PDA

View Full Version : hey let me know

rjhamel90
2011-08-04, 11:58 PM
hey everyone im Ryan and im new to Giant... but im not new to D&D let me know what you guys are doing in campaign. I would love to listen to stories and new builds. I am always interested in what ever you have to share so please respond, and we can chat about the game :)

Greenish
2011-08-05, 12:07 AM
Just fought 8 boosted chokers in an old and absurdly spacious aqueduct. Only their poor rolls stopped them from dragging our cleric down to their hidey-tunnel.

4 feet of water on the floor wouldn't have been so bad, except that my character is a gnome. :smalltongue:

Kilgorath
2011-08-05, 12:45 AM
Welcome to the playground!

As of last game session I'm now prohibited from creatively using shatter. Apparently the harpy's quiver was frowned upon to destroy when she was 50 feet above the party.

Groverfield
2011-08-05, 01:00 AM
Just fought 8 boosted chokers in an old and absurdly spacious aqueduct. Only their poor rolls stopped them from dragging our cleric down to their hidey-tunnel.

4 feet of water on the floor wouldn't have been so bad, except that my character is a gnome. :smalltongue:

Forsooth! Hear I the tales of a "That curs'd sewer level"?

Last campaign I was in... I had aspirations of making Greenstar Adept Duskblade, but the DM hasn't been in town much... so the last actual time we played... we were getting poor change for exp (15 to 45) for large grand battles that we had statistically extremely low chances to win, getting exhausted damn quick, but drastically screwed the WBL because we were earning gold at the proper rate, if not slightly excessive. Also, I found out from a DMPC we pissed off or perhaps a normal NPC that it's cool to have a suspicious looking camp in the middle of the forest with no guards to welcome visitors, as long as a deity is watching over you, nothing bad will happen.

NNescio
2011-08-05, 01:03 AM
Forsooth! Hear I the tales of a "That curs'd sewer level"?

Last campaign I was in... I had aspirations of making Greenstar Adept Duskblade, but the DM hasn't been in town much... so the last actual time we played... we were getting poor change for exp (15 to 45) for large grand battles that we had statistically extremely low chances to win, getting exhausted damn quick, but drastically screwed the WBL because we were earning gold at the proper rate, if not slightly excessive. Also, I found out from a DMPC we pissed off or perhaps a normal NPC that it's cool to have a suspicious looking camp in the middle of the forest with no guards to welcome visitors, as long as a deity is watching over you, nothing bad will happen.
Isn't the Green Star Adept a... um... particularly sucky PrC?

Groverfield
2011-08-05, 01:08 AM
Isn't the Green Star Adept a... um... particularly crappy PrC?

Yes. Yes it is for a wizard. When the tier list was made, the PHB2 wasn't recognized yet, and there were better options for gish builds, and with wizard casting being essential to the wizard part of a gish so the half casting was very ass. For melee builds that just use casting as a modifier, the loss of 5 casting levels isn't much, and the loss of 3 base attack is made up for with the +6 STR.

Greenish
2011-08-05, 01:08 AM
Isn't the Green Star Adept a... um... particularly sucky PrC?Not really, unless you're interested in such trifles as caster levels or con to hp.

Groverfield
2011-08-05, 01:10 AM
Not really, unless you're interested in such trifles as caster levels or con to hp.

Also note this is why I was going for it, I have a particularly crappy CON score on that character (I think about 6 or 7) so I'm going to be gaining HP when I do this.

Kol Korran
2011-08-05, 01:12 AM
the group i DM (in Eberron) just escaped the Mournland through a weird alternate "net plane" comprised out of memories of various personalities over Eberron, which partially took over the characters, making rapid mini encounters of the "who's line is it anyway" variety... was weird, but hillarious. they now emerged in Karrnath, at fort zombie, only... the travel took quite more time than they expected, and the villain's plan has gone quite underway. :smallbiggrin: (the complete log in my sig)

big teej
2011-08-05, 05:57 AM
hey everyone im Ryan and im new to Giant... but im not new to D&D let me know what you guys are doing in campaign. I would love to listen to stories and new builds. I am always interested in what ever you have to share so please respond, and we can chat about the game :)

lets see.... last session started off with a fight against a wyvern.

then we discovered I hadn't finished my dungeon (I thought I had!)

so they proceeded to a section that was complete, where they fought a layered battle of
6 ghouls
6 vagouilles
1 gauth (lesser beholder)

also present were a total of 12 automatons and 4 stone spikes (these did not participate until provoked)

the party easily slew the ghouls, flying screaming heads, and managed to slay the gauth.

then the cleric started throwing rocks at the automatons.... eventually throwing a rock large enough to register as a hostile action, causing all 16 of them to activate and attack the party.

the cleric, and her undead minions fled.
followed by the bard
who was in turn followed by the rogue
the fighter and the barbarian decided to stand and fight
"who knows, they might be weak!"

sadly, the hammerer-automatons 2d8+10 hits and the pulverizer's sonic cone begged to differ, and both were slain.

