PDA

View Full Version : Help with a couple of characters

TheFallenSon
2011-08-03, 10:19 PM
What would you all suggest for these two concepts:

1. A barbarian/cleric at 7th level stats: 18, 17, 16, 15, 14, 14

2. A barbarian/warlock at 7th level: 17, 17, 16, 16, 14, 13

We have access to all the completes, the phb2 and the core set. Other material can be utilized if we can find it in print. All that I know as blanket unalloyed is ToB.

The guy with cleric levels is interested in utilizing reserve feats to cast in a rage

The warlock just wants a bestial raging blaster type of thing.

Thanks for any help.

holywhippet
2011-08-03, 10:43 PM
I don't think reserve feats let you cast while raging. You can pull off certain special tricks if you have a feat and a suitable spell but you can't actually cast per se.

Barbarian/Cleric isn't a bad choice if you are primarily a barbarian with some clerical spells in reserve. If you are primarily a cleric then all you are really gaining is some bonus HP and BAB. Reserve feats would be kind of a waste for the former since you aren't really going to have a huge number of spells.

Barbarian/Warlock is not a path I'd recommend. There is no real synergy between the two. Barbarians use their strength to deal physical damage. Warlocks use their charisma to help make their magic work - they also get spell failure chances when wearing anything heavier than light armour. If your player really wants a magic wielding beserker they might be better with barbarian/sorcerer then going for the rage mage prestige class. Alternately, just have them make up a druid - between the shapeshifting and the spellcasting they can be a grade A bestial spellcaster.

TheFallenSon
2011-08-04, 04:06 PM
Thank you I hadn't even thought about the rage Mage class, looking at it's abilities I believe the player will be ecstatic. How would you go about maximizing it's potential? Extend a d extra rage are slap in the face obvious choices, is there anything else? What about different class features?

I've glanced at the Barbarian cleric concept, is there a prestige class for that setup....I'm tempted to tell him make a wild priest...just a tribal shaman type of flavor.

holywhippet
2011-08-04, 07:48 PM
Barbarian/cleric PrC? Warpriest, Stormlord or Fist of Raziel (requires alignment change) maybe. Champion of Gynharwyf sort of fits but it has it's own spell progression rather than continuing the cleric casting.

For rage mage, I think there's a feat which lets you cast while holding a sword. After that, focus on quicken spells and reducing the metamagic cost of quicken spells. That way you can blast and attack in the same round.

begooler
2011-08-04, 08:05 PM
Well, you'd have to hunt down the book, as its not already on your list, but the warlock invocation Eldritch Glaive in Dragon Magic would be worth taking a look at. You wield your eldritch blast like a weapon, and get to make as many attacks as your BAB allows.