PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Sniper Build Help

TurtleKing
2011-08-04, 02:55 PM
Hello fellow playgrounders. I want to play a Sniper type character that uses a large ranged weapon dealing high damage at long range than shoot then duck and hide type sniper. My character is a big game hunter looking to make a name for himself in a new location that is being colonized. Majoring in high damage and range archery with a minor in traps and poisons. The only books I have available are:

Player's Guide
Advanced Player's Guide
Ultimate Combat
Ultimate Magic
Inner Sea World ...

Thinking of a Ranger with the Crossbow combat style. Using a Heavy Crossbow as the weapon. What all feats, spells, equipment, and magic items/enhancements could I get with the books allowed? Starting from level 1. I appreciate any builds you can come up with, but would like to keep it fairly simple meaning keeping the multi-classing to a minimum.

Edit: I am not wanting to play the armed mole in Whack-a-Mole. So I am not looking to be a Rogue hides-shoots-then hides again. This a request on help making a long range (read 200ft+) moderately to high damage character that is a hunter.

Retech
2011-08-04, 03:00 PM
Relevant: http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/rules/sniping

Obviously, not everything will be applicable, but there are good ideas in there.

And rogue is probably better for sniping, since you get sneak attack bonus on top of it (while ranger doesn't have anything extra).

TurtleKing
2011-08-04, 03:11 PM
I know about the sniping rules that are hide-shoot-then maybe hide again. That is however not what I am wanting to do. Granted I will likely hide before shooting, but that is only to get a suprise round on the target. If I was wanting to do that then I could just use a firearm with the homebrewing the DM is planning of allowing xbow feats to apply to firearms as well.

I want to deal a lot of damage at a longer range than just 60ft. So based on the character concept and source limitations what build help you have for me?

DefKab
2011-08-04, 03:31 PM
I know about the sniping rules that are hide-shoot-then maybe hide again. That is however not what I am wanting to do. Granted I will likely hide before shooting, but that is only to get a suprise round on the target. If I was wanting to do that then I could just use a firearm with the homebrewing the DM is planning of allowing xbow feats to apply to firearms as well.

I want to deal a lot of damage at a longer range than just 60ft. So based on the character concept and source limitations what build help you have for me?

Can you use the pathfinder web site for source material? www.d20pfsrd.com contains almost everything Paizo's put out...

Retech
2011-08-04, 03:33 PM
Oh, you mean someone that deals damage at extremely long ranges compared to more of the traditional sniper, that kills with surprise?

TurtleKing
2011-08-04, 03:34 PM
I am since I don't have any of the books or money to get them. I will try to keep what I pull from there from the five books allowed.

Silus
2011-08-04, 03:45 PM
*Pops in*

Sup man, here's some things you may like:

Trophy Hunter (ranger Archetype):
1st lvl: Improved tracking: +2 to Survival when following & identifying tracks. May attempt a DC 15 Know (Nature) check to get info on the animal being tracked. Replaces Wild Empathy.

2nd lvl: Firearm Style: Amateur Gunslinger feat free, use any 1st lvl Gunslinger deed. Every 4 levels thereafter, you may take a grit feat or gunslinger deed of your level or lower, your choice. Replaces combat feat style.

4th lvl: Hunter's Aim: When you make a firearm attack against a favored enemy, you can target the touch AC in the first two range increments. Stacks with feats like Far shot and other Touch AC ones. Replaces Hunter's Bond.

Sniper (Rogue archetype):
1st lvl: Accuracy: 1/2 all range increment penalties on ranged attacks with bow or crossbow. Replaces trapfinding.

3rd lvl: Deadly Range: Increases range that you can apply your sneak attack by 10 feet. Increases by 10 feet for every 3 levels after 3rd. Replaces trap sense.

Edit: There is also magic items that help with sniping (Oil of Silence that silences firearms for 1 hour and Far Reaching Sight (Full Round action lets you resolve the attack against the touch AC of target regardless of range increment)).

