PDA

View Full Version : To Break a Tyrant, and Take the World

Tuv
2011-08-05, 04:19 PM
Many outrageous rumors have been spreading across the lands, of a man intending to unite the thousand nations under a banner, or some such rot. There was no tell of him raising an army to push the Mask back, just merely to weather him. That is... insufficient.

Around the same time as the rumors of "Aerywyn the Uniter", rumors of a group offering the power to conquer began circulating. Hushed rumors of a cult that might help you to achieve your most grand goals, with the cost only being service and worship. The Immaculate Order took great pains to quash such baseless rumors, but they still persist.

So it is that three wanderers were detained at the settlement of Melodious Echo. Not forcefully, as they are free to leave, but for the sake of meeting the one they desire, they were crowded into a room with a long table dominating the majority of it. Each was led there by an individual, Grievous Ivory was brought in by Cynis Jaserain, Aurora Sahari by Jalia Atachi, and Manfred by Steadfast Oak.

Edge and Meld and Orosboru:
Cynis Jaserain excuses himself from the room, the contact their leader, leaving the three newcomers free to chat amongst themselves or with the two remaining "Ascended". Jalia and Steadfast Oak seem to trade half-veiled jabs at one another, and you couldn't make a better pair of rivals if you tried, but they seem more than willing to answer questions to prospective inductees. The room itself, however, is relatively non-descript. It is likely used for informal meetings, or casual interrogation, but it exudes an air of simple calm with a wooden floor and lacquered walls.

Orosboru:
The only reason you are here, is because you were "ordered" here. You hold no good favor with the bureaucracy, and they hold no good favor with you. But orders are orders, and yours are simple in one way, but frighteningly complex in another.

You are merely to observe this cult, The Immaculate Order has deigned it to be a problematic thing for them, and so have forced Heaven's hand on the issue. Heaven has no desire to waste resources on such a minor threat, but with The Immaculate Order getting caught up on some backwater cult, instead of dealing with the much larger problem of the Mask of Winters, they had to make some concessions to get them back on track. This is where you come into play.

Your orders are to observe, but also to keep them in check, and make regular reports to both Heaven and the Immaculates, in an attempt to keep their eyes on more important things. It was even implied that you should lie to The Immaculate Order if need be, just to keep them from being distracted by the "little" cult.

Incendius:
"My lady" you hear from behind you, the words are spoken with a touch of irony that you would only tolerate from one man, Cynis Jaserain. "The three that Jalia reported to you have finally arrived, and "I" have gathered them together so that you may meet with them if you wish." He half-bows, and half-leans forward as his report is given, and remains as though waiting for you to order or dismiss him with something of an impatience.

Incendius
2011-08-05, 05:25 PM
At the sound of Jaserain's voice Melodious Echo serenely turns around to face him. Her silken gown ripples with the motion, alluringly twirling around her form in a way that seems carried out as effortlessly as breathing. "Thank you Jaserain. Your service is as impeccable as always. You may stay to watch the proceedings or go as you wish." Melody intones, her voice ringing out softly without hint of reprimand or notice of Jaserain's slights.

Melody's face adopts a small smile as she directs her gaze into Jaserain's eyes. Tapping her lip as if in thought, Melody ponders out loud towards Jaserain, her tone faintly amused. "I must say though, I believe this will be an auspicious meeting. If what Jalia has claimed is true, these individuals are all quite capable themselves. It might behoove you to meet them. If all goes as I desire they shall be valuable aids to our efforts going forward."

Breaking her gaze with Jaserain, Melody inhales slightly as she gathers her composure and confidently steps forward into the meeting room. As she walks forward into the meeting chambers she almost seems to glide across the floor, her gown flowing along with her movements. She stands with a height that dwarfs that of all but her aide, Steadfast Oak, and carries an imposing aura that supports the trait.

Her visage is adorned with a beautiful smile that seems to bless all those to whom it was directed. The lids of her azure eyes are lowered slightly, as if in silent reverie. Her immaculate white gown of silk seems almost an accessory to her appearance, for she is easily recognizable as one of the most beautiful women to walk the face of Creation.

It was easy to fathom why such a woman was worshiped so widely. She possessed a grace, a beauty, and a bearing that befit a goddess rather than a being of the crude flesh in which she inhabited. With a grand gesture and a radiant smile Melody flung open her arms to her guests in greeting as she called out in a voice so harmonious that her speech would not have been out of place in a musical performance.

