PDA

View Full Version : Monks that Meow

Crasical
2011-08-04, 08:05 AM
Is it possible for a human Monk to take the Healing Chi feat from the Fabulous Cats (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c) collumn from Wizards? It's a nice fluffy and fitting way to represent a concept I've been kicking around's abilities, but I don't want to have to play a tibbit.

marcielle
2011-08-04, 09:50 AM
Cat based shifter? Were-tiger?

Chaosblade
2011-08-04, 12:00 PM
This is the greatest thing ever.

bendrew64
2011-08-04, 12:18 PM
I am so happy you brought this article to us. I can't believe I missed it before.

Also, flop is the best feat ever.

Keld Denar
2011-08-04, 12:22 PM
The Fabulous Cats article has been featured a couple of times in the Iron Chef competitions. I think there was one entry in Assassin and one entry in Blade Bravo, and probably a few others.

Talya
2011-08-04, 12:30 PM
As a real life commoner, I find it distasteful to portray such deadly, ferocious beasts as cute and cuddly friends.

ImperatorK
2011-08-04, 12:34 PM
Yeah, seriously. Cats are, like, the *******s of nature. :P

As a real life commoner, I find it distasteful to portray such deadly, ferocious beasts as cute and cuddly friends.
On a slightly related note. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb0feM6imXE)

Crasical
2011-08-04, 03:12 PM
Cat based shifter? Were-tiger?

Like I said, I'd prefer to be human... Or would it be unbalanced to just ask my DM to remove the [feline] tag for me?

The Fabulous Cats article has been featured a couple of times in the Iron Chef competitions. I think there was one entry in Assassin and one entry in Blade Bravo, and probably a few others.

I'm not surprised, the Collar of Perpetual Attendance is darn useful.

BlueInc
2011-08-04, 03:24 PM
Cat Domain

Deities: Bast, Felix, Garfield, Morris, Schrodinger.

Bwahahahaha. Love it.

Cerlis
2011-08-04, 03:46 PM
well if you want to go by RAI, i'd say your DM would be entirely unreasonable if they disallowed a human with that "Sexy cat" template from the Book of Erotic Fantasy from taking these feats.

(there is a reptilian, and feline template +0LA i believe)

expessially since Healing Chi, in the context of a humanoid doing it, seems COMPLETELY in character for someone of that modified genetics.

Greenish
2011-08-04, 08:46 PM
Or would it be unbalanced to just ask my DM to remove the [feline] tag for me?You're paying a feat to be able to speed up natural healing. You're playing a monk.

:smallamused:

Crasical
2011-08-04, 08:52 PM
You're playing a monk.

Yo momma dress you funny. :smalltongue:

I'm playing a in a very, very low op party. I had to steer one of the party thieves towards weapon finesse on his 20 dex, 7 str halfling fighter instead of the Stealthy Feat. I'm going to be fine no matter what I do, so why -not- bring out the crazy concept builds?

Edit: Though if you have a better use of Touch of Golden Ice than flurrying and going 'make a billion saving throws!' as a monk I'm open to hear it.

Greenish
2011-08-04, 08:57 PM
I'm playing a in a very, very low op party. I had to steer one of the party thieves towards weapon finesse on his 20 dex, 7 str halfling fighter instead of the Stealthy Feat. I'm going to be fine no matter what I do, so why -not- bring out the crazy concept builds?I meant that no, burning a feat to boost other people's natural healing won't be unbalanced.

Besides, what does Weapon Finesse matter once he picks up a pebble? :smallwink:

HunterOfJello
2011-08-04, 09:04 PM
Play a Tibbit Swordsage with those feats. You can go into cat form and then use Greater Insightful Strike for 70+ damage easy. Each of the swordsage stances that are based on size would be even more useful once you're Tiny size.

*edit*

Whoops, didn't see the unoptimized part. Play a Tibbit Crusader then.

Greenish
2011-08-04, 11:14 PM
Whoops, didn't see the unoptimized part. Play a Tibbit Crusader then.You also missed this:
I don't want to have to play a tibbit.

HunterOfJello
2011-08-04, 11:34 PM
You also missed this:

I didn't miss the second one. I thought he might change his mind once he got his mind around the concept of a kitty cat killing dragons and large powerful enemies by attacking them with it's extraordinary but completely non-magical claw scratches.

maximus25
2011-08-05, 04:49 AM
I wanna play a cat now. I don't care how optimized it is, I'm going the flop feat tree and writhe. I'll be annoying and force everyone to lose their actions petting me :3

Morph Bark
2011-08-05, 05:08 AM
As said before, shifters are one of the races who might fluff-wise be allowed to take it without problem, or otherwise catfolk (RotW) with LA buyoff. Well, and tibbits ye--

Like I said, I'd prefer to be human...

I AM HUMAN AND I NEED TO BE LOVED

Either way, I don't think this is unbalanced at all and if you tell the DM the ways it would benefit the party, I figure he'd be inclined to agree. From there you just need to take the step to actually getting it approved.