DefKab
2011-08-04, 03:47 PM
If I were to do it, at first level, I'd go with your Ranger, but instead use a Composite Longbow... With just a 16 Strength, you do 1d8+3 which is more damage, and even with a 14, it's 1d8+2, which is same max, but higher overall... Only a 10' difference in range. Obviously Far Shot is a good feat for a sniper.

Eldariel
2011-08-04, 04:17 PM
Start with a level or two in Ranger (you need the class skills), go into Fighter or Barbarian for the rest of your career (could even take a level in Barbarian, then head into Fighter for maximum damage - Barbarian has Perception in class); apply everything to Longbows, get massive Strength and Dex, profit. That's about the best you can do in PF. Obviously Deadly Aim, but that's a given. And a Bow that suits your strength.

You definitely do more damage with a bow than a crossbow since you can easily get ~+10 from Strength alone in due schedule. But yeah, just the Fighter class buffs are really all you can get in this system so unless you're willing to resort to magic, go for that (Holy Warrior Cleric can do some amazing stuff with Bows).

TurtleKing
2011-08-04, 04:19 PM
Firearms...no. As for bows or xbows I could go with either but xbows seem to offer more damage than bows such as with Deadly Aim which is basically the ranged version of Power Attack. Plus the bow/archery style seems more of a machine gun style.

Edit: Don't Composite Bows have a max limit on how much of the Strength modifer can be applied? Also thanks on the Barbarian and Fighter suggestions. Depending on just how much of Ranger I could go before not really beneficial anymore may switch over to one of those. Also what Ranger spells are good for this?

The Gilded Duke
2011-08-04, 04:31 PM
I'd actually skip the sniper archtype as nice as it is.
Once you get a pair of sniper goggles the entire archtype is almost useless.
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/magicItems/wondrousItems.html

Eldariel
2011-08-04, 04:32 PM
Firearms...no. As for bows or xbows I could go with either but xbows seem to offer more damage than bows such as with Deadly Aim which is basically the ranged version of Power Attack. Plus the bow/archery style seems more of a machine gun style.

One Shot One Kill isn't really supported by PF. You're giving up nothing by doing a full attack at range either way. Bow will get more damage than Crossbow in the long run. Pick up Guide (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger/archetypes/paizo---ranger-archetypes/guide) Ranger for the Ranger's Focus, Barbarian for some Rage rounds and Fast Movement, and then just Fighter (Archer is slightly better than the default (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/archer)) all the way. This maximizes the damage you do when you decide to go onto someone.

Fighter eventually gets +5 to hit and damage with bows and Greater Focus and Specialization. This makes Deadly Aim more bearable (-6 on level 20). Eventually, you might be looking at damage along the lines of:

1d8 + 12 Strength (inc. +2 modifier from Rage) + 5 Enhancement + 12 Deadly Aim + 4 Specialization + 5 Bow Focus + 2 Ranger Focus without involving the actual weapon enhancements (they'll amount to ~+5d6 or so) for 1d8 + 40 per arrow, which is somewhat respectable. Attack bonus would be in the neighborhood of 20 BAB + 13 Dex + 5 Weapon + 2 WF + 5 Bow Focus + 2 Ranger's Focus - 6 Deadly Aim - 2 Rapid Shot = +40 or so. Probably Haste from items for 1 more.

Mind, not doing a full attack is a huge waste once you get iteratives; you're going to either attack once in the round, or multiple times, and you get nothing for not attacking multiple times. You can do up to 6 attacks on high levels with a bow; there's no way to get enough damage to make up for missing all that and unlike in 3.X, PF contains no way to convert those extra attacks into something tangible (in 3.5, you can get around 50% critical chance if you give the extra attacks up, giving you a decent x5 damage on your single attack, but PF has no such options). As such, it's really an option of sniping for 1d8+40 or sniping for 6d8+240.

Of course, the lower the level the less difference this makes. But even from level 1, thanks to Rapid Shot, you're basically giving up potential damage for blanks if you stick to one attack per round; it's just not really supported.

