PDA

View Full Version : Yog-Sothoth, I Choose You! [Harrowed PrC, PEACH]

Kellus
2011-08-04, 02:33 AM
The Monster Complex
"Gotta catch 'em all!"

http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2010/261/c/4/shadow_possessed_wataru_by_shinjyu-d2z0ox6.jpg
Image credit shinjyu (http://shinjyu.deviantart.com/) of Deviantart.com

Every harrowed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188148) is unique, and most of them live isolated lives which are wracked by terror and nightmare. They fight a constant battle for their sanity, desperately trying to survive with an abomination living inside of them clawing its way out. To master the beast is impossible, but to manage it is certainly doable. With the proper training a harrowed can learn to turn its inner monster's chaotic nature to their advantage, controlling the way it manifests itself. A normal harrowed (if there even is such a thing) is bad enough, but one who has learned these secret arts is nigh-invincible. For his ally is the bane of all creation, and a mighty ally it is.

Requirements: To become a monster complex, a character must meet all of the following requirements.
Alignment: Any chaotic
Harrowings: Any three
Skills: Knowledge (the Planes) 8 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks
Special: Tenebrous touch class feature

Hit Die: d8
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Class Skills: The monster complex's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are as follows: Conentration (Con), Craft (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, chosen individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (N/A), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha)

The Monster Complex
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Inner flux, many monsters (2)

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Tenebrous touch +1d6, wild harrowing

3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|It's super effective!, many monsters (3)

4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Tenebrous touch +2d6, wild harrowing

5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Many monsters (4), u-turn

6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|Tenebrous touch +3d6, wild harrowing

7th|+5|+2|+2|+5|Fused manifestations, many monsters (5)

8th|+6|+2|+2|+6|Tenebrous touch +4d6, wild harrowing

9th|+6|+3|+3|+6|Flux touch, many monsters (6)

10th|+7|+3|+3|+7|Inner maelstrom, tenebrous touch +5d6, wild harrowing

[/table]

All of the following are class features of the monster complex.

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: A monster complex gains no additional proficiencies.

Inner Flux (Su): A monster complex finds the center of tranquility at the heart of his soul. You can bend the chaotic and everchanging nature of your inner monster to your advantage, and force it to take a more useful form. You'll never be free of this curse, but at least it will be useful. As a move (manipulation) action you can change your manifested monster into a new form you know. This requires a Will save of 15. A beast which has unleashed itself cannot change forms but is instead locked in the form which it broke free in. If it breaks free while changing forms, it is locked in the new form, since the ability works regardless of the result of the save (as normal).

Many Monsters (Su): By harnessing the chaotic energies of your beast, you can change its manifestation to your advantage. Your beast has a second form that you can change it into, which effectively means that you can pick a second element from the base harrowed tenebrous touch list of elements. You cannot change this choice later on. When you change into this second form you lose access to the original tenebrous touch and gain access to this new one. You can choose a tenebrous touch you already know in one form when selecting an element for a new form.

At 3rd level and every two levels thereafter you learn a new form, which allows you to create a separate beast manifestation with a new kind of tenebrous touch.

Tenebrous Touch (Su): Levels in monster complex stack with harrowed levels to determine the forms your tenebrous touch can take. You also continue to advance the damage it deals by the amount indicated on the table. Note that if your tenebrous touch deals different damage than a normal variation (d4 or d8 damage instead of d6) they increase by the normal amount for that form of the ability instead. All of your tenebrous touches (for all of your monster forms) advance at the same rate and deal the same number of damage dice.

Wild Harrowing: At 2nd level you can develop a special external manifestation of your beast. This works much like a normal harrowing which you can pick, except that you can choose a different harrowing for each monster form you have. You must qualify for any harrowing you select as normal, although you can select harrowings for separate monster forms which other monster forms might not qualify for. Whenever you change monster form, the wild harrowing you have developed changes to the one you selected for that form, and you lose all previous benefits of it.

You cannot change a wild harrowing for any given form after learning it, but when you learn a new monster form you can pick a wild harrowing variation for it for each wild harrowing you've attained (essentially, you're never cheated out of a wild harrowing just for picking a form later).

At 4th level and every two levels thereafter you develop a new wild harrowing. It's strongly advised that you write up a separate stat block or even character sheet for each of your monster forms at this point, since harrowings can change fundamental parts of your character. If you cannot produce the complete stats for your new monster form within 30 seconds of declaring that you are changing form, this ability fails and your turn ends.

If you later choose a new normal harrowing, you must qualify for it in all forms in order to pick it. On the other hand, if you have attained 10 levels in this class then whenever you would pick a new normal harrowing you can instead choose a new wild harrowing. You can use wild harrowings to qualify for feats or prestige classes, but you only have access to those features while manifesting the requisite wild harrowing.

It's Super Effective! (Su): Your powers are fueled by dimensional energy which rips through flesh much like a hot broadsword through a butter golem. Your tenebrous touch deals extra damage whenever it strikes a creature vulnerable to it. Beginning at 3rd level, whenever your tenebrous touch would deal 1.5x damage against a monster (due to a weakness or vulnerability) it instead deals double damage. You can also double the damage from the unholy portion of your tenebrous touch if the regular energy portion of it deals extra damage due to vulnerability.

