PDA

View Full Version : knight of the raven

Bloodymango
2011-08-05, 10:34 AM
i will thinking about taking 10 levels of this PrC was just wondering what every 1 thought of knight of the raven. what roles do you think it could play in a 3.5 campaign

Keld Denar
2011-08-05, 10:42 AM
Its a pretty awesome Cleric PrC. The only reason you don't see it mentioned more often is because its in a rather obscure source. Most people don't have EtCR. It has pretty much anything you'd want in a melee PrC for a Cleric, and loses very little.

Fax Celestis
2011-08-05, 11:02 AM
Hilariously, despite its entry and progression seemingly geared towards a paladin-base, it's actually better for a cleric or archivist to go into (or druid, if you don't mind missing wildshape).

sreservoir
2011-08-05, 11:17 AM
Hilariously, despite its entry and progression seemingly geared towards a paladin-base, it's actually better for a cleric or archivist to go into (or druid, if you don't mind missing wildshape).

isn't just about everything better for clerics than paladins when they qualify?

Fax Celestis
2011-08-05, 12:26 PM
When they qualify. Having a prerequisite of "Smite Evil x/day" has locked many a cleric out of a PrC.

Person_Man
2011-08-05, 01:03 PM
When they qualify. Having a prerequisite of "Smite Evil x/day" has locked many a cleric out of a PrC.

Clerics can gain access to Smite Evil with 1 feat - Initiate of Bahamut from Dragon Magic.

Crow
2011-08-05, 01:52 PM
What book is this from? What is EtCR?

Amphetryon
2011-08-05, 01:59 PM
What book is this from? What is EtCR?

Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

Unseenmal
2011-08-05, 02:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prestige_classes

It's pretty good list of all the prestige classes and which books to find them in. I thought it was handy.

FMArthur
2011-08-05, 02:04 PM
I actually hear about material from EtCR with a relatively high frequency, but I don't have it on my book collections, physical or otherwise. What exactly is the book? Is it a module?

Kobold-Bard
2011-08-05, 02:07 PM
I actually hear about material from EtCR with a relatively high frequency, but I don't have it on my book collections, physical or otherwise. What exactly is the book? Is it a module?

"A Campaign Adventure For Characters of Levels 6-10".

Greenish
2011-08-05, 02:28 PM
Aside from the fluff requirement, it's very easy to enter, only loses one level of casting, has good chassis and actual class features (the titular raven is cool) and can give any divine caster access to turning to fuel DMM.

There are more powerful PrCs, but I give it two thumbs up.

Bloodymango
2011-08-05, 05:16 PM
besides the stuff in ToB please name some strong PrC for divine characters with good spell progression and at least cleric bab to match KotR

Greenish
2011-08-05, 05:25 PM
besides the stuff in ToB please name some strong PrC for divine characters with good spell progression and at least cleric bab to match KotRFist of Raziel is 9/10 full BAB. Windwalker is 10/10 full BAB, though tricky to enter. Radiant Servant of Pelor is 10/10 full progression and works pretty neat in combination.

Yorrin
2011-08-05, 05:30 PM
Fist of Raziel is 9/10 full BAB. Windwalker is 10/10 full BAB, though tricky to enter. Radiant Servant of Pelor is 10/10 full progression and works pretty neat in combination.

Don't forget also Bone Knight from 5N.
9/10 casting and some very flavorful class features. The prereqs are kinda weird if you're entering with Cleric, as opposed to Paladin which it is presumably aimed at. But quite doable.

Honorable mention to Walker in the Waste- my favorite PrC in the game. It doesn't have the BAB you're looking for, but you get an at-will touch attack that does decent damage, so you don't really need a good BAB.

Greenish
2011-08-05, 05:32 PM
Don't forget also Bone Knight from 5N.I left it out since it doesn't really work with Knight of the Raven, one being a PrC for fighting the undead and the other for fighting with the undead.

But yeah, it's a very neat PrC too. Could stand to become full BAB, for paladins' sake.

Wings of Peace
2011-08-05, 05:37 PM
Fist of Raziel is 9/10 full BAB. Windwalker is 10/10 full BAB, though tricky to enter. Radiant Servant of Pelor is 10/10 full progression and works pretty neat in combination.

<3 Windwalker.

Yorrin
2011-08-05, 05:42 PM
<3 Windwalker.

I discovered this one a couple weeks ago, and I must say I feel the same way :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2011-08-05, 06:00 PM
Church Inquisitor and Sacred Exorcist are both full casting, 3/4 BAB, d8 HD PrCs for Clerics with some great abilities. I like Church Inqusitor up to 6 for some really neat abilities. The best is the ability to see through illusions without interacting with them. Just look, interpret, yawn, and move on with life. Makes gnomes cry!

Thurbane
2011-08-05, 07:47 PM
I love the KotR PrC...it's a shame the way the module is written, the PCs will only get to take two or three levels by the time the adventure is done. The Paladin I DMd for went into it...