TurtleKing
2011-08-04, 05:19 PM
Crossbow Mastery feat which is available as the 6th level combat feat makes reloading a crossbow a free action. Tack on Improved Precise Shot and Pinpoint Targeting and they get no armor/shield bonus plus no AC from anything less than Total Cover as well as ignore miss chance from anything less than Total Concealment. Point being though that by 6th level no difference between bow and crossbow in reload times with Crossbow Mastery.

Another thing to take into account is the Favored Enemy class feature. While the Fighter's weapon training results in +5 to attack and damage the Ranger's favored enemy gets upto +10 to attack and damage. These figures are based on on single classing.

Bow: 1d8+Str Mod (4)+Deadly Aim (12)+Favored Enemy (10)+Enhancement (5)+anything else?
So 1d8+4+12+10+5+?=32-39 at least for each attack
Xbow:1d10+Dex Mod if can be applied+Deadly Aim (12)+favored enemy (10)+enhancement (5)+ anything else? So 1d10+12+10+5+?=28-37 at least for each attack

So overall both have are capable with dealing damage.

Fax Celestis
2011-08-04, 05:44 PM
I'm playing an archer-type myself, but I decided to go with Zen Archery and a psychic warrior. I still get access to the boatload of feats that archery requires, but I get some power access to help it along (burst, hustle, prevenom, offensive precognition, and chameleon immediately come to mind as low-level archery/sniping aids).

Silus
2011-08-04, 05:50 PM
Some feats from Ultimate Combat you might want to look at:

Hammer the Gap
Req: +6 BAB
With a full-attack action, each hit against the same opponent deals extra damage. Each consecutive hit deals extra damage equal to the number of previous consecutive hits that you have made against the opponent this turn. This damage is multiplied on a crit.

Clustered Shots
Req: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, +6 BAB
Total damage from full round ranged attack before applying DR.

Opening Volley
Req: -
Successful ranged attack grants +4 on next melee attack roll.

(If you're going with crossbows)
Prone Shooter
Req: Weapon Focus (Crossbow or Firearm), +1 BAB
May ignore penalties for shooting while prone.

Rapid Reload
Req: Weapon Proficancy (Crossbow) or Ex Weap Prof (Firearm)
Reload your weapon quickly (Not sure if this stacks with other fast reloading abilities)

Snap Shot
Req: Rapid Shot, Weapon Focus, +6 BAB
Threaten squares within 5 feet of you when wielding a ranged weapon

Imp Snap Shot
Req: Dex 15, Snap Shot, +9 BAB
Threaten an additional 10 feet with Snap Shot.

Greater Snap Shot
Req: Dex 17, Imp Snap Shot, +12 BAB
Gain bonus on damage and critical confirmation when using ranged weapons.

Edit: Two mote that might interest you.

Improved Called Shot
Req: Int 13, Combat Expertise
+2 bonus on attack rolls when making a called shot, only may attempt one called shot per round.

Greater Called Shot
Req: Int 13, Combat Expertise, Improved Called Shot, +6 BAB
Whenever you choose to make an attack, you can replace that attack with a called shot. You can make multiple called shots in a single round. Each additional called shot after the first made int eh same round takes a -5 penalty. In addition, a called shot that deals half the creature's HP of damage (min 40) is a debilitating blow (special bits for the called area).

Eldariel
2011-08-04, 06:35 PM
Crossbow Mastery feat which is available as the 6th level combat feat makes reloading a crossbow a free action. Tack on Improved Precise Shot and Pinpoint Targeting and they get no armor/shield bonus plus no AC from anything less than Total Cover as well as ignore miss chance from anything less than Total Concealment. Point being though that by 6th level no difference between bow and crossbow in reload times with Crossbow Mastery.

Another thing to take into account is the Favored Enemy class feature. While the Fighter's weapon training results in +5 to attack and damage the Ranger's favored enemy gets upto +10 to attack and damage. These figures are based on on single classing.

Bow: 1d8+Str Mod (4)+Deadly Aim (12)+Favored Enemy (10)+Enhancement (5)+anything else?
So 1d8+4+12+10+5+?=32-39 at least for each attack
Xbow:1d10+Dex Mod if can be applied+Deadly Aim (12)+favored enemy (10)+enhancement (5)+ anything else? So 1d10+12+10+5+?=28-37 at least for each attack

So overall both have are capable with dealing damage.

