PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a class: Holy Warrior-Caster with a Guardian Angel.

DrewVolker
2011-08-04, 06:15 AM
A idea poped into my head for a class I would love to play, but I can't seem to find any already made class that fits what I am going for.
I guess gestalt cleric-paladin might work, but I would much better like to homebrew a class for it.

I am thinking of making as powerful as a gestalt character would be, but we will see.

The main idea is this: A warrior-caster who uses holy/divine energy to cast spells. Who has a spefic angel tied to him as a guardian (guardian angel). Also when casting spells that need a verbal component they basicly name off angels/divine beings then basicly ask/say what the spell does. Ex: "Ariel, Azrael, Gabriel, Micheal, Uriel. Lend me your power and heal these wounds" would be something you say when you cast heal/cure wounds. (I used Judeo-Christian angels, but you can easily change the names to match angels in your setting).

You also as I said, have a personal guardian angel that helps you when you need it and has a vested intrest in your well being. (The strength of this angel might be random, like a minor angel, major angel, arch-angel, mabye they are just randomly assigned to each member of this class when they are born. Or it goes up in strength as you level, possibly is a symbiotic relationship as in they lend you their strength, and you help them grow in power as you grow).

So what do you guys/gals think about this idea?
Know of a similar class?
Want to help me homebrew a class?
Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Yitzi
2011-08-04, 09:38 AM
Ex: "Ariel, Azrael, Gabriel, Micheal, Uriel. Lend me your power and heal these wounds"

Actually, Raphael's the one whose job involves healing. :smallsmile:

And while the idea is interesting, I'm not so sure how well it'd fit into general D&D cosmology, so it might be restricted to homebrew settings where it fits.

ShiningStarling
2011-08-04, 11:16 AM
Sounds like fun, though I would either restrict the spell list A LOT, or make them "spell-like" requests. Like at 1st you can request healing, 5th smiting, etc.

And yes, the guardian should scale with level. Dunno how, but it certainly should.

Circle of Life
2011-08-04, 11:25 AM
This might be of some use to you. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191088)

ErrantX
2011-08-04, 06:08 PM
I wrote a class like this a while back, the Channeler (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196557), check it out if you'd like. I don't generally post my work in others threads, but this seems like the sort of situation that warrants it.

The channeler is someone who makes a pact with an angel for divine invocations and holy powers. They make good fighters and blasters, and can call upon the equipment that angels use as well. Several prestige classes for it in the works as well.

-X