PDA

View Full Version : Turning Horror into Game Session

McQ
2011-08-06, 07:31 AM
Recently rewatched the 2002 movie "Darkness." And was thinking, despite some plot holes, it really had a lot to work with for a D&D session.

I've been wanting to work on a House of Horrors scenario, and wondered if any of you with knowledge of the movie and savvy DMing skills have an idea of how to work all aspects into an exciting adventure for players?

Basic portions are:
The special construction of the house and secrecy of its building (reminds me of Ghostbusters and that apartment tower) is a great starter for leg work (before the horror starts)
The house's animative features that progressively gain power and ability
The potential missing "seventh" child needed to finish the ritual
The three hag/demon/mothers that seem to manifest the Darkness' mental trickery
The six children ghosts
The eclipse and the power of the Darkness working in shadow
The cultists masquerading as "allies" tricking those involved to fulfill their ulterior motives

Now, I really like that aspect of necessary light being present to keep the darkness at bay. Loved it in Pitch Black.
There's the urgency of the eclipse coming in a few days, and as it draws nearer the power of the Darkness grows stronger. It starts to affect the PCs mentally at first, and on occasion can cause physical harm.

I'd replace what is occurring with the father to be divide amongst the players, or maybe involve a family living currently in the house?

So..if you have seen the movie and want to give it a shot as to how you'd set up, lets say, "Chapters" in this scenario (much like each day is done in the movie) put it down and maybe we can all collaborate?

Saintheart
2011-08-06, 07:37 AM
Not much more than general comments to offer, but what sort of level are you planning to have the party at for this adventure?

My working theory is that the higher the levels of the players, the less daunted they're going to be by horror elements since there'll usually be a spell or class feature that can kill it or overleap it. This was a big impression left on me by the Age of Worms adventure path: the lengths that you have to go to in order to keep players in certain rooms or out of certain rooms are far, far more extensive past level 10 than, say, at level 4-6 or so.