PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing Healer

ExemplarofAvg
2011-08-05, 12:32 AM
I've recently acquired the Miniatures Handbook (yay clearance bin sale) after reading through it I didn't like the marshall, so I altered it, gave it the ability to use more than one aura at a time so that at level 20 it can use 2 major and 3 minor and the minor now works off of half level plus charismas and the major works off of just charisma then I bumped it's hit die up one and specified some skills and gave it gather information (important for a leader), but that's not why I'm here my group liked my work fixing the marshal, no one's playing one but they like it more than the original, so now I'm moving on to the next class in the book that hasn't seen a reprint yet. The Healer, what can I say about it, it heals, oh and it gets a unicorn, woot.

So I've been thinking about it and here's what I've decided to do with the healer for my group, let me know what you think, much of it is the same.

Healer
d8 hp (Understandable, it's not hardcore front line)
Poor Bab (See above, thought about mid but no)
4+Int skills, (Not bad, I like that amount on skills)
Skill List, meh, Handle Animal and Knowledge Nature, I don't really get.
Good Fort and Will (You go be tough, for what you see and what you do)
Poor Ref (Well be quick about it, thought about making it perfect)
Simple Weapons and Light Armor (Gotcha, need room for the med pack)
Shields and nothing metal.... Umm, not understanding (someone explain)
Spells, hey that's cool, the whole wisdom to prepare and charisma for strength will probably end up one way or the other. Add Mass Heal
Healing Hands, I like it take a feat and have your charisma plus two added to your healing.
No Skill Focus, maybe bonus to Heal Check equal to half level or something.
Cleanse, the only change I've really made you first get it at second level and gain a new use per day every second level but what you can cleanse becomes a bigger list, starting with simple stuff like Paralysis then moving to stuff like fear and then finally Rock be Gone, and New Life and Limb (Thinking about Cure spells being able to be tossed in here, like cast the highest level cure spell you know or cure, mass)

Unicorn Companion..... I don't see much reason but don't know what to replace it with, but it's strong so I'm not relly complaining.

Any ideas you guys have, I love the concept of the class where in some groups you play as a cleric and expect to be the heal monkey, well you are a healmonkey with this. Any things you may have added to fix it (Not looking for a use x class instead because it is better for y reasons, where x equals namely cleric, crusdaer, favored soul, paladin, factotum) Just ideas on building this out and giving the healer skeleton flesh (and maybe turn undead)

Healer
d8 HP
Poor Bab
Perfect Fort and Will
Simple Weapon and Light Armor Proficiencies.
Spells: Able to spontaneously cast spells from their list. Will check out spell compendium.
Healing Hands
Cleansing Touch 1/2 level Per day able to cleanse various affects (and/or scenario where it cleanses all of the affects or just the specified ailment. Later includes New Life and Limb, maybe.
Effortless Healing, No AoO's is a wonderful thing.
Unicorn Companion, can't argue after further reading it is very nice.

HalfDragonCube
2011-08-05, 12:37 AM
Of course, the quick healer fix is to give it casting like a Beguiler, they know all of the spells on their list and can cast spontaneously.

Groverfield
2011-08-05, 12:39 AM
That healer class is best for an NPC, if all of the players want to be some facet of Arcane Caster or Physical, and you don't want to TPK, and you don't want to give them a free cleric or druid to avoid that NPC being in the spotlight, or have the players whine that you're not playing their ally to its full potential.

Greenish
2011-08-05, 12:43 AM
Unicorn Companion..... I don't see much reason but don't know what to replace it with, Thought.Unicorn Companion is the healer's strongest class feature, and the only one consistently useful in combat.

Well, not counting sanctified spells.

TOZ
2011-08-05, 12:48 AM
I've used the Healer as a DMPC in my games, with the only fix being to make it spontaneously cast from the entire Healer spell list, as mentioned already.

The only time it ever had a chance to outshine the party was against a dracolich, being able to repeatedly hit undead with Heal.

The only thing going for it is the avoidance of AoOs while casting and adding Cha to healing, and maybe some of the 1/day abilities. I found that you can pretty much replicate the Healer class with the Favored Soul and have a completely better base to build from.

NNescio
2011-08-05, 01:00 AM
Unicorn Companion is the healer's strongest class feature, and the only one consistently useful in combat.

Also Gate, but that only comes into play at Level 17 and is probably not so consistent due to the inevitable hurled DMG when used such.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-08-05, 01:02 AM
Of course, the quick healer fix is to give it casting like a Beguiler, they know all of the spells on their list and can cast spontaneously.

Sometimes the best fixes are so obvious they are overlooked, and I mean way overlooked.

Unicorn Companion is the healer's strongest class feature, and the only one consistently useful in combat.

I just re-read the Unicorn stuff and ammended my earlier statement.

gorfnab
2011-08-05, 02:57 AM
The Healer's Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6849.0)

Morph Bark
2011-08-05, 04:55 AM

I do that, give them two Cleric domains and Turn Undead, and do away with Clerics.

vampire2948
2011-08-05, 07:55 AM
There're a lot of 'revised healer spell lists' kickin' about the internet. With the purpose of making them better at preventing damage rather than just removing it once it has already happened. And making them more useful out of combat.

Username_too_lo
2011-08-05, 08:47 AM
When my Druid was able to summon 1d4 +1 unicorns six times a day, the rest of the party just lay down on the grass and watched the birds in the sky. Magic Circle against Evil, Curing like a Ham, it got so the DM had to find lots of tight spaces for us to fight in just so as I didn't fill the damn board with unicorns.

unicorns do, indeed, rock; and they're one of the few summonable creatures that talk Common.

"So, what's the Celestial Plane like, then."
"Er, 'sokay. Look, you want me to kill something or defend someone or whatever?"
"Nah, you're all right - there's three of them already whaling on that party of Orcs. Probably just get in the way."
"Okay. Hey, how's that Magic Circle against Evil working for you?"
"I feel all toasty."