PDA

View Full Version : Character Optimization: Artificer/Exemplar/Chameleon

patha787
2011-08-04, 01:44 AM
I've decided on a human Artificer for my latest build. My planned ideal level 20 character will end up being Artificer 9/Exemplar 1/Chameleon 10. The idea is to be a Blastificer for dealing good damage at range, while the dual focus of Chameleon grants me 6th level Arcane and Divine spells, making me extremely versatile. There's also a host of other neat goodies, including a good range of skills and item crafting (including wands) etc.

My question is, is Artificer 9/Exemplar 1/Chameleon 10 possible? I'm not very good at the number crunching side of things but from my calculations I won't be able to have the requisite skill ranks to get into the prestige classes.

Thanks in advance to any who respond, your help is greatly appreciated.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-04, 01:48 AM
you need 13 ranks in a skill to get into Exemplar. That means you need 10 levels in something before you can take it.

Why chameleon when you can UMD up to 9th level spells on an unlimited list of 'everything ever published'?

patha787
2011-08-04, 04:04 AM
Thanks, that's what I figured (with regard to the skill ranks).

The character concept I have in mind is inspired by Science/Pulp Heroes like Doc Savage - someone who is good at everything and can solve nearly any situation, based around Intelligence as a key stat. I like the Artificer class and would like to keep it as a base.

What would you recommend as an alternative to the Exemplar/Chameleon route?

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-04, 06:46 AM
Thanks, that's what I figured (with regard to the skill ranks).

The character concept I have in mind is inspired by Science/Pulp Heroes like Doc Savage - someone who is good at everything and can solve nearly any situation, based around Intelligence as a key stat. I like the Artificer class and would like to keep it as a base.

What would you recommend as an alternative to the Exemplar/Chameleon route?

One-level dip in Exemplar, if you want to Take 10 on a number of skills... so probably Artificer19/Exemplar1.

Artificer is a Tier 1 class for a reason. It can win, in multiple different ways, simultaneously.