PDA

View Full Version : Tag! You're it!

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-03, 04:13 PM
The constant far-off drip, drip, drip echoing off the walls became tiresome mayhaps three hours ago. Two hours ago, it became downright annoying. Now it just seems to be mocking each and every one of you...

You became familiar with the name Sindrallin only recently. This entity styles himself as the eminent power on the continent of Gralthas, known as the Wild Continent. A continent that the five of you are reluctantly becoming incredibly familiar with. Familiar in a way that is quite uncomfortable. Like watching a bugbear attempt to romance a pixie, nothing good has come of this experience.

You each have been privy to despots, terrorists, and ne'er do wells who blame their predicaments on the rest of the world. By the blessing of the gods, your own willpower, sheer determination, and luck(one can never forget luck!) you have put down these poor souls and become what was once said as "Big Damn Heroes."

This of course apparently is what drew you to the island continent of Gralthas. Though your careers as 'do-gooders' and saviours has been incredibly lucrative, it also bears the responsibility of having to answer to higher powers, moral imperatives and just the plain trodden upon. The last 10 'quests' you have gone upon have all been at the behest of 'good' organizations or individuals. Each of whom had their own political or selfish reasons for requesting your assistance, and surprisingly you've kept your heads above water in terms of getting wrapped up in others' schemes and politics. But honestly, when you're concentrating on keeping your head above the water, who expects the shark to bite at just that moment?

You received Sindrallin's calling card in the form of a wagon. The wagon had no driver, no traces of magic and no lingering traces of anything worth divining. What it did have was a load of disease-ridden corpses, former aquaintances on some of your recent quests. The rest of the bodies belonged to their families, apparently. The dead children were quite disturbing, as their vacant eyes stared at each of you above beatific smiles. A simple scroll was laying atop the seat of the wagon. It read as follows:

Greetings and fair tidings,

I send this as a message to you. I believe in directness and communicating in a way that leaves no chance for doubt. Retire. Seek fortunes without assisting others. Kill yourselves with your pointy metal sticks. I care not how you refrain from meddling in affairs that you don't belong in, but heed my warning.

Sindrallin

Needless to say, the 'warning' did anything but. Through various contacts you were able to track the name to an Elven warlord, alive some 500 years ago. He died attempting to save his burgeoning nation from a mad necromancer bent on killing all elves. The burial tomb was built upon the precipice of a massive canyon and enchanted by his followers to be a beacon of light for all. The necromancer's allies destroyed it five years later in a battle known only as 'The Breach'.

You now wander amidst the catacombs beneath the location of the tomb. You know, the place where the dripping water is mocking each of you for having taken this path.

A natural stone pathway has descended for what must be nearly half a mile. There are traces of magic in the air constantly and you've seen a few ambivalent spirits. The pathway opens wider before you to show you a large cavern twice the size of Pelor's greatest temple. The damnable drip seems loudest here. It strikes each of you that you don't know where to go from here.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-03, 05:59 PM
Leila looks around in the cave, absent-mindedly scratching Fluffy, her trusted dinosaur companion, behind his ears.
"Perhaps we should stop here for a minute and see what we can work with", she says. "We're up against a 500-year-old necromancer after all. We shouldn't take this lightly. Let's see whether we have some useful spells that can save us the day." Flexing her muscles she adds: "I could scout out the cave, if you wish."

noparlpf
2011-08-03, 07:58 PM
Pyren stops beside her and shoulders his greataxe, which he has been carrying. "Gods, I hate necromancers," he says, distaste showing on his face. He continues, "Anyhow, to focus on the task immediately at hand, I can help search the cave. It is quite large. Perhaps we can find some sign directing us towards our next path."

ufis
2011-08-04, 01:24 AM
Skelm

Another bad guy. Another creepy place. Why do bad guys always have to keep to these places? Why can they not take the top floor of the local luxury inn. That way I could just check in at the front desk, walk up stairs and save the day. "But no! They have to live in caves. With bad plumbing!"
Realising that the last part of my thoughts was coming out in a mumble, I stop myself and look sheepishly at the rest of the party.
"Someone should fix the plumbing in here" I try to cover it up with a joke. "I was just ... oh never mind. I'll go see what is around."

Without waiting for a reply I proceed to scout ahead. Looking for anything of interest, especially the kind that hurts. Still remembering the time when we hunted that assassin and the trap that took my arm. It is all good and well that the clerics could grow it back, but it still hurt like hell. I finger my ring and draw my focus back to the task at hand, slipping off into the shadows ahead.

Stealth: [roll0]
Search: [roll1]
Perception: [roll2]

SleepyBadger
2011-08-04, 03:53 AM
"Hasty as ever", Leila remarks watching Skelm sneak away in the darkness. Then she turns to Pyren. "Maybe we could go the other way. As you said, this cave is gigantic. Fluffy will wait here so that the others know we went this way. But first I need a more useful scouting form in case we have to walk through walls. Let me know if I can help you with something." She intones the words of a powerful spell and turns into a dread wraith.
OoC: Casting Shapechange. ReluctantDragon: will put the stats for the current shapechanged / wildshaped / thousand faces form into the 'Other Notes' section on my sheet.
The wraith winks at Pyren with its incorporeal eye and waits for him to move forward.

DrK
2011-08-04, 04:04 AM
Titus

Titus looks at his companions and the massive echoing cave complex. He looks at his companion, a smile flashing across his face, "I on the other hand love Necromancers, just long enough to watch them explode.".

"I sense great evil in this place. Pelor will shield us however". With that a golden glow seeps out from the amulet around his neck encompassing him and anyone near by. He turns to look at the ferocious beast beside him. "Fluffy and I shall await news of where next to go. In this steel I am not the best scout."

Cast magic circle against evil; it'll last for 3 hours. While the resistance and the defelction may be moot, the Protection against Mindaffecting may be useful.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-04, 05:20 AM
"All I care is that when we get to the end, I plan on making sure he stays dead," Luthar says as he hefts his sword. "I do so think that justice must be served for the message we received."

noparlpf
2011-08-04, 06:17 AM
"I should be alright, thanks," Pyren says to Leila. He moves ahead into the cavern, looking around and occasionally kneeling to get a closer look at the ground.

Perception: [roll0]
Survival: [roll2] (Looking for tracks, etc.; +2 synergy from Search)

By the bye, what's the illumination like in here? We all have human eyes except for Fluffy and now Leila. I would assume that if it's dark, somebody would have brought a torch or at least cast Light on something.

Edit: Oh, gods. My first roll for the game and it's a nat 1?

stanleyindraven
2011-08-04, 07:13 AM
Luthar will wander about the cavern looking about..

Perception
[roll0]

SleepyBadger
2011-08-04, 07:56 AM
Leila goes with Pyren, searching for tracks and peering about (OoC: darkvision 60').
Survival: [roll1]

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-04, 08:03 AM
Concerning light:

It is as dark as an unlit cave would be. Darkvision allows vision out to the normal limits. Any light sources operate normally.

Leila flits from stalagmite to gully to column. Limestone and marble make up a large amount of the stone around you. Your darkvision begins to show you remnants of the past as you move into the right forward section of the cavern. It truly is as immense as it feels. You see bones of long-dead warriors. Rusted and corroded armor. The dripping is heaviest at a large pool that contains many armored skeletons. You hear a 'skrunch' sound before you see large antennae flitting about, testing the air. A rust monster is here making a meal out of the armor. From its size, the dead around the cavern have made a wonderful smorgasbord for the massive creature. It continues to eat the nearby metal, paying scant attention to you.

As you pass by another set of small pools you see a large stone structure, not natural as the rest of the cavern is. It is made from obsidian at first glance and is as large as a small inn, from its dimensions that you can see. It appears to be at an angle that shows it has sunk into the cavern floor some. As you float to the top of the structure, you see a large, broken statue of an armored and robed elf. He looks quite inspiring and menacing at the same time.

DrK
2011-08-04, 09:11 AM
Titus

Titus reaches into his bag and pulls out a strange floating orb that bursts into bright blue light. Releasing it gently it orbits him slowly bathing the area near him and fluffy in pale bluish light.

Just in case that doesn't help he also pulls on his Oakley brand goggles of Darkvision, the black and white vision seeing slightly further than the flickering pale blue glow.

Wandering slowly forward he'll call out to his friends Luthar, Leila, Pyren, Skelm.... the voice echoing in the vast confines of the space Have you found anything? Or a way down into the lair of this necromancer. Looking at fluffy he asks the fearsom beast... What about you? Do you smell anything?

SleepyBadger
2011-08-04, 09:19 AM
OoC: How well did we do our homework about Sindrallin? Did we see any illustrations about him in books, journals etc? Does the statue portay him?
Strange, a rust monster, Leila muses. One would think noone had been here for ages, and yet there's still metal around for it to feed on. Leila floats closer to the corpses of fallen warriors and tries to determine how long they might have been dead. She will also try to guess the cause of death, if she's able to.
Heal check: [roll0]

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-04, 09:54 AM
@Leila

ooc

Pretty much everything that was covered in the opening. An educated guess would indicate that this is a statue of Sindrallin.

Death has been for longer than centuries as far as you can tell. Death was violent given the position of bodies and on some of the molded bones show cut marks.

@ Other searchers
Limestone and other stone decorates the environment around you. It is slow going as even with light sources, the darkness seems oppressive. The amount of space you are covering seems minute compared to the amount of area that this cavern encompasses. Fool's errand enters your mind a few times to say the least.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-04, 10:03 AM
"Titus, can you put some daylight in this cave," Luthar calls out to his companion.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-04, 10:07 AM
Leila floats back to Titus and beckons him with her incorporeal hand to follow. She also points at Fluffy and then at Titus again to indicate he should call the dinosaur to go with him.
If they follow she will lead them to the statue of Sindrallin.

DrK
2011-08-04, 10:10 AM
Titus
I'm afriad not my friend. I did not pray for light this morning. Slow and methodical we may well have to be.

Titus then looks sadly at the small 60ft area of pale blue light shed by his ioun torch. Jerking away slightly as the wraith floats up to him he then nods turns to the beast come along fluffy and follows the dread wraith towards the statue.

Is there anything dangerous there my incorporeal friend? A thumbs up or down should suffice if you can't speak... Luthar, come this way. Leila has found something.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-04, 10:18 AM
Luthar will change his direction to follow the cleric's light.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-04, 10:21 AM
Reaching the statue Leila uses her spell's ability to switch form instantly and turns into an aasimar. (OoC: if there are any in the world. If not, something with darkvision and a tongue.)
"That's the only interesting thing I found", she explains. "I also saw some long dead warriors who seem to have died in battle. And I met a rust monster, which still managed to find some metal to feed on after all these years." She thinks for a moment. "I could resume gaseous form and search for secret passages along the walls."

DrK
2011-08-04, 10:31 AM
Titus

An interesting find. And an imposing statue. I hope the rust monster doesn't get peckish! he jokes pointing at his and Luthar's adamantine and mithral gear. A rich meal indeed for one of those beasts!.

With that Titus hesitantly apporaches the statue looking for anything around or on it.

Search [roll0]
Spot [roll1]

Know (religion) [roll2] to look for any relgious markings

stanleyindraven
2011-08-04, 10:53 AM
"Yes, rust monster, that is a horrible thing for us," Luther says as he looks over his shoulder.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-04, 11:05 AM
"A rust monster would not really pose a threat to either of us", Leila remarks. "I will go on another scouting mission then", she adds, confident in her companions' abilities to examine the statue thoroughly. "Unfortunately I'm not really skilled in arcane or religious lore so I can't be of too much help here". With that she reassumes the form of a dread wraith and proceeds to fly around the walls, in fact flying within the cave walls making sure a small part of her stays connected with the cave interior all the time.
OoC: does she see any secret passages leading away from the cave?

ufis
2011-08-04, 01:30 PM
I stop dead in my tracks and throw my hands in the air in disbelieve. It should not really surprise me anymore. They never seem to care about doing things quietly. Next time they may as well bring a marching band along. I quietly move to where Luthar is struggling along in poor light and appear from the shadows behind him. "Could you be any louder?" I smile jokingly at him, and accompany him to the obsidian structure.

I try to walk around the obsidian structure, looking for obvious entrances. If there are none I will look a little closer.

Search: [roll0]

stanleyindraven
2011-08-04, 01:45 PM
"I could but then I wouldn't need this light," Luthar says as he waves his torch. Luther will then start pushing on the structure as he follows Skelm around its perimeter.

noparlpf
2011-08-04, 04:20 PM
Having wandered off a ways searching for tracks or other signs, Pyren now hears the commotion over by what turns out, as he approaches close enough to see, to be a large stone structure topped by a statue. "I haven't found anything interesting yet," he says, "though it would appear that somebody else has stumbled across this little find. Do you think that statue is a representation of Sindrallin? I'm a little confused about who this Sindrallin is...was he the elf lord we found out about?"

ufis
2011-08-05, 12:28 AM
"Yes, Sindrallin was the Elf Lord. Some mad necromancer killed him. Which has me worried. Why would an elf, that seemed to be fighting for good, that has been dead for 500 years start sending us carts full of dead people?" I stop to contemplate about something for a moment. "My guess would be the necromancer had something to do with it. Did we ever learn if this necro was a he or a she? Anyway, I think our first objective should be to learn if Sindrallin is a puppet or willing servant. Or even the new puppet master."

noparlpf
2011-08-05, 11:16 AM
Pyren follows Skelm as the other man makes his way around the obsidian structure. "The necromancer's forces destroyed Sindrallin's tomb, right? It's possible that he raised Sindrallin. Of course, puppets generally have masters, and it has been five hundred years since then. Most people don't live five hundred years. I hope we're not dealing with a lich," Pyren replies. "There's also the possibility that somebody is using Sindrallin's name either to desecrate the name or to throw us off the right track. Speaking of the right track, have you found anything interesting on or around this that might point us in the right direction?" he asks, gesturing towards the statue.

DrK
2011-08-05, 04:14 PM
Titus

Titus looks confused by the current trend of chatter. At this point does it really matter if it is one necromancer or two. Eitrher way after the calling card they left they deserve the harshest of Pelor's judgement.

Pacing round the statue he looks at the more nefarious members of the group. So any way in? Or must we venture further into the cave?

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-05, 04:21 PM
@ everyone searching the statue and beir and can read Draconic:

You each are able to make out scratched and worn down runes. Those of you versed in Draconic recognize arcane markings of protection, mainly from the Abjuration school.

@ everyone searching the statue and beir and can read Elven:

You are able to make out a hard to read description known as the Epic of Sindrallin. It details quite a bit of melodramatic nonsense concerning Sindrallin and his heroic escapades, referred to as self-inflicted trials.

Something of interest is how he was known as Sillia'nalla Druch. 'The Tortured One.'

@ Titus

While you do see quite a few distinctly unreadable marks the few you do discern refer to the request for blessings from Corellon Larethian, benedictions from Wee Jas, and a call for 'reforging' to Moradin, of all deities. These wards and blessings are quite varied in your experience.

@Leila

Over time, you find the walls along the Western end of the cavern. You see multiple holes in the natural cavern walls. Also you find cracks wide enough for an ogre to walk through. Without traversing down them a distance, you can't tell if they lead up or down.

@ufis

You find something interesting at one of the corners of the beir. While quite a bit of the statue and beir has been damaged, this corner appears whole except for a large boulder that seems to have depressed a section of corner that opens into a small space, wide enough for a man, from what you can tell. At this point it is impossible to access without removing the boulder.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-05, 04:46 PM
Having finished scouting along the walls Leila returns to the others standing around the statue and assumes aasimar form again. "Any luck with that?", she asks. "I found some tunnels along the western wall", she continues. "By the way has any of you tried to detect magic around here already?" She intones the spell and looks around, starting with the statue.
OoC: she also tries to avoid looking down at herself or her companions. No surprises there :smallsmile: Spellcraft: [roll0]

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-05, 05:00 PM
@Leila

You see an overall aura of faint strength. After a longer examination it appears it is Abjuration in nature and was quite powerful, perhaps even Overwhelming when it was more active. It is definitely near its end in terms of power. This emanation comes from the entire bier and statue.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-05, 05:15 PM
"Looks like there was once powerful warding magic on this statue." Leila states. "But it seems to be fading now. Wonder if that's the work of our insane necromancer. Or maybe this whole place is a red herring. Or even a trap. After all anyone could adopt the name 'Sindrallin'."

stanleyindraven
2011-08-05, 09:51 PM
"Looks like a bunch of old hokus pokus to me, but what do I know," Luthar shrugs.

ufis
2011-08-06, 05:01 AM
After careful inspection of the rock and what part I can see of the opening I return to the others.
"Think I have found a way in. Just have this odd problem of a large rock blocking the way."

