PDA

View Full Version : Help with Plot hooks please, I can't find my rails.

NeverSleep
2011-08-05, 12:09 PM
Here's the thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200135)

Quick synopsis:

The pc's(2) are the last two members of the whore-house guild(their choice)- Hoiuse of Traia. One normal day while the Madame is away, they are attacked by birds and what they assume to be an assasin. Partial plot reveal shows them that the house is nearly chosen to be the center of a world fair of sorts, "Explorer's Entrada". Needless to say, they've become the target of many peoples political/economic agendas.

Now, not knowing who to trust(including the madame of the house) they'll be exploring their options and figuring out who to trust, and how to navigate/circumvent their new publicity.

So I've set up a character to receive a gem and get knocked "out" for "story purposes" by a "bad guy". But the campaign is so off the rails, I'm just going to let the setting determine what adventures they encounter from now out.

Anybody want to give advice on where to go next? Is the gem a set-up? Real payment? What's the purpose of the fake swords? (originalls they were to ship real gems or magic items in secret/for free). Is it just a sleeping poisen he got, or more? What effect will all of this have on the Explorer's Entrada? What can the pc's do to influence the final location of the Entrada(sounds like they may not even want to be a part of the house at all anymore)? What is the real purpose of the Publicans? What about the Warrior-Lich?

Any and all advice is welcome, I just wanted to hear what types of spitball ideas people have, so I can expand my pallet of options and plot hooks, and roll with the story, rather than forcing a rail.

Also, any advice on how to handle the details of the thread better? Like how do you handle split parties where only 1 should have the info(to avoid metagaming or metagame accusing?) Do you use combat threads?

Deets:

E6 (where humans can only reach lv.6, but cr 6+ creature/monsters can exsist: therefore opening up possible spell effects above lv3.)
2 PC's - warblade and wizard, both lv 1
Magic rare, mages shunned.
Homebrewed setting
Irl friends are the PC's

NeverSleep
2011-08-05, 05:49 PM
Added the thread, also reserving first post for responses.

Acanous
2011-08-05, 08:22 PM
Gem is a phylactery for the warrior-lich. That one just jumped out at me.

Sleeping poison could also be addictive (Think sleeping pills IRL with the warnings of addiction), persons who brew it start charging more and more per dose. Will save or you lose sleep each night without it.

Also, stepford smiler town that's friendly to adventurers but is really a cult of Belial. Because it's always an awesome plot hook.

NeverSleep
2011-08-11, 09:09 AM
Added quick synopsis to OP.

I really like the idea of the gem being the warrior lich's phylactory. I don't know if I can justify having "Beard" give it away so easily though. Maybe Madame Traia should already have it, and that's why the've been getting attacked so far? Or by the birds..?

The sleeping poisen should definetly be addictive/a drug. Wheather Beard has good intentions or bad, its always good to have leverage over someone.