PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a lich

shuikage
2011-08-05, 05:07 PM
so giogn to be starting a campaign in like a month and a half and am thinking of maybe going through and making a lich to play with. so with all of yall being so great here just looking for the quickest way to get there. thanks yall.

darksolitaire
2011-08-05, 05:15 PM
Normally, you can become lich when your caster level reaches 11. Easiest way is taking a spellcaster class to level 11. I also think that being a Red Wizard allows lichdom at level 9, as the ability spell power increases caster level.

Dread Necromancer class has capstone ability at level 20, which changes you to a lich.

Walker in the Waste PrC is in Sandstorm, and it's level 10 ability changes you into a Dry Lich, which is actually a bit stronger then average lich because it adds charisma to it's hit points.

Flickerdart
2011-08-05, 05:17 PM
The quickest? You need a CL of 11 and spellcasting ability. While it is trivial to raise CL for spells, it is harder to do so for not-spells. Consumptive Field is your best bet, which is accessible by Clerics and Archivists at level 7. This is probably the earliest you can manage lichdom, ignoring the incredibly expensive phylactery.

SowZ
2011-08-05, 05:36 PM
And for practical campaign purposes, unless another lich teaches you directly you would need a pretty high knowledge (religion) to know the ritual... Also, you probably don't want to do it before you can cast anti-scrying/misc. enchantments abjurations on your phylactery. Becoming a lich is a quick way to get an inevitable/servant of a god on your unholy tailbone and you need to be prepared.

Yorrin
2011-08-05, 05:41 PM
darksolitaire mentioned Walker in the Waste from sandstorm. And as I just finished mentioning in another thread- this is my favorite PrC in the game. It's capstone makes you a Lich+ (aka a Dry Lich).

If your DM lets you take the Sand and Thirst Domains (not offered by the same deity, which is why it requires DM approval) you can get in after just three levels of Cleric, meaning you become a Lich at level 13 (otherwise it's Cleric 5, making it level 15 for lichdom). It's a lot more streamlined than the traditional "spending years of research learning the ritual" and such.

shuikage
2011-08-05, 07:01 PM
hmm ill have to look into the dry lich dealio. just going to go through and have to figure out what to do befor hand.

flabort
2011-08-05, 07:40 PM
I remember reading about a Kobold Wizard 3, who used hundreds of (or at least 8) consumable items to increase her caster level long enough to complete the lichdom ritual. She reverted to level 3 afterwards, and went quite mad as a result (player-made fluff, but W/e). Apparently she wandered the dungeon she was in, asking the the other monsters "have you seen my shiny", and obsessing over her "shiny", AKA Phylactery, like Gollum over the Ring.

But all those objects used up half the treasure from ALL the monsters in the dungeon. It would cost so much gold to do it at that level, you'd be broke for the next 13 or so levels.

It was on these here forums, but darn me if I can remember where to find it.

magic9mushroom
2011-08-05, 07:54 PM
darksolitaire mentioned Walker in the Waste from sandstorm. And as I just finished mentioning in another thread- this is my favorite PrC in the game. It's capstone makes you a Lich+ (aka a Dry Lich).

If your DM lets you take the Sand and Thirst Domains (not offered by the same deity, which is why it requires DM approval) you can get in after just three levels of Cleric, meaning you become a Lich at level 13 (otherwise it's Cleric 5, making it level 15 for lichdom). It's a lot more streamlined than the traditional "spending years of research learning the ritual" and such.

Clerics dedicated to an ideal can pick freely (apart from alignment domains ofc), so no, it doesn't require DM approval (except in the sense that everything does). Disallowing clerics of an ideal is a houserule, not the standard.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-06, 05:08 PM
You can qualify after level one if you take the spontanious Cleric alternate class feature and versitle spellcaster. Now be a full dry litch at level 11.

flabort
2011-08-06, 05:30 PM
You can qualify after level one if you take the spontanious Cleric alternate class feature and versitle spellcaster. Now be a full dry litch at level 11.

Example build, I request. Interesting that sounds, Hmm?