Yes, Crossbows trivially get iteratives. That does not help with the fact that they have significantly lower damage ceiling, however, lacking your entire Strength for average 1 point increase in die size.

Fighter gets +1 To Hit and +4 To Damage over Ranger from Greater Weapon Focus and Specialization; given Favored Enemy is just that, Favored Enemy (only one type, and the categories are super-precise), that bonus won't be applicable much of the time. Fighter has constant +6 To Hit and +9 To Damage, while Ranger has situational +10/+10 (and +8/+8, +6/+6, +4/+4 and +2/+2; against two types he's better than the Fighter, against all rest worse).

Further, Fighter gets these bonuses by level 17 opening up e.g. Barbarian and Ranger dips for further bonuses (Barbarian Rage has +4 Strength which translates to +2 damage and Ranger can take Favored Enemy or Ranger Focus, either of which grants +2 further To Hit and Damage, Focus against one opponent per day and Favored Enemy vs. your Favored Enemy, translating to a significantly higher damage and only 2 points worse To Hit than the Ranger). Overall, Fighter is significantly stronger with the bow especially since you get some small toys from the Archer class. One level in Ranger is enough to keep the relevant skills maxed due to Pathfinder skill system so this build really has mostly advantages over the Ranger (though if you want spells, Ranger obviously has those; also Hide in Plain Sight).

There's no way to apply Dex to damage with Crossbows in Pathfinder, which is why I keep saying that Longbows are better. In 3.5 you could take Crossbow Sniper but again, everything is better in 3.5.

Silus
2011-08-04, 07:00 PM
There's no way to apply Dex to damage with Crossbows in Pathfinder, which is why I keep saying that Longbows are better. In 3.5 you could take Crossbow Sniper but again, everything is better in 3.5.

Not so.

Level 3 alternate class feature for fighter (Crossbowman Archetype) has the following:

Deadshot (Ex): At 3rd level, when a crossbowman attacks with a crossbow as a readied action, he may add 1/2 his Dex bonus (min of +1) to his damage roll. This replaces armor training 1.

Improved Deadshot tacks on denial of Dex bonus to AC.

Though if he wanted to munchkin some things he could take a level of Alchemist. Pop a Dex/Strength mutigen, Rage, pop a True Stike potion (or Enlarge Person depending on his taste) and let loose.

Eldariel
2011-08-04, 07:03 PM
Not so.

I meant as a damage bonus stat; 3.5 has "Crossbow Sniper" which directly adds ½ Dex to all Crossbow damage always (and increases Sneak Attack range to 60' with 'em). Crossbowman's abilities are extremely situational.

Silus
2011-08-04, 07:04 PM
I meant as a damage bonus stat; 3.5 has "Crossbow Sniper" which directly adds ½ Dex to all Crossbow damage always (and increases Sneak Attack range to 60' with 'em). Crossbowman's abilities are extremely situational.

Ah, true. My apologies for nitpicking =P

TurtleKing
2011-08-04, 07:07 PM
Well ok what spells are useful to a long range sniper? Several I looked at on the srd looked pretty good while several more looked a bit meh, but how many of those do I really have access to? I am not wanting to be a one trick pony so which one works better for being diverse? With the fighter build I mostly only see the archery, while with the Ranger I see a greater versatility. Another aspect is able to pull off a few traps and poisons with the Ranger than the Fighter. While we are at it what poisons and trap are useful?
I know that profession does not have to equal class just wanting the best fit mechanics.

Silus
2011-08-04, 07:10 PM
Well ok what spells are useful to a long range sniper? Several I looked at on the srd looked pretty good while several more looked a bit meh, but how many of those do I really have access to? I am not wanting to be a one trick pony so which one works better for being diverse? With the fighter build I mostly only see the archery, while with the Ranger I see a greater versatility. Another aspect is able to pull off a few traps and poisons with the Ranger than the Fighter. While we are at it what poisons and trap are useful?
I know that profession does not have to equal class just wanting the best fit mechanics.

