PDA

View Full Version : Natural Weapons: The Thread.

Dire Reverend
2011-08-05, 10:21 PM
So, I had a couple of questions about natural weapons. I am unable to use the search function for this website, so I am sorry if these questions have already been asked/answered.
Is there a way for creatures/characters with Natural Weapons to gain additional attacks due to high BAB?
Is it true that taking a standard action to attack will only let them use one of their natural weapons even if they have multiple primary natrual weapons (like two claw attacks)?
Is there a feat and/or magic item to give a creature reach for their natural weapons?

Doorhandle
2011-08-05, 10:31 PM
1. No. The point of natural attacks is that they do not require B.A.B to get more than one attack. In pathfinder, there is not way to use B.A.B and
natural attacks together, but it might be different for 3.5/3.0

2. Yes, as far as I know. However, many animals that benefit from multiple natural attacks will also have pounce, allowing them to make all their attacks on a charge. If I remember right, you might be able to get this as a monster feat...

3.Well, it might only be for Pathfinder, but with the summoner class and some creatures, they get Reach with some natural attacks. Not sure if you can have more than one Nat. attack with reach.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-05, 10:33 PM
1. There is a feat (rapid strike) that lets you make extra claw attacks, and unarmed strikes are naturals as well.

2. Yup. You get 1 attack on a standard like anyone else.

3. I believe there is a flaw feat that gets you reach in return for a negative side effect.

Dire Reverend
2011-08-05, 10:47 PM
I am not sure what a flaw feat is, where it is from?

And is there a feat to gain the Rake ability?

The Dark Fiddler
2011-08-05, 10:57 PM
There's a pair of feats from the Book of Vile Darkness that grants an extra 5-foot reach, but I'm pretty sure you need to be evil.

Talya
2011-08-05, 11:00 PM
1.) Improved unarmed strike will let you make a full suite of unarmed strikes and iterative attacks, in addition to all of your natural attacks.

3.) The feat Martial Stance (Dancing Blade Form) can give you +5' reach. There are some prerequisites, though.

Doorhandle
2011-08-05, 11:01 PM
Again for pathfinder, there's a feat called rending claws that lets you rake if both your claw attacks hit, along with other feats that let you hit ethereal and and have sliver-like claws.

In a similar question: if I'm playing a beast-totem barbarian, I get claws as a natural attack when I rage. Can I still get feats that modify natural attacks if i don't have them all the time?

...I mean, I'm sure the druid can.

mootoall
2011-08-05, 11:02 PM
I believe that mouthpicks, from Savage Species, let you do iteratives with bite attacks.

Big Fau
2011-08-05, 11:05 PM
I am not sure what a flaw feat is, where it is from?

And is there a feat to gain the Rake ability?

Flaws are a special option that you can take during character creation. Taking a flaw gives you a bonus feat that you qualify for. The system is spelled out in UA, or can be found in the SRD.

flabort
2011-08-05, 11:13 PM
Once again, I find the perfect opportunity to promote This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112349), which is, by far, my favorite class ever.

Sure, it's homebrew, and two years old, but the creator was a mad genius. But it allows you, as one of it's many options, to increase the reach on a natural weapon.

No additional attacks from BaB or multiple attacks in a standard action, but it is a dream come true for Natural Weapons addicts.
But the fact that it fills so many roles, without being too OP unless you specifically try, which is true of ALL good classes, makes it a good class to pick up, unless you are already set on a build.

Flickerdart
2011-08-05, 11:16 PM
In addition to the BoVD feat Willing Deformity(Tall) there is Inhuman Reach in Lords of Madness, for an additional 5 feet of reach. Warshaper grants another 5, but the monster may not qualify for it.

Dire Reverend
2011-08-05, 11:30 PM
Hey everyone, sorry but I meant Rend, not Rake.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-05, 11:35 PM
Hey everyone, sorry but I meant Rend, not Rake.

PHBII has two weapon rend I believe, and one of the uses of the Girallion Arms meldshape of a totemist is to give its claws rend.

Flickerdart
2011-08-05, 11:41 PM
The Vestige Ipos gives you Rend, among other things, but I'm not sure if you can grab him exclusively through feats.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-05, 11:47 PM
The Vestige Ipos gives you Rend, among other things, but I'm not sure if you can grab him exclusively through feats.

You can get up to level 5 binds with feats I believe. I don't remember where Ipos is though.

Flickerdart
2011-08-05, 11:56 PM
He's ToM. Lists of Stuff has him at ECL12.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-06, 12:08 AM
He's ToM. Lists of Stuff has him at ECL12.

He is a level 6 vestige, so he is out of the range of feats :(

Big Fau
2011-08-06, 01:32 AM
Do remember that the Bind Vestige feats do not always grant the abilities you want (I can't count how many times people tell someone taking Hellfire Warlock to take Bind Vestige for Naeberius).

Keld Denar
2011-08-06, 01:42 AM
What? Nobody's mentioned my miniguide? I'm hurt... I'd post it myself, but I'm on my phone...

Greenish
2011-08-06, 02:44 AM
Natural Weapons and You: A Mini-Guide. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10994.0) If there's still someone who hasn't read it.