PDA

View Full Version : Force Damage....?

MesiDoomstalker
2011-08-04, 07:43 PM
What is it? I know its probably the best damage type in the game only being immune/resisted by the uber Force Dragon, but what is it fluff wise?

I have my own personal theory, which has no explicit support, but at least somewhat makes sense given what force effects can do. My theory is that force damage/effects is pure kinetic energy distilled and solidified. If this is true, then when ever I use my Force Bow, I can shout "EAT PURE KINETIC ENERGY B$#%H!" but thats just me.

Any thoughts/official sources?

Eldariel
2011-08-04, 08:05 PM
What is it? I know its probably the best damage type in the game only being immune/resisted by the uber Force Dragon, but what is it fluff wise?

I have my own personal theory, which has no explicit support, but at least somewhat makes sense given what force effects can do. My theory is that force damage/effects is pure kinetic energy distilled and solidified. If this is true, then when ever I use my Force Bow, I can shout "EAT PURE KINETIC ENERGY B$#%H!" but thats just me.

Any thoughts/official sources?

Force-damage is basically pure energy. It's not energy of any type, just raw energy. It can even subsist in Anti-Magic Fields and be utterly unaffected by Dispel Magic, so it's not magical energy. It's clearly not energy of any type due to its nature, so the only clear answer is "energy".

Oh, and there's a spell called "Forceward" so the immunity isn't that impossible to acquire. Harder than most, though.

Urpriest
2011-08-04, 08:08 PM
It goes onto the ethereal plane, so it's not pure kinetic energy.

While this isn't gone into in any detail, I like to think of it as the Platonic Ideal of a boundary.

Zaq
2011-08-04, 08:09 PM
What, mass times acceleration isn't good enough for you?

Urpriest
2011-08-04, 08:14 PM
What, mass times acceleration isn't good enough for you?

It's hardly a fundamental part of the universe. Witness magnetic force.

Now a Hamiltonian Dragon....

Raimun
2011-08-04, 08:28 PM
It's that stuff Mega Man fires when he charges his blaster.

Pure energy was said, so...

Worira
2011-08-04, 08:44 PM
It's like hitting dudes with a stick, but more magic-like.

Shadowknight12
2011-08-04, 08:52 PM
Force is basically Plot.

Force damage? Plot damage. Wall of Force? Wall of Plot. Force dragon? Plot dragon. Forcewave? Plotwave. Forceward? Plotward. Why can it reach into the Ethereal Plane? Because it's a ForcePlot effect.

Seriously, just look up all the instances of force effects and you will find no unifying theme or characteristic beyond some vague, hazy similarity. And it does exactly what the plot wants it to do at any given time.

It's phlebotinum, guys.

Psyren
2011-08-04, 09:07 PM
I just think of it as Element Awesome. *bitchslaps a ghost*

Jack_Simth
2011-08-04, 09:10 PM
Force is basically Plot.

Force damage? Plot damage. Wall of Force? Wall of Plot. Force dragon? Plot dragon. Forcewave? Plotwave. Forceward? Plotward. Why can it reach into the Ethereal Plane? Because it's a ForcePlot effect.

Seriously, just look up all the instances of force effects and you will find no unifying theme or characteristic beyond some vague, hazy similarity. And it does exactly what the plot wants it to do at any given time.

It's phlebotinum, guys.
Nah. PC's don't get easy access to phlebotinum. Wizards, Sorcerers, and a few other casters can have Force at 1st level.

There's no real unifying theme, I'll grant you that. But all that means is that the game designers didn't really think it out too much.

Shadowknight12
2011-08-04, 09:13 PM
Nah. PC's don't get easy access to phlebotinum. Wizards, Sorcerers, and a few other casters can have Force at 1st level.

There's no real unifying theme, I'll grant you that. But all that means is that the game designers didn't really think it out too much.

You're joking, right? Do tell me you're joking. PCs are, in the immense majority of cases, protagonists. Must I really make a list of protagonists in other media whose sole reason for existence, whose very powers, whose every action, relies on phlebotinum from the start? Must I really?

NecroRick
2011-08-04, 10:10 PM
It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together

ericgrau
2011-08-04, 10:45 PM
Well a lot of things seem to be made out of it, so it seems like an indestructible solid energy, much like sci-fi force fields. But I don't think it's light laser/plasma guns or light sabers. Weaponized I think it's a bit of this force being hurled at the target; an unstoppable construct of pure energy slams into the target. So if we use the 2e fluff, magic missile might construct arrows out of pure energy then propel them to your opponent. Even 3e describes the missiles as "magical energy".

Groverfield
2011-08-05, 01:34 AM
It is constructed with magical spells, therefore it is magical.
It is only partially affected by dispelling and other abjurations, however due to the fact that most of it is made with abjuration and evocation.
Note that Magic Missile is the only force spell that hits a target no matter what, force orbs give reflex saves, and mages with force armor covering their entire body are still hittable, so it is not infallible.
From this, we can deduce that Magic Missile is magically aimed, and it's not the force damage itself that always strikes a target. It cannot pierce total cover, so it cannot penetrate walls (or maybe it can, and it's the targeting part of the spell that can't.)
...(rants for another half hour in the taxonomy of force effects)
It's like ectoplasm is the best I can come up with.

Ravens_cry
2011-08-05, 01:59 AM
It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together
It's Duct Tape?

Zaq
2011-08-05, 02:00 AM
It's Duct Tape?

Binding the galaxy together? Yeah, that's duct tape.

Surrounds us? Sure, if that's how you roll. oh ho ho did you see what I did there

Penetrates us? *shudder*

Groverfield
2011-08-05, 02:04 AM
Since when has a thread about force damage degraded to the industrious redneck's prophylactic?

ericgrau
2011-08-05, 05:59 AM
It's Duct Tape?
Nonono, see it also has a light side and a dark side and it will always be with you. Hmm, ok duct tape.

Reprimand
2011-08-05, 06:11 AM
Free energy? Pure and untainted? Yes? No? Maybe?

some guy
2011-08-05, 06:19 AM
Plot dragon.

Now I want to run a game with a plot dragon in it.

Cespenar
2011-08-05, 06:51 AM
Now I want to run a game with a plot dragon in it.

Most dragons are plot dragons anyway.

Eldariel
2011-08-05, 06:58 AM
Most dragons are plot dragons anyway.

Speaking of plot, where is it nowadays anyways? I saw it like few years ago and it was saying something about being wrecked by players and I haven't seen it ever since. Been wondering how it's doing nowadays.

Cespenar
2011-08-05, 07:10 AM
Speaking of plot, where is it nowadays anyways? I saw it like few years ago and it was saying something about being wrecked by players and I haven't seen it ever since. Been wondering how it's doing nowadays.

Oh, it's recovering. A plot alllllways comes back!