PDA

View Full Version : D&D-3.5-The Power of the Mind

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-05, 06:27 PM
All of you who post in this thread who aren't players will "Be fed to the Jaw Imps, and Looted by the Bearded Devils"
I would like everyone to introduce their characters in a tavern.
Hope for Interesting RP.
Arcadia is a Greek Province in RL FYI.
Not In-game of course.
On a Coastal Town In Arcadia(Province), "The Red Halfling", a Common tavern, gathers townspeople this evening.

As each of you enter, you are hit with many sights, sounds, and smells.
The tavern is rather crowded, filled with mostly humans, elves, and halflings.
In one corner, a female human bard sings elven songs of great emotion, while several drink at the bar. 2 halflings seem to be enjoying a conversation, one wearing a golden bracelet.
You notice the two halflings leave the tavern and turn a corner.

Time for RP.

whiskytangofoxt
2011-08-05, 10:32 PM
At a table near oneside of the tavern, a beast of a man sits on the floor drinking. Even on the floor, he's almost as tall as his companions in chairs. His dark hair is tied back, with several braids, clips and other adornments run through it. Visible on his coppery skin are several tattoos, many criss-crossed with scars, grazes and burns - marks of a professional warrior. He is currently regaling the group with a bawdy story.

"Now, I know Jonas here has bathed beside me, and he knows why they call me the Half-Giant... but in The Pits, there was a fella. I swear, he stood thirty hands tall!"

One of his companions, a Dwarvish female, rolls her eyes like she's heard the story a thousand times. The huge man lifts his arm into the air, to motion the height - his arms are covered with tacky jewellery, and he is robed in a fine getup, put together with more thought to how expensive each component was than how well they matched.

"Bors, his name was. And he was... well equipped. I mean, he could have beat you to death with no hands, pardon my crudeness. Men wept in his presence, women swooned, and the Half-Orcs just giggled."

He throws out a wide grin, showing a few missing teeth. A young Half-Orc warrior blushes, and returns his smile with a little grin of her own.

"He was well known for his size. And he liked to boast about it. He picked on one of the other fighters in particular, a Halfling by the name of Cade. Used to joke that his member was bigger than Cade himself!
So, one day, Bors and Cade got picked to fight - and they were told to make it memorable, a fight fit for the passing nobles from Kanatar. So, Cade decked himself out with full Halfling hunting gear, warpaints, the works. Bors simply showed up to the fight naked, and totally unarmed. They billed it as a representation of Kinga the Hunter's Great Battle with Skullcracker, of the Red Hand Ogre clan.

And it was a sold-out show. Hundreds of people showed out to see the battle. And not thirty seconds in, it was over. As soon as Cade made a lucky swing for a very large and obvious target."

He takes a long draught from his tankard of ale, sized specifically to his huge fist.

"From that day, we used to say that while I was the Giant, poor Bors was the Half!"

The table burst into assorted groans, giggles and guffaws, all barring the distinctly unimpressed Dwarf.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-06, 09:39 AM
Krendle, average as bald men go, was dressed in simple gray clothes. His beard was short and dark with a hinting of white. He looked about the room as he entered the tavern and instantly drew his attention to the boastful naive at the far end of the room. Not much for butting in, he decided to take up a chair nearby to listen to what must be some of the best stories he is ever to hear, only to discover they were mostly the crude musings of a brute. Nevertheless, he could not keep himself from listening to the happenings unfold.

whiskytangofoxt
2011-08-07, 05:58 PM
The huge man looks over to the newcomer, sitting a table over. The tale of Lyrin's problem with the Gnome and the grease spell didn't raise a smile. Neither did his rendition of the "An Elf, A Human and a Dwarf walk into a bar". And as for the song about Half-Elf Nel, not a peep.

The Half-Giant turns to the bald man in grey.

"You don't seem to be enjoying my tales, friend. Care to share one of your own?"

He motions to the female Dwarf, another huge grin breaking out.

"Jonas is bored of mine. Allow me to buy you an ale, sir."

He slams a heavy hand down, almost uprooting the table in the process.

"BARKEEP! Bring this man an ale! And another for everyone at the table!"

stanleyindraven
2011-08-08, 02:25 PM
"Quite the contrary, I am very amuzed by your regailings, just not with the brash method by which you tell your stories," Krendle will respond.