SleepyBadger
2011-08-06, 05:41 AM
"How big is that rock?" Leila inquires before turning into a cloud giant. "Let me see. You could all help pushing it aside if I can't do it alone." She walks over and tries to move the boulder.
Current Strength: 41 (35+6 from boot and clasp) and being huge: Max load: 29440 lb, Max lift: 58880 lb, max push: 147200 lb.)

DrK
2011-08-06, 04:32 PM
Titus

Titus looks at it, "maybe I could merely persuade the stone to move out the way? If not then by all means I'll assist you in moving the rock. THough I may not be help" Titus adds the last with a smile as he gazes up at the towering Storm Giant.

OOC
Does enough magic remain to block or prevent stoneshape?

noparlpf
2011-08-06, 07:44 PM
"Why waste a spell on a rock, Titus?" Pyren asks. "Leila's already turned herself into a giant, and Luthar and I could probably have moved it anyway. Assuming, of course, that it's not magically glued in place." He waits to see whether Leila can move the rock unaided.

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-07, 06:44 AM
@Leila

We'll say its at or under 29 tons, so yeah, you can lift it.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-07, 07:14 AM
Cloud giant-Leila lifts the boulder and puts it aside carefully. She then reassumes the dread wraith form to check out the tunnel behind it.
Does it lead downward? How wide is it? Are there any noises coming from it? Perception: [roll0]

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-07, 05:19 PM
@Leila

Wide enough for 1 Medium sized creature at a time. It does lead downward, but that is apparently only because the statue/bier itself is at an angle. No sounds other than crumbling pebbles and rock.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-07, 07:47 PM
Leila casts reduce animal on Fluffy and silently pantomimes to her companions that they should pick up the miniature dinosaur. She then motions questioningly at the tunnel waiting for someone to take the lead.

noparlpf
2011-08-07, 07:53 PM
"I'll go first," Pyren says, perfectly happy to take the lead. He cautiously descends into the tunnel.

ufis
2011-08-08, 12:15 AM
I consider for a moment to say nothing.
"If you would like to step on some horrible trap, by all means, lead the way."
I wait for everyone to enter and take the rear, searching for anything interesting that they have passed by. I also make some marks on the walls (using chalk) that will show us the way out.

DrK
2011-08-08, 01:03 AM
Titus

WIth the well lit ioun stone orbiting my head and bouncing off the walls Titus picks up fluffy in his weapon arm and heads down the gap after pyren. I sense this will not end well. Something seems amiss here.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-08, 03:41 AM
Seeing that Fluffy will be safe with Titus and Skelm looking intent on taking the rear Leila follows Titus into the tunnel, her incorporeal form partially melding into the stone walls. She also keeps looking out for anything suspicious.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-08, 05:52 AM
Luthar lumbers between Pyren and Titus and keeps his torch aloft. "I think I agree that this may be a poor choice, but may also lead to victory," he whispers to his companions.

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-08, 10:21 AM
Footsteps echo down into the darkness. The random scratch of metal on stone and leather scuffing pebbles makes the silence even more ominous.

You all come to a right turn in the tunnel. A collection of dust and dirt continues on down the passage to the right.

@Skelm

Thanks to your familiarity with work such as this you are able to surmise that the tunnel so far seems to be following the outline of the bier. Following that train of thought, you can assume that the bier itself is hollow and it appears that this path will lead to the center of the bier itself.

noparlpf
2011-08-08, 01:59 PM
Pyren pauses at the bend in the passage and cautiously looks around the corner.

If it seems safe, he's going to continue around the corner and keep going.
Should I roll Perception again, or is his latest roll good enough for now?

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-08, 03:17 PM
@Pyren

Good enough for now.

The light treads down the corridor a good bit, bringing nothing but more of the same dusty hallway. The decline of the floor here forces you to control your balance.
[roll0]
Your foot lands on a patch of pebbles and your leg flies out from beneath you, as you slide farther down the hallway!

Everyone sees Pyren turn the corner then slip and slide out of site.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-08, 04:26 PM
Leila floats around the others partially within the wall to be at Pyren's side if he gets attacked. She will continue to check for dangers:
Perception: 1d20+26
OoC Edit: sorry, rerolling in the OoC.

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-08, 05:15 PM
@ Leila

So far nothing has come up or attacked. Pyren sits at the end of the hallway facing back towards you, dusty and coughing. A pile of debris is behind him, dirt and dust from the looks of it. The hallway turns to the right again.

noparlpf
2011-08-08, 05:22 PM
Pyren stands up, leaning against the wall for support. "I'm alright," he says quietly. "I just slipped on some loose gravel. Anything down there that might hear us probably has by now." He looks down the new turn of the hallway.
Does he see anything worth noting yet?
If it looks safe to continue, he's going to keep heading down the passage, more cautiously this time. (I hope.) Roll Balance for me again if it's necessary.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-08, 05:30 PM
Leila follows Pyren on his way.

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-08, 05:53 PM
@Pyren

Nothing more to note. More of the same.

@Leila

You almost think you hear something outside, back from the way you came. It was like a whisper of wind amidst one of the few silent moments between the breathing, scraping, stepping, and bumping of your companions.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-08, 06:16 PM
Leila motions to Pyren to stop and points at her incorporeal ears indicating that she has heard something. She then turns back the way they came, floating back within the walls so as not to touch her companions accidentally. She stops to listen occasionally eager to determine the source of the whispering noises. (OoC: If it turns out to be the wind she will curse silently under her breath and enter the tunnel again :smallsmile:)

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-08, 06:52 PM
@Leila

The time it takes you to pass your companions and get behind them offers no recurrence of the 'sound' you heard.

Everyone else has the option of continuing on or waiting to see what Leila communicates next.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-08, 07:04 PM
Leila stays motionless for a minute waiting to hear that noise again. If nothing happens she will turn back, wave at her companions as she passes them and continue along the tunnel.

noparlpf
2011-08-08, 07:28 PM
Pyren waits at the bend in the tunnel while Leila checks out what she heard. He tries to listen more carefully in case he hears something too.
Edit: NOPE. This is actually kind of amusing. Usually in real life I only roll this badly on initiative.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-08, 08:24 PM
Luthar continues down the hall after Pyren, can't just leave him alone.

DrK
2011-08-09, 12:42 AM
Titus

With the light bouncing off the walls around his head and a dinosaur in his hands Titus looks at the wraith floating back up through him and his friends.
What is it Leila? Stopping he has a listen and also looks the dinosaur in the eyes Do you hear or smell something fluffy?

My poor perception roll of [roll0]

ufis
2011-08-09, 11:10 AM
I follow Leila back out.

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-09, 03:21 PM
@Skelm

You see the wraith-form of Leila turn back towards the front of the group. As you still yourself and listen, you detect nothing out of the ordinary. The faint drip-drip sound that might have always been in your ears is there, but nothing else.

Pyren appears to be unharmed and the group has the ability to continue on, if they so choose.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-09, 03:47 PM
Seeing that Pyren is fine Leila continues forward.

ufis
2011-08-09, 03:52 PM
I continue down the passage (rear guard) all the time making markings to show us the way out

Balance for the gravel [roll0]

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-09, 09:34 PM
@Pyren and Leila

You continue up the next turn, a bit more slowly as it is both an incline and in an effort to maintain your balance. You continue the same distance as before, owing to the square nature of the bier that you travel within. At the next turning, you are able to see a wide entryway that opens up on the right. This appears to go into the middle of the bier.

@ Skelm, Luthar and Titus

You continue on down the passage, narrowly avoiding the same fate as Pyren. Both he and the diaphanous form of Leila disappear around another turning. As you continue on, you see the back of Pyren just around the corner, with Leila floating just within site.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-09, 09:38 PM
Leila waits for the others to catch up and then point towards the middle of the bier indicating she'd like to continue in that direction.

