PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Magus/Cleric and PRC

Sarone
2011-08-03, 04:29 PM
Hey all.

I'm thinking about building a Magus/Cleric character, with an eye on going mystic theurge. How should I go about this?

I'm using the 15 pb for the class, and I'm thinking about going either half elf or elf (both have their uses).

Has any one tried this before?

Retech
2011-08-03, 04:37 PM
Errr, the bad thing is that Mystic Theruge is already underpowered, and with it only advancing the magus' limited spell list and the clerics, it would be extremely difficult.

Unless your DM is okay with some early entry shenanigans which may or may not be 100% RAW legal? If that's the case, then it might work.

FMArthur
2011-08-03, 04:53 PM
Both classes are melee/caster hybrids, and the Magus is one at the cost of having poorer casting. You lose a large amount of your melee power the longer you stay in Mystic Theurge, and don't gain any relevant class features (class features are what separates Magus from a Wizard/NPC Warrior Class to begin with).

Basically, it just doesn't work. You'd be casting baby spells for your character level and would fall flat trying to melee. Are you certain you wouldn't be better served by just being a straight Cleric or Magus? Or a Magus 6 for the Broad Study arcana and then Cleric from there? What about a Wizard/Eldritch Knight, or a Bard or a Druid?

magusoftheCore
2011-08-03, 04:59 PM
Magus5/Cleric1/Magus+1/Cleric+3/Mystic Theurge10.

Elf is an all over great race for Magi in general, but for a cleric build I'd go for a race that bumps strength. As a magi, the optimal amount of Int is enough to be able to cast your spells and then some, I try to go for 16 at 1. Any additions beyond that are gravy.

Traits: take magical lineage and assign it to Shocking Grasp. This spell is raw damage with no save. with magical lineage, you can apply the Intensify Spell metamagic and keep the spell as first level.
Use a scimitar and keen it, since with spell strike any touch spells gain the crit range of the weapon. Imagine an Intensified Shocking Grasp- 10d6 damage- criting on a 15-20.
Cleric spells used to buff your size, strength, overall damage output from your weapon, and you will do well.

My 2cp
Edit: My suggestions are typical for any magus but I gave an idea as to how it could work.

Curious
2011-08-03, 05:09 PM

Elf is an all over great race for Magi in general, but for a cleric build I'd go for a race that bumps strength. As a magi, the optimal amount of Int is enough to be able to cast your spells and then some, I try to go for 16 at 1. Any additions beyond that are gravy.

Traits: take magical lineage and assign it to Shocking Grasp. This spell is raw damage with no save. with magical lineage, you can apply the Intensify Spell metamagic and keep the spell as first level.
Use a scimitar and keen it, since with spell strike any touch spells gain the crit range of the weapon. Imagine an Intensified Shocking Grasp- 10d6 damage- criting on a 15-20.
Cleric spells used to buff your size, strength, overall damage output from your weapon, and you will do well.

My 2cp
Edit: My suggestions are typical for any magus but I gave an idea as to how it could work.

Actually, a nice little piece of cheese is this: take Magical Lineage for Shocking Grasp. Get Intensify metamagic as well. Then, at fifteenth level, get Spell Perfection (Shocking Grasp). Spell Perfection allows you to apply one metamagic feat to a spell for no level increase. Magical Lineage decreases spell level when metamagic is applied. You now have a 0-level Intensified Shocking Grasp, which by Pathfinder rules you can use forever, since cantrips aren't expended when cast.

Sarone
2011-08-03, 05:24 PM

My 2cp

Thanks for the advice.

From the prereqs alone, I will need Magus 4/Cleric 3 at a minimum.

Depending on what the campaign is and the other players, I'm trying to go for a melee support role, with the emphasis changing dependent on how the campaign goes and what the other players are doing.

I admit I'm tempted to go Cleric 4/Magus 4, since that will give a +6 BAB, +8 Fort & Will Save, +2 Reflexs, and a boost in the number of spells I already cast.

However, going Magus 7/Cleric 3 (maybe 4) will make it more survivable in combat, and I won't have to worry about ASF checks since I can where Medium Armor.

Hmm. Let's see what other people say.

Paul H
2011-08-03, 08:10 PM
Hi

With the 15pt buy you're going to suffer over the stat allocation. Better to go with one prime stat.

Another problem is that unlike D&D 3.5, PF grants many good abilities throughout classes, which you'll sacrifice just for spellcasting.

Cha based classes are the easiest builds here.

For Arcane you've got Bard, Sorceror & Summoner. For Divine you've got Oracle & Paladin. (Sacred Servant Paladin Archetype [APG pg 117] adds domain spells/power to Paladin).

With Half-Elves you can specify 2 Favoured Classes, so Bard 4/Oracle 4/ MT xxx grants some martial capability, but Bards only go to 6th lvl spells. Sorceror 4/Oracle 4 etc might be best for high level stuff. Eclectic feat (APG) allows Humans to have 2 favoured classes too.

The APG also allows alternate Favoured Class options.

So, Human with Eclectic feat could choose both Sorceror and Oracle as favoured classes, so bonuses every time you level. With Human variants with Oracle & Sorceror favoured class bonuses, you gain extra spells known each level per class.

You could even go Synthesist (Summoner archetype)/Oracle for more wierdness, and it would increase your stats.

Thanks
Paul H
PS Just wondering what concept you're trying here. Is Magus critical, or would you use something else?

Just a suggestion.........

Example: Human Synthesist 4/Oracle 4 (Haunted Curse, Battle Mystery)

Str 12 Dex 13 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 16*
(Starting stats, modified by Synthesist's Eidolon. *+2 Cha for Human)

1) Synthesist (Summoner Archetype), [Darkvision] Dodge, Toughness
2) Synthesist [Evasion]
3) Synthesist, Arcane Strike
4) Synthesist, (+1 Str)
5) Oracle, [Skill at Arms Mystery], Pwr Attack
6) Oracle, [Enlarge Person bonus spell]
7) Oracle, [Wpn Mastery Mystery]
8) Oracle, [Fog Cloud bonus spell] (+1 Dex)

Then take 10 levels Mystic Theurge.

Your Eidolon will have 7 Evolution points, (2 points each increase Dex, Con, Cha, 1 point incerase Nat Armour).

Effective stats lvl 8:

Base: Str 13 Dex 14 Con 14 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 16
Synthesist: Str 17 Dex 15 Con 15 Int 10 Wis 10 Cha 18

BAB +6
Attack Gt Sword+1: +11/6
Dam Gt Sword+1: 2d6 +5 (Add Pwr attack +6, Arcane Strike +1)

AC 19 (6 Nat, 2 Dex, Dodge). [Add +4 Mage Armour, +4 Shield spell, plus Divine buffs)
HP 89 (Inc 22 from Eidolon)

Saves F 4 R 4 W 8

Please note:
1) Synthesist's Eidolon doesn't add properties of physical armour. (Just spells, items, etc).
2) You also have a free Feat slot at lvl 7
3) You need to have an Heirloom Wpn Trait to use the Gt Sword at lvl 1, but gain all Martial Wpn Profs at lvl 5 (Skill at Arms)
4) You can augment spells known by using alternate favoured class features every level.