PDA

View Full Version : Defense Force H: New Beginnings

DaedalusMkV
2011-08-06, 02:25 PM
The formation of a new Defense Force team is never a simple exercise, especially when most of the new members have no previous experience as mercenaries and relatively little experience using their Powers at all. It's been a long process to train, educate and simply introduce all of the new Defence Force members to each other and, to the greatest possible extent, forge them into a cohesive team. After months of this, the heroes are beginning to grow restless. As you all wait in Team H's offices in the Defense Force headquarters in Washington DC for whatever assignment the corporate higher-ups will be handing you today, a message comes over the intercom. You all immediately recognize Lieutenant Colonel Aryn's voice. "Defense Force H members, please report to briefing room 2." It's not a long walk to the briefing room, and when you arrive the Colonel, Dr. Powell and two men you don't recognize occupy places near the large screen at the front of the room. The Colonel speaks up as soon as you enter the room. "Please, take a seat. It looks like we're finally ready to send you on your first mission together."

The briefing room is a small lecture theatre, with a large flatscreen on one wall with a desk and a few chairs in front of it, and 20 seats divided between three tiers on the opposite side of the room. The lighting in the room is dim, and the chairs are all designed to be as comfortable as possible. It's far bigger than your small team needs, but most Defense Force units are quite a bit larger than yours and quite a bit less individually poweful.

OOC:

Feel free to interact with each other on the way to the briefing room if you want to, or just to skip ahead to this point in the narrative. IC you should all be fairly familiar weath each other and your Powers by this point, but it might be useful to interact a little bit and get a feel for each other OOC before the action starts.

When you're ready, we'll work through the briefing itself and get you on your way to the mission, assuming you choose to accept it.

Starsign
2011-08-06, 02:37 PM
Kurt, aka Sgt. Material was the first to enter. "I am ready to begin. Just need to wait for the others now... he remarked as he got comfortable, waiting on the other members of his team in the meantime. He kept his clothing light. A simple white t-shirt and jeans would do him good at the moment. His army jacket and leggings however were held over his shoulder in case he had to put them on immediately. He looked over at Nanoguard, who he had worked with for awhile now. "Have promise for the new recruits?"

EdroGrimshell
2011-08-06, 03:12 PM
Kagami walked in right after, as one of the newer members in DFH, as it was sometimes called, she had the least training out of all the members and was still relatively new to her powers. Currently she had the "pool" of energy she used to manifest her powers at her core, that is, not invested in her abilities yet.

She gave a lax salute to the people in the room before sitting next to Sgt. Material and pulling out a notebook and a mechanical pencil from her jacket pocket and openning to the first clean page. Taking notes was always useful, regardless of what it was for.

Jallorn
2011-08-06, 03:31 PM
Even as he responds to Kurt, Crane is already searching all the computers he has access to for any information on these two men, You'd be a better judge of that than me Sarge, although I will say it'll be interesting having the oversight agent actually joining us on missions rather than simply observing. Actually, I'm still getting used to the shift from being the rookie to being one of the veterans of the team.* Crane, too, is dressed casually, wearing a t-shirt and sweats. Otherwise though, he looks formal, his hair is neat, his chin clean shaven, and he's sitting straight up, fully alert.

*This can change if you wanted to have been with the team for a while Niezck.

Also, using Datalink to search DFH's computers, the internet, and anywhere else Crane has easy access to.

Niezck
2011-08-06, 03:45 PM
Walking into the room with his plain black tuxedo, Clone glances around before taking a seat in silence. He looks each of the members in the eyes briefly, taking in everything he can. Then, turning to the Colonel he speaks up.

"Mind if I light up, Colonel?"

He reaches into his inner suit pocket and pulls out a cigar, but no lighter.

Nah that's fine. Could be quite fun to have had him just being in an admin role before, but now taking an active part in the team.

Starsign
2011-08-06, 04:01 PM
Sgt. Material shakes his head as he looks at the Colonel. "Colonel I'd be against that. That man is rather... crafty. I can't often figure out his ideas and what he can come up with can be... off-putting, to say the least."

Niezck
2011-08-06, 04:31 PM
Clone looks at the Sergeant quizzically, putting the cigar away.