DrK
2011-08-10, 01:36 AM
Titus

Titus looks at the 2 scouts then as its explained what's up ahead nods in agreement whispering If you're going to scout ahead just shout if there is trouble and we'll arrive like a ton of bricks

SleepyBadger
2011-08-10, 05:51 AM
Leila gives Titus a thumbs up commenting on the remark, knowing he wouldn't recognize her grin.

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-11, 02:08 PM
As Pyren and Leila tread into the large opening comprising the middle of the bier, Pyren's light goes dark and you hear a light 'thump'.

@Pyren and Leila

Pyren's everburning light source immediately stops emitting light as soon as he crosses the threshold of the room.

Leila's form becomes heavy again and she can no longer see in the dark. Your feet hit the floor with a light 'thump' as your body changes back to normal.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-11, 02:18 PM
Luthar will rush up to the room opening to try and see his companions.

ufis
2011-08-11, 02:36 PM
As the light goes out I figure something is wrong. Everlasting lights do not just go out.

I sneak closer and cast detect magic when I get close focusing on the area where they are standing.

stealth: [roll0]

SleepyBadger
2011-08-11, 03:08 PM
Leila backpedals to the spot where she was still floating. Is her spell still in place? (OoC: is it an antimagic field which only surpresses magic or was this some group dispelling effect?)

DrK
2011-08-11, 03:31 PM
Titus

Titus looks ahead as Pyren's light goes out and Leila suddenly turns back to normal. Hmm, that doesn't bode well. He looks around for the fighter and the barbarian. Luthar, maybe you should lead the way, even without magic you are a mighty warior

stanleyindraven
2011-08-11, 03:36 PM
"If the magic goes out, I can't see, anyone have a regular torch or lantern," Luthar says to the others.

noparlpf
2011-08-11, 04:16 PM
"I'm okay, so far. All that's happened yet is that my light went out," Pyren says.
Assuming he can see well enough from the lights in the hall, and if nothing happens, he's going take a moment to light a non-magical torch.

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-11, 05:52 PM
Luthar, Titus and Skelm see Leila back out of the room. As she fully exits the room into the hallway, she regains her wraith form with an audible 'whoosh' sound. Pyren stands just inside the room and just now has managed to light a bound set of sticks. The torch tosses a warm glow over the scene. Something beckons the eye just outside of the torch's glow, but can't be fully seen from here.

@Skelm

Your detect magic sees nothing and in fact seems to stop dead at the edge of the hallway, entering the room. That certain twinkle that lets you know its working doesn't seem to be there whenever you look at the room.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-11, 06:03 PM
Leila steps back inside the dead magic zone and follows Pyren with his torchlight. "Thanks for carrying Fluffy", she says over her shoulder to Titus. "But you better let go of him now... and let him carry you", she adds with a grin.

noparlpf
2011-08-11, 06:08 PM
"You all should probably get in here and stay fairly close to me if you want to see," Pyren says. "Can anybody make out anything in here?" He moves forwards a bit.
Edit: Obviously all my poor rolls for Perception and other skills mean I'll roll excellently on attack rolls, right? ;-;

SleepyBadger
2011-08-11, 06:18 PM
Leila tries to look carefully.
[roll0]

stanleyindraven
2011-08-11, 08:40 PM
Luthar will cross the threshold.

Perception
[roll0]

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-11, 08:48 PM
@Pyren, Leila and Luthar

You see a raised platform jutting from the onyx floor. Rather than constructed, it looks as though it has been pulled from the floor with magical means. The platform holds a tomb with a cover showing a face similar to that of the elven hero on the statue outside. From this you surmise it to be Sindrallin's actual tomb. Of note are the skeletons strewn about the floor. There appear to be five, some elven, some other races. One of the elven skeletons has a hand stretched out grasping at the tomb. The skeleton's former clothing is in tatters and the armor is rusted and pitted. Some of the corpses have weapons protruding from ribs, obviously denoting the cause of death.

noparlpf
2011-08-11, 09:00 PM
"Hey, doesn't that look like Sindrallin? I mean, assuming the statue on the top of this thing is of Sindrallin. But wasn't his tomb built on the edge of a canyon?" Pyren wonders aloud. "Do you think he's still inside? That would answer the question of whether it's actually he who sent us that cart of corpses."

SleepyBadger
2011-08-11, 09:53 PM
"Would you be able to recognize Sindrallin's bones, my friend?", Leila inquires dryly. "Anyway, what an odd place for a tomb. This looks more and more like a trap to me."
OoC: Are dead magic areas "normal" in this world? Did we ever encounter anything similar?

noparlpf
2011-08-11, 10:29 PM
"I don't do all that mumbo-jumbo magic stuff like you," Pyren replies. "Isn't anything possible with magic? I was hoping that maybe you or Titus had some spell to identify a corpse. However, I agree. The tomb was supposed to have been aboveground somewhere before being raided. This is quite suspicious."

ufis
2011-08-12, 12:41 AM
I stop at the edge, not entering the dead magic zone. What else will not be working properly in there? I think to myself, remembering the wise words of my old master warning me not to get too dependent on magic and it's luxuries.

"This whole area is without magic. Looking at all the warding magic used on this place my best guess would be that this is a spell that is in effect. Strong magic. Now the question should be, is it here to keep something out, or to keep something in?" With that last bit I point at the tomb.

I will try to determine the origins of the dead magic, whether it is a spell in effect, or by means of something mechanical or some object.I will also try to determine if it is possible to "turn it off" or if it would take other strong magic to remove it.

search: [roll0]
knowledge arcana: [roll1]

DrK
2011-08-12, 02:44 AM
Titus

Titus steps forward without fear remembering the words of Pelor. This is strange. I am most suspicious. Maybe we can drag a corpse into the magic zone and examine it more? Or look for a way through. THis dead magic may be highly localised.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-12, 03:49 AM
"Have you ever heard of a spell like that, Titus?" Leila inquires. "Looks to be a very powerful one indeed." She then looks at her other companions. "Could someone check the tomb for traps, please?"

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-12, 04:41 PM
@Leila

Dead magic areas are definitely not normal. The only thing you have heard of even remotely similar is an Anti-Magic Field.

@Skelm

This environment tickles your memory. Hearing about an Anti-Magic Field comes back to you. No spells can be cast within its areas and any existing spells are subdued within its range. You'd bet platinum to copper that this is such an instance. Normally it is cast by someone, but it could potentially be cast on an object. Given the fact that the only substantial object in the room is the tomb, then you'd be compelled to think that the tomb is the source.

noparlpf
2011-08-12, 04:52 PM
"If our magic items and spells don't work, do you think undead can function here?" Pyren asks. "Because all these skeletons around worry me a little, especially if there's the possibility that we're dealing with a necromancer." He starts to look around the room, and also tries to see if any tracks may have survived in the dust that could tell him what happened here.
Survival: [roll2] (+2 synergy from Search when looking for tracks)

SleepyBadger
2011-08-12, 04:58 PM
"A very powerful anti-magic field indeed", Leila surmises. "Normally a caster could only center it on himself and its area would never be that huge..."
[roll0] to know this.
"So I guess we're up against a being with almost divine powers here", she continues. "I hope we won't fail in our task..." She turns around looking at her companions. "Could someone please check the tomb for traps?" she repeats. "Magical traps wouldn't be triggered in an anti-magic field anyway. And yes, undead could potentially function here depending on how they were created", she answers after hearing Pyren's question.

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-12, 05:02 PM
@Pyren

From what you can tell with your practiced eye, no living thing has set foot in this location since before you were born, more than likely even far older than that.

@Leila

The only way, aside from divine acts, that you could conceive of something like this being done is with a spell that involves multiple casters. Many casters at that.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-12, 05:56 PM
"We should collect the weapons just in case the opening of the tomb disrupts the anti-magic field somehow and raises them as undead", Leila says. "And Titus is right, we should carry a skeleton out the field so that he can examine it more closely." She starts collecting the weapons and will also help Titus move one of the bodies.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-12, 10:11 PM
Luthar checks over the tomb for obvious traps. He has been burned by a few himself.