Volthawk
2011-08-08, 07:48 PM
Xenon wanders into the tavern, sitting down in a table near the large man, currently shouting for drinks. His hat is currently not disguising him, leaving his normal appearance - a young man, with short dark hair, dressed in a long hooded cloak. As he sits, he relaxes slightly, tuning in to the noises around him, hoping to pick something interesting up.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-11, 11:24 AM
Continue Roleplaying... for now...

whiskytangofoxt
2011-08-11, 11:43 AM
The huge man's smile drops somewhat.

"I am not used to presenting tales with any hint of subtlety, friend. I am a warrior, at heart..."

Arkady stands up to his full height, over 7 and a half feet, and flexes his huge muscles. More scars gleam in the light of the fire.

"And there are a few subtle arts I've mastered. Sadly, conversation is not one of them."

He stretches out a dinnerplate-sized hand.

"Arkady. And you?"

Volthawk
2011-08-11, 11:55 AM
Xenon, upon hearing Arkady's claims, starts to chuckle. "Subtle? You know subtleness? I wouldn't guess that."

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-11, 12:00 PM
A bard, having finished an acceptable performance mutters towards Xenon, "You sir, lack the great gift of silence."

stanleyindraven
2011-08-11, 12:22 PM
"Well met, I am Krendle," he stands and shakes Arkady's hand. Krendle stands a full two feet shorter. "I too have some mastery of special skills. Silence being one of those," he adds as he looks at the musician."

whiskytangofoxt
2011-08-11, 12:47 PM
Arkady looks to the newcomer to the conversation. His face becomes stony and serious, and he draws out his chest, adding a few more inches to his already impressive height.

"I know the arts of the lightest of daggers, they sing in my hand. The greatest of blades are like extensions of my body. I know the arts of the mind - with the power of a thought, my body is a weapon beyond imagine."

Maintaining his "serious face", Arkady starts to motion out an exaggerated female form.

"And I know the fine arts of lovemaking, dear sir!"

Now he bursts into crude laughter, bellowing through the tavern. The wench, as though responding to his outburst, arrives with more ales. Arkady passes one to Krendle, and one to each of his companions at the table.

He turns back to Xenon.

"Another new aquaintence to make, what a busy night! I am Arkady Dunestrider, a warrior by trade. I have beaten beasts, magicians, abominations and creatures from beyond the veil of death. I am a rarely bested warrior. And you, sir?"

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-11, 12:51 PM
The sun has fallen below the horizon at this point.
A bit more role-playing please, but when you find you want to move on, say so.
Sorry for being absent for the past few days, Faulty Antivirus killed my PC. This is anything but spam by advertisement.

Volthawk
2011-08-11, 01:25 PM
Xenon grins, gaining an unsettling, inhuman presence. "Name's Xenon Dimas. At the moment I'm just wandering. Family suggested it would be best to get some experience out of the city, but between you and me, I know it's because they were freaked out about my...talents."

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-11, 01:40 PM
The Bard seems to find the way you said talents unsettling.Well, of course. The bard gives you a suspicious glance.
IMPORTANT!
Arkady Gains 250xp for great RP, Krendle and Xenon both Gain 175xp for RP.

Is that enough xp for RP, or am I being too stingy?
The Barkeep Asks, "Will ye be lookin' for rooms tonight?"

whiskytangofoxt
2011-08-11, 02:09 PM
"Talents, eh? Are you also skilled in the art of lovemaking?"

His sense of humour now satisfied, Arkady sits back down. He throws the bard a silver piece.

"Sing us a song, son. omething that might lift our spirits and help us get to know one another. These men look like they have tales to tell."

I'm pretty ready to move on now.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-11, 02:12 PM
"Yes, well. It seems the conversation has drawn some ire. Perhaps we should talk more in private," Krendle says as he hefts his mug toward the tall brute and takes a swig.

Not much has happened thus far so i think the xp is fine.

"I indeed would like a room for the night," Krendle answers the barkeep.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-11, 02:42 PM
The bard sings such a song.
The barkeep says, "It appears that we're out of rooms tonight sirs."
"I have a friend you can stay with for the night though, he owes me a favor." "Because of the trouble, and the fact you bought a lot of drinks, the rooms are on the house."
The barkeep gives directions to the place you can stay if you don't cut him off.