*Cracks open a few books*

How many levels were you looking at taking in Ranger, and were you going to take any archetypes? You mentioned traps, so might you be taking the Trapper Archetype?

TurtleKing
2011-08-04, 07:19 PM
Are the traps better than the spells?

Silus
2011-08-04, 07:25 PM
Are the traps better than the spells?

Hard to say, but looking at the archetype, you have to take 5 levels in the archetype before you even get the traps. Though at 10th level you can attach them to an arrow or crossbow bold to set them at a range. There are ten traps, but the cost of getting traps is that you forfeit spells altogether.

Edit: Sorry, turns out there is a feat that allows you to learn one Ranger trap per feat. Also, Ranger traps last for one day per Ranger level. So, in theory, if you were to take ten levels in Ranger (Trapper) and ten levels of Fighter, you could make a bunch of trapped crossbow bolts and make a minefield (See: Exploding Trap).

DeMouse
2011-08-04, 07:27 PM
If you are actually going to be sniping then the onyl reasonable choice is a halfling rogue (taking the shadowy alternate race option) so that you end up with no penalty to stealth while sniping.

If you want to be able to shoot people for high damage from far away then I would reccomend using a Double Crossbow instead of a heavy crossbow, going fighter or ranger for full BAB, elf so that you have better perection and can take the feat to reduce distance penalties on perception. With crossbow mastery it is a move to deload a double crossbow and vital striking is a standard action.

The base damage on a double crossbow is 1d8 twice (2d8 effectively but you double enhancement bonuses ETC too). If you get somone to cast gravity bow on you or you get an item of constant gravity bow your dice are 4d6 + twice moifiers. Vital striking for 8d6 at level 6, 12d6 at level 11 and 16d6 at level 16. You will be able to hit people from ages away due to the perception bonuses (take ranks in perception) and having full BAB.

Only disadvantage is you take -4 on attack rolls with a double crossbow but I think it is worth it. Especially for a crossbow fighter who gets more attack than he knows what to do with.

TurtleKing
2011-08-04, 08:59 PM
Did you not read that I don't want do the Rogue type of sniping?:smallannoyed:

Silus
2011-08-04, 09:08 PM

You do realize that most people attribute "sniping" as long range shooting and being able to kill an enemy (at long range) while not only not being seen, but also dealing enough damage to kill said enemy in one or, at most, two shots.

If that's not what you are going for, then please, spell it out for us.

TurtleKing
2011-08-04, 09:23 PM
Silus you just did spell out what I am wanting. Most people in the RL think of sniping as that, but here on the forums they think of it being with a Rogue. The max range a Rogue can snipe at is 90ft which is not long range. Though I did hear of a fairly expensive magic item (20k gold) that makes the range indiffenent.

To me the Rogue type sniping is a Whack-a-Mole with the mole shooting back at you. I am wanting the "I am so far away and hit you so hard that if you survived I could have been long gone...or have put a lot more into your banged up body". I know one shot isn't going to put everything down, but the fewer shots the better.

Now that I think about it what benefits does a Fighter based build get with Perception except for feats? With Ranger I can use spells as well as feats. You can only shoot with any reliability as far as you can see. Probably reason why I'll get some type of bird as my animal companion.

Edit: Read about the Sniper's Deadly Range which can get upto 90ft.

Curious
2011-08-04, 09:38 PM
Popping in to suggest archer Paladin. Smite Evil is pretty amazing when combined with a nice full-attack every turn.

Silus
2011-08-04, 09:41 PM
Silus you just did spell out what I am wanting. Most people in the RL think of sniping as that, but here on the forums they think of it being with a Rogue. The max range a Rogue can snipe at is 60ft which is not long range. Though I did hear of a fairly expensive magic item (20k gold) that makes the range indiffenent.

To me the Rogue type sniping is a Whack-a-Mole with the mole shooting back at you. I am wanting the "I am so far away and hit you so hard that if you survived I could have been long gone...or have put a lot more into your banged up body". I know one shot isn't going to put everything down, but the fewer shots the better.