Search [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

DrK
2011-08-13, 01:16 AM
Titus

Titus pauses and looks around the more closely for a souce of the anti-magic or any infornation on the skeletons. This is all very strange and unusal. Most unnatural he remarks as he's carrying the remains.

Knowledge Religion [roll0]
Knowledge Arcana [roll1]
Spellcraft [roll2]
Spot [roll3]

ufis
2011-08-13, 01:32 AM
"Yes, Luthar. Just poke around there a bit. Pushing and pulling on everything will sure find you any traps that is there." The sarcasm in my voice is clear. I have been growing increasingly frustrated with the two meatshields blindly charging into situations. Someday one of them will get themselves or someone else killed. Maybe ...

I force myself to bring my attention back to the situation at hand.

"Can someone inform me again why we are turning into grave robbers? Is there a reason for us to open the tomb? Has anyone checked the other side of this room? Where does it lead? Have we looked for any other clues? No. We just arrive here, storm inside and then 'Hey looky here, It seems like there is an ancient Elf burried here, lets open it up and see.' Do we even know that it was actually Sindrallin that sent us that 'message'? Maybe our necromancer friend, if it even is his hand at play, has found this anti magic field too much of a complication and decided to fool a couple of gullible adventurers into removing it for him by sending a cart full of dead people with a note."

I realise that my frustrations has gotten the better of me and I immediately lower my voice.

"If there is no good reason for us to open that up I will not assist in doing so."

I remain outside of the anti magic zone, waiting for an answer.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-13, 01:54 AM
Wonder why Skelm doesn't go home to hide under his pillow, Leila muses. Has he always been like that? Wonder why I don't let loose an earthquake over this whole cursed place ensuring that whatever lies in that tomb is buried deep within the earth since no anti-magic field would have the power to stop a shower of gigantic rocks... She sighs. "Do you need any help?" she asks Titus after collecting the weapons in a heap. "If you don't I will try and talk to the stones outside. Maybe they have some idea about what happened here."

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-13, 06:38 AM
@Luthar

You can discern no obvious traps or pitfalls. Much of what you can see seems featureless, save for the tomb itself. You can detect little beyond the light of Pyren's torch.

@Titus

Ha! The blessings of Pelor have never led you astray! This is obviously an enchantment of powerful magic. An Anti-Magic Field, or so it has been called before. Rarely do you find one so powerful to be permanent...
Mayhaps...hmm...mayhaps this place was enchanted by more than one person. Indeed! That seems the most likely manner to do such. Given the fact that all you can see in this featureless room, with the help of Pyren's torch, is the tomb, you can only surmise that the tomb is the source of the enchantment.

DrK
2011-08-13, 06:55 AM
Titus

Pyren may I borrow your torch? Titus asks before wandering forward and examining the tomb in greater detail, running his hands over it and seeking to get a feel of its good or evil. I think the tomb is the emanation of the anti-magic. Maybe we should seek to open it? Luthar, can you help me?

I'll examine the tomb some more to see if it's good or evil?
[roll0]- Know: Religion

ufis
2011-08-13, 07:39 AM
Seeing that my questions and concerns are basically ignored I blend into the shadows, unseen even from my companions. I quickly venture into the anti magic area, moving through it to the other side to inspect the other side of the room and where it may lead. Should I find nothing that way I will return the way we came in and see if there are other routes besides the one we used. All the time I continue to search for traps and secret passages.

I will not venture too far away from the rest of the group.

With my base land speed of 50 I should still be fairly quick about it.
2 rolls each if you need more than 1.
Stealth: [roll0] [roll1]
Search: [roll2] [roll3]

stanleyindraven
2011-08-13, 12:11 PM
"Hadn't planned on opening it, it doesn't look disturbed. That means someone either was very careful getting out, or it has not been opened. I say we vote before taking the lid off," Luthar says as he stands beside the stone sarcophagus.

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-13, 02:16 PM
@Skelm

The searching goes well, at least in terms of results. No traps or pitfalls. You do notice that there is a peculiar hole in the ceiling of the room that might go all the way out to the bier. It is placed directly above the tomb. Aside from that, the room looks safe enough. The tomb appears well sealed and doesn't look as though anything has been done to it in your lifetime.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-13, 03:48 PM
Seeing that Titus doesn't need her help Leila announces: "I will then go outside and ask the stones about the history of this place. You're all welcome to suggest topics." She then steps outside the anti-magic field out to the main tunnel they came from and turns into an aasimar to cast Stone Tell on the tunnel wall.
"How old is this tunnel? Who made it? Who created the tomb on the other side? What sort of people or creatures have entered the tomb ever since it was created? Have you ever seen a fight here? If yes who or what were the attackers? Did they overcome the defenses? Who or what was the last being or group of beings that walked by here before we came along?"
OoC: Given the nature of PbP I'd like to ask a bunch of questions at the same time rather than asking them one by one, if that's OK with you RD. I will then ask some more depending on the answers. The spell lasts 17 minutes.

ufis
2011-08-15, 04:22 AM
I step out of the shadows close to the others.
"Check the hole in the ceiling. Could I borrow one of those glowing coins you have?" I ask to nobody in particular. "We could tie the coin to an arrow and shoot it up the hole. When it leaves the anti magic zone it should glow again and tell us where the hole goes." I look at the others with a slight grin "Just be careful looking up the hole when the arrow comes down. We don't want anyone to lose an eye."
"Oh, andyoumaynotgetthecoinorarrowback." I quickly and softly adds at the end.

How high is the ceiling?

I check to see if it would be possible to climb to the hole, and maybe climb into it (if it is big enough).

OOC:Lots of if then bits coming up to prevent to-and-fro posts being required.

1. If my rope of climbing functions I will use it to climb to the hole.
2. If not I will climb up the wall and see if I can climb out above the anti magic bubble and use the rope of climbing from there to move across the ceiling.
3. If not possible to use the rope at all and if the ceiling is no more than 30 feet high I will climb to the hole using manual means.

I inspect the hole to see if I can see where it leads and to locate any surprises inside the hole.

If it seems safe to do so and possible to climb up the chimney I will do so. At various intervals I will retry the rope of climbing to see if I can use it.

Rolls
Climb: [roll0]
Perception (into the hole) [roll1]
Search (inside the hole) [roll2]
Climb (into the hole) [roll3]

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-16, 02:28 PM
@Leila

A light shudder seems to echo through you in response to the spell. A gravelly voice responds to your first question within your head.

This passageway was made countless drippings ago. Once, the sun shone upon the outside. Now we just know drippings. I remember thinlings. Some thinner than others, some that had the power within them, some without. The same thinlings made the tomb. I remember some more thinlings, before the sun went away. They fought and let go of their own drippings around us, on us. They stopped moving and became like us. Some were thinlings and bigger thinlings. Others were thinlings and thinner thinlings. Some of them ventured inside and others came in to stop them. That was the last I recall of thinlings until you.

@Skelm

The ceiling rises twenty feet at its highest. It is beveled and the lower surrounding edge is at eighteen feet. The hole is not something you would fit into. As you check your rope, you notice the distinct fact that it appears to be normal rope. You try tossing the rope at the ceiling to see if it regains its magical properties. It does not. You do notice from observation that the smoke from Pyren’s torch does exit out the hole and does not seem to have any impediment. You manage to get up the wall safely, but the nature of the ceiling will not easily allow you to look directly through the hole. Pondering on the evidence you have seen would lead you to believe that it leads out through the top of the beir, beneath the statue of Sindrallin.

Leila seems intent on studying the wall outside of the tomb and Skelm, as is normal, begins to perform acrobatic wonders for all to behold, seemingly investigating the ceiling and what appears to be a hole at its center.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-16, 03:52 PM
"You speak a funny dialect very much different from any other stones I've ever spoken to", Leila grins. "So the last thinlings you remember until we came along... you said there were some who ventured in and some who came to stop them. Which side managed to overcome the other? Also, does your ignorance of the moving folk mean noone ever bothered to talk to you or to shape you with his magic? Because you would remember them specifically, wouldn't you?" She touches a natural crack on the wall's surface. "Did you acquire this before or after the last thinlings were here until us?"