U-Turn (Su): Starting at 5th level, your forms change as quickly as the unholy energies leave your fingertips. Whenever you succeed at striking someone with the tenebrous touch ability, you can use a swift action to change monster forms. This requires a Will save with a DC of 20.

Fused Manifestations (Su): Starting at 7th level, you can combine two manifestations of your inner monster into one in order to leverage unholy synergy between them. This is a permanent choice that you can make when gaining a new monster form. Instead of picking an entirely new form, you can choose to add an extra tenebrous touch type to an existing form. Your tenebrous touch while in that form can now take the form of either of the types chosen, or a special form which is composed of half energy damage from the first form and half energy damage from the second.

For example, a monster complex who selects hellfire and frigid hate to create his fused manifestation can choose to either use the tenebrous touch as normal for those abilities, or he can choose to deal half fire damage and half cold damage with it (with no unholy damage). A fused manifestation keeps all of the old wild harrowings the original form had, and gains one bonus wild harrowing to represent the infusion of the new form. You can only fuse two forms together (you cannot add a third, for example).

Flux Touch (Su): Starting at 9th level, you can make a special touch attack which warps and distorts a creature's fundamental nature. By channeling the power of the beast within, you can instill a vulnerability in an enemy. This is a melee touch attack which deals no damage, but forces the target to make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your HD + your Cha modifier) or gain vulnerability to a single energy type chosen randomly from the following table:

{table=head]Roll|Vulnerability
1|Acid
2|Cold
3|Electricity
4|Fire
5|Force
6|Negative Energy
7|Positive Energy
8|Sonic[/table]

The vulnerability causes the target to receive half again as much (1.5x) damage from the energy type as they normally would. If they were already vulnerable to it, they instead must make a similar Fortitude save every time they receive that kind of damage or die instantly (this is a Death effect). The vulnerability lasts for 1 round per class level, at which point their body reverts to normal. If you use this ability a second time on the same target, the new vulnerability replaces the old one and the duration resets. This ability requires a Will save with a DC of 25.

Inner Maelstrom (Su): At 10th level, you have fully realized the unholy power you could potentially wield. As a free action once per round you can change monster forms without making a Will save. In addition, whenever you use the tenebrous touch or flux touch ability you can make a second tenebrous touch attack at a -5 attack penalty as part of the same action.

Morph Bark
2011-08-04, 05:32 AM
In a way I'm actually kind of disappointed at this class, because it does not actually bring out the monster as manifesting outside of the Harrowed as a seperate entity (but still bound to the Harrowed of course). =(

Owrtho
2011-08-04, 05:43 AM
In a way I'm actually kind of disappointed at this class, because it does not actually bring out the monster as manifesting outside of the Harrowed as a seperate entity (but still bound to the Harrowed of course). =(

Well, If Lord Gareth has anything to say about that, such a task is impossible (though somewhat workaround things may be achieved as with the beast sculpted PRC I made). Still I had the same thought of what it would do given the opening, and title. Also I'd suggest swapping the order of Inner Flux and many monsters, as without knowing what many monsters does, Inner flux is rather confusing and sounds like it might actually involve manifesting the beast in some way. Still, it does accomplish the task of letting you 'get them all' or at least some of them for different energy types. I'd also suggest clarifying how wild harrowing works if you get a normal harrowing after it (does it not count at all for prereqs of normal harrowings, does it only count if all your forms qualify, does it always count, but then the harrowing only functions with forms that qualify, or does it always count without conditions).

Owrtho

Kellus
2011-08-04, 08:54 PM
Well, If Lord Gareth has anything to say about that, such a task is impossible (though somewhat workaround things may be achieved as with the beast sculpted PRC I made). Still I had the same thought of what it would do given the opening, and title. Also I'd suggest swapping the order of Inner Flux and many monsters, as without knowing what many monsters does, Inner flux is rather confusing and sounds like it might actually involve manifesting the beast in some way. Still, it does accomplish the task of letting you 'get them all' or at least some of them for different energy types. I'd also suggest clarifying how wild harrowing works if you get a normal harrowing after it (does it not count at all for prereqs of normal harrowings, does it only count if all your forms qualify, does it always count, but then the harrowing only functions with forms that qualify, or does it always count without conditions).

Owrtho

I kind of like inner flux where it is, since that makes it and inner maelstrom the last features of the class. I like that sort of symmetry, and it's only a paragraph that you have read before you figure out how it all works.

The other suggestion on the other hand is excellent. I'll put in a clause about qualifying for normal harrowings later on in the progression.

Gideon Falcon
2011-08-04, 11:50 PM
This is awesome. I will need to use this in a game. In fact, my current character in a 30th level Gestalt will probably take this next level. She has 10 levels in Beast Sculpted, as well as 9 in Cosmic Horror, so this fits with her abilities and feel perfectly. She will be as much in flux inside as outside.

SamBurke
2011-08-05, 12:07 AM
I think this is great, and pretty useable for anyone doing Harrowed.