Volthawk
2011-08-11, 02:48 PM
Xenon thinks for a moment. "Yes, they can apply in that field. And sure, this friend's place sounds like an alright place to stay."

stanleyindraven
2011-08-11, 03:02 PM
"Thank you for the kindness," Krendle says tot he barkeep. "So, stories, I have a few and I am guessing they are not as numerous as yours," he says to the giant.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-11, 03:08 PM
Are you going to engage in RP, or are you going to follow the barkeep's directions?

stanleyindraven
2011-08-11, 03:12 PM
Follow directions, then RP. My suggestion anyway.

"When you would like to continue our conversation, follow the keep's directions," Krendle will tell Arkady before he drinks the last of his mug, drops a platinum coin on the table and then walks out.

whiskytangofoxt
2011-08-11, 03:24 PM
"Nor as interesting, I'll wager."

He gives a sarcastic smile, to show no harm done. His friends had their own places to be beds to warm and people to see. He, however, was up for something new, so he went along with his new friends. Being an old warrior at heart, he keeps an eye out for any signs of suspicious activity.

For the barman in the tavern:
Sense Motive: [roll0]

For the walk to the place to sleep:
Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

If I figure something is wildly up with the barman, we can change things about...

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-11, 03:25 PM
You spot a small piece of gold in a small alleyway near the main street...
It has blood on it.
It looks like a scale, or gold broken off of a piece of jewelery.

whiskytangofoxt
2011-08-11, 03:37 PM
Arkady bends down to pick up the the golden scale.

"Gents... what does this look like to you?"

Arkady peers closer, turning the item over in his fingers and holding it to the nearest light source to try and figure out exactly what the item is.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-12, 12:16 AM
It appears to be a segment of gold with a ruby studded into it.
It could've broken off of a piece of jewelery.
Would you guys consider it a monstrous betrayal to the campaign/ to you, if I added Primitive firearms to the world?

whiskytangofoxt
2011-08-12, 08:10 PM
Sadly, Arkady was too busy drinking to remember the Halfling with the pretty bracelet... shame I can't metagame :smalltongue:

"This will make a fine earring, when stretched and flattened and hooped... I'll keep it for now."

He scoops the scale into his pocket and continues on his way.

Awww, crap, ambush time!

stanleyindraven
2011-08-12, 10:16 PM
i am fine with firearms

Volthawk
2011-08-13, 08:47 AM
"Hmm...there's probably going to be a catch, some problem that it will bring. Things are never just completely positive."

Sure, firearms are alright with me.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-13, 11:00 AM
Will saves+Listen checks all around.
The entire party has a strange and disturbing feeling come over them, especially Arkady.

Volthawk
2011-08-13, 11:05 AM
Will: [roll0], +5 if the save is from an Aberration's abilities (not stuff from classes, though)
Listen: [roll1]

"Odd. See, what did I just say?"

stanleyindraven
2011-08-13, 01:26 PM
Will [roll0]
listen [roll1]

"The world balances on that principle," Krendle says.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-13, 10:25 PM
What is the party's source of light? Torch? Darkvision?
I will not cannot post much else until I get a listen check+Will save from whiskytangofoxtrot.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-14, 05:26 AM
You appear to have a good point. I did not pack a torch.

Volthawk
2011-08-14, 05:56 AM
I have nothing, but if I manifest my form I could make some darkvision eyes (luminous skin will have to wait until level 12 when I get the Flesh feature) which would do me, but not you guys.

whiskytangofoxt
2011-08-14, 11:06 AM
Whoops, sorry, busy couple of days...

Will: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Arkady stands firm at the sudden feeling of foreboding, and with a thought calls his Soulbound blade to his hand.

That's 1 PP used, down to 10.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-14, 05:01 PM
The ambient light levels seem to diminish, and then fade completely.
You can see with darkvision though...
if you have it.
DUN DUN dun duuun :smallsmile:
as far as i see, your sheets don't mention darkvision.
Arkady, Your Low-Light vision does nothing.
You can all see zip without a light.
you can't see your nose in front of you.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-14, 05:32 PM
Krendle will fire a bolt to see if it provides illumination. (1PP)

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-14, 05:37 PM
Umm, Explain?
Are you going to set the bolt on fire?

whiskytangofoxt
2011-08-15, 02:17 AM
I think he means Bolt, the power. Check the XPH, page 81.