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-16, 04:38 PM
@ Leila

None of the thinlings left this place. We were shaped by the thinlings with the power and that is the first we ever became aware of. At first we thought that they made us for glad things and to take in the sun. But now it appears we are meant only to stand and slowly give way to the drippings. The only time they ever spoke to us was when they asked us to rise to form this 'it'. They did not seek any other talking to us. They were thinlings like you are thinlings. The sides of their tops had points, I do remember that. *A feeling of old pain comes to you* It is from when we fell from the light. The sun closed away above us. A thinling used great amounts of power to do that...

SleepyBadger
2011-08-17, 06:03 AM
"Describe this ’it’ a bit more accurately, please", Leila asks the stone. "Are you referring to the statue (the large solid mass of stone up above which has a shape stone would naturally never take)? And when forming the statue did you have any specific instructions (like creating some caves in the inside)? Did this thinling who closed away the sun from you have points on the side of his top too?"

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-17, 04:43 PM
@Leila

It is where you stand. We are not part of sta-chu. We are just part of under sta-chu. Sta-chu placed here later by thinlings.

Yes. It had points on side of top.

@everyone else

Do me a favor and let me know what each of you want to be doing as of my post:

Leila seems intent on studying the wall outside of the tomb and Skelm, as is normal, begins to perform acrobatic wonders for all to behold, seemingly investigating the ceiling and what appears to be a hole at its center.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-17, 04:54 PM
"You say you cannot tell one thinling from another still you were able to recognize the power in these beings", Leila continues. "So tell me, did the thinling that created 'it' happen to be the same thinling that later on closed away the sun? Or was the latter one different? Was his touch any colder?"

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-17, 06:24 PM
@Leila

We know some thinlings use power. This one had power, yes, but was not of those who raised us. His power brought pain to us

SleepyBadger
2011-08-18, 11:49 AM
"That's an important piece of information", Leila tells the stone. "Do any thinlings dwell here now? Have you seen any recently? Except for us?"

stanleyindraven
2011-08-18, 12:03 PM
Luthar will lean on the carcophagus waiting on the others to finish their searches. "This is starting to bore me now, anyone find any interesting details?"

ufis
2011-08-18, 02:49 PM
I cave and search the tomb for traps.

[roll0]

noparlpf
2011-08-18, 07:58 PM
Pyren examines the bier and sarcophagus more closely, listening to Leila with half an ear because he doesn't speak stoneish and can't tell what the stones are saying back to her. He's looking to see whether he can tell if the coffin has ever been opened or disturbed, and keeping an eye out for any other noticeable details.
Perception: [roll1]
Afterwards, he goes to the tunnel and asks Leila, "Do the stones know whether the coffin has ever been opened? Do they know whether there is a corpse inside currently, and if not, do they know what happened to it?"

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-18, 10:04 PM
@ Leila

No thinlings here for long time. Since before sun went away.

(In reference to Pyren's questions:)

Thing of stone not part of us. It placed on top of us. Power thinlings do it. Do not know what is in it.

We have not seen it opened by a Thinling.

@Skelm

You are able to see that the top separates from the rest of the sarcophagus. Something seems...off though. You can't quite place your finger on it. Not a conventional or magical trap that you can tell. But you can almost smell...grease. For something that is mechanical.

@Pyren

From what you can tell, given the motions Skelm is making over it, the sarcophagus/tomb itself has been untouched. The dust is thick over it and around it denoting a long while since anything has been here.

@Luthar

As you lean against the coffin, you eventually have to make way for Skelm who seems intent on searching it, for who knows what

@Titus

(sorry for missing this post earlier)
You can get no direct feelings from this tomb. It has no markings in terms of religion, as the bier outside. It is virtually non-descript in its form and nothing lends itself to deciding the religious orientation of it, let alone the moral.

ufis
2011-08-18, 10:48 PM
"Leila, ask the rocks if the dead has walked these halls."

DrK
2011-08-19, 03:24 AM
Titus

Luthar come here. I need those muscles of yours. Shall we open the tomb and take a look who is inside?

If the group nods and Luthar agrees then titus will try and lift/push the lid off the tomb

ufis
2011-08-19, 03:30 AM
I stand back a bit, moving back out of the anti magic zone.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-19, 04:13 AM
"Have you ever seen any thinlings here whose bodies didn't radiate warmth?", Leila asks after hearing Skelm's question.

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-19, 07:17 AM
@Leila

No.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-19, 09:29 AM
"Is this a huge natural cavern complex? Do you know where the tunnels lead from the cavern above where we found the statue?"

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-19, 11:12 AM
@Leila

This place was made after we fell from the sun. We and the sta-chu above us fell to this place. We do not know of the other place.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-19, 12:39 PM
"Thank you for all this valuable information", Leila says. "And don't worry about the sun going away. It's much healthier for a rock to be underground." With that she walks inside the tomb room and steps to the others.
"Well this is what I found out", she begins. "The whole complex was originally made by the elves to be a sun temple of some sort, as we already found out from our researches. But then someone came along, apparently another elf, who had great magical powers and who managed to sink the whole temple below the ground. These skeletons here are the remainders of a large battle that happened after the tomb had been moved underground and as far as the rocks know, noone survived. They have never seen any undead here and as far as they can tell, noone opened that tomb ever since it's creation. Their knowledge is limited though as they were originally not part of this cavern system here." She takes a deep breath. "So what about the tomb? Did you open it already?"

stanleyindraven
2011-08-19, 12:59 PM
"Not yet. You all done with your searches and what not? If so I believe we will be opening this thing to see what is inside," Luthar says as he puts his hands on the top of the crypt.

noparlpf
2011-08-19, 01:23 PM
"Nobody's opened it yet. We had just reached the conclusion that it hasn't been opened in at least a very, very long time, if it ever has been opened since it was sealed. It's good to hear the stones confirm it. Though it now occurs to me, Leila, to ask about this hole in the ceiling. I don't suppose your spell is still working now that you're back in here?" Pyren asks, gesturing towards the ceiling.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-19, 03:16 PM
"It depends whether it has exceeded its duration or not", Leila grins. "The antimagic field only surpresses magic. But the rocks actually said they don't know too much about their surroundings. They couldn't tell me anything about the statue either." She then walks back to the wall. "Do you know anything about the hole above the tomb? What's beyond it? Have you seen any of the thinlings use it for some purpose?"

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-22, 02:59 PM
@Leila

The power told us to make it so there was a void there. Above it is only the thing that was added, the sta-chu.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-22, 04:16 PM
"The stones say the elven caster who created this whole thing deliberately left that hole with the statue above it. So it's probably going to fall onto your heads if you try to open the tomb. Be careful, there must be some mechanical trap in place."

stanleyindraven
2011-08-22, 05:43 PM
"That sounds great, I will be the first to run should anything move," Luthar says with a grin.

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-22, 06:59 PM
As you all stand and look at the hole, and Skelm investigates, you take note that it is about the size of two hands-breadths. There are no cracks along it and it seems to be, as Leila shared, intentional in its placement.

noparlpf
2011-08-22, 08:49 PM
"It doesn't look quite big enough for an entire statue to fall down through it, but it very well may be some kind of trap," Pyren says. "I really do wonder what it's for."

SleepyBadger
2011-08-23, 01:26 AM
"So the hole was requested by the first thinlings with power?" Leila asks the stones. "Or by the one that took away the sun from you?"

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-23, 09:37 AM
@ Leila

The first thinlings that made us into this shape.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-23, 04:04 PM
"Oh, then maybe it isn't a trap after all", Leila exclaims. "It must have some mystical significance. Maybe it channeled the sunlight through the statue before." She turns back to the rocks. "Do you all remember the exact position you were at before the other thinling came banning you into the darkness?"

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-23, 04:53 PM
@Leila

Above. We fell and arrived here. The sun was closed away from us after.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-24, 01:24 PM
Luthar will try to push the lid to one side to open the coffin.

Strength Check [roll0]

DrK
2011-08-24, 03:07 PM
Titus

The cleric smiles at the his friend. I may not be as helpful as normal my friend. He motions at the inactive magical items and then tries to help anyway. As he struggle he shouts across to Leila, What the walls say?