Now that I think about it what benefits does a Fighter based build get with Perception except for feats? With Ranger I can use spells as well as feats. You can only shoot with any reliability as far as you can see. Probably reason why I'll get some type of bird as my animal companion.

Well, if you stuck with the spellcasting Ranger, you get Entangle as a 1st lvl spell. Stealth in, drop that, then, while the enemy is distracted, sneak attack, move, sneak attack, move, ect. ect.. While 60ft away, their DC mod/penalty for Perception would be +11 (+5 for being distracted, +1 per 10 feet).

If you were to take levels in Rogue, you could get rogue talents that affect your Sneak attack, like Bleed Attack (Damage each round equal to the number of Sneak Attack dice you roll), Camouflage (1/day, lasts all day or until you fail a check, adds +4 Stealth), Terrain Mastery (as the Ranger ability Favored Terrain) Sniper's eye (Sneak Attack damage on enemies in 30ft that benefit from cover).

Edit: If you want to dish out a lot of damage from a long range and don't want to be seen, your best bet is to get a lot of levels in rogue. You're getting Sneak Attack damage along with range at which to deal that damage, along with other stealthy ranged damage doodads.

Edit #2: I assume you've been reading the threads I've been putting up around here (I don't mind during the constructive process =P) that ya'll will be exporting goods, possibly Starmetal. That means lots of gold. Also, considering an NPC/DMPC for bookwormish type stuff including, but not limited to Craft Wondrous Item. Save the guy's life/help him get the find of the century, and he just may...repay you.

The Gilded Duke
2011-08-04, 10:56 PM
It sounds like you want extreme range more then damage.
The main limiter on extreme range isn't really range increments but perception.

The DC to notice a visible creature is 0.
The DC for perception checks increases by 1 every 10 feet.
With a Perception score of 0, the max you can see is 200 feet on a really good roll.

To get the highest visible range you are going to want a wisdom based ranged character with perception as a class skill.

Ranger, Inquisitor and Monk all fit that roll.
I haven't played Inquisitor, but I'm sure it has its advantages.

Zen Archer Monk has its upsides though
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/zen-archer

Wisdom to attack, wisdom to perception, wisdom to ac. Flurry of Blows with a bow. Bonus feats. Perfect Strike etc. Then just pick up a composite longbow and far shot.

TurtleKing
2011-08-05, 12:42 PM
Yes.

I have decided to play an Half Elf Ranger with the feats PBS, Skill Focus: Perception, and Far Shot. I picked up Far Shot because I have Seeker of Brightness and Elven Reflexes. My stats are:

STR 10
DEX 18
CON 12
INT 12
WIS 14
CHA 11

My Perception is 4 ranks+ 3 SF+ 1 trait+ 2 WIS mod+ 2 Racial= a +12 Perception so I can see upto 320ft.

Because of my stats and only having 130g I am getting a Heavy Crossbow with 5 sets of Crossbow bolts and Leather Armor taking up half of my budget.

I still have my adventuring gear, mount, melee weapon, and anything else to get with the other 65g. So any suggestions?

Silus
2011-08-05, 02:36 PM
Um, I don't want to be that nitpicky jerk, but the Seeker of Brightness trait is from Elves of Golarion and Elven Reflexes isn't in any of the books (in fact, it says "This is fan-created content or a fan conversion" in the SRD entry).

TurtleKing
2011-08-05, 02:47 PM
.....damn.

Back to drawing board.

Edit: Perception now at +11 for a max of 310ft.

Silus
2011-08-05, 03:03 PM
Honestly, I'd keep the base traits as is. They're not bad for what you're going for, especially Multitalented if you're going to multiclass. Most, if not all alternate traits have you give something up.

The Gilded Duke
2011-08-05, 03:06 PM
Seeker of Brightness still works, half elves count as Elves and Humans for any effect related to race.

You could also pick up the "Warrior of Old" elf racial trait which also gives you +2 to initiative.

Silus
2011-08-05, 03:09 PM
Seeker of Brightness still works, half elves count as Elves and Humans for any effect related to race.

