PDA

View Full Version : pimp my ride!.... er... mount

big teej
2011-08-04, 05:48 PM
I've bought a Wyvern mount (6,000 gp)

my challenge.

pimp my ride.

goal: turn Wyvern into Biological Fighter Bomber.

must haves:
"guns" - wands of things such as fireball and magic missle are acceptable
"bombs" - alchemists fire, orc shotput, whatever you can think of that will cause sufficient destruction upon impact.
"(neccessary) cool stuff" - things required to make this work (saddlebags of holding spring to mind)
"cool stuff" - anything else you can think of.

feel free to use any of the followin budgets.

Budget A - 6th level starting wealth - minus 6,000 for cost of mount.

Budget B - 6th level starting wealth, ignore cost of Wyvern

Budget C - 19,000 gold pieces - minus 6,000 for cost of wyvern.

Seerow
2011-08-04, 05:49 PM
Does the mount have to be bought with wealth rather than class features? This seems like the ideal place for a supermount build.

edit: Just reread the post and realized you're talking about a character you're already playing in game who just bought the mount, so a build focused around that doesn't work.

big teej
2011-08-04, 05:50 PM
Does the mount have to be bought with wealth rather than class features? This seems like the ideal place for a supermount build.

edit: Just reread the post and realized you're talking about a character you're already playing in game who just bought the mount, so a build focused around that doesn't work.

Budgets A and C require you to pay for the mount

Budget B ignores aquisition of the mount entirely, and focuses entirely on outfitting.

Shadow Lord
2011-08-04, 05:53 PM
If he really wanted to refocus around Mount, and if Psionics were in his game, then he could ask his DM if he could pay for a fully-augmented Psychic Reformation, with a little extra, so that he could rechoose his feats and skills, and if the DM is particularly lenient, he could repick his Class/PrC choices as well.

Then again, maybe not. Anyhoo, that's all the advice I have for you... right now.

big teej
2011-08-04, 05:59 PM
I'd like to re-emphasize something for those coming to this thread

we are EQUIPING said mount. in the spirit of a Organic-Fighter-Bomber

the character is irrelevant.

the mount's feats are already accounted for.

what is unaccounted for. (and this is where you come in)

is to equip this character/mount with various beats of equipment, for the goal of ultimate dakka and shooting and blowing things up.... and being an utter terror to landbound and/or forestdwelling foes.

or. put more simply.

the goal is moar dakka

Sarone
2011-08-04, 06:06 PM
Right off the top, you'll want defenses first. Nothing is going to help you if your mount get's blown out of the sky while you're on it. Not to mention the amount of suck you'll be facing when the beast hits the ground.

That being said, Rings of Protection/Bracers of armor will help in that regard. Barding can also help, but only if the cirtter can carry the weight. But that's right off the top of my head.

Wyntonian
2011-08-04, 06:07 PM
Flaming burst orc shotput sounds fun for bombs. You could use repeating crossbows or maybe wands of scorching ray as lazorz guns.

Alchemists fire is like the default bomb. Ooooh..... There's a bunch of Spell Compendium spells like downdraft, wingbind, etc that make your previously annoying airborne opponents into groundling target practice for your bombs. You could wand those up. Wands of web/tanglefoot bags could be used to hold ground targets in place. There's plenty of options with this.

big teej
2011-08-04, 06:16 PM
must.... acquire... spell compendium.

I find the idea of flaming shotputs amusing. but they only explode on a crit.

and that would only effect 1 square.

CARPET BOMBING!!! MWUAHAHAHAH

guided/accurate muntitions are all well and good if I need to be precise.

think like a PC people!

fire solves everything.

plan B is twice as much gunpowder as plan A

dig up the "carpet bombing gelatinous cube thread" lets blow some @#%% up! :smallbiggrin:

I may be slightly over enthusiastic about blowing things up due to residual narcotics flowing through my system.
got my teeth out this morning

Shadow Lord
2011-08-04, 06:18 PM
Try a few spell turrets, if you need some extra oomph. I think you can get those... I heard them mentioned somewhere this one time, anyway.

big teej
2011-08-04, 07:06 PM
while a glorious idea, I'm pretty sure you can't mount spell turrets on a living creature, nor on armor.

but if you could.... mount them on armor...