As the darkness comes on, Arkady feels even his great eyes struggle to adjust. He decides to leave the alleyway, to try and get back to the street and find himself a torch. He keeps his weapon gripped tight in both hands, expecting trouble.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-15, 10:22 AM
I think I may be reading the wrong power, but "bolt" says nothing about glowing/light.
Regardless of whether it would provide illumination, You can see no bolt summoned, likely because of your deprived sight.

As Arkady Attempts to leave the alleyway, A deep voice says, "I wouldn't be so sure you will be able to make an earring out of that.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-15, 10:34 AM
no problem with the light on the bolt.

Krendle will draw his dagger and move toward the last building he could see.

Volthawk
2011-08-15, 10:48 AM
Xenon grins in the darkness. "Oh, really? And you're going to try and stop us?" In the darkness, Xenon starts to change, making a sickening noise as he grows rows of strange slitted eyes on his face and a large, long, serrated tentacle out of his back.

Manifesting my form. All creatures other than Arkady and Krendle with line of sight to me have to make a DC 16 Will save or be shaken.

Features:
6 Basic Eyes (Augments: Darkvision Eye) [FP cost: 12]

Low-light vision
Darkvision 30ft
+3 to Spot and Search
+2 AC
+1 to Reflex saves

1 Tentacle (Augments: Long Tentacle, Large Tentacle, Serrated Tentacle) [FP cost: 11]

Base Damage: 1d6+1
10ft reach
-1 to attack (although Unearthly Power counters this, making a total of +1)

whiskytangofoxt
2011-08-16, 10:18 AM
"Come now, show yourself and fight like a..."

Arkady hears... something behind him that sounds like wet cloth being torn apart, and smells even worse. It happened right where this Xenon fellow was standing.

"By the Gods, are you alright?"

Volthawk
2011-08-16, 10:49 AM
In the darkness, Xenon grins. "Never better..."

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-17, 10:29 AM
Brilliant RP, 100xp for all.
Sorry for not posting, been bust recently.
Xenon, with your darkvision, you see a human sized shadow in a cloak standing on the roof above the party.Next to the alleyway.
The figure throws a small an object that you cannot quite see in detail.Throws it too fast.
You hear a loud "BANG!" that sounds like metal hitting pavement at high speed.

Fort Save!

Suddenly, everyone's darkvision seems to fail.Those who have it.

Volthawk
2011-08-17, 10:31 AM
Fort: [roll0]

stanleyindraven
2011-08-17, 10:33 AM
Fort: [roll0]

whiskytangofoxt
2011-08-17, 04:15 PM
Fort: 1d20+6)

"I tire of these tricks. Show yourself!"

Arkady is getting himself worked into a real fury by this point.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-18, 02:26 PM
Because of fort roll fail, I shall roll for you.
"You tire of your own life?, then I shall take it from you."
Arkady feels a sharp pain in his back near his neck. all 21 vitality points lost +2 wound points.
Arkady feels fatigue come over him.

whiskytangofoxt
2011-08-19, 04:19 AM
Dammit, this is what you get when you update before going out and not checking it!

Arkady attempts to swat the pain in his back, like the worlds worst mosquito bite. But a heavy feeling comes over him, his arms falling useless by his sides. He sinks to one knee, in an attempt to steady himself.

"Trickery... and d-deceit? Show yourself! COWARD!"

The Half-Giant roars into the darkness, and stumbles back to his feet, weapon still in hand, driven by naught but rage.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-19, 02:27 PM
Sneak attack is a real bear.
"I will give you one chance to give up the trinket."

stanleyindraven
2011-08-19, 02:33 PM
"How do we know it truly belongs to you," Krendle says loudly.

Volthawk
2011-08-19, 02:40 PM
Xenon is quiet, but the sound from earlier returns, only this time seemingly in reverse, before returning to how it was. In this time, Xenon has changed again, with his extra eyes and tentacle replaced by an immense mouth, taking up most of his form, a large tongue licking the air like a snake. It then speaks, mimicking the other person's voice "You can't stop the hunt....and you are my prey now...staying here to antagonise me isn't the best of moves, since I'm hungry now..."

Supressing my form as a swift action, then taking two move actions to change my features.

Features:

1 Mouth (Augments: Large Mouth x4, Air Tasting Mouth, Trail Tasting, Hooked Teeth, Deceptive Mouth) [FP: 21]

Bite attack: 3d6+2
Scent
Can track by scent like I have the Track feat
+5 to Grapple checks
+2 to Disguise/Bluff if target doesn't know about the mouth, can speak and emulate other voices

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-19, 02:51 PM
Are you attempting to locate the person?
I would believe so.

