PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Skirnir Magus Advice Needed

Valairn
2011-08-06, 01:44 PM
I'm building a Skirnir Magus from Ultimate Combat in a campaign I'm playing, and I was wondering what people thought some "mandatory" feats were for the build.

I have one additional thing to mention, my character gets Hexes as if I was a witch of the same level, a template I just acquired and I don't know what hexes to pick either.

Level 10 Human Magus
25 Str
16 Dex
14 Con
24 Int
8 Wis
10 Cha
Bonus Feats From Template:
Combat Casting
Combat Expertise
Exotic Weapon Falcata

Feats Picked:
Bonus Traits(Magical Lineage and Reactionary)
Extra Magus Arcana
Intensified Spell
Improved Shield Bash
Two-Weapon Fighting

3 Feats left and 1 Bonus Magus Feat

I'm mainly asking cause after foraging through all the books I have so many options I'm kind of... :O

Unseenmal
2011-08-06, 01:55 PM
Don't you need 1 free hand to be able to cast spells as a magus? That would negate your Two Weapon Fighting feat choice. I could be wrong but I thought that was the rule...

Valairn
2011-08-06, 01:59 PM
The Skirnir archetype lets you use a shield during spell combat at level 8.

Unseenmal
2011-08-06, 02:15 PM
The Skirnir archetype lets you use a shield during spell combat at level 8.

I did not know that...interesting. I wanted to play a magus so I think my next PF char will be a Skirnir magus

Larpus
2011-08-06, 02:58 PM
If you haven't already, this guide (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/-walter-s-lab/embedded-magus) sounds like a nice start, so give it a read.

Anyway, most people (me included) don't have access to UC quite yet, could you post the full list of changes that the archetype puts on the Magus?

9mm
2011-08-06, 03:07 PM
If you haven't already, this guide (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/community-creations/-walter-s-lab/embedded-magus) sounds like a nice start, so give it a read.

Anyway, most people (me included) don't have access to UC quite yet, could you post the full list of changes that the archetype puts on the Magus?

if you don't have UC, save your money. When it's not trying to be Oriental Adventures lite, its falling head over heels trying to make the gun rules no-one had ever liked during the playtest work because Paizo's dev team can't accept guns in D&D.

Skirnir is basicly your standard magnus able to also buff his shield in return for less spells.

Valairn
2011-08-06, 03:57 PM
if you don't have UC, save your money. When it's not trying to be Oriental Adventures lite, its falling head over heels trying to make the gun rules no-one had ever liked during the playtest work because Paizo's dev team can't accept guns in D&D.

Skirnir is basicly your standard magnus able to also buff his shield in return for less spells.

I would ask, you don't bring opinions like this into my thread. I don't want to start a book debate. There are better places to talk about the quality of a product.

Rixx
2011-08-06, 09:17 PM
I, for one, am very happy with Ultimate Combat. I think it's the best rules supplement since the APG.

Larpus
2011-08-07, 01:29 AM
Well, I don't have it yet, so I'll reserve my better judgement to when I see the finished deal.

Anyway, the only reason I asked the OP to post the archetype change is to increase the amount of people who can give him advice, which so far can only include those who have UC.

Psyren
2011-08-07, 02:19 AM
Slumber is a great hex because it's a SoD that ignores SR, has no HD limit and only takes a standard action.

Ward is nice provided you don't prepare any spells that give you a deflection bonus. You can use this to shore up your defenses until (and even after) you get access to heavier armor.

Prehensile Hair gives you nice reach and a secondary attack to tack onto your routine. Depending on your buffs you could get a decent amount of damage or other effects out of it.

Fortune is just all-around good - giving the entire party free rerolls is phenomenal.

The Healing hex appears to give you unlimited out of combat healing; is this the case?

Arbane
2011-08-07, 04:52 AM
Ward is nice provided you don't prepare any spells that give you a deflection bonus. You can use this to shore up your defenses until (and even after) you get access to heavier armor.

You can't use the Ward hex on yourself, unfortunately.

Prehensile Hair gives you nice reach and a secondary attack to tack onto your routine. Depending on your buffs you could get a decent amount of damage or other effects out of it.

Prehensile Hair should work for delivering touch spells, right?

Fortune is just all-around good - giving the entire party free rerolls is phenomenal.

The thing to remember with Fortune is that it only lasts one round unless you use Cackle, too (which uses your Move action for the round). And it can't be used twice on the same person in one day.

The Healing hex appears to give you unlimited out of combat healing; is this the case?

Healing an unlimited number of people, sure. But like Fortune, you can only use it once per day on any one subject. (Otherwise, it would singlehandedly render Clerics obsolete... :smallbiggrin: )

If you do grab Fortune and Cackle, Misfortune is another good one. If the DM uses any sort of 'fumble' rules, this greatly increases the likelihood of enemies decapitating themselves, and it makes them blow even MORE saving throws against the rest of your "save or (whatever)" tricks.

Other potentially useful Hexes for a Magus include Flight (at 5th level, you can fly, and it's a Su power) and Evil Eye (multi-use debuff, and saving against it only lowers the duration).

Psyren
2011-08-07, 05:16 AM
Bah, missed that about Ward. Scratch that one then.

Yes, natural attacks can be used to deliver touch spells, and you won't provoke an AoO for doing so. (Casting the spell, however, provokes as normal if you're in a threatened square.)

Fortune lasts one round at early levels, but lasts longer as you gain more. And it's still very useful if you or someone else is about to try something - for instance, you Fortune yourself before trying to Tumble past an enemy, or Fortune the rogue before he disarms a tricky trap, or fortune the barbarian before he initiates a grapple/trip. It has a dozen uses.

Glad I misread Healing, that would have been borked :smalltongue: (By PF standards anyway.)

Valairn
2011-08-07, 07:31 PM
The Hex choices are all very helpful, do you think its worth it to invest in anymore feats for my shield, or should I just leave it as is wit being able to use it during a full attack?