PDA

View Full Version : Need more strength

KotserB
2011-08-04, 05:54 AM
Hi pplz,

I was wondering if you could help me with two things:

1: are there LA 0 templates that increase strength?

2.1: Mountain Rage (RoS 150, Goliath Barbarian substition level), makes you large and gives you an additional +2 strength when raging. Do you get extra strength from becoming large as well (and con bonus and dex penalty)?

2.2: do you keep fast movement and illiteracy when taking the substitution level.

why do i want to know this? Im making a guy that throws rocks (and is just awesome). Im planning to take War Hulk (miniatures handbook) Hulking Hurler (CWa) and Frenzied Berserker (CWa as well) as prestige classes. I dont know much levels in which and such. Furthermore 1 level Monk (improved grapple can be selected as the bonus feat, throw enemies <3), 1 level Barbarian (RAGE) and 4 level fighter.

if you guys have btw any other funny builds (they dont need to be strong, they only need to be funny) plz do tell me.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-04, 07:20 AM
Warhulk works well when you duck in and out of qualifying for the class features, but I have an alternate suggestion.

Take two levels of warhulk and then go legacy champion to finish the class features and still get medium BaB. You loose out on HD, but the extra attacks from BaB mixed with the attack everything within reach is great.

KotserB
2011-08-04, 11:43 AM
im not sure whether that PRC is allowed (i don't even have that book), but i'll check it out.

dgnslyr
2011-08-04, 12:01 PM
Or you can use a Skillful weapon enchantment, which gives you average (as in cleric) BAB, if it's higher than whatever you currently have.

FMArthur
2011-08-04, 12:05 PM
You don't gain extra Strength just for increasing size. It seems strange that you would get 4x larger and not get stronger, but most actual applications of strength, such as carrying capacity, weapon damage and combat maneuvers, are modified by size directly, so you do get a corresponding amount of "strength" out of it without getting any actual Strength out of it.

bendrew64
2011-08-04, 12:10 PM
It doesn't appear to me that you gain the extra strength from becoming large, since it doesn't mention gaining any other benefits for being large when raging. I mean, a net +10 strength when raging? I think every barbarian should be a Goliath if that were the case!

And yeah, you still are illiterate and got them fast feet.

I always wanted to build a Goliath similar to this, flinging rocks and enemies and allies all about. Please oh please make a post about your experiences.

Kumori
2011-08-04, 12:11 PM
You don't gain extra Strength just for increasing size.

Yes you do. There's a chart on pg 291 of the MM. I'm gonna see if I can find it on the SRD. Edit coming.

Edit: Here it is. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases)

Edit#2: Wait, you're talking about a specific thing changing your size, forget what I said.

bendrew64
2011-08-04, 12:13 PM
Well, you do typically, but in the event that a class feature tells you that you increase size, it often states that you gain the full benefits for increasing size. In this case, I don't think your strength increases by +4 for becoming large. I think its +4 anyway. I might be wrong.

EDIT: Holy cow, +8? Yeah, I think everyone should be a barbarian if that were the case :smalltongue:

TwylyghT
2011-08-04, 12:39 PM
if you guys have btw any other funny builds (they dont need to be strong, they only need to be funny) plz do tell me.

Well I toyed with the thought of a extremely dedicated follower of Gruumsh...

Barbarian 6/ Eye of Gruumsh 4/ Blessed of Gruumsh 2/ Frenzied Berserker 8

Yeah, he didn't quite think about the consequences of joining two classes that require you to sacrifice an eye to enter. Hey, he may never find you, but gods help you if he does!

Murdim
2011-08-04, 01:32 PM
It is quite counterintuitive and might not fit your character concept, but one of the best ways to pump up your Strength score to stratospheric levels is to use... that weird thinkey-stuff called psionics.

Adrenaline rush grants an untyped, augmentable bonus to Strength, Dexterity and initiative for the round. Expansion gives you the rare size bonus to Strength as well as size increases. Strength of my enemy potentially nets you a hilariously high enhancement bonus to Strength. Same with Psychofeedback, except it's an untyped bonus.

