PDA

View Full Version : Do you get AoOs with ranged attacks?

flabort
2011-08-05, 12:43 PM
Title says it all.

In case it doesn't, I'm trying to make a whirling-frenzy barbarian Composite-Longbow wielder build, with Rapidshot (+1 attacks from feat, +1 from rage), and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pick up Combat Reflexes, since the character has a high Dex (has that for other reasons).

Thing is, I can't find on the SRD whether or not I'd get an AoO when using a bow. Is it only in the first range increment? Only right next to the character? not at all? Up to the DM?
Even after Combat Reflexes (If I get it), I still have a free feat, if I can't make AoO with bows normally, is there a feat that will let me?

Thanks.

Quietus
2011-08-05, 12:47 PM
Nope, no AoO with a bow at all. Only with melee attacks - which you could use a spiked gauntlet/armor spikes/unarmed strikefor, if you wanted.

Draz74
2011-08-05, 01:08 PM
The "Arrow Mind" spell (SpC) lets you make AoOs with a ranged weapon, IIRC.

Typewriter
2011-08-05, 01:11 PM
Pathfinders new book (Ultimate Combat) has a feat called Snap Shot that allows you to threaten 5 ft. out with a bow. Might be worth taking a look at if your group is willing to use pathfinder stuff or homebrew a version of the feat.

The Cat Goddess
2011-08-05, 01:37 PM
The "Arrow Mind" spell (SpC) lets you make AoOs with a ranged weapon, IIRC.

I think there's a feat in Races of the Wild that allows this as well...

There's also a type of bow that can be used as a staff (or the magic version that is usable as a sword), so you can threaten in melee range.

flabort
2011-08-05, 01:48 PM
Wow, thanks for the replies.

@ Quietus: I was already considering carrying around some light blade, for flavor and close quarters, but spiked Gauntlets may work.

@ Draz74: Interesting, what's the duration?

@ Typewriter: No pathfinder, although I hear it works similar to d20/3.5?

@ Cat Goddess: What page is that feat on? And what book is that bowstaff in (And can it be Compound or add Strength bonus somehow)?

Thanks, and if all else fails, is there anything preventing me from taking Cleave + Great Cleave to work with a Bow?

Douglas
2011-08-05, 01:52 PM
Thanks, and if all else fails, is there anything preventing me from taking Cleave + Great Cleave to work with a Bow?
Yes. The extra attack from Cleave must be a melee attack, and it must be done with the same weapon. Technically there is no restriction that the triggering attack be a melee attack, but even that hairsplitting argument won't let you get an extra arrowshot - you'd have to club someone over the head with your bow for the free attack.

Prime32
2011-08-05, 02:20 PM
You cannot make AoOs with a bow since they do not threaten an area. Even if you could, you would provoke an AoO yourself.

Get a gauntlet and make AoOs with that.

myancey
2011-08-05, 02:41 PM
Or you can take a feat called Ranged Threat.

http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Ranged_Threat

It's from Dragon #350.

Fitz10019
2011-08-05, 02:45 PM
Get a gauntlet and make AoOs with that.
I think the goal was to threaten in a 100+ft radius.

Eldariel
2011-08-05, 02:54 PM
Easiest ways to take AoOs while wielding a bow:
- Improved Unarmed Strike: You can use non-hand UA Strikes like kicks, tackles and headbutts while wielding a bow.
- Ranged Threat [Dragon Magazine 350]: Threaten at 15' reach. This is a feat. Only drawback, it's from the most obscure source of them all: Dragon Magazine. Oh, and taking one AoO with it consumes all your AoOs for the turn; can't save a feat on this since it requires Combat Reflexes.
- Elvencraft Bow [Races of the Wild]: Bow doubles as a club or a Quarterstaff; allows you to threaten melee range. 300gp to add to any bow. Best option.
- Bow Blade [Complete Scoundrel]: Like Elvencraft, except it costs 4gp but has -2 to hits. Elvencraft is better in every way.
- Bowstaff [Magic Item Compendium]: Magic Item version that switches between Bow and Staff as a swift action. Costs 4600gp and takes actions to switch making it tons worse than Elvencraft Bow.
- Peerless Archer [Silver Marches]: Level 7, they get class feature "Threaten" which does approximately what you'd expect. A decent class overall for Archers. Functions as a reach weapon, doesn't threaten adjacent.
- Arrow Mind [Spell Compendium]: Level 1 Immediate Action spell that lasts 1 minute/level. Allows you to attack in melee without provoking and take AoOs with your bow at your natural reach. Ranger & Wizard lists contain this.

15' is the highest reach you can threaten without increasing your size category (Peerless Archer always threatens as a reach weapon so if you become Colossal, you'll threaten a 60' area).

flabort
2011-08-05, 03:44 PM
I think the goal was to threaten in a 100+ft radius.

Well, 30+, but close enough.

@Eldariel: That's a good sized list. If those are the Easiest ways, what are the not so easy ways? :smallwink:

I think I'll add a fighter dip, just so that I can get Ranged Threat. Thanks!