You could also pick up the "Warrior of Old" elf racial trait which also gives you +2 to initiative.

The main issues is that it's not in the "approved" books (In the first post).

Edit: @ Turtle: Bear Traps for 2g a piece (Advanced Player's Guide)? Work like the trap on the SRD.

Edit #2: Ok, I'm stupid. Elven Reflexes IS in the Advanced Player's Guide. And Duke is right, Warrior's of Old would work.

TurtleKing
2011-08-05, 03:47 PM
Ok Reactionary and Magical Talent: Guidance.

Thanks on the Bear Trap. What mount would be good to get? Should I get the tried and true Mule for the awesomeness/ utility?

Edit: Elven Reflexes, Reactionary, and Warrior of Old each result in a +2 Initiative. The ones who benefit the most are Elves and Half Elves getting 2 of the 3 having the same effect as Improved Initiative.

DeMouse
2011-08-06, 01:43 AM

Yes I did and thats why my post mainly dals with the long range one if you actually read it.

I mentioned the halfling thing for people who noticed this thread and want to actually use the sniping action.

TurtleKing
2011-08-06, 09:13 AM
Ranger spells that my character would find useful based on level and function. These spells are not available till 4th level at the soonest.

Level 1:
1. Alarm-sensory to knowing when prey are in the area
2. Aspect of the Falcon-increase Percption which leads to increase range and ranged attack plus increased critical multiplier
3. Detect Animals and Plants-looking for prey
4. Endure Elements-makes hunting in adverse climates possible
5. Entangle-a long range holding/slowing trap, can also be used for getaways
6. Feather Step-makes moving in difficult terrain easier
7. Glide-for the expeditious getting out of the tree you climbed
8. Gravity Bow-use for when you need the prey to die now
9. Hide from Animals-use for when you want the first blood or in over your head
10. Keen Senses-to see more resulting in farther range
11. Know the Enemy-when you want to know what you saw yesterday
12. Longstrider-for when it is time to go lasts a long time
13. Negate Aroma-long duration of not smellin
14. Pass without Trace-for when you don't want to be found

Level 2:
1. Acute Senses-increase Perception by alot effectively adding close to a range increment each time in range
2. Arrow Eruption-explode the last bolt you just fired hitting nearby targets
3. Apewalk-makes getting into those trees easier
4. Bloodhound-helps you find your prey
5. Cat's Grace-for the extra little boost in DEX
6. Chameleon Stride-keep them guessing where you are at
7. Cure Light Wounds-never said this was safe
8. Eagle Eye-bird's eye view nuff said
9. Hold Animal-spell enhanced command of "stay"
10. Hunter's Eye-marked target can't get out of your sight
11. Percieve Cues-able to read the target, increased range
12. Snare-magic trap
13. Spike Growth-spiky carpet trap, has huge damage potential
14. Versatile Weapon-when you need to get around a creatures defense
15. Wind Wall-when you don't want to be bothered by gases, small creatures, or or someone else's arrows

Level 3:
1. Fickle Winds-when you want shoot but other s can't hit you
2. Life Bubble-powerful bubble that protects against most environmental hazards
3. Venomous Bolt-bolt capable of dealing poison that can kill

Level 4:
1. Bow Spirit-allows non-provoking ranged attacks while in melee
2. Freedom of Movement-nothig can hold you down
3. Grove of Respite-sustaining shelter
4. Tree Stride-when you want to get from one side of the forest to another

This is all witout using third party publishers which has some good spells.

Edit: How is 90ft long range except for attacks that are at shorter ranges?

Greenish
2011-08-06, 09:46 AM
1. Bow Spirit-allows non-provoking ranged attacks while in meleeThat's 4th level spell? :smallconfused:

[Edit]: Ah, it's swift action attacks for round/level. Sort of meh, still.

TurtleKing
2011-08-06, 06:59 PM
Didn't say they were awesome just something my character would find useful. I actually do choose things and play my character not highly optimised. I at most moderately optimise according to the character concept.

