PDA

View Full Version : Cortex system has a Marvel licence

Totally Guy
2011-08-05, 06:09 PM
Word on the street is that there's going to be a Marvel rpg using the Cortex system. (http://geek-news.mtv.com/2011/08/05/gen-con-new-marvel-comics-rpg-games-announced-by-margaret-weis-productions/)

I kind of had my hopes up that Cortex would venture into fantasy as I'd love to see their take on it. But I'm sure that there are many fans of marvel stuff who'd be very much into this.

I've not touched any Cortex since firefly and I've heard that each iteration of their system (Smallville, Leverage) has improved upon it. So lets hope that trend continues. :smallsmile:

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-08-06, 12:51 AM
Quite excited to see this, and I have a friend who was totally freaking out over it. Good stuff! I think the Cortex system is very nicely flexible, and customizable with character abilities. Kinda like a more gamey GURPS, less concerned with realism and more concerned with cool character traits.

Mando Knight
2011-08-08, 06:35 PM
Sounds like the right kind of system for Marvel. Sixteen books for the first year sounds a little crazy, though. Hopefully that includes things like scripted adventures and world-building fiction, and not just added game mechanics/character options.

Beleriphon
2011-08-08, 10:29 PM
Sounds like the right kind of system for Marvel. Sixteen books for the first year sounds a little crazy, though. Hopefully that includes things like scripted adventures and world-building fiction, and not just added game mechanics/character options.

16 books is 16 adventures with pregen characters. They will come in adventure + characters and adventure + characters + rules versions.

Mando Knight
2011-08-08, 10:58 PM
16 books is 16 adventures with pregen characters. They will come in adventure + characters and adventure + characters + rules versions.

Ah, good. Couldn't imagine how the system would end up if their first-year release list looked like

Marvel RPG Core rulebook
Manual of Mooks and Masterminds
Complete Mutants
Complete Power Armor
Complete Avengers
Complete ACRONYM
Expanded Kirby Dots Handbook
Civil War Campaign Guide

etc.

:smalltongue:

Beleriphon
2011-08-09, 10:37 PM
Civil War Campaign Guide

They will be like this. But for all of the major Marvel events in the last two decades or so. Thus you'll see a House of M, Age of Apocalypse, and Civil War (which is the first one) book.