PDA

View Full Version : PF & 3.X. How much do you mix?

Lastgrasp
2011-08-04, 10:02 PM
I played 3.0 when it first came and pretty much skipped 3.5 since I got out of gaming. Earlier this year I picked up Pathfinder and enjoy the system. Now I have slowly started to pick up 3.X material to check them out. Some of them are quite cool. I was wondering how much does everyone mix & match without getting the two system too funked up?

I don't have the system mastery that all you have or ever will have that much knowledge, but I'm curious what is pretty kosher to use in PF or vice versa.

Right now I use monsters from 3.X and do slight conversion up to PF. I know the builds are different but rule of them I drop them CR and add some hps to make up for power increase.

What's super easy material that converts to PF with little or no work? Like classes, prestige classes, etc. I've been reading the Magic of Incarnum book and it seems pretty cool. I was wondering how those classes would stack up against the PF ones.

I know PF moves away from Prestige class and goes more into archetype builds. Are there any 3.X ones that still appropriate to use? One that are not uber-powered and not so weak that are pointless.

I also picked up Frostburn, Sandstorm, and Dungeonscape. I'm loving reading through them and going to mine them for ideas. I have to find Stormwrack at a good price soon too.

BIGMamaSloth
2011-08-04, 10:14 PM
3.x to PF conversion most of the time is very easy. IMHO It tends to be pretty easy to convert unique sub systems like binder, incarnum as you mentioned and psionics (although I hear there's a 3rd party psionics book for pathfinder). This is because well, there sub systems and don't ave that much to change. This is just my personal opinion from converting stuff though, and I'm sure other people have found it to be the opposite.