Volthawk
2011-08-19, 02:53 PM
Yep, given how the target turned off darkvision, decided to go for scent instead.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-19, 03:00 PM
Don't you make a certain check?
The description specifies that you don't use survival.

Volthawk
2011-08-19, 03:01 PM
That's for if I want to track by scent, not for detecting with scent.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-19, 03:04 PM
ah, okay.:smallsmile:
You can smell a cloak with a humanoid scent not of your own party within a few feet of you.
You can smell the cloak because of its material.

whiskytangofoxt
2011-08-20, 04:15 AM
Despite the pain and fatigue, Arkady laughs.

"The trinket? That thing?"

His hand slides into his pocket, and produces the scale. He tips it onto the street, only knowing he's done so by a light ting as it bounces off the stone.

"Take the damn thing, and begone! If I don't murder you, my collegue here might eat you. And really, neither of us want that."

Arkady has no idea what Xenon is babbling about. But then, he'd seen men grow claws in the midst of battle, watched as they turned into beasts and monsters despite all outward apperances. It's best not to assume he's bluffing, really.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-20, 12:44 PM
You hear a low, short laugh.
Then, Xenon hears something approaching him from behind.
It smells like the cloak of the assailant.

Volthawk
2011-08-20, 01:00 PM
Xenon turns in the darkness, tasting the air some more, before biting down on where he can smell the target with his huge maw.

Using my bite attack. If I hit, I automatically start to grapple (due to Bizarre Grappler). Not sure if the scent means I ignore the miss chance due to concealment or not.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Grapple: [roll2]

If I succeed on the grapple, I'll start to Devour.
Grapple: [roll3]
If he loses this check, he takes 2 Constitution damage.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-20, 03:04 PM
Xenon hears a gasp after biting down.
You feel a small sized creature struggle but is unable to escape.
Xenon hears a few muffled screams or shouts.
After a few moments of devouring, the creature goes more or less limp.

stanleyindraven
2011-08-22, 07:06 AM
Krendle keeps trying to move away from the sounds until he can see again, following any walls he finds.

whiskytangofoxt
2011-08-23, 08:39 AM
And now Arkady knows that Xenon was serious. The sounds of crunching bone and noises that sound awfully like chewing work their way to him through the darkness.

He attempts to make his way the Hells away from Xenon, keeping an arm out in front of him to feel for walls, doors, or assailants to batter.

Volthawk
2011-08-23, 08:42 AM
Xenon spits out the now-corpse, changing back into his worldly guise, his normal appearance, and drags the body out of the alleyway.

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-23, 05:31 PM
Heal Check to see if it is dead, or unconscious.
The darkness now dissipates.
Xenon is dragging a terribly wounded halfling.
Where Arkady dropped the piece of jewelry, a ring forged of Black steel rests.
You hear the same deep voice say, "Oh, did you think that was me?"
"I seem to have overstayed my welcome then."
You cannot tell where the voice is coming from.
"Well, enjoy the "tasty" halfling."

stanleyindraven
2011-08-25, 07:18 AM
"Well, look what you did," Krendle says as he walks up and inspects the halfling. HEAL [roll0]

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-25, 10:10 PM
The halfling is barely breathing but still alive.The halfling is unconcious.

The halfling is clearly unstable, is breathing erratically, and is losing blood fast.
Much blood is dripping from the space where you are sure the other half of his right arm should be.

whiskytangofoxt
2011-08-26, 06:44 PM
The Half-Giant looks to Xenon, now dragging a Halfling with chunks missing.

"By the Gods... what are you?"

Volthawk
2011-08-27, 11:37 AM
The giant mouth grins, shrinking as Xenon returns to his worldly guise, his hat disguising him as an elderly man, dressed in simple robes. "Human...but yet more than that." He walks over to the ring, picking it up. "And what is this?"

Lordof Dorkness
2011-08-27, 11:50 AM
The ring feels cold to the touch.
The halfling is still losing a lot blood, but is appearing to regain consciousness...
The halfling turns his head and opens his eyes slowly.
The halfling is as much unstable as before, but is now more or less conscious, and is clearly in shock.
Whether by lack of blood, or by shock, the halfling is turning pale.
Sorry for starting most sentences with"The halfling...", or "The..."