Wings of Peace
2011-08-05, 06:02 AM
Here's an optimized race configuration I made on another thread since you mentioned being curious to see some of the optimization we do. I'd also like to give a shout-out to Greenish on this one for correcting some errors I made initially with my numbers and names.

Race: Warforged Scout [MM III, pg. 193]

Templates: Amphibious [Sto 136], Arctic [DR #306, pg. 62], Dragonborn (Wings Aspect) [RDr, pg. 8], Half-Minotaur [DR #313, pg. 94], Half-Ogre [DR #313, pg. 95], Incarnate Construct [SS, pg. 121],

Type: Humanoid (Incarnate Construct) [MM I, pg. 310]

Subtype: Aquatic (Amphibious) [MM I, pg. 306], Dragonblood (Dragonborn) [RDr, pg. 4], Living Construct (Warforged Scout) [ECS, pg. 23]

Size: Large (Half-Minotaur + Half-Ogre)

Speed:

*Fly: 30 (Starting at level 6)
*Land: 40 (20 [Incarnate Construct] + 20 [H-Minotaur/H-Ogre])
*Swim: 20 (Amphibious, 1/2 land speed)

Abilities:

*Str: +18
(-2 [WF Scout], +4 [Half-Minotaur], +4 [Small->Medium], +4 [Half-Ogre], +8 [Medium->Large])
*Dex: -6
(+2 [WF Scout], -2 [Small-> Medium], -2 [Medium->Large], -2 [Amphibious], -2 [Dragonborn])
*Con: +12
(+2 [Half-Minotaur], +2 [Small->Medium], +4 [Medium->Large], +2 [Arctic], +2 [Dragonborn])
*Int: -4
(-2 [Half-Minotaur], -2 [Half-Ogre])
*Wis: -2
(-2 WF Scout,)
*Cha: -6
(-2 WF Scout, -2 [Half-Ogre], -2 [Arctic])

Level Adjustment: +0
(Half-Minotaur: +1, Half-Ogre +1, Incarnate Construct: -2)

Volthawk
2011-08-05, 06:07 AM
Here's an optimized race configuration I made on another thread since you mentioned being curious to see some of the optimization we do. I'd also like to give a shout-out to Greenish on this one for correcting some errors I made initially with my numbers and names.

Race: Warforged Scout [MM III, pg. 193]

Templates: Amphibious [Sto 136], Arctic [DR #306, pg. 62], Dragonborn (Wings Aspect) [RDr, pg. 8], Half-Minotaur [DR #313, pg. 94], Half-Ogre [DR #313, pg. 95], Incarnate Construct [SS, pg. 121],

Type: Humanoid (Incarnate Construct) [MM I, pg. 310]

Subtype: Aquatic (Amphibious) [MM I, pg. 306], Dragonblood (Dragonborn) [RDr, pg. 4], Living Construct (Warforged Scout) [ECS, pg. 23]

Size: Large (Half-Minotaur + Half-Ogre)

Speed:

*Fly: 30 (Starting at level 6)
*Land: 40 (20 [Incarnate Construct] + 20 [H-Minotaur/H-Ogre])
*Swim: 20 (Amphibious, 1/2 land speed)

Abilities:

*Str: +18
(-2 [WF Scout], +4 [Half-Minotaur], +4 [Small->Medium], +4 [Half-Ogre], +8 [Medium->Large])
*Dex: -6
(+2 [WF Scout], -2 [Small-> Medium], -2 [Medium->Large], -2 [Amphibious], -2 [Dragonborn])
*Con: +12
(+2 [Half-Minotaur], +2 [Small->Medium], +4 [Medium->Large], +2 [Arctic], +2 [Dragonborn])
*Int: -4
(-2 [Half-Minotaur], -2 [Half-Ogre])
*Wis: -2
(-2 WF Scout,)
*Cha: -6
(-2 WF Scout, -2 [Half-Ogre], -2 [Arctic])

Level Adjustment: +0
(Half-Minotaur: +1, Half-Ogre +1, Incarnate Construct: -2)

One thing I've got to say is that thing should fear ability damage. I mean, that's two stats taking a hefty penalty, and two more taking penalties that aren't as hefty. Something like Ego Whip would ruin your day (given how that build seems to be focused on melee, and melee tends to have low Will saves, even more so with the -2 Wis, and Ego Whip does Charisma damage even if you pass the save).

