PDA

View Full Version : [PF]:Quick rules question.

Doorhandle
2011-08-05, 10:56 PM
Is there anything stopping me from being an Advanced Giant human, if i take the level adjustment, and if so would you as G.M allow it?

klemdakherzbag
2011-08-05, 11:24 PM
As a Pathfinder DM I would say no to both but yes to Giant only

DeMouse
2011-08-06, 01:35 AM
since pathfinder doesn't actually have a Level Adjustment system, no to any templates.

That said if you had a specific concept in mind I would try come up with a reasonable homebrew

Drelua
2011-08-06, 02:21 AM
As a DM, I'd be hesitant to allow it, but the rules aren't stopping you. I once took the advanced template twice rather than go through the trouble of using some home-brewed rules my DM found to go over level 20. Basically, just use your CR instead of ECL, since they're basically the same thing in Pathfinder, for all you 3.5 players reading this.

Xtomjames
2011-08-06, 10:50 AM
First off Pathfinder does have a Level Adjustment system. It's based on the CR of a creature not otherwise listed as a playable character race, but could potentially be used (like the Quickling). As a GM I'd say yes, the CR isn't that great and so long as it fits into the story and the level of the party was adequate I'd have no problems with it. (See pages 313-314 of the Bestiary, Monsters as PCs.)

Retech
2011-08-06, 05:06 PM
Ok, oh no. Watch this:

Young, Perpetually Drunk, Advanced, Triply Decrepit, Venerable, Loredrake, Spellhoarding, White Dragonspawn Abomination, Solar-Blessed, Demon-possessed, Devil-bound Kobold

Around +10 to all attributes, and the basic resistances of celestials, demons, devils, and dragons, as well as COUNTLESS extra thingies, at zero LA.

Drelua
2011-08-06, 05:39 PM
Ok, oh no. Watch this:

Young, Perpetually Drunk, Advanced, Triply Decrepit, Venerable, Loredrake, Spellhoarding, White Dragonspawn Abomination, Solar-Blessed, Demon-possessed, Devil-bound Kobold

Around +10 to all attributes, and the basic resistances of celestials, demons, devils, and dragons, as well as COUNTLESS extra thingies, at zero LA.

Assuming you've taken CR into account, you've found a way to abuse the system in a way that no DM in their right mind would allow. Its not like there's any way to get around LA in 3.5 :smalltongue:. It's not like he's asking if he could pull some ridiculous shenanigans like you just did, he's asking if he could take 2 +1 CR templates, which, by RAW and RAI, he can. The system can be abused; that's all you've proven, and I'm pretty sure we all knew that.

Paul H
2011-08-06, 05:50 PM
Hi

Or you could just play a Synthesist (Summoner Archetype).

Eventually you'll be able to increase the size of your Eidolon (Synthesists 'wear' theirs), and with Enlarge Person you'll be a kick butt Giant with exceptional AC/HP.

Thanks
PaulH

MeeposFire
2011-08-06, 06:01 PM
Hi

Or you could just play a Synthesist (Summoner Archetype).

Eventually you'll be able to increase the size of your Eidolon (Synthesists 'wear' theirs), and with Enlarge Person you'll be a kick butt Giant with exceptional AC/HP.

Thanks
PaulH

Sorry doesn't work anymore. The devs decided to avoid using the rules they wrote and to make up stuff as they go along and that is one of the things they axed in the FAQ (so says the other thread about synthesists).

Blisstake
2011-08-06, 07:12 PM
Ok, oh no. Watch this:

Well, first of all I'm not sure that PCs are allowed to take templates with a negative LA. I also don't think that having PCs change their age category alters their level in any way - if I remember correctly, that only applies to enemies. And how can you be young and venerable?

Also, out of curiousity where is Decrepit, Spellhoarding, and Dragonspawn Abomination? Are those newly released?

Prime32
2011-08-06, 07:58 PM
Also, out of curiousity where is Decrepit, Spellhoarding, and Dragonspawn Abomination? Are those newly released?The last two are 3.5

A simple house rule for this stuff: The total positive or negative CR adjustments of your templates cannot exceed your character level. (eg. a 3rd-level character could have no more than +3 of CR-increasing templates or -3 of CR-decreasing templates)
As you gain levels, templates become weaker anyway (a +1 CR template vs a level of wizard is an entirely different prospect depending on whether that level gets you 1st or 9th level spells)

Blisstake
2011-08-06, 08:05 PM
Ah, I see. And celestial-blessed, devil-pacted, and demon-possessed aren't official Paizo material either, now that I checked. I suppose DMs would also need to look at logic when putting templates together. Drunk, for example, is supposed to be for DMs who want to judge the experience given in an encounter, not a template you can just apply to someone.

Perpetually drunk does sound like fun, though :smallsmile:

Rixx
2011-08-06, 08:31 PM
Sorry doesn't work anymore. The devs decided to avoid using the rules they wrote and to make up stuff as they go along and that is one of the things they axed in the FAQ (so says the other thread about synthesists).

A Synthesist counts as both an outsider and their original type, whichever is worse for him. You can't enlarge yourself because of your outsider type, even though you also count as humanoid - in this case, being an outsider is worse for you. That isn't making up stuff as they go, that's sticking to the rules they made in the first place.

MeeposFire
2011-08-06, 10:31 PM
A Synthesist counts as both an outsider and their original type, whichever is worse for him. You can't enlarge yourself because of your outsider type, even though you also count as humanoid - in this case, being an outsider is worse for you. That isn't making up stuff as they go, that's sticking to the rules they made in the first place.

Summoners are able to cast enlarge person on their eidelon and the description for fused eidelon says that they get all eidelon special abilities which one of which is shared spells. So you don't cast enlarge person on yourself (that is dumb as doing so may dispel your eidelon if you get too big. You cast it on your eidelon and IT gets bigger. But they make up stuff saying that they don't get share spells even though it says they get the special abilities which includes share spells.

Arbane
2011-08-06, 10:51 PM
Here's one.

If someone's under both Fortune (once per turn, roll d20, keep the higher one) and Misfortune (every time you roll a d20, roll 2 and keep the lower one) hexes, what do they roll for their Fortunate roll that turn?

Larpus
2011-08-07, 01:26 AM
Here's one.

If someone's under both Fortune (once per turn, roll d20, keep the higher one) and Misfortune (every time you roll a d20, roll 2 and keep the lower one) hexes, what do they roll for their Fortunate roll that turn?
I'd say that they cancel each other out for the sake of simplicity.

But if that's not what you're out for, then it would be something like which one is "bigger" or if both are "equal" in power, make the oldest one affect and then the newest one takes its effect.

So if the character is subject to Fortune and then Misfortune, he makes a check, rolls second d20 and keeps the higher, but then rolls a third d20 and keeps the lowest.

Retech
2011-08-07, 10:32 AM
Decrepit is a template that James Jacobs made in response to an inquiry on the Paizo forums, which advances a creature one age category as one of the options.

So the venerable comes from having three decrepit templates put on.