"Welcome to my humble abode travelers. I hope my people have given you all the respect you are due. I have heard great things of you from my dear friend here, and I so earnestly desire to show you a hospitality you may find fitting." As Melody speaks in a way that was anything but humble, she circles around Jalia and lets her hand raise to gently slide off Jalia's shoulder as Melody passes her by.

"I am certain you must have many questions, so I shall be forthright with giving you as many answers as I am able. Let me know your desires so that I may please you. You all have come such a long way to meet me, and I must return the favor in some manner." As Melody speaks her eyes twinkle with warmth as she regards all three of her gathered guests.

I forgot to say, Melody also has Essence Dissecting Stare active, as she gets enough cult motes to refund the cost every hour. She will take a moment or two to study each one of you; so put it down if you have some sort of disguise against essence sight or whatnot.

In case any of you do the same, Melody is currently an Essence 3 Air Aspect Dragonblood, due to Loom-Snarling Deception.

Orosboru
2011-08-06, 11:32 AM
"..?" Manfred was a little tired, and his useless arm ached. He took another swig from his bottle. Stupid observer missions. Means that he had to be sober most of the time. He looked at his host. Dragonblooded and pretty. He shifted around his his traveler's clothes. Beauty like that could be used as a bludgeon, but a Sidereal was needed to see what was happening, it meant serious professional behaviour was needed.

Resplendant Destiny (Gull.) 1 endurance. lasts one month.

Meld
2011-08-06, 07:36 PM
Aurora shifted her position in the chair slightly as she listened to the newcomer before leaning back into the cushion and further taking in the sight of their "hostess". Hopefully the rumors are not just rumors.., Aurora found herself thinking while watching their hostess. Leaning forward to speak, Aurora voiced her words as cordial as possible,"Maybe we can start with introductions instead of our..desires?", before turning her head to watch the physical responses of those present in the room.

Incendius
2011-08-06, 07:57 PM
"Ah, how rude of me." Melody gasps in fake dismay at Sahira's comment. Twirling around, Melody glides over to stand in between her paired Ascended. Resting a hand on each of their shoulders, Melody smiles as she gives introduction. "This handsome man on my left is Steadfast Oak." Tittering slightly Melody comments "The name certainly fits, yes?" And indeed it did, as Oak was a solid mass of muscle that stood so high and wide that he was one of the largest men in Creation.

Letting her hand fall from Oak's shoulder, Melody introduces her other companion. "This fine lady is named Jalia Atachi, and one could not have a truer friend." With the last, Melody smiles at Jalia and then turns back to the rest of the assembled crowd. "And I am Melana, the Lady of Benefaction. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." Melody states in a firm and confident tone, emphasizing her title over her name.

Yes she is going by a fake name, but its one she has been using since she returned. She is having herself worshiped through her title, so that the prayers may go through no matter what identity she uses to convert people with.

Edge
2011-08-07, 05:20 AM
Grievous Ivory is slouched in his chair, booted feet resting on the nearest table. As the Lady of Benefaction entered and introduced herself and her subordinates, he allowed his eyes to roam over her unrestrained. Sahira's question snaps him out of his reverie.

"Yeah, introductions. Right. Grievous Ivory: not-so-gentlemanly thief."

Despite his apparent openness, Ivory keeps his turban in position, veiling all of his face except for his startling blue eyes.

((Incendius:))
Melody will pick the following up from Ivory with her Essence-Dissecting Stare: both his tainted starmetal reaper daiklave and his tainted moonsilver razor claw are revealed as artifacts to her, and the nature of his Death-Dealing Journey charm becomes Obvious to her.

Tuv
2011-08-07, 08:50 PM
It does not seem like Jaserain saw fit to return to this most auspicious meeting, but he does return a minute or so later, carrying a small table and armful of bits and baubles, and sporting a jeweler's loupe.

He sets the small table up in a corner, showers it with the bits that load down his arms, and begins to fiddle with pieces of metal and small gems.

"Oh, don't mind me. And if you do mind..." His eyes run to Jalia "...Well, I don't care."

"Hmm." Is all that Jalia responds with.

"Now now you two. This is neither the time nor place." And Steadfast Oak ends it.