In a non-gestalt game, the most munchk efficient way to splash some psionics in a mostly physical build would be to use the Ardent class coupled with the Practised manifester feat. At any time after your 4th character level, take five levels of Ardent, with Physical Power as a primary mantle. You will have up to +4 Strength from Adrenaline rush, +9 Strength from Psychofeedback and +2 Strength from your mantle power, all untyped bonuses.

You can/should take some Expanded knowledge feats to get Expansion (+4 size bonus to Strength and two size increases for one hour and a half) and/or Strength of my enemy (up to +12 enhancement bonus to Strength, or +8 as a swift action). Oh, and you still have three powers known from your two other mantles, which can include little things such as Hustle (move actions, yo!), Metamorphosis (like Polymorph, only better), or Psionic fly. In fact, if you take Freedom as a primary mantle and Nature as a secondary, you can have precisely that power set.

Possible outline for a build : Barbarian 1/Fighter 2/Monk 1/Ardent 5/War Hulk 7/Frenzied Berserker 1/Hulking Hurler 3.

KotserB
2011-08-04, 02:02 PM
@ Fouredged sword:
I am not allowed to use the PRC you mentioned, but your help is appreciated ;).

@ Bendrew:
this character is only for when my current character (a Chaos Gnome Beguiler 7/Mindbender 1) dies. There is however a campaign journal of that campaign. If you want you can follow our adventures. Last session we were with 3 of the 6 players and we managed to destroy a 27 HD dragon (level 6 at that time).
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192028&page=2

@ Murdim:
It doesn't make sense indeed, but ill try to understand it (i have absolutely no experience with psionics). The main reason why I wanted more strength though was because I had the levels for my character ready, I only wanted to know if there were ways to increase strength by items, races and templates (i have now Dragonborn Goliath, my max LA allowed is 1).

about the fun build thing, ive been looking through some feats and came across diving charge. Does anyone know if theres a way to do something a diving charge followed by a bull rush or a class which let you grab youre enemy, fly up and smash him on the ground? that would be pretty awesome :D

maximus25
2011-08-04, 07:45 PM
Highest strength character I ever made was a Half ogre (+6 strength), Lolth touched (+6 strength), Half dragon (+6 strength), and some other things that escape me at this moment, but it ended up with like 48 strength at level one. I was a boss

Greenish
2011-08-04, 07:49 PM
Highest strength character I ever made was a Half ogre (+6 strength), Lolth touched (+6 strength), Half dragon (+6 strength), and some other things that escape me at this moment, but it ended up with like 48 strength at level one. I was a boss48 Str and one HD at ECL 7 does not sound like a boss to me. It sounds like a corpse.

maximus25
2011-08-04, 07:57 PM
48 Str and one HD at ECL 7 does not sound like a boss to me. It sounds like a corpse.

I also had like a 30 something con. So I was sitting at like 25 hp. I also had a spiked chain, so I killed everything before it got close to me.

agahii
2011-08-04, 08:24 PM
Feral, lolth touched, mineral warrior, orc is +16 STR and +12 CON(bunch of crazy abilities also) and only +3 la... better put some points into INT though haha

Greenish
2011-08-04, 08:26 PM
Feral, lolth touched, mineral warrior, orc is +16 STR and +12 CON(bunch of crazy abilities also) and only +3 la... better put some points into INT though hahaHalf-minotaur, half-ogre (template) water orc: +20 str, -2 dex, +8 con, -2 wis, -6 int, -4 cha.

LA: +1.

agahii
2011-08-04, 08:28 PM
Half-minotaur, half-ogre (template) water orc: +20 str, -2 dex, +8 con, -2 wis, -6 int, -4 cha.

Cool add lolth touch feral and mineral warrior to that.

Greenish
2011-08-04, 08:33 PM
Cool add lolth touch feral and mineral warrior to that.Or not. I'm quite fond of the economy in only having one point of LA.

You can't even buy out 4 LA.

agahii
2011-08-04, 09:24 PM
Whats your problem?