Wings of Peace
2011-08-05, 06:10 AM
One thing I've got to say is that thing should fear ability damage. I mean, that's two stats taking a hefty penalty, and two more taking penalties that aren't as hefty. Something like Ego Whip would ruin your day (given how that build seems to be focused on melee, and melee tends to have low Will saves, even more so with the -2 Wis).

Yeah, but we can divert the task of ability damage prevention to the build's class levels.

Volthawk
2011-08-05, 06:15 AM
Yeah, but we can divert the task of ability damage prevention to the build's class levels.

True. Hmm...how does that interact with Warforged Body feats (like Admantine Body)? I mean, its still a Warforged (the requirement), but it doesn't have any plating to enhance. If you can still take Admantine Body, then you can go into Warforged Juggernaut for construct immunities (plus charging/bull rushing stuff).

Wings of Peace
2011-08-05, 06:18 AM
True. Hmm...how does that interact with Warforged Body feats (like Admantine Body)? I mean, its still a Warforged (the requirement), but it doesn't have any plating to enhance. If you can still take Admantine Body, then you can go into Warforged Juggernaut for construct immunities (plus charging/bull rushing stuff).

You posted faster than my ninja edit so I'm posting it here. :smallsmile:

Warforged Juggernaut is probably the best solution mechanically and thematically without a lot of finangling.

RAW wise if the only requirement in the requirement entry is that I be a Warforged then I can still take Adamantine Body and become a Warforged Juggernaut.

If we wanted to be completely unfair we could also make this guy Troll-Blooded to net him significant amounts of damage immunity.

RP wise just right him off as some manner of prototype Warforged that was incredibly powerful but too expensive/dumb to produce in bulk.

Edit: Google searches indicate that the Pleasure Domain and some enhanced binding of Dalver should protect our Wisdom and Charisma as well. Intelligence is still vulnerable.

Cog
2011-08-05, 06:22 AM
If you can still take Admantine Body, then you can go into Warforged Juggernaut for construct immunities (plus charging/bull rushing stuff).
You can. The requirement is to be a warforged, not to have composite plating.

Wings of Peace
2011-08-05, 06:30 AM
If you went the Warforged Juggernaut route you could lead in with a level of Crusader and make unarmed strikes against yourself while in the Martial Spirit stance for healing. Your Warforged immunities would nullify the non-lethal damage that your unarmed strikes would normally be dealing to you. :smallsmile:

Greenish
2011-08-05, 06:37 AM
If you went the Warforged Juggernaut route you could lead in with a level of Crusader and make unarmed strikes against yourself while in the Martial Spirit stance for healing. Your Warforged immunities would nullify the non-lethal damage that your unarmed strikes would normally be dealing to you. :smallsmile:Warforged aren't immune to non-lethal, at least until juggernaut 2.

Also, fitting Dungeoncrasher II would be nice.

Wings of Peace
2011-08-05, 06:40 AM
Warforged aren't immune to non-lethal, at least until juggernaut 2.

Also, fitting Dungeoncrasher II would be nice.

Dungeon Crasher would be pretty sweet. If we're in a rush for the healing the Warforged could take Improved Resiliency. I always forget they don't get the immunity naturally.

Greenish
2011-08-05, 06:48 AM
Dungeon Crasher would be pretty sweet. If we're in a rush for the healing the Warforged could take Improved Resiliency. I always forget they don't get the immunity naturally.-2 Wis isn't that bad, especially when you don't have to put much points on str or con - you could pull off ardent or psywarr, pick up psionic repairs.

Tash could work, too. Grappling and natural attacks both like sizing up, and you've got that.

marcielle
2011-08-05, 08:31 AM
Quite a while ago, but I rode an assault tree down about 50 feet into a Kraken and proceeded to punch the Kraken who couldn't submerge because the boat we were travelling on was too large.
Our sorceror spammed rod of wonders until we ended up fighting a BLUE LOUNGE RHINO in the middle of a storm of butterflies and jewels. The inn we were fighting in was recently hit by a stinking cloud so luckily there were no witnesses. UNLUCKILY, the local guard emplyoyed wizards with detect magic.
Our warlock killed an entire shipsworth of people for gold. Nothing spectacular. However, he also managed to EXPLODINATE the ship. Resulting in all but the cleric swimming back to shore. The cleric was wearing heavy armor and had to be saved by DM fiat( I basically consider this as he died but since it was someone else's fault, he didn't have to pay the cost)