Meld
2011-08-08, 05:28 PM
Now thats a start.., Aurora thought mentally as she heard the hostess introductions of herself and her "compatriots" before turning to see where the other voice came from. Upon seeing the turbaned speaker, Aurora raised an eyebrow in response before opening her mouth to introduce herself. "I'm-", Aurora attempted to start speaking but was interrupted by the arrival of Jaserain and the commotion brought upon his tinkering with his baubles. "...I am Aurora Sahira..", Aurora announced quietly before throwing a disapproving glance at Jaserain and leaning back into the cushions of her chair.

Incendius
2011-08-09, 12:35 PM
The most perceptive individuals in the room might catch Melody's twitch when Jaserain starts his antics, but that seemed to be her only ill reaction. Still smiling raidently, Melody waves over at Jaserain and speaks. "And this is Cynis Jasarain. He is a fine fellow, with a mind that must always be occupied. Forgive his rudeness." Turning her attention away from Jaserain, Melody queries her guests. "Before we start, may I offer you any refreshments? You all surely must have had a long journey."

Orosboru
2011-08-09, 01:01 PM
"Wine, if you have it. Otherwise, let's begin." Manfred watched her followers with interest. Rivalry was healthy with underlings, but was there something else? He shelved it away for later. "You had something to propose?"

Incendius
2011-08-09, 02:20 PM
Raising an eyebrow at the man who still had not introduced himself, Melody sent a servant for some wine before turning back to describe her goals. Drawing a slight intake of breath, Melody outlines her ideas "Well, I have been given word that you all are individuals of... exceptional ability. Such as the rakish Ivony here, the eastern scourge of riches and bedchambers alike." With this last sentence, Melody sends a meaningful smile towards Irony.

Continuing, Melody's eyes flick between Aurora and Manfred as she proudly proclaims. "To be honest though, I am not merely looking for individuals with great talent. The rumors about me severely underplay my capabilities, I truly can raise the lowest man to the greatest heights allowing them to achieve the pinnacle of human perfection. However I cannot grant the level of strength that say, an Exalt might bring to bear."

Melody's smile widens as she regards all three of her guests with a somewhat self satisfied expression. "From where I stand, I can see that my friend's efforts have succeeded beyond my initial hopes." Waving a hand forward to forestall any attempts at denial Melody continues. "I hereby swear that your secret is safe with me. If you decide not to partake in my plans that there will be no repercussions, and I sincerely wish we may still part as friends."

Letting her smile drop into a more serious expression, Melody's tone deepens. "I will be forthright with you all. I seek an end to the Mask of Winter's presence in these lands. However, I do not seek a purely military solution as that rumored coalition does. I do not believe such efforts will succeed, and instead I wish to degrade Mask of Winter's power base until such a time as he may be driven out. I may be able to do this on my own, but I would be more assured with allies standing at my side."

Tilting her head slightly, Melody finishes. "I have no timeline for this as it stands, but I can promise you that there will be great gain for us in this endeavor. I can guarantee you that by the completion of our goals, anything you wish for will be in reach. Even now I can grant you substantial power, if you let me. What do you all say to my proposition?"

If Ivony mingled at the last Conventicle he probably would have seen a woman similar to what Melody looks like now. A much smaller woman with different features, but one remarkably similar to the individual standing in front of him. He would likely know that she was a Malefactor as well.

Meld
2011-08-10, 12:36 AM
...Maybe a little..too true., Aurora found herself thinking and eying Melana with a look of suspicion as she listened to her proposal. Leaning forward in her chair, Aurora put her hands together on her lap before replying rather tersely,"Substantial power you say..But at what cost? What would you ask us to give you in exchange? Not to say that I would rather have that monster still in creation but..one cant be too careful."

Tuv
2011-08-10, 02:24 PM
Jaserain will not be roused from his work, and Malfeas would give up in defeat and start a rose garden before Steadfast Oak would leave Jalia and Jaserain alone together. So it was Jalia that stepped out from the room, quickly returning with a bottle and several glasses.

Two were poured, one for her mistress, and one for the man who had requested it. "For you my lady." She says as she hands the chalice over. The unused glasses were left sitting next to the bottle on the table for the others if they changed their minds, and Jalia returned to her vigil (and occasional dissatisfied looks in Jaserain's direction.)

Incendius
2011-08-10, 03:48 PM
Turning to Jalia, Melody grasps the chalice and nods in gratitude. "Thank you." Looking back to Aurora, Melody answers her queries. "I would expect an alliance, a combination of forces that will last until the Mask is ousted from these lands and perhaps beyond. I would not presume to dictate, but we will be united under my banner. Your goals will be pursued in addition to my own. You will lend me your power so as to accomplish these ends, and we will all come out the better for it. We will protect each other and support each other, each of us shoring up the gaps in the other's expertise." As she finishes Melody takes a small drink from the chalice, and awaits more questions.

