PDA

View Full Version : I need a LV5 Paladin Class Feature Alt

Arty G
2011-08-05, 10:24 PM
Oh, followers of Lord Burlew the reasonably just and pretty funny (most of the time, anyway. Hey, I like him.), I beseech thee.

I'm building a 3.5ed Half-Elf Paladin of Pelor who's pretty handy with a greatsword, but the way I have her set up she is all about fighting on foot. That is to say, it would be out of character for her to fight from the back of a mount. I'd like to plan out this character a little better (as in, further than level 4), but I am really, really against putting her on horseback (or dogback or sharkback or ponyback or bronyback, etc.) and here's the kicker; I can't use homebrew stuff (so speaks the Dungeon Master).

So, if anybody here has a good alternate class feature for a 3.5ed fifth level paladin (that's regular, vanilla, caffeine free paladin, no Freedom, Slaughter or Tyranny added) AND can tell me what sourcebook they got it from (all my searches turn up either homebrew or totally fruitless), that would be great. I'm just looking for something in a sourcebook besides a mount. Can anybody lend a hand?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Quietus
2011-08-05, 10:28 PM
Underdark Knight (C.Champ, page 49?) trades your horse for some underground fighting bonuses. There's also a charging smite variant somewhere that trades your mount for bonus smite damage on charges, but I can;t remember where that one is found.

the_archduke
2011-08-05, 10:29 PM
PHB II Charging Smite ACF. Trade paladin mount for bonuses to a smite attack on a charge. Others will probably have more details.

edit: partially swordsaged, I had the source at least

Steward
2011-08-05, 10:30 PM
I think there's something really good in Dungeonscape, where you get a steadily advancing power or spirit instead of a mount.

SowZ
2011-08-05, 10:30 PM
Oh, followers of Lord Burlew the reasonably just and pretty funny (most of the time, anyway. Hey, I like him.), I beseech thee.

I'm building a 3.5ed Half-Elf Paladin of Pelor who's pretty handy with a greatsword, but the way I have her set up she is all about fighting on foot. That is to say, it would be out of character for her to fight from the back of a mount. I'd like to plan out this character a little better (as in, further than level 4), but I am really, really against putting her on horseback (or dogback or sharkback or ponyback or bronyback, etc.) and here's the kicker; I can't use homebrew stuff (so speaks the Dungeon Master).

So, if anybody here has a good alternate class feature for a 3.5ed fifth level paladin (that's regular, vanilla, caffeine free paladin, no Freedom, Slaughter or Tyranny added) AND can tell me what sourcebook they got it from (all my searches turn up either homebrew or totally fruitless), that would be great. I'm just looking for something in a sourcebook besides a mount. Can anybody lend a hand?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not sure if it would be what you are looking for, but there are a number of alternate features based on the answer to this question... Are you willing to give up turn undead?

Glimbur
2011-08-05, 10:32 PM
There's a Divine Spirit in Dungeonscape which you trade your mount for. It heals and stuff, I'm too lazy to read specifics.

PHB 2 has the Charging Smite, which also trades the mount. This time you get, naturally, bonuses when you charge and smite. Even better, if your smite misses when you charge it is not expended for the day.

Edit: You could ask questions like this in the Simple Questions by RAW thread. No big deal though.

Steward
2011-08-05, 10:36 PM
Okay, I found the Dungeonscape thing. It's on page 11.

Basically, instead of a mount you get to summon a spiritual being, and if you're summon it near or in the same square as you, it grants you certain powers such as fast healing and damage reduction depending on your class level. Honestly, just from a cursory read it looks like it's way better than the mount anyway.

Arty G
2011-08-05, 11:16 PM
I'm not sure if it would be what you are looking for, but there are a number of alternate features based on the answer to this question... Are you willing to give up turn undead?

Nope. Thanks anyway.

Okay, I found the Dungeonscape thing. It's on page 11.

Basically, instead of a mount you get to summon a spiritual being, and if you're summon it near or in the same square as you, it grants you certain powers such as fast healing and damage reduction depending on your class level. Honestly, just from a cursory read it looks like it's way better than the mount anyway.

Interesting... I'll look into that.

There's a Divine Spirit in Dungeonscape which you trade your mount for. It heals and stuff, I'm too lazy to read specifics.

PHB 2 has the Charging Smite, which also trades the mount. This time you get, naturally, bonuses when you charge and smite. Even better, if your smite misses when you charge it is not expended for the day.

Edit: You could ask questions like this in the Simple Questions by RAW thread. No big deal though.

Charging Smite, you say? I think I heard someone mention that maybe once before in my gaming goup, but I thought it was homebrew. If you say it's in PHB2, that's good enough for me (and my DM). It's going to be a toss up between this and Divine Spirit.

Concerning the EDIT: Oh, I didn't see the Simple Questions thing (failed a spot check IRL). If a mod takes issue with this, they can feel free to move it.

Greenish
2011-08-05, 11:21 PM
Cityscape's web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) has another variant, for urban paladins.

Arty G
2011-08-05, 11:30 PM
Cityscape's web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) has another variant, for urban paladins.

Took a look at that feature and... Holy crap! That is cool and will be taken into consideration along with Charging Smite and Divine Spirit. If the party needs a really good leader, this is probably what I'm going to go with.

Flickerdart
2011-08-05, 11:31 PM
CoV has Lion Legionnaire, which lets you replace your mount with Fly 1/day - at 10 minutes per level, it's pretty good.

Arty G
2011-08-05, 11:35 PM
CoV has Lion Legionnaire, which lets you replace your mount with Fly 1/day.

What's CoV stand for?

Greenish
2011-08-05, 11:38 PM
What's CoV stand for?Champions of Valor (sic).

SowZ
2011-08-05, 11:40 PM
What's CoV stand for?

Champions of Valor. (:

EDIT: Ninja'd