PDA

View Full Version : Craft point system.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-04, 01:11 PM
Is there a good system for crafting points for DnD 3.5? D20 modern has a craft system in it's post apocaliptic setting. I am wondering if there is a good way to do something like that in DnD. Something to allow characters to craft mundain items in a GP and cityless world.

I am building a setting that will be very tribal and the concept of GP will be non-existant. I would like to be able to reward charcters with a point like system for resorces, allowing them to craft things or have NPC's craft things for them.

I will build my own if I must. I have some ideas about working with the craft rules.

Has anyone already made something like this?

Diarmuid
2011-08-04, 01:22 PM
In a GP-less world, isnt a point system really just a replacement GP system? Why not just work on bartering and use GP values as the basis for trades?

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-04, 01:37 PM
trade isn't so much the point. Crafting is.

I would like to have a way to diferentiate difrent materials. Metal will be a big deal in this world, so maybe a pool of standard material points and special materials, like iron and such.

Maybe I should just make a primitive version of most items and then a normal version.

A greatsword carved from a single dinosaur bone and edged in obsidian is an awsome idea.

On another note, maybe I should just focus on the time it takes to make things. There are lots of resorces so long as you aren't doing anything special...

I am now thinking that there should be four difrent types of item - stuff that is basicly free, stuff that requires time but no resorces, stuff that takes both time and resorces, and then things that take special resoreces not normaly avalable.

Free stuff - arrows, spears, lether armor.
time only - bows, wood and stone items.
resorces - stuff made from large bones of dinosaurs.
special - metal items.

I think I may just do away with the idea of metal crafting in this world. I will just let there be a crafting process that makes bone as hard and sharpenable. Let it fall under Craft(Bonecarving).

Maybe pools of points for each type of craft. - Bone for Bones, Leather for leather.

woodcrafting and stone carving would be free if you had stone or trees nearby.

CTrees
2011-08-04, 01:52 PM
Going with stone age, metal is unavailable is interesting... Look at the spell components, too - making metal inaccessible, or nearly so, does interesting things to spell lists. My initial suggestion was "derp, I play a cleric, cast plane shift to Mechanus/the City of Brass, get metal, be rich," but then I remembered "wait, that requires a metal tuning fork." Ditto Wall of Iron - you need metal as a component.

What makes this more fun is that the usual response of "Eschew Materials!" isn't valid, as metal is drastically more valuable, and thus, by default, moves out of reach of Eschew with changed economy.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-04, 01:58 PM
I was going to hand wave the metal material components, and the game will be E6, removeing most planer travel issues.

I like the idea of Pools for each material though. I would give any given monster that has a useful amount of a material a 1dx+y amount of it as a reward for returning it's butched body to the camp.

Mix that with a high yield per foe, but make combat dangerous system will make combat something to be avoided and takeing down something big important. There is the issue of getting the body home as well.

This game will be free of some of the convieneces that make such a task easy - no extradimentional spaces - little or no planer travel.

I am fiddeling around with it for this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210143) world I am building

CTrees
2011-08-04, 02:11 PM
Ah, that works! Much harder to break your system in half when you're in E6!