Aside from the nice 9/10 casting and full BAB, I love the Raven Harrier you get. It's kind of like a familiar, but with the added benefit that if it dies, you don't take any penalties, and it reappears, good as new, next morning.

I also love ravens and crows as animals IRL, so that colors my opinion of this class more than a little. I was once trying to build a Sorcerer/Cleric/KotR/MT that took the binding feats so he could have a Raven familiar, Raven harrier and summon Ravens using Malphas's abilities. :smalltongue:

Bloodymango
2011-08-05, 08:31 PM
what is windwalker out of

NM i have found it and yes those are very steep pre recs

LaughingRogue
2011-08-05, 08:34 PM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/prc

Faiths and Pantheons

MeeposFire
2011-08-05, 09:45 PM
I like spirit shaman for knight of the raven.

Greenish
2011-08-05, 09:48 PM
I like spirit shaman for knight of the raven.Yeah, that's a ghostbuster.

Luckmann
2011-08-06, 06:02 AM
I left it out since it doesn't really work with Knight of the Raven, one being a PrC for fighting the undead and the other for fighting with the undead.

But yeah, it's a very neat PrC too. Could stand to become full BAB, for paladins' sake.On the other hand, that's mostly a fluff issue. I wouldn't mind a character that both controls and beat down undead like it's nobody's business. :smalltongue:

LaughingRogue
2011-08-06, 06:15 AM
You should just play a blackguard...

Greenish
2011-08-06, 07:27 AM
On the other hand, that's mostly a fluff issue. I wouldn't mind a character that both controls and beat down undead like it's nobody's business. :smalltongue:Sun Domain's granted power would be wasted though, if most of the undead at hand were your allies. :smalltongue:

[Edit]: Not that you could use greater turning anyhow, since Bone Knight prevents you from using TU.

You should just play a blackguard...Huh? Who should play blackguard and why?

Bloodymango
2011-08-06, 11:04 AM
Yay Blackguard

BiblioRook
2011-08-06, 05:43 PM
Never saw this class before, but I like it. Looks like it would be pretty good for Rangers too (not saying that Rangers would be more optimal, iut's just a class I like to play)

I always did want a pet raven that could actually do something

Bloodymango
2011-08-06, 06:10 PM
i would agree, i think it kinda fits with rangers that want a holy feel

sreservoir
2011-08-06, 07:47 PM
incidentally, kotr can be entered immediately after 4, albeit only for mystic rangers (DM 336). although since mystic rangers are something like lightning warrior lite for the first ten levels, never mind.

BiblioRook
2011-08-06, 09:04 PM
No, regular Rangers should be able to get into KotR after level 4 too, provided they have enough Wisdom for bonus spells.

sreservoir
2011-08-06, 09:16 PM
oh, right, I forgot ranger and paladin were 1-4 and not 0-4. yeah, paladin qualifies at 4, too.

gorfnab
2011-08-06, 11:37 PM
Mystic Ranger 4/ Knight of the Raven 4/ Crusader 2/ Ruby Knight Vindicator 10.
Full BAB and 5th level spells, not to shabby.

Fax Celestis
2011-08-06, 11:54 PM
What about Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Knight of the Raven 5/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10?

Greenish
2011-08-07, 05:51 AM
What about Cleric 4/Crusader 1/Knight of the Raven 5/Ruby Knight Vindicator 10?I'm not sure KotR is so great there. If you're going RKV, you probably want in as soon as you can, and KotR's strong point is 10 levels of full BAB while only losing one level of casting.

RKV and KotR are some of my favourite PrCs, though, and you'd still have decent casting (but no 9ths), nearly full BAB and well, Windicator.

Murmaider
2011-08-07, 06:53 AM
Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 1/Ordained Champion 5/Knight of the Raven 10 sounds like fun to me.

nearly full BAB, level 9 spells at 20, 5 domains and str as a dump stat when your game starts atleast at level 10.

Plus, this guy would hate undead churchinfiltrators of Hextor so much:smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2011-08-07, 04:17 PM
I left it out since it doesn't really work with Knight of the Raven, one being a PrC for fighting the undead and the other for fighting with the undead.

But yeah, it's a very neat PrC too. Could stand to become full BAB, for paladins' sake.

Best Combination Ever. If you can get Bone Knight retooled to deathless (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9994058&postcount=14), that is.

Never saw this class before, but I like it. Looks like it would be pretty good for Rangers too (not saying that Rangers would be more optimal, iut's just a class I like to play)

I always did want a pet raven that could actually do something

In our currently on hiatus game of Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, our Ranger really wants to become one after meeting Sir Urik, and is getting increasingly annoyed the more levels that he has to take in Ranger before we'll finally go to the castle in order to stand the vigil, as he already qualified for the PrC otherwise & dinged from the encounter that introduces the party to Sir Urik.

Renen
2014-11-24, 09:37 PM
Id say... quite the necro