PDA

View Full Version : Build Help for Swordsage//Archivist

HunterOfJello
2011-08-04, 09:54 PM
I'm working up a Swordsage 11//Archivist 11 for a pnp group and am looking for some advice on how to set up the character's feats and am also looking on options for the character's future options.

I prefer optimized characters, but also enjoy characters that have lots of options in and out of combat. Fun is the highest commodity.

It's also worth noting that the group uses a few different house rules. We're running an Evil gestalt campaign where characters get new feats at odd levels, 2 flaws and 2 traits are allowed, and the Pathfinder versions of the core races are generally used as far as stats and basic traits go.

~

Elf Swordsage 11//Archivist 11 with:

1: Spontaneous Summoner (ECS)
Flaw Feat: Combat Reflexes
Flaw Feat: Collegiate Wizard (Archivist version)
3: Knowledge Devotion
5: Craven (waiting on DM approval for use while in Assassin's Stance)
7: Weapon Finesse
9: _____________
Archivist Bonus Feat: Craft Wondrous Items
11: _____________

Approved Stats (by the weird method we use to generate them by) are:
Str 9
Dex 19
Con 12
Int 19
Wis 19
Cha 8

The stats are adjustable and will all increase by 1 at level 12. If you really must know how they were done: They're a 40 point buy along with a PF Elf stat adjustments and the 4e method of increasing stats at levels 4, 8, and 12. That means +1 to two stats at 4th level, the same at 8th level, and +1 to every stat at 12th level, hence the large number of odd numbered stats.
~

I'm really not sure if I should change some of the feats around and which feats I should put in for the 9th and 11th levels. Here are a few which I had a general interest in or had recommended to me:

Summon Elemental (probably only worth getting at a lower level)
Elder Giant Magic (increasing buff lengths could be good)
Extend Spell (can work well for all sorts of different things and for getting into PrCs as a metamagic feat)
Scupt Spell (if I decide to get a different pre-req-less metamagic feat first)
EWP: Spiked Chain + Shadow Blade (this could actually be good now that I think about it, but not as huge a benefit as other feats could be)
Draconic Archivist could be useful, but I'm not sure if it works on Warforged or not. The number of dangerous constructs and dragons we're likely to meet in the future compared to other types of monsters also seems relatively low.

~

Finally, from what I've read I've only noticed a few great PrCs for Archivists after they've gotten to level 11. Loremaster looks good, but I haven't gotten many metamagic feats so far and would have to drop a feat to grab the neccessary Skill Focus feat. I've seen Paragnostic Apostle mentioned in several different places and like the idea behind the class, but none of their level 2-5 abilities really jump out at me. I may be reading them wrong and would appreciate if someone could explain they're awesomeness to me if I just happen to be missing it. Right now I'm strongly tempted to take 2 levels of Contemplative, but not as tempted to take them past level 2. Taking at least 1 level in the class could be a good way to get into Loremaster if I grab a Domain Ability with a metamagic feat like Extend. Taking a level in Contemplative on the Archivist side and a level of Wizard on the Swordsage side would be a quick way to get into Dweomerkeeper if I can convince my DM to allow it. That might be the best option, but it also may not be approved of.

~
In general I'm looking for an optimized, versatile, and fun character build that generally resembles what a Red Mage might look like in D&D. If anyone has any comments, suggestions, questions, or ideas about the build or anything involved with the character then I'd be happy to hear them.