-visualizes playing the predator-

Kaeso
2011-08-04, 07:26 PM
:smallamused: Don't forget to put diamond rims on your wyvern. If you're going to pimp it, you might as well go all the way.

Crasical
2011-08-04, 07:35 PM
:smallamused: Don't forget to put diamond rims on your wyvern. If you're going to pimp it, you might as well go all the way.

Man, if you're going to go that far, just do this:

1. Find a Pimp of whatever race you wish to ride
2. Make a Knowledge: Local check. This will let you find out a 'single, useful fact' about the pimp. The fact you want to know is 'Is this pimp's Intelligence Score higher than 8? The Elite and Nonelite arrays both have an 8 in them, so even pimps of a race without an int penalty might have an 8 in that stat.
3. Repeat 2 until you find a Pimp that meets your qualifications
4. Cast Bestow Curse on him, giving him a -6 to his intelligence score. Pimp now has an int score of less than 3, making him nonsapient
6. Use Handle Animal to train him as a war mount.
7. Ride this pimp into battle. You now have a pimp you can ride as a mount, just like you wanted.

Greenish
2011-08-04, 07:39 PM
1. Find a Pimp of whatever race you wish to rideNow I'm torn between pimp Krusk and that dwarven Gatecrasher.

Crasical
2011-08-04, 07:43 PM
I'm fairly sure that deliberately mentally retarding a creature to the point where you rob it of higher thought just so you can ride around on something more interesting than a plebeian horse is an evil act though.

Greenish
2011-08-04, 07:59 PM
I'm fairly sure that deliberately mentally retarding a creature to the point where you rob it of higher thought just so you can ride around on something more interesting than a plebeian horse is an evil act though.Point 1. Making Knowledge checks isn't Evil.
Point 2. Bestow Curse is not an [Evil] spell.
Point 3. Using Handle Animal is not an Evil act.

Conclusion: it's not Evil.

Seerow
2011-08-04, 08:08 PM
Point 1. Making Knowledge checks isn't Evil.
Point 2. Bestow Curse is not an [Evil] spell.
Point 3. Using Handle Animal is not an Evil act.

Conclusion: it's not Evil.

Mechanically, no. But good luck convincing any GM of that.

HalfDragonCube
2011-08-04, 08:24 PM
Now I'm torn between pimp Krusk and that dwarven Gatecrasher.

Definitely the Gatecrasher:http://wizards.com/dnd/images/MotP/Gatecrasher.jpg

I'm fairly sure that deliberately mentally retarding a creature to the point where you rob it of higher thought just so you can ride around on something more interesting than a plebeian horse is an evil act though.

It's possible to do that? Next time my character casts buffs on the Fighter, there might be a few interesting side effects...

Crasical
2011-08-04, 08:54 PM
It's possible to do that? Next time my character casts buffs on the Fighter, there might be a few interesting side effects...

*shrugs* I have no idea. I think it is possible, but I haven't picked over the rules very closely to confirm it.

Greenish
2011-08-04, 09:29 PM
*shrugs* I have no idea. I think it is possible, but I haven't picked over the rules very closely to confirm it.Looks to work. Bestow Curse can reduce a stat to a minimum of 1, and intelligence isn't called out as an exception. Any creatures with 1-2 int can be trained and commanded with Handle Animal.

Just remember to do it early enough to have time to teach the fighter some tricks, otherwise you'll be wasting full round actions to control it.

big teej
2011-08-05, 03:21 AM
again, I'd like to point out the mount in question is a Wyvern.... and already has an intelligence of 6. :smalltongue:

Groverfield
2011-08-05, 03:29 AM
Ditherbombs = perfect for this, RoD...
Wyrm Ditherbomb (1000g) deals 1d6x1d8 acid 15' radius

HalfDragonCube
2011-08-05, 06:48 AM
again, I'd like to point out the mount in question is a Wyvern.... and already has an intelligence of 6. :smalltongue:

Sell the Wyvern, buy a scroll of Bestow Curse...

Anyway, why not get some sacks and fill them with acidic fire? Guaranteed to annoy any trolls any regenerating thingies anything.