PDA

View Full Version : To Pounce or not to pounce?

Morbis Meh
2011-08-05, 11:37 AM
Hello Playgrounders,

In a campaign I am currently playing in I am a raptoran Warblade (6 levels) and due to an interesting history with my DM we're playing in the star war's universe following the KOTOR II plot line. Now, the other night he said he could totally see my character flying in with 4 lightsabers and cutting everything to bits. I asked him if he would actually allow this and he said he totally would. So I looked it up and asked if I could take multiweapon fighting and multidexterity and he ok'd that as well. So at the moment I have a Warblade Uber charger with power attack, leap attack (he let me qualify for this early due to my race), shock trooper, improved bull rush, improved sunder (for combat brute) and a couple other feats. Now for the next level I was considering taking a level of barbarian so I could pick up pounce and rage. Would you recommend this? I know that people will say take it at an even level but my DM will be allowing us to enter into Jedi Prestige Classes at level 8 and I want to do so at the earliest possible time. So should I go down this multiweapon wielding route or just stick with the extra level of warblade and continue uber charging?

Urpriest
2011-08-05, 12:02 PM
Where are you getting the extra arms, just wondering? Also, Multidexterity got eliminated along with Ambidexterity in the transition to 3.5.

Edit: Also, more Warblade levels later will give you Pouncing Charge.

ImperatorK
2011-08-05, 12:05 PM
Where are you getting the extra arms, just wondering?
Two sabers in two hands and two in two... talons, perhaps?

Person_Man
2011-08-05, 12:59 PM
Now for the next level I was considering taking a level of barbarian so I could pick up pounce and rage. Would you recommend this?

No.

My reasons:

Warblades have easy access to Pounce and Free Movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358), via the Sudden Leap, White Raven Tactic, Pouncing Charge, Press the Advantage, and Desert Tempest maneuvers/stances, plus affordable magic items like the Belt of Battle and Psicrown of the Evader.
You have plenty of bonus damage available via your maneuvers.
Many of your best maneuvers are not Charge attacks. Since Shock Trooper is only triggered by Charge, there's really not much of a reason for you to invest in it and the Improved Bull Rush pre-req.
You'd be giving up a level of maneuver/stance and Warblade class ability progression.
Rage prevents you from using Concentration, which is required for some of your best maneuvers.

Urpriest
2011-08-05, 02:13 PM
No.

My reasons:

Warblades have easy access to Pounce and Free Movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358), via the Sudden Leap, White Raven Tactic, Pouncing Charge, Press the Advantage, and Desert Tempest maneuvers/stances, plus affordable magic items like the Belt of Battle and Psicrown of the Evader.
You have plenty of bonus damage available via your maneuvers.
Many of your best maneuvers are not Charge attacks. Since Shock Trooper is only triggered by Charge, there's really not much of a reason for you to invest in it and the Improved Bull Rush pre-req.
You'd be giving up a level of maneuver/stance and Warblade class ability progression.
Rage prevents you from using Concentration, which is required for some of your best maneuvers.

You may be missing the fact that this character will only be a warblade up until level 8. Much of the advice is still good however.

Prime32
2011-08-05, 02:27 PM
You may be missing the fact that this character will only be a warblade up until level 8. Much of the advice is still good however.After level 8 they'll still be a warblade, they'll just be other stuff too. :smalltongue: And your maneuvers still advance if you take levels in another class, so they will in fact be more of a warblade afterwards.

Is your DM allowing lightsabers to count as Tiger Claw weapons?

Morbis Meh
2011-08-05, 03:58 PM
Thank you for the advise, now to address your questions:

My reasons:

Warblades have easy access to Pounce and Free Movement, via the Sudden Leap, White Raven Tactic, Pouncing Charge, Press the Advantage, and Desert Tempest maneuvers/stances
I mentioned earlier that a 8th level I will be entering a Jedi (Most likely Grey Jedi) Prestige Class so that means no pouncing charge or press the advantage (level 5 maneuver).

plus affordable magic items like the Belt of Battle and Psicrown of the Evader.
As for the belt of battle as so forth I no longer have access to any of those items since I am in the Star Wars Universe so any magic items from MIC or DMG are out of question and I started at level 5 and did not have sufficient coin to buy them before hand.

Also, none of the maneuvers I chose require a concentration check anyway so that is a moot point.

Giving up one level of maneuver progression will not hurt me any since once I hit my PrC I will be using force powers and such. I know shock trooper runs off of charge and it is great for a battle opener while the maneuvers/force powers are great for being surrounded or threatened.

Is your DM allowing lightsabers to count as Tiger Claw weapons?
I do not know I can ask.

As for my amount of arms, my dm will allow me to use my talons for that requirement.

Just to be clear for others who will be reading I will not be taking more levels of Warblade once I become a Jedi (which will happen upon reaching level 8) so it is a moot point to tell me about learning Pouncing Charge and Press the Advantage.

Greenish
2011-08-05, 04:58 PM
Would you recommend this?Do you need that much damage? I usually don't.

Morbis Meh
2011-08-05, 05:07 PM
Do you need that much damage? I usually don't.

It's not really about the damage, I am already doing a lot with my ubercharge/warblade build anyways I just thought it would be really really cool to have my character turn into a whirlwind of butt kicking. The funny thing is is that my DM is the one who suggested it and he is not one to suggest such things so I want to capitalize on it while I can.

Curious
2011-08-05, 05:17 PM
Just get White Raven Tactics, it's the best maneuver available.

Protip: You count as your own ally.

Greenish
2011-08-05, 05:22 PM
It's not really about the damage, I am already doing a lot with my ubercharge/warblade build anyways I just thought it would be really really cool to have my character turn into a whirlwind of butt kicking. The funny thing is is that my DM is the one who suggested it and he is not one to suggest such things so I want to capitalize on it while I can.Well, you want it and your DM suggested it, go ahead.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-05, 05:23 PM

Protip two: brace yourself for getting whacked by books.

Morbis Meh
2011-08-05, 05:46 PM

Oh I know all about WRT, my DM has seen it's glory and will not allow me to use it on myself. Secondly I am avoiding it because it doesn't not fit with my character at all, I have basically banned the WR school because my character is not by any means a leader or a tactician (I know it gimps me a little but it is for fluff reasons).

ImperatorK
2011-08-06, 03:55 AM
because it doesn't not fit with my character at all
Wait... Are you saying it does? :smallconfused: