PDA

View Full Version : That First Campaign... memories

Strormer
2011-08-06, 12:49 PM
Hullo.
So, I was feeling nostalgic and figured I'd put this up. How many people remember how they started their first campaign way back when you first started DMing?

Mine started with all of the PC's heading towards the tavern only to find a huge brawl when they got to it. Before they knew it the PC's were either fighting or hiding in front of the tavern. The local guards came and arrested everyone and all the PC's start in the same cell of the town prison. There they learn of the plot and each other. Take that, starting in a tavern!:smallbiggrin:

Calimehter
2011-08-06, 01:12 PM
Ah, its never *quite* the same after the first time . . .

My first D&D DMing was a simple solo adventure back in AD&D 2nd ed., involving a PC ranger on an information gathering expidition into the mountains, and ended up clearing a bunch of mephits out of a simple cave system and rescuing a waylaid traveler. Pretty standard stuff.

My first GMing ever involved a bunch of cadets at a Mechwarrior training academy, which still lives on in the lore of our game group (we've been together for more than 2 decades now) because a series of insanely lucky die rolls got the plucky cadets out of a big jam when their merc trainers decided to bail on their contract and steal a bunch of academy mechs, only to be thwarted by the less well equipped and less skilled cadets. Critical hits galore, including a rather spectacular charge attack against a Rifleman that knocked it out right on the loading ramp of the dropship. Everybody seemed to enjoy the 'traditional' school shenanigans that went on before the big fight too (showing up and pranking rivals).

The only downside was/is that several times a year I (still!) get accused of deliberately losing those character sheets because they were too lucky. :smalleek:

ThreeDSix
2011-08-07, 05:06 PM
Had a party of level 6 characters defend a city from a barbarian invasion. Barbie shamans used a spell to knock part of the wall down and the PCs were around to defend the breach.
The campaign was glorious, epic and ultimately horribly broken, but it was great.:smallbiggrin:

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-07, 08:34 PM
My first campaign was actually somewhat thorough for first campaigns, 8-21 and technically it isn't over yet... Started out with the cliche "You make up in a prison with ridiculously poor security" and then they had to save a princess. After that I had the party attempt to save a kingdom from undead (fail) help rebuild that kingdom (Then watch as they let it get overrun through a pc betrayal that they were too afraid to fight). Right now they started fighting the BBEG but due to summer and everyone having vacations we haven't been able to finish it, even though its practically over and looks like its going to be a tpk... It helps for the first campaign to have players that are okay with being railroaded, in fact my players seem to insist on being railroaded...