Prime32
2011-08-06, 07:48 PM
To accomplish the style you're after, I would suggest asking your DM for a house rule on full attacks in general, letting anyone make a single powerful attack instead of multiple attacks. Maybe +50% damage for every extra attack they give up? (eg. instead of making three attacks you could make one attack that deals double damage)

TurtleKing
2011-08-06, 08:59 PM
Kind of like Cragtop Archer? That PrC in 3.5's RoS has several abilities that increase range and/or deal extra damage. If I could pull from there plus a few feats I could turn this into a damage machine.

Edit: With Cragtop Archer you get not losing your Dex bonus while climbing, half the perception penalty due to range (-1 for every 20ft rather than normal) + same effect as Far Shot (wondering what happens if you have both?), +2 damage rolls when attacking from higher ground than target, can arc a shot as long as 40ft clearance resulting in max of 15 range increments, able to shoot out to max range with no penalty as a full round action, and 3/day gain damage reduction lasting 5+ CON mod each time. The PrC class is only 5 levels long. Frankly I would take it if I could.

Edit2: A DEX version of the Vital Strike line?

Greenish
2011-08-07, 07:14 AM
Didn't say they were awesome just something my character would find useful.I was just surprised that they'd made that effect into 4th level spell (it's 1st level in 3.5), but reading the actual spell I noticed it's quite different.

TurtleKing
2011-08-07, 09:33 AM
I wonder if a simple homebrewing or someone show me the DEX/ranged version of Vital Strike. Vital Strike has you give up an attack to roll the weapon's damage dice twice adding them together before anything else. The Improved and Greater increases it up by 3 and 4 times respectively. So instead 5 or 6 shots I instead fire 1 dealing similar weapon damage as I would get with those shots.

Greenish
2011-08-07, 09:39 AM
I wonder if a simple homebrewing or someone show me the DEX/ranged version of Vital Strike.How about this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/vital-strike-combat---final)?

TurtleKing
2011-08-07, 10:43 AM
I know plus if could just substitute Strength for Dexterity that would be great.

A list of attributes that either enhance damage or increase it are: weapon, Favored Enemy, enhancements, Deadly Aim, Vital Strike?, and spells. The spells that help with damage are Gravity Bow, Aspect of the Falcon on a critical, Versatile Weapon for bypassing damage reduction, and Venomous Bolt for the CON damage poison.

So by level 20
Normal: Xbow 1d10+Deadly Aim 12+Favored Enemy 10+ Enhancement 5= 28-37 damage (not including anything like Flaming enhancement)
critical (x2): 2d10+24+20+10= 56-74 damage

Spells: Gravity Bow 2d8+12+10+5+Venomous Bolt 1d3/6 rounds= 29-43 damage + 6-18CON damage (unless saved against in the duration)
critical: Aspec of the Falcon(x3 crit) 6d8+36+30+15+3d3/6 rounds (if can be critted with)= 87-129 damage + 18-54 CON damage

Now if I can get Vital Strike to work...besides I don't need a DEX version I don't add DEX to my damage anyway.
(Greater) Vital Strike:
Normal: 4d10+12+10+5= 31-67 damage
Crit (x2): 8d10+24+20+10= 62-134 damage

Spells: 8d8+12+10+5+1d3/6= 35-91 damage + 6-18 CON damage
Crit (x3): 6d8+ (Vital Strike doesn't multiply on a crit) 6d8+36+30+15+3d3/6= 93-177 damage + 18-54 CON damage

Here is the math between a normal attack, spell enhanced, and Vital Strike attacks basd on normal and spell enhanced. Please check my math especially on the criticals. I labeled all the parts of my math.

TurtleKing
2011-08-09, 09:35 AM
Okay to keep this thread going a little longer plus I need a little help with Ultimate Combat. I really like Vital Strike line and plan on taking it, but how does the Devastating Strike feat work with Vital Strike? Does it just add some damage on to it, or does it make it where you can multiply the bonus damage dice on a crit? Plus is there anything else that would be useful to my character in the book I haven't seen so far?

Edit: Are there any spells that are good? Named Bullet seems nice but how does it work?