PDA

View Full Version : I've just had a ridiculous idea

Soranar
2011-08-05, 02:58 PM
Get a familiar that can take feats (off the top of my head I know a homunculus can be advanced so he can take feats)

Turn yourself into a mount (still debating which way would be the best option: polymorph, some kind of wildshape ability or a hengekoyan dog )

Make the familiar take mounted combat and use it to prevent attacks to you using the riding skill as , technically, you're the mount.

1rst, would that work?
2nd, what would be the best option to attain this goal if it works?

Yukitsu
2011-08-05, 03:01 PM
IMO, this is best done as a centuar druid, with an ape animal companion.

They aren't all that good at the ride checks though.

Ravens_cry
2011-08-05, 03:13 PM
Technically speaking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/ride.htm), everything can be a mount for a rider at least one size category smaller, just some things, I would rule humanoids among other things, the rider takes a -5 penalty on Ride checks.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-05, 03:28 PM
Just get an advanced familier of some kind as a wizard. Take the ride skill and get a saddel for your shoulder for your wyrmling dragon to sit on. Now psichic reformation your familier to change one of the default feats it gets from it's natural HD.

It uses your ranks in ride. Make an item that boosts ride through the roof!

Laugh as nothing can touch you!

Soranar
2011-08-06, 03:44 PM
Well, I did a bit of searching and I found out the following things:

-mounted combat can be gained by a simple magic item (battle bridle, +10 to ride checks and it gives you mounted combat) so that kills the need for a specific familiar (familiars are still the best option though since they use your skillranks)

only costs 7000gp too

-add riding boots to the combo for another +5 to your riding skill + rideby attack (those are far more expensive since they cost 12 000gp)
-another +2 because you're using a masterwork saddle
-another +2 from 5 ranks in handle animal synergy (not sure if a DM would let that fly but we're talking about being a mount character here so...)

-the only classes that can get a familiar and have the ride skill is a Duskblade, a Factotum (by using obtain familiar) or a Hexblade
-the familiar with the highest DEX is a coure Eladrin (24!)

So, assuming you have all the equipment necessary , by level 9 (when you get celestial familiar and the proper magic items)

you have 12 skillranks in ride+ 7 from DEX+ 15 from the magic items (might only be +10, not sure if it stacks)+ 2 from the saddle (can always pretend its a hat but the bridle would be a dead giveaway)+ 2 handle animal and -5 because you're not supposed to be a mount (couldn't find a proper way to fake that one unless I played a centaur or something).

total=29-34 + 1d20 AC (negates attacks so , effectively, this is touch AC)

Not bad for a guy with a bridle in his mouth.

DarkestKnight
2011-08-06, 11:13 PM
this is similar to an idea i've had for a bit (goblins with swarmfighting running around on each others shoulders), but i like yours as it seems more likely to gain DM approval. i've run my idea by my local DM and earned a facepalm from him.

1: yes this works as others have stated, just keep in mind that mounted combat only lets you do that once a round. i think there is a feat that lets you do it as many times, but im not sure where it is or if it really exists.
2: duelling people perhaps? find a way to take advantage of that mad one off AC.

Sitzkrieg
2011-08-07, 12:36 AM
Is there a way to get multiple familiars? You could get ridden by several Fine creatures at once. I also can't believe I just wrote that.

SowZ
2011-08-07, 12:38 AM
Is there a way to get multiple familiars? You could get ridden by several Fine creatures at once. I also can't believe I just wrote that.

I think common sense would say that the ride check for AC is useable once a turn is talking about for the mount, not just the rider. So it could still only be done once a turn.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-07, 09:10 AM
We are talking about a wizard with a bridel in his mouth and a cat sitting on his hat being able to dodge swords becuse the cat skillfuly pulls the reigns of the bridel useing the wizards knowledge of horseback rideing....

I am not sure common sense is much of a guide at this point.

Shadowknight12
2011-08-07, 09:25 AM
This thread needs just ONE thing.

Make the wizard a warforged.

Zarake
2011-08-07, 10:16 AM
This thread needs just ONE thing.

Make the wizard a warforged.

with some form of interior saddle? Like a cockpit? :P

Shadowknight12
2011-08-07, 10:18 AM
with some form of interior saddle? Like a cockpit? :P

Yes. Yes, precisely. Massive points for the innuendo, too.

flabort
2011-08-07, 12:09 PM
the warforged's built-in armor can be enchanted, right?
Simply enchant his head-slot like a Battle Bridle (you lose the +2 for masterwork saddle, but W/e), if the DM doesn't let you fluff it as a cockpit, it still comes pretty close.

Urpriest
2011-08-07, 12:21 PM
Eh, I think it's a better idea to keep the Wizard human, but give his familiar ranks in Profession(Chef).

Greenish
2011-08-07, 12:23 PM
the warforged's built-in armor can be enchanted, right?
Simply enchant his head-slot like a Battle Bridle (you lose the +2 for masterwork saddle, but W/e), if the DM doesn't let you fluff it as a cockpit, it still comes pretty close.It would be an embedded component, I think.

But yeah, Cockpit should definitely be an embedded component for warforged.

Grollub
2011-08-07, 12:49 PM
We are talking about a wizard with a bridel in his mouth and a cat sitting on his hat being able to dodge swords becuse the cat skillfuly pulls the reigns of the bridel useing the wizards knowledge of horseback rideing....

I am not sure common sense is much of a guide at this point.

bahahah.. +1 for this post

I can just picture this now.

PrismCat21
2011-08-07, 02:57 PM
Think of master blaster from Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome. I'd post a pic but can't seem to figure out how from my phone.

Soranar
2011-08-07, 06:30 PM
https://fumbbl.com/i/343599

Who knew coure eladrins had access to giant mechas?

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-07, 08:28 PM
This thread gives me such a massiave headache... and I KNOW one of my players is going to find this and try it :smallsigh:.

Also contributing you should get it a + 30 custom item of ride for more hilarity and also get an item familiar for it. You shall never be hit again due to your faithful cat jockey.

Shadowknight12
2011-08-07, 08:32 PM
This thread gives me such a massiave headache... and I KNOW one of my players is going to find this and try it :smallsigh:.

Also contributing you should get it a + 30 custom item of ride for more hilarity and also get an item familiar for it. You shall never be hit again due to your faithful cat jockey.

Item familiars are intelligent, too. Suddenly you actually have two little creatures on your shoulders that tell you what to do.

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-07, 08:35 PM
Item familiars are intelligent, too. Suddenly you actually have two little creatures on your shoulders that tell you what to do.

Make the item familiar a bridle :smallbiggrin:

playswithfire
2011-08-07, 08:36 PM
IMO, this is best done as a centuar druid, with an ape animal companion.

They aren't all that good at the ride checks though.

Or centaur wizard with a Blade Guardian familiar from Complete Warrior, maybe.

Shadowknight12
2011-08-07, 08:39 PM
Make the item familiar a bridle :smallbiggrin:

Or a hat. Or a cape.