Strength check [roll0]

stanleyindraven
2011-08-24, 03:10 PM
"Yeah, this would be much easier with my items as well," Luther grunts out.

ufis
2011-08-24, 03:19 PM
"What the hell, lets help." I comment after trying, unsuccessfully, to follow a conversation with rocks.

STR : [roll0]

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-24, 06:24 PM
@Everyone

As Luthar, Titus and Skelm push on the lid of the tomb, everyone is able to see it slide for about 6 inches. Then it comes to a stop as it seems to slide home into a catch. The lid begins to steeple, as a roof wood and as it does a small hole, about the size of the one in the ceiling, appears in the seam of the separate sides of the lid. It reaches the full size of the hole in the ceiling when a cranking sound seems to emit from the tomb itself. From the 6 inches that have been exposed, it is just solid onyx, however from where the separate parts of the tomb have steepled, you see multiple gears, made of brass. At this point, you can safely surmise that the cranking sounds are coming from the now moving gears.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-24, 10:30 PM
Luthar runs for the nearest exit, post haste.

DrK
2011-08-25, 03:47 AM
Titus

As the weird clockwork noises sound off and things whir and buzz revealing the obsidian core beneath Titus nods at Luthar as he leaves. Good Plan! Lets get somewhere where magic can be our friend!

SleepyBadger
2011-08-25, 06:58 AM
"Come here, Fluffy!" Leila shouts, as she waits for the rest of the party to arrive at her side.

noparlpf
2011-08-25, 07:01 AM
Pyren retreats to the tunnel with the rest of the party.

ufis
2011-08-25, 08:31 AM
I stay and try to figure out what the gears are doing and to what it is connected, trying to predict the next mechanical event.

Disable device check? [roll0] to try and figure it out

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-25, 09:21 AM
@Skelm

It appears that the cranks are moving something within the tomb itself. With the little light you have, you can just start to see a cylinder start to rise from the center of the cavity, apparently rising to go through the hole in the middle of the tomb and then, more than likely, the hole above you.

@Everyone else

By the time you all reach the outside corridor, you are aware enough of the gear noise to realize that it is repetitive, signifying the fact that it is doing one action over and over again. Skelm seems quite intent on investigating the mechanical contraption.

ufis
2011-08-25, 02:13 PM
With the little light you have
I have darkvision

Is there any way to stop the contraption, without breaking it? Maybe a way to restart it again later if I want.

disable device [roll0]

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-25, 08:24 PM
@ Skelm

Sorry, forgot about your darkvision. :smalltongue:

At this point you don't think you can stop it. If you had more time to see which gears were primary and which were secondary or tertiary, you could potentially attempt something, but it appears as though that would take quite a bit more time than what you have.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-25, 10:27 PM
Leila watches the gears move from the outside of the chamber. "At least something is happening", she remarks. "Can you see something interesting, Skelm?"

ufis
2011-08-28, 02:25 AM
"Nothing. Whatever is happening will happen." I say as I join the others in the magic able zone.

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-28, 10:43 AM
@ Everyone

You see the tomb lid come to a rest and what appears to be a brass cylinder rise from inside the hole the tomb lid made. From within the brass cylinder a gem the size of a man's fist emerges. The gem glints in the light of the torches and pebbles and appears to be clear in color. It continues to rise, as it seems to rest on a smaller cylinder which is telescoping out of the previous. The cylinders rise until the gem extends to the hole in the ceiling. The rising cylinders seem to slow, and as the gem begins to disappear, you notice a light shining from the hole. Obviously the source is the gem. The cranking of the gears stop and the cylinders shudder for a moment. The light from the hole seems to intensify for a brief second, then again. Finally it seems as though the sun itself is pouring directly from the hole for a long moment then, bright enough to make you avert your eyes. The moment is suddenly gone, and when you can make out the cylinder again, you see the gem lowering ever so slowly back to the lid of the tomb. You all start to lean in to see it disappear back to its origins, and that's when it seems as though the world jumps. A loud 'THOOM!' rattles the air around you and you almost lose your footing. Another follows soon after and then quiet. You hear nothing but the rattle of scree and dust settling in the passageway behind you.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-28, 05:08 PM
"This must have been a hell of a show as long as that gem could collect the sunlight", Leila remarks. "I can teleport us out here if the cavern walls threaten to crumble away. Can anybody make a rhyme out of this?"

noparlpf
2011-08-28, 09:55 PM
"I can't imagine what that was for," Pyren says. "Maybe it did something different when the tomb was aboveground. Maybe it just did something with no immediately visible effect. Let's look it over one more time, and then go outside to see if it did something to the outside of the tomb."
He walks towards the coffin to examine it again.
Also, has anything changed in the room itself? I assume the antimagic field is still up?

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-29, 06:35 AM
@Pyren

You do notice the fact that your pebble goes out as soon as you step into the room, yes. Upon reaching the tomb, it appears as it did previously. You can see no other changes within the room.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-29, 06:19 PM
"I am going to check if the passageway is still open," Luthar says before he heads up the hall.

noparlpf
2011-08-29, 07:57 PM
"I don't see anything different in here after that show," Pyren says. "This also doesn't tell us anything about whether Sindrallin is actually dead. Skelm, I didn't find anything, but if you'd like to double-check, go ahead. I think next we should look outside."
He goes to follow Luthar back out the passageway.
If the tunnel is unblocked and he can get through:
In case the part where he slid before requires these:
Climb: [roll1], Balance: [roll2]

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-29, 09:18 PM
Pyren and Luthar start up the hall away from the tomb. After a moment of silence you all feel another vibration shudder through the passage, less powerful than previously, but still enough to rattle teeth.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-30, 07:17 AM
Leila rushes forward in wraithform to check out the upper chamber with the statue.

DrK
2011-08-30, 07:59 AM
Titus

Hmm... Strange stuff muses Titus as he stares at the unchanged scene. Maybe we have gone the wrong way and there is another way through the caves? If not there must be something that we are missing here.

He'll try and find some sort of non-magical light source and then head back into the tomb and wander around trying to work out what's going on.

Sorry for the colour confusion. Too many PCs in different games all with different colours...

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-30, 03:39 PM
@ Leila

You arc around a corner, then another and come upon the entrance to the passageway. Just outside the entrance you are able to spy a very large, obsidian colored foot about 15 feet beyond.

@Titus

(go back to your old color. You are stealing Luthar's speech color. Had me confused! :smalltongue: )
You are able to acquire a brand from Pyren and make your way back into the tomb-room in order to perform your search.

ufis
2011-08-31, 08:10 AM
"Lets all follow our companions outside."

I take the tunnel back out.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-31, 10:44 AM
Leila moves nearer to examine the creature whatever it may be, ready to take another form should it attack.

ReluctantDragon
2011-08-31, 11:26 AM
@Leila

It does indeed appear to be the statue of Sindrallin, only moving now. As you exit the passageway a gravel-like sound brings your eyes up to its face and it seems to be staring at you. A very large fist raises up and seems intent on coming back down at you.

(roll initiative)

@ everyone else:

I need current, as in right now in the game, where you are, and what your next action taken is, please.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-31, 12:24 PM
Luthar should have walked back out of the stone by now.

ufis
2011-08-31, 12:44 PM
I take the tunnel back out.

Depends on how far I have walked before the fight started.

noparlpf
2011-08-31, 01:26 PM
Pyren should probably be at the exit from the bier. He started heading out a little before Leila started flying through things. Luthar should be nearby and Skelm probably isn't far behind at this point.

DrK
2011-08-31, 02:36 PM
Titus

Hearing the violence erupting from upstairs Titus curses once before starting to run towards the violence. Hold on... We're coming!.

Initiative [roll0]
He was in the tomb so will start running back to the bier.

SleepyBadger
2011-08-31, 06:57 PM
Leila
[roll0]

ReluctantDragon
2011-09-01, 03:54 PM
For me:

[roll0]

@Luthar, Pyren, Skelm

Assume you are now in the passageway.
Give me initiative rolls and the the next action assuming you heard Titus shout.

@Titus

You make it to the entrance of the passageway. You are able to look out the entrance. You see the bearest definition of a stone foot in the darkness. It is quite large. Declare your next action. (You go after Leila as of right now)

@Leila

You feel emboldened and the adrenaline rushes through you as you get to decide what to do. (you win initiative!)

