PDA

View Full Version : Question about Extra turning

mudz78
2011-08-06, 12:44 AM
Hello,

I am not that well versed in PnP 3.5 and have a questions re: the Feat Extra Turning.

I have come across several threads on various boards that discuss the number of turns available for use with DMM and it seems that a lot of people are using class dips to create larger Extra Turning "pools". To illustrate:

Class 1 Turn Undead
Class 2 Turn Undead
Feat Extra Turning

Total Turns: Extra Turning * (Class 1 + Class 2) + CHA Turns

I'm not sure I follow the mechanic's involved though. I don't seem to have any of the source material that is being cited in said threads, so it is hard for me to verify whether the "pooling" effect is a result of class specific text, or as a result of how the actual Turn Undead class ability is interpreted.

I have currently been assuming that if I have the Extra turning feat, I only get the +4 turns once, regardless of how many class splits that i have giving me Turn Undead as an ability. Is this correct?

I would greatly appreciate anyone that could explain to me how the Extra Turning pools actually work.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT:

I would like to add the reason for my query. I am about to start playing in a Shackled City campaign under 3.5. It is a brand new campaign, all starting at level 1.

My plan has been to roll a DMM cleric and later go into Radiant Servant. Consequently, I would like to maximise the nunber of turns that I have available.

Build criteria as follows:

Setting: FR
STATS: 28 point buy

Source Material:
All Complete Books (Psionics banned)
PH
PH2
Book of Nine Swords
FR Campaign Setting
Players Guide to Faerun
Spell Compnedium

So far my build is looking like this:

Human (although I do need to read up on Lesser Assamir. edit, No i don't, DM just banned it ...)

Cleric 9/Radiant Servant (of Larthander) 5/Contemplative 1/Oracle 4/Paragnostic Apostle 1

I still need to do some more reading (for instance i just realised that I can get Extend for free if I take the planning domain), consider this more of a first draught ;), but currently is is my turns/day that have me concerned the most.

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-06, 02:16 AM
Gaining Turn Undead multiple times does nothing for you. The actual trick is gaining multiple pools of "Turn ___".

I started a thread a while back asking for optimization, and ended with three Turning pools (Turn Undead, Destroy Undead, and Rebuke Undead).

The reason that Extra Turning adds to all of them is because of this sentence: "If you have the ability to turn or rebuke more than one kind of creature each of your turning or rebuking abilities gains four additional uses per day. "

mudz78
2011-08-06, 02:39 AM
I started a thread a while back asking for optimization, and ended with three Turning pools (Turn Undead, Destroy Undead, and Rebuke Undead).

That's interesting. Seems as though Destroy Undead shouldn;t really apply in the DMM situation though as the RAW state: "You must spend one turn or rebuke attempt..."

Would Destroy Undead meet this criteria?

The reason that Extra Turning adds to all of them is because of this sentence: "If you have the ability to turn or rebuke more than one kind of creature each of your turning or rebuking abilities gains four additional uses per day. "

Understood. Thank you so much for clarifying that for me.

So what I am looking at now is optimising my # turns/day using only the source material listed in my first post.

So far I have narrowed down the sources of turns to:

CHA
Extra Turning
Undeath Domain

ANy PrC's that you can think of?

I am currently looking like Cleric 12/Contemplative1/Radiant Servant5, which leaves me 2 spare levels.

And the following feats (at level 18):

Extend, DMM, Persistent Spell, Extra Turning (Feat), Extra Turning (Undeath Domain), Feat(?), Feat (?).

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-06, 02:47 AM
Take a look at the threads I've started. I've got a level 10 build that gets 66 TU attempts. Extrapolating up to 18 wouldn't be difficult.

I've also got a thread that lists some really excellent spells to Persist.

Destroy Undead is specifically called out under the ACF description as being the same as TU for the purposes of fueling attempts.

Drglenn
2011-08-06, 02:53 AM
Gaining Turn Undead multiple times does nothing for you. The actual trick is gaining multiple pools of "Turn ___".

Emphasis mine to explain why that wouldn't work. I'd work if you had, say turn/rebuke elementals (from domains/whatever) then it'd, by RAW, add to all of them

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-06, 02:55 AM
\I'd work if you had, say turn/rebuke elementals (from domains/whatever)

Incorrect. Turn/Rebuke from other creatures do not fuel DMM; only Rebuke, Turn, and Destroy work for this purpose.

Drglenn
2011-08-06, 02:58 AM
Nono, I'm saying the feat wouldn't add all of turn undead, rebuke undead and destroy undead as they're all one creature type. If you add turn/rebuke elementals to that it'd add to turn undead, rebuke undead and turn/rebuke elementals

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-06, 03:49 AM
Nono, I'm saying the feat wouldn't add all of turn undead, rebuke undead and destroy undead as they're all one creature type. If you add turn/rebuke elementals to that it'd add to turn undead, rebuke undead and turn/rebuke elementals

The 'special' tag on the feat disagrees:

"Special: You can gain Extra Turning multiple times. Its effects stack. Each time you take the feat, you can use each of your turning or rebuking abilities four additional times per day."

mudz78
2011-08-06, 11:48 AM
So I've been hunting around for ways to get more turns, and there seems to be very little given that permitted source material. Guess I will just have to make do.

Thanks for you input.