PDA

View Full Version : Fun with PaO

Leon
2011-08-05, 10:39 AM
Fun/Interesting/Weird Things you have done with Polymorph Any Object.

We had a Necromancer join the group tonight in time to fight some giants and he managed to Animate one of them to be his servant and then we had to go through a Portal to the Plane of Limbo and a Huge Giant was not going to fir through so the Bard happened to have a Scroll of a PaO and a good UMD use later the Zombie was a Hat for an hour.

Proved to be very useful in the escape from Limbo - Carried several of the women we were rescuing, my Cleric sat on it to change out some spells, carried/dragged several of the party how were under the effect of limbo.
Unfortunately we had to leave it there and as the Wizard was not himself when we left it is still walking across the endless wastes of Limbo (followed by a trail of Denizens no doubt)

So what have you done with PaO?

EternalMelon
2011-08-05, 11:06 AM
In b4 beholders and sandwiches.

graeylin
2011-08-05, 01:17 PM
changed a wooden palisade on a fort wall into an elemental. Bad guys immediately hurt the elemental, so he attacked them.

In a round, I breached a wall (by removing the palisade) so we could get inside without climbing, inadvertently created an ally (he might have helped us anyway, but after being instantly attacked, he absolutely was), and got half of the BBEG's to use their attacks for the round on something that wasn't in our party HP total.

not bad.

NNescio
2011-08-05, 01:19 PM
Fun/Interesting/Weird Things you have done with Polymorph Any Object.

We had a Necromancer join the group tonight in time to fight some giants and he managed to Animate one of them to be his servant and then we had to go through a Portal to the Plane of Limbo and a Huge Giant was not going to fir through so the Bard happened to have a Scroll of a PaO and a good UMD use later the Zombie was a Hat for an hour.

Proved to be very useful in the escape from Limbo - Carried several of the women we were rescuing, my Cleric sat on it to change out some spells, carried/dragged several of the party how were under the effect of limbo.
Unfortunately we had to leave it there and as the Wizard was not himself when we left it is still walking across the endless wastes of Limbo (followed by a trail of Denizens no doubt)

So what have you done with PaO?

Immortal NPC who spontaneously dies in an AMF.

Yukitsu
2011-08-05, 01:49 PM
True creation a corpse, polymorph any object it into a living version of itself, kill it, dispel polymorph any object, raise dead. You've just created life! Congratulations.

My second favourite trick, just after the reverse solopsist.

flabort
2011-08-05, 02:06 PM
True creation a corpse, polymorph any object it into a living version of itself, kill it, dispel polymorph any object, raise dead. You've just created life! Congratulations.

My second favourite trick, just after the reverse solopsist.

That seems a bit complex.... Care to explain why all those steps are necessary?

Ksheep
2011-08-05, 02:16 PM
PaO a bunch of cows into stones. Build a castle out of these cow-stones (make a single spire out of normal stone for you to hide in for later). Create a chain dispel magic trap just inside the main door to your chambers/treasury/throne room… set to dispel the PaO on all the stones. Have hidden doors into each of these rooms so you don't set it off. Now, when the adventurers come calling, there's a good chance they'll get caught in a rain of cows. How much damage do falling cows do?

Yukitsu
2011-08-05, 02:36 PM
That seems a bit complex.... Care to explain why all those steps are necessary?

You can't really create a living being via true creation.

Raise dead and variants may or may not have an effect on a corpse that had never died (depending on the definitions used. My general interpretation is that one must have been alive at some material time to be considered deceased.) Even if it did, the corpse lacks a soul.

Polymorph any object can be used to make a corpse of a person into a living being identical to the corpse sans the dead part. (as a level 1 with a single racial hit die.)

A polymorph any objected corpse turned living being is a legitimate target for any soul harming, trapping, containing, imprisoning or bolstering spell effect, meaning they have a soul or analogue which is construed as identical for the purpose of the rules while they alive due to the effects of polymorph any object.

If you kill them and raise dead them without dismissing the polymorph, they may simply revert to their polymorphable self, which means a dispel will turn them into a corpse (possibly, depending on one's point of view, without killing them.)

After dismissing the polymorph any object, they are no longer under the influence of any removable spell, and are now a viable candidate for raise dead, and have an analogue or actual soul.

flabort
2011-08-05, 03:58 PM
Cool. makes sense now. Would it be possible to True Creation a Tarrasque corpse? Or the corpse of any unique or non-existent creature?

Maybe a better question is, would you want to, though? I would.

Yukitsu
2011-08-05, 04:22 PM
Cool. makes sense now. Would it be possible to True Creation a Tarrasque corpse? Or the corpse of any unique or non-existent creature?

Maybe a better question is, would you want to, though? I would.

Yes with some caveats: 1, a terrasque or unique creature will cost you a ton of EXP to true create as they have really expensive corpses. 2: You can't polymorph it into its own living version.

On the upside, this can be done to make "Bill the Terrasque" where you end up with a relatively normal guy in a terrasque body. Or a kitten.

The non-existant would be less likely to work, simply because you'll probably get some fundamental biology wrong.

Leon
2011-08-06, 06:33 AM
Well i was hoping for more have actually done and less would be interesting to do.

Hanuman
2011-08-06, 09:18 AM
PaO a bunch of cows into stones. Build a castle out of these cow-stones (make a single spire out of normal stone for you to hide in for later). Create a chain dispel magic trap just inside the main door to your chambers/treasury/throne room… set to dispel the PaO on all the stones. Have hidden doors into each of these rooms so you don't set it off. Now, when the adventurers come calling, there's a good chance they'll get caught in a rain of cows. How much damage do falling cows do?
Not as much as stones.

Personally I'd use it on monsters and turn them into crystals roughly the size of salt grains so only I could tell them apart, then store them all in a vial. That would be a pretty nice AMF penetrating splash weapon.

For safe keeping I'd store inside a bag of holding, which would protect them from AMF automatically.