He said strength and I obviously was giving all of the options, at which point the OP can choose where it is too much. Not to mention I added jokes to my first post, which your original quoted to try to one up. No reason to be a jerk, we try to have a friendly community here.

Greenish
2011-08-04, 09:43 PM
Whats your problem?Lack of HD lowers saves and HP. And you'll be more vulnerable for stuff like Holy Word. Also class levels tend to come with class features, which are rather nice.

He said strengthI know. He also said 0 LA.

and I obviously was giving all of the optionsNo, you didn't. For example, lycanthropy gives a neat str bonus for most (if not all) animals.

at which point the OP can choose where it is too much.Probably where it gets LA, which he is trying to avoid, as per the original post.

Not to mention I added jokes to my first post,That's very kind of you.

which your original quoted to try to one up.I obviously was giving options.

No reason to be a jerkNo reason to take comments (or even critique) on something you've suggested as a personal attack.

we try to have a friendly community here.You have my deepest gratitude for policing the forums and making sure no innocent comment passes by without becoming the target of your righteous wrath. I can feel the warmth through my laptop. Better take the battery off haha.

;P

dextercorvia
2011-08-04, 10:06 PM
Half-minotaur, half-ogre (template) water orc: +20 str, -2 dex, +8 con, -2 wis, -6 int, -4 cha.

Shouldn't that be LA +2?

Greenish
2011-08-04, 10:09 PM
Shouldn't that be LA +2?Half-ogre has LA +1 if it increases your size, otherwise it's 0. Since half-minotaur already made you Large, and half-ogre only increases your size if you're Small or Medium…

Of course, the half-ogre template isn't technically legal, since there are newer printed stats for it (as a race in both SS and RoD).

dextercorvia
2011-08-04, 10:10 PM
Half-ogre has LA +1 if it increases your size, otherwise it's 0. Since half-minotaur already made you Large, and half-ogre only increases your size if you're Small or Medium…

Of course, the half-ogre template isn't technically legal, since there are newer printed stats for it (as a race in both SS and RoD).

Is that in an errata file or something? My copy of SS just says +1.

Edit: Did it appear somewhere else first?

Greenish
2011-08-04, 10:24 PM
Is that in an errata file or something? My copy of SS just says +1.

Edit: Did it appear somewhere else first?I was talking about the half-ogre template from Dragon Magazine #313.

dextercorvia
2011-08-04, 10:39 PM
I was talking about the half-ogre template from Dragon Magazine #313.

That would be the difference. For some reason I was thinking the version in SS was a template.

darksolitaire
2011-08-05, 04:56 AM
Half-Ogre template and Half-Ogre race are different things. The half-ogre race is a crossbreed between human and an ogre, while half-ogre template can be added to non-humans to create, for example, half-ogre orcs (I don't know if there is Orog race in anywhere in 3.x?).

Therefore, Half-ogre template is as legal as anything else in Dragon Magazine, and is not made irrelevant by SS or RoD half-ogres.

maximus25
2011-08-05, 05:00 AM
Half-Ogre template and Half-Ogre race are different things. The half-ogre race is a crossbreed between human and an ogre, while half-ogre template can be added to non-humans to create, for example, half-ogre orcs (I don't know if there is Orog race in anywhere in 3.x?).

Therefore, Half-ogre template is as legal as anything else in Dragon Magazine, and is not made irrelevant by SS or RoD half-ogres.

So could I make a RoD race half-ogre and add the half ogre template to it? It's not a human.

darksolitaire
2011-08-05, 05:07 AM
By RAW, yes...but RAW also allows all sorts of shenanigans better left for imagination. Remember to cast Protection from DMG before you try, thought. I wouldn't try it :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2011-08-05, 05:14 AM
Speaking of template stacking, OP might find this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11573674&postcount=41) useful, or at very least amusing.

KotserB
2011-08-05, 05:26 AM
as far as i know only the half-minotaur is allowed (since a friend of mine used it in the videogame campaign).

Im happy with your posts although my max LA is 1.

But does anyone have thoughts on awesome flight or(/and? :D) mounted combat?