@Everyone

IF you have specific spell affects, abilities from gear, etc. active RIGHT NOW, please list them in your next post.

noparlpf
2011-09-01, 04:59 PM
Initiative: [roll0]
And I guess there's nothing to do but move out and see what's up. If Pyren isn't holding his axe now he draws it during his next move action.

stanleyindraven
2011-09-01, 07:00 PM
Initiative [roll0]

Only Effect is flaming bastard sword

SleepyBadger
2011-09-01, 08:04 PM
Leila will turn into a marilith as a free action and cast Stoneskin on herself. This will not have any defensive effect if the statue is a golem but it should make her unarmed attacks hit through adamantine as well (as they would hit through good and cold iron). She will then wait on the defensive and prepare for her next attack.
OoC: Her current initiative changes to 15. Stats see in the other notes section on my sheet as always, worn items are listed there as well, plus stoneskin now, which gives her DR 10 / good and cold iron and adamantine.

ufis
2011-09-02, 12:32 AM
I will look outside and assess the situation.

Initiative [roll0]

ReluctantDragon
2011-09-02, 03:06 PM
@Titus

You see Leila change from a wraith to a demonic figure, apparently very similar to a marilith.
You feel the rush of adrenaline that allows you to take action!

@Luthar, Skelm, Pyren

You all arrive at the entrance just in time to see Titus jump into action!
(you will have your first action next round)
A huge stone statue(unsurprisingly, the one you viewed on top of the bier) seems intent on slamming a very large fist into what you can only assume to be Leila, in the shape of a demoness.

DrK
2011-09-03, 02:19 PM
Titus

By Pelor's blessed radiance what is that!. With that he'll glow with hallowed yellow radiance and move towards the beast drawing his adamantine mace. Liela, I'm here to back you up"

I'll cast shield of faith (AC 32 --> 36) and then move towards the thing drawing my Mace.

ufis
2011-09-03, 04:17 PM
"Anyone tried talking to that thing yet?"

SleepyBadger
2011-09-04, 07:03 AM
"Just go ahead and try, Skelm", Leila exclaims while still waiting for the statue to make its move.

ufis
2011-09-05, 08:14 AM
I first try in Draconic. If there is no reaction, I will try common too.

"Hi, erm, statue guy." I smile at my own rhyming. "I think there may have been some misunderstanding here. We are merely looking for the source of great evil that has crossed our path. If you continue in your endeavour to assault us, we may mistake you for that evil. Anyway, do you know where we can find a guy named Sindrallin. He may be able to clear up a few questions we may have."

If there is still no reaction, I guess we have to break it down to pebbles.

ReluctantDragon
2011-09-05, 12:54 PM
The stone fist suddenly slams down at Leila making two devastating strikes!

[roll0]
[roll1]

Damage for each possible hit:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Leila nimbly dodges out of the way of each strike, seeing as how the creature seems a bit ponderous in its movements.

Skelm's attempt to speak appears to fall on deaf ears. No attention is paid to his words, and each gigantic fist appears to raise to strike at Leila again.

Initiative order:
Skelm
Titus
Leila
Pyren
Luthar

SleepyBadger
2011-09-05, 06:01 PM
Leila will strike back:

Full attack: 6 slams and a tail slap
Slams:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
Tail slap:
[roll12]
[roll13]
What size is the statue? L, H, G or C?

ufis
2011-09-06, 12:52 AM
Looking at my daggers and then at the statue ...
"Drat, I would be of no use here. But it looks like the demon woman has got everything under control."

I will move in circles around the battle scouting for any other signs of life (or unlife or constructs or anything reaaly)

DrK
2011-09-06, 01:43 AM
Titus

The cleric looks at the 6-armed monstrous Marrilith demon and then at his own rather weak looking mace. Never the less he strides forward into the fray regardless, the light of Pelor illuminating around him.

Cast quickened divine favour +5 luck hit/damage
Move and Attack [roll0] damage [roll1] (admantine and magic)

stanleyindraven
2011-09-06, 07:56 AM
If the statue is still standing on Luthar's go, he will strike out at the stoney assailant with his sword.

Slashing Fury Attack w/ Adamantine Flaming Sword
Attack 1:
Damage 1: [roll]1d10+22+1d6
Attack 2:
Damage 2: [roll]1d10+22+1d6
Attack 3:
Damage 3: [roll]1d10+22+1d6
Attack 4:
Damage 4: [roll]1d10+22+1d6
Attack 5:
Damage 5: [roll]1d10+22+1d6
(will roll crit in second post if needed)

stanleyindraven
2011-09-06, 07:59 AM
Damage wasnt put in right

Damage 1: [roll0] fire [roll1]
Damage 2: [roll2] fire [roll3]
Damage 3: [roll4] fire [roll5]
Damage 4: [roll6] fire [roll7]
Damage 5: [roll8] fire [roll9]

noparlpf
2011-09-06, 10:00 AM
On his initiative, Pyren moves out to attack the statue, dropping his burning torch near the exit of the passageway and hefting his axe in both hands.
(Wielding a +5 Vicious adamantine greataxe.)
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + Vicious: [roll2]
Damage to Pyren: Vicious: [roll3]

ReluctantDragon
2011-09-07, 05:02 PM
@ Leila He is huge

The Stone construct reels backwards from the onslaught of attacks. Cracks and chips appear in the legs and arms of the monstrous creature. It seems to move with shudders now as it tries to regain its balance. Again it takes two swings at Leila

Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]
Attack[roll2]
Damage[roll3]

The two cumbersome and cracked looking fists slam into Leila and you see her Marilith form shudder with each blow.

@Skelm

You can detect no other sentient presence at this point. Neither living or unliving.

SleepyBadger
2011-09-08, 05:58 AM
Leila continues with her attacks:
OoC: I assume the statue does not beat my DR so I subtracted that from the damage.
Slams:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]
[roll11]
Tail:
[roll12]
[roll13]

DrK
2011-09-08, 07:16 AM
Titus

Watching the massive serpentine Marrilith pound the creature Titus felt small and and near impotent. Particularly as he viewed the power behind each of the massive fist strikes. Nonetheless he continued pressing home his attack...

attack [roll0] damage [roll1]
A 2 and a 1, some quality rolling there.

ReluctantDragon
2011-09-08, 05:45 PM
As Titus brings up his weapon for a devastating blow, the huge stone construct shudders a moment and cracks appear over the surface of the stone that makes up its body. First a pebble, then a rock, then huge chunks of the stone begin to cascade from its body as it falls backwards lands with a resounding crunch of stone upon stone.

A large amount of dust is in the air, but otherwise you all hear nothing but each others' breathing and movement.

stanleyindraven
2011-09-08, 07:17 PM
"Okay, what was that? A guardian," Luthar exclaims.

ufis
2011-09-09, 01:37 AM
I will continue to move around looking and listening for anything else that may move.

DrK
2011-09-09, 05:50 AM
Titus

A disturbing form Leila, though effective!. He'll then keep the mace held high, Is there anything else nearby?

SleepyBadger
2011-09-09, 05:54 AM
"Yes, definitely a guardian", Leila remarks as she changes into an assimar for the party's sake. "Wonder why the mechanism worked that way. If there is something interesting in the tomb why animate the statue up here? Why not put a guardian near the tomb itself? There must be something here we are yet to notice." She starts examining the stones near the statue.
OoC: [roll0]; [roll1].

noparlpf
2011-09-09, 07:34 AM
"Can anybody attempt to discover the statue's purpose and instructions?" Pyren asks, returning to his fallen torch. "I'd also like to examine the top of this structure."
He then examines the outside walls of the tomb.
Does it look like it can be climbed? He's going to try.
Climb: [roll0]

stanleyindraven
2011-09-09, 08:18 AM
"My guess is to protect those inside the tomb from intruders. Like the ones we passed on the way in," Luthar says as he motions to the darkness of the cavern.

ufis
2011-09-09, 08:21 AM
"Or like us you mean."
I rejoin the group having found nothing of interest.

stanleyindraven
2011-09-09, 08:52 AM
"Well, looks like it is laying down on its job then," Luthar laughs as he kicks a few stones.