Orosboru
2011-08-10, 06:21 PM
"And the goals of... yours? May I presume to know them?" Manfred takes a swig. "Alas, I am rude with drink. I carry many names, but the one I've taken to heart to what a whore named me: Manfred is what my peers call me now. It is not a flowery name, but it is short and holds well for itself. Much like its owner."

Manfred looks at Melodius Echo, his dead arm swinging limply to the side. "The Mask has many plots and intrigues. How do we know that you aren't one of them?"

Incendius
2011-08-11, 01:40 PM
Melody taps her lip in thought before replying. "I will address the latter point first. As it seems you do not have lie detecting magic, I can offer no certainties. However I shall point out that there are few things more idiotic than gathering a group of enemy Exalted together. A single Exalt is a force to be reckoned with; a group is a power that conquers nations and changes the face of the world. I would not call the Mask stupid, so the idea that he would gather his enemies into a accord that could challenge him is laughable."

Taking another small sip from her chalice, Melody finishes. "As to the former, I have many goals. The ones most relevant now are a spread of my worship, a country of my own, and the elevation of my people to the utmost height. I do not expect you to assist on the first goal, and I think the other two shall come naturally from efforts against the Mask. In the end I envision a world where the common man is no longer crushed underfoot, where every individual is accorded power and self-determination. I would usher in a new age, one that eclipses the wonders of the distant past."

Smiling wryly, Melody raises her chalice and ponders out loud "Though I suspect the timespan on that last point is well beyond any reasonable discussion."

Orosboru
2011-08-11, 10:06 PM
"As you say." Manfred smiles. "Alas, the goals of the mighty tend to be as great as they are. You speak of the common man." His good humor fades. "I have heard of rabble-rousers, liars and charlatans who manipulate their feeling for their own gain. It is true that I have no otherworldly way of telling you false, but your actions will speak the truth that no charm could." His smile returns. "I hope you have success in your greatest desire. At the least of it, it has a clear end in sight."

Meld
2011-08-12, 07:44 PM
Leaning back into her chair and listening intently to the ensuing conversation brought on by her question, Aurora watched Melana with keen interest as she spoke. Turning to bring her gaze upon Manfred, Aurora found herself thinking,If this is true...it would be too great a chance to pass up..and if not.., passing her gaze back over Melana, I'll have to keep my eyes open..and wary for anything.

Edge
2011-08-14, 05:54 AM
Ivory's eyes narrow at the particular stress "Melana" puts on scourge when describing his activities. How did she know? She did look slightly familiar, but then many women looked slightly familiar to Ivory. He ransacked his mind, looking for where he'd seen her. Slowly, it dawned on him.

Oh, Malfeas.

"What you're proposing sounds risky as all Hell. It would require a plan of exceptionally fiendish cunning, but even that probably won't be enough. No, you need style too. And that is something I'd be all too happy to help with, rewards being what they are."

Incendius
2011-08-14, 07:20 AM
Looking from face to face, Melody smiles as her gambit comes to fruition. Clapping her hands together she exclaims. "Splendid! I shall endeavor to show you all the veracity of my intent and cement our alliance. I foresee greatness springing from this event." Melody lets her smile drop as she adopts a more serious tone. "If it so pleases you all, perhaps we should discuss tactics then? I have refrained from making detailed plans until I fully understand your capabilities, but I have pondered the campaign in broad strokes."

Letting a soft sound of contemplation rumble in the back of her throat, Melody continues. "In my opinion, there are two underlying goals that must be accomplished before we have a hope of challenging the Mask. The first and most difficult is to degrade his power base without drawing premature attention. In Creation we will have to disrupt his networks, subvert his ancestor cults, and sabotage any alliances he may have. If we find a way, we can even enter the Underworld and ruin his sphere of influence there. I suspect that the latter would prove far more effective, though proportionally more arduous."

Melody pauses and nods in completion of her point before moving on to the next one. "The second goal is to establish a power base of our own. While it may be possible to oust the Mask as individuals, it will be easier with a large backing. In an endeavor such as this I largely favor a decentralized approach, making it much more difficult for the enemy to seriously harm us with singular attacks. However, we will need a core base of operations with a significant capacity. That will entail either establishing a country of our own, or co opting existing countries to our will."

"It will be hard to disguise our rise if we establish a country, but it will be just as difficult to hide the uptick of activity in a country we support behind the scenes. I can see arguments for either approach. What are your opinions on these matters?" Melody finishes with a question addressed to all those present, including a look to her Ascended, whose gifted expertise gave them insights into all matters.

Meld
2011-08-17, 08:24 PM
"Well..either way would require some time..with either option requiring us to find a place that would fit our..needs.", Aurora paused to gather her thoughts before continuing, "Creating a country from scratch would..possibly take more time and effort..but we, as a whole, could ensure that the country is....loyal to us and fitting what ever needs we would need it to fit...either by indoctrination or..force."

Stopping to quickly look around, Aurora found herself thinking, Hopefully..this will grant some insight into what awaits us should Mask of Winters be removed., before leaning back into her chair with her hands in her lap.

Tuv
2011-08-18, 01:49 PM
Jalia and Steadfast Oak look as though they are about to speak, but Jaserain get in first.

"Warstriders." He says, half consumed in his work.

"...What?"
"Hm?"

"Feh. All this "uniting the land" and "building a country" talk is skirting the issue. Commandeer a Warstrider factory, in about five years... no, with me there probably two or three, you will all have fancy death machines, and you can march in and punch the Mask of Winters in the face as much as you want."

He seems to be grossly simplifying the matter, purposefully so if you had to guess.

Meld
2011-08-24, 05:41 PM
Turning in her chair to address Jaserain, Aurora sighs before responding,"And where would we find a warstrider factory which would have the resources nearby or already have enough there to produce enough warstriders for that time frame?", pausing to turn back to Melana before continuing, "Do we at least have some sort of idea on locations to start with for either of those "options" you mentioned? Least we could give some specific ideas based on the locations."

Incendius
2011-08-24, 06:32 PM
Melody nods along with Aurora's questions before she turns towards Jaserain and observes. "You would only make such a statement if you had an idea in mind. I am eager to hear it; your ideas have always done us well."

Turning to Aurora, Melody answers her questions. "For establishing a new nation, we would likely want to carve out a kingdom in the Hundred Kingdoms area. It wouldn't be a particularly noteworthy event. I have people in several countries in that area, though no specific starting point. That area is so fragmented we could throw a dart at a map to start and it would be as good as any other point."

"As for taking over a country, well, I would suggest a more stable power with a powerful base. I have no intent of jumping into the Nexus quagmire, and Lookshy would probably end up a disaster, so that only leaves us a few options. I am able to develop talents to deal quite easily with gods, so Great Forks might be a good starting point. The floor is still open to suggestions though, of course." With that last statement Melody turns back towards Jaserain.

Edge
2011-08-25, 05:10 AM
"What about the Marukans? Take out the leadership, sabotage the infrastructure, such as it is, and present ourselves well-intentioned replacements. Leaves us with a decent economy, and a cavalry-heavy army that'd be fairly quick to assemble. Given time, I'm sure I could drag up some Delzahn tactics to make them more effective."

Meld
2011-08-27, 11:03 PM
"The Marukians would give us a strong, well-armed, and mobile force..but they are governed by a Council with representatives from various towns and collectives.", Aurora slowly nodded before continuing, "If we could remove the key members..as you said Grievous..we could take control but that could tip off Mask of Winters especially with Thorns being a "short" distance from Celeren, not to mention what would happen if Lookshy found out about us taking control."

Turning to face Melana, Aurora continued,"Then again..the Hundred Kingdoms would provide some safety from Mask of Winters from finding out but..that would put us within range of Greyfalls which..I guess we could use to our advantage. Truth be told..I am fine with any path that is chosen as long as we eliminate Mask of Winters."

Tuv
2011-09-13, 02:41 AM
"Fine." Melody finally says after much bickering. "We'll put it up to a vote."

Predictably, everyone voted for their own idea. The only one left that hadn't voted was Aurora.

"So the decision is up to you. What do we do next?"

Meld
2011-09-14, 03:42 PM
Sighing slowly, Aurora takes a quick glance around the room before speaking,"All of your plans have merits although..", Aurora paused to put her hands together before gathering her thoughts and continuing,"I say..let us build our own nation, whether or not in the Hundred Kingdoms it does not matter to me..I'll leave that decision up to you Melana."