PDA

View Full Version : modifying magic items

Laniius
2011-08-05, 02:25 AM
Say I have an amulet of health. How much would it cost to change it so it also increased wisdom as well as constitution? Or is that even possible? I would like both the periapt of wisdom and amulet of health for this character.

Groverfield
2011-08-05, 02:38 AM
"Double most expensive effect's price." I'm not sure if this means that it will be triple or just double, but you won't have to multiply the items base cost by 1.5, because both CON and WIS fit an amulet's enchantment type by body slot.

If you want to know more, read DMG 282

Greenish
2011-08-05, 02:48 AM
Cost of Amulet of Health + Cost of Periapt of Wisdom = Cost of Necklace that does both.

Hence, the cost to upgrade an Amulet of Health to Necklace that does both is:

Cost of Necklace that does both - Cost of Amulet of Health = Cost of Periapt of Wisdom.

See MIC 233-234.

Groverfield
2011-08-05, 03:24 AM
Not sure most DMs would allow it as written in the MIC, as that essentially means that magic item slots are infinite, as everything can just be crafted onto your +1 lingerie... and not I finally understand the naughty nightwear quest in Fallout 3...

HunterOfJello
2011-08-05, 03:44 AM
Depends on DM discretion.

The normal MiC formula would take the price of the higher value magical effect x 1.5 added to the value of the lower value magical effect. Thus an Amulet of +2 Wisdom and +2 Constitution would be 10,000 gp. This is because (4000 x 1.5) + 4000 = 10000gp.

However, the MiC gives a second method of adding common item effects to existing items. That section was developed because, "one of the most frustrating roadblocks to using interesting, unusual magic items is that they take up body slots that you need for an ability-boosting item." The section does not prohibit you from adding Constitution to a Wisdom enhancing item, but was obviously not intended for those purposes. It was developed so that players could walk around sporting their cool new Cape of Turning-into-a-Freaking-Bat while also gaining the benefit of +3 resistance bonus to saving throws. Players were wearing ability enhancing items instead of cool items too often so they made those new rules up for them. They weren't created so that people could stack the common bonuses onto them. This is plainly obvious by the introductory text and examples.

Page 282 of the DMG has a section on putting multiple effects on magical items that you create and follows the +50% price rule specifically for a, "Belt of Strength +4 and Dexterity +4". However, DMG rules are obviously overridden by MiC rules for magical items.

~

For simplicities sake, I might add Constitution to your Torso or Waist slot and Wisdom to your Amulet (throat slot) to save money and possible headaches.

Thiyr
2011-08-05, 03:56 AM
Not sure most DMs would allow it as written in the MIC, as that essentially means that magic item slots are infinite, as everything can just be crafted onto your +1 lingerie... and not I finally understand the naughty nightwear quest in Fallout 3...

Not quite true. The MIC bit is specifically limited to a short list of standard magic item effects, tied to specific body slots. Instead of the +1 Negligee of Everything, it's more like "Cloak of the Resistant Manta Ray +3" or "Bracers of Armored Archery +5", or "Belt of Constituent Battle +6". Wait. Constituent Battle wouldn't be quite right. Amusing as a belt, but not quite right.

DM12
2011-08-05, 04:54 AM
"Double most expensive effect's price." I'm not sure if this means that it will be triple or just double, but you won't have to multiply the items base cost by 1.5, because both CON and WIS fit an amulet's enchantment type by body slot.

If you want to know more, read DMG 282

Actually it still would cost 1.5 because you are adding a new ability to the magical item but each addition would only cost 1.5 times as much instead of 3 times as much if it were both not a body slot with the affinity and adding a new ability

Laniius
2011-08-05, 12:49 PM
Thanks! I realized I have no body slot items, so I'm going to modify the amulet of health into a body slot item, and just wear the periapt.

ericgrau
2011-08-05, 01:10 PM
Your neck is the body slot that both items go in. By the SRD it's +50% to the cost of the second effect. By MIC the second effect has no increase in cost, because it's an ability score increase. One of those two, depending on what the DM allows.

By the first option, +2 to each would be 4000 + 6000 = 10,000 gp and it takes the neck slot.
By the second option, +2 to each would be 4000 + 4000 = 8,000 gp and it also takes the neck slot. But MIC would also let you add a single effect that is not an ability score increase to the neck slot.