PDA

View Full Version : Do you know Rule One, young man?

Eldan
2011-08-06, 06:58 AM
http://www.paulkidby.net/LUTZE%20WITH%20BONSAI.JPG

Ancient Master

Yes, you are old. Which means you've seen a hundred more adventures than anyone else, and you have still lived through it all.
Prerequisites: Age Old or older
Benefit: You may use your wisdom modifier instead of your dexterity modifier in all respects, if it is higher. Choose a single skill that is a class skill for any of your classes. You gain a +1 competence bonus to that skill, as well as on all attack rolls and on your armour class. This bonus increases by +1 for every five class levels you have.

Tiny old Man

You don't need to be huge to be impressive.
Prerequisites: Age Old or Older, Ancient Master
Benefits: You gain the Slight Build quality, allowing you to count as one size category smaller than you are whenever it would be advantageous to do so. Furthermore, you gain a +1 dodge bonus to your armour class.

Always smiling

:smallsmile:
Prerequisites: Ancient Master, Charisma 13+
Benefit: You can demoralize opponents within 30 feet of you, instead of just those you threaten, and you can do so as a swift action.
Special: If you also have the Tiny Old Man feat, you ignore all size modifiers to intimidate checks.

Kindly Old Teacher

Wax On, Wax Off
Prerequisites: Ancient Master, Intelligence 13+
Benefit: You may choose an intelligent creature as your student. Choosing a student takes a full 8 hours of uninterrupted activity for both of you, and you may only have a single student at a time. However, you may dismiss your student at any time and elect a new one.
As long as you and your student train for at least half an hour per day together (which takes an empty space of at least thirty feet in diameter and depends on you both being able to move freely), you may share your competence bonus from Ancient Master with that student. If you know any maneuvers (from tome of battle), you may choose a single maneuver every day. Your student can use that maneuver once per day.

Got a bit bored, wrote down some stuff.

Domriso
2011-08-06, 07:15 AM
Heh, I like these. They add a nice bit of flavor and are mechanically interesting.

Phosphate
2011-08-06, 01:07 PM
Ancient master is kinda...overpowered. And by kinda, I mean WHAT THE HELL?!

Eldan
2011-08-06, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure on that one. Old age is pretty hard on a character.

Where do you see overpowered applications?

Phosphate
2011-08-06, 01:22 PM
Um..dude. You're basically reducing the number of Saves you have to 2. Also, think about Tumble. And ranged aiming. And AC.

Eldan
2011-08-06, 01:24 PM
You still need a good reflex bonus to make much of a different after the low levels. You don't think that's balanced with a -3 to all physical stats?

And what about tumble? So you add wisdom to tumble. I don't see the big deal.

Phosphate
2011-08-06, 01:28 PM
It's not -3. It's -1 Str, -2 Dex, -3 Con. Or am I missing something?

Terazul
2011-08-06, 01:46 PM

You are. Aging penalties apply to all 3 stats equally.

Doesn't seem that wacky. The only thing it might be silly on is maybe a Druid, which are already silly; Just makes other Wis-based classes a little less MAD overall.

Eldan
2011-08-06, 02:01 PM
Not even that bad on druids. I mean, what do they need dex for, really? It's an AC and reflex bonus for them, and they can get tons of those anyway. Also, they have more important feats to take.

Seerow
2011-08-06, 02:11 PM
I'd say make Ancient Master only apply to things Dex applies to by default. For example, Wis replaces Dex for AC bonus and initiative, sure. But you can't use this feat combined with say Shadow Blade or Crossbow Sniper to get wis to damage.

Terazul
2011-08-06, 02:18 PM
Eh, I'd say it's still fine as-is. With that, you'd still be taking two feats just to get half Wis to damage, and full for attacks on crossbows. While still having a dex penalty for all the ranged related feats. And with Shadow Blade still being restricted to a handful of weapons. Still alot of work for little returns, unless I'm missing some crazy X to Y thing that would be gamebreaking :smallconfused:.

lothofkalroth
2011-08-06, 02:43 PM
Interesting. I like the Always Smiling bit. :smallsmile:

Amoren
2011-08-06, 10:02 PM
Ancient master is kinda...overpowered. And by kinda, I mean WHAT THE HELL?!

Think about it on a Dragonwrought Kobold!

BillyBobJoe
2011-08-06, 10:05 PM

Actually, it gives you a cumulative penalty to all physical stats, which ends up as -3 to all at old age.

Rainbownaga
2011-08-06, 10:27 PM
How would ancient master work with wildshape? If you took the form of something powerful but with a very low dex (as you would normally) would you still be able to apply your wisdom for AC?

As a dedicated wildshaper you would be sacrificing -3 con points worth of hit points and gaining wisdom to armorclass (stacks with monk) and a scaling bonus to attack and to a skill.

And this just for a feat.

Plus the fact that druids have a class ability that lets them get the benefits of aging without the drawbacks.

That sounds a little overpowered.

Terazul
2011-08-06, 10:44 PM
How would ancient master work with wildshape? If you took the form of something powerful but with a very low dex (as you would normally) would you still be able to apply your wisdom for AC?

As a dedicated wildshaper you would be sacrificing -3 con points worth of hit points and gaining wisdom to armorclass (stacks with monk) and a scaling bonus to attack and to a skill.

And this just for a feat.

Plus the fact that druids have a class ability that lets them get the benefits of aging without the drawbacks.

That sounds a little overpowered.
Yeah, that definitely sounds like Druids are overpowered.:smallwink:

Wyntonian
2011-08-06, 11:31 PM
Honestly? I like it. If the wildshape thing becomes an issue, make it only apply to humanoids. Honestly, unless a druid is looking to shatter a game in a unique way, they might get a slight bonus from this at high levels. Or they could take natural spell and be done with it.

Yitzi
2011-08-06, 11:58 PM
Not even that bad on druids. I mean, what do they need dex for, really? It's an AC and reflex bonus for them, and they can get tons of those anyway. Also, they have more important feats to take.

They also get a boost to their ranged touch attacks, useful at low levels.

The one druid build that it really helps, though, is the variant druid from UA (give up wildshape, armor and shields, get various monk and ranger features.) With this feat, such a build can reach 65 AC (52 touch) by level 20, while still having excellent offense and tactical/utility capability. (This is assuming MM races only; Jermlaine makes the build pretty broken, though not tier-2 broken, even without the feat.)

Eldan
2011-08-07, 06:20 AM
Honestly? I like it. If the wildshape thing becomes an issue, make it only apply to humanoids.

Probably a good idea. Humanoids, monstrous humanoids and giants only. "Mortals", so to speak.

Wyntonian
2011-08-07, 11:06 AM
Probably a good idea. Humanoids, monstrous humanoids and giants only. "Mortals", so to speak.

I can't wait to see a 60-foot tall storm giant with the Tiny Old Man feat. Hawesome.

Eldan
2011-08-07, 11:41 AM
Still tiny for his kind. And he'd only count as large.