PDA

View Full Version : Dice Roller

Seatbelt
2011-08-04, 05:36 AM
I'm going to be running a starship scale saga game with star destroyers and stuff. Does anyone know of a dice roller that makes it easy to roll a bunch of attacks with multiple dice? An ISD has 14 attacks and they range from 4 attacks at 4D10 to 5 attacks at 11D10. Thats not counting ties and other stuff. I don't want to bog down combat making hundreds of dice rolls a round.

Amnestic
2011-08-04, 05:44 AM
I'm going to be running a starship scale saga game with star destroyers and stuff. Does anyone know of a dice roller that makes it easy to roll a bunch of attacks with multiple dice? An ISD has 14 attacks and they range from 4 attacks at 4D10 to 5 attacks at 11D10. Thats not counting ties and other stuff. I don't want to bog down combat making hundreds of dice rolls a round.

There's this one from WotC (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm) which I use a fair bit. I'm sure there are plenty others out there.

M0rdain
2011-08-04, 07:39 AM
There are some good ones on Smart Phones. I use Dicenomicon on my iPhone, very customisable. it would slow down our games so much with out it.

Seatbelt
2011-08-04, 12:49 PM
Anything else I can use on my laptop?

The Random NPC
2011-08-04, 02:42 PM
I like using Invisible Castle's (invisiblecastle.com/roller/) dice roller, but unless you have internet access you're probably better off using Excel or something.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-08-04, 03:13 PM
If you will have internet access and don't mind having a webbrowser running I'm in love with Pen,Paper and Pixel (http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tools/d20dicebag.htm) myself. (Heck just put up a few tabs with the rolls/modifiers you'll be using the most and it's very, very fast.)

randomhero00
2011-08-04, 04:02 PM
Assuming I haven't been ninja'd; you can use your iphone (there's an app) or your graphing calculator if you have one.

Typewriter
2011-08-04, 04:05 PM
If you tell me what you specifically need in a die roller I can make you a .exe for your desktop :P

EDIT:
More specifically I'm not familiar with the system you mentioned so I'd need to know whether things like AC, to-hit, damage dice, damage bonus, damage resistance, elemental resistances, ties, criticals, fortification, miss percentage, mirror images, etc. all need to be accounted for.

Seatbelt
2011-08-05, 08:43 AM
I just need to be able to roll xD10*y. It would be nifty if I could do (xD10+z)*y but its no big deal otherwise.

Typewriter
2011-08-05, 03:23 PM
I just need to be able to roll xD10*y. It would be nifty if I could do (xD10+z)*y but its no big deal otherwise.

Got it right here. (https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B64n2Zv8vmuyN2ZlYjA2ZTQtZTYxOS00N2Q2LWI4M jUtYWQwMDY3NjU0ZmQx&hl=en_US)

# of dice = quantity of dice to be rolled in each iteration
D = maximum roll. D4 max is 4, D19 is 19, etc. etc.
Plus = Gets applied once per iteration
Iterations = How many times you want it to do this

Text field will display each roll (dice for dice), and a final total at the bottom.

Let me know if there's anything about it that needs changed.

If you're afraid to download someones program from the internet I'll give you the code if you want. You can then peruse at your leisure or compile yourself.

EDIT:
Updated link to point to new version of file.

leakingpen
2011-08-05, 03:29 PM
Typewriter, you are teh awesome! I wish the dev's I have to work with had turn around times like that!

Typewriter
2011-08-05, 03:39 PM
Typewriter, you are teh awesome! I wish the dev's I have to work with had turn around times like that!

Haha, thanks for the compliment but the code was really simple. Especially since I've been making a lot of similar things for home use lately :P

NikitaDarkstar
2011-08-05, 04:13 PM
Got it right here. (https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B64n2Zv8vmuyNDRiZmYyMzUtODI0NS00YjBiLWI2N DItZWIxZTQ4ZDE0NmNk&hl=en_US)

# of dice = quantity of dice to be rolled in each iteration
D = maximum roll. D4 max is 4, D19 is 19, etc. etc.
Plus = Gets applied once per iteration
Iterations = How many times you want it to do this

Text field will display each roll (dice for dice), and a final total at the bottom.

Let me know if there's anything about it that needs changed.

If you're afraid to download someones program from the internet I'll give you the code if you want. You can then peruse at your leisure or compile yourself.

Mind if someone else (like me :p) give it a try too?

Typewriter
2011-08-05, 04:21 PM
Mind if someone else (like me :p) give it a try too?

Anyone who wants to give it a shot is free to do so, and if anyone wants any personal modifications (add in to-hit and AC or anything) let me know in as much detail as possible and I'll make a variant with the necessary pieces.

Typewriter
2011-08-05, 04:40 PM
Created a new version (https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B64n2Zv8vmuyN2ZlYjA2ZTQtZTYxOS00N2Q2LWI4M jUtYWQwMDY3NjU0ZmQx&hl=en_US) that allows scrolling if you have so many iterations that the text field gets a scroll bar. Editing other post as well.

Seatbelt
2011-08-06, 09:43 AM
This is tight thanks. Sadly it won't be needed because we don't ave time for me to run anything anymore at gencon. But I'm sure I'll use it eventually.

The_JJ
2011-08-07, 02:50 PM
You could build a 'death box.' Get a tackle box or one of those day of the week medicine holders and tape labels over them, fill each compartment with dice, and then shake. Just pick up and shake. Get a few, have one be for this class of ship with with loadout and another be that class of ship with that loadout and so on.