"It's... a cigar. What exactly are you expecting it to do?"

Starsign
2011-08-06, 04:36 PM
"Something, I'm not sure what but something. And I'd rather you not smoke inside anyway."

Niezck
2011-08-06, 04:42 PM
Clone raises an eyebrow.

"Riiiiight..."

Turning to the Colonel, he speaks solemly, trying not to laugh.

"You're sure every member of the Force has been checked for psych, Colonel?"

EdroGrimshell
2011-08-06, 04:46 PM
"I don't like the smoke, so I'd prefer you not," Kagami says, "No offense but smoking is a horrible habit."

Jallorn
2011-08-06, 08:23 PM
My preference would also be that you not smoke. Not for health concerns, but just because they stink. Besides, you don't want to give the kid cancer before she can earn her paycheck, do you? Crane chuckles at his own joke before turning to the man on the left, Well, Mr. Roberts, shall we begin?

DaedalusMkV
2011-08-07, 01:53 AM
Colonel Aryn watches the argument with an odd expression on his face, and the leftmost of the two strangers seems to noticably recoil at Nanoguard's statement, after which the Colonel states, "Er, right. Smoking in the building is against company policy anyways. We can begin the briefing now, yes?" He looks around, waiting for a reply for a few moments, then continues. "Good. What we've got for you today is a contract from the Department of Defense, which we received all of two hours ago. Apparently, they lost contact with one of their top-secret facilities here in Maryland some time late this morning, and they want us to send a team to investigate. We'll be receiving our standard single-operation fee, and since this one comes straight from the DoD we don't have to worry about government oversight either. Mr. Roberts here can give you more details on the mission." He gestures to the man on the left, who walks towards the center of the briefing room.

Roberts isn't a tall man, standing barely more than 5'6 and is slightly overweight. Nonetheless he wears a crisp blue business suit and carries some sort of remote in his left hand. He's clearly well used to presenting; he speaks fluidly and without any hint of nervousness or hesitation. "We lost contact with our Hope Valley research facility at 9:30 this morning, just over four hours ago. All subsequent attempts to reach the base's security team or access its remote network have failed, though we did receive confirmation that the facility's alarm system was activated just before communications went dark. Given the nature of the base and its security, we have strong reason to believe that at least one and possibly more superpowered individuals are involved in the attack. There's simply no other way they could have overcome our security team before they could report back to their superiors. Equally importantly, we believe that the base's automated defenses and security systems are still intact and functional."

He clears his throat and hits a button on the remote, which displays a series of schematics and pictures of what seems to be some sory of machine-gun turret, motion and heat sensors and security doors at least 10 feet thick. "All of this is why we've chosen to employ Defense Force for this mission. The simple fact is that this situation is far too dangerous for baseline humans; even our most skilled combat teams are predicted to take casualties bringing the base back under control, our own Metahuman forces are currently unavailable, such as they are, and we can't afford to employ an independent 'vigilante' in a top-secret facility. If you choose to take on the mission, I can provide you with further details on the mission. For now, do you have any questions?" He looks around expectantly as he waits for a response.

The more tech-oriented among you would be able to glean any details you might want to from those schematics. Send me a PM of what your character would want to learn from them, and I'll send you a response.

Sorry if things got a little long-winded there. Sadly, briefings tend to involve a lot of talking.

Feel free to respond however you want and ask whatever questions you think might be valid. I won't promise that Roberts will answer all of them until you agree to take on the mission (or at all, in some cases), though.

Jallorn
2011-08-07, 02:01 AM
I presume standard nondisclosure agreements will be in order? Crane is simultaneously analyzing and absorbing the detail on the screen, even as he asks questions, What is the likelihood that the enemy has been able to turn the base's defenses and security grid to their control? What information can you give me about the base computers that might allow me to hack in if that should be the case?

EdroGrimshell
2011-08-07, 02:28 AM
Kagami listens intently and shivers slightly, she was not expecting her first job on the team to be recapturing a base that was taken over by superhumans so fast that the security team could not get a transmission through in time. AS the current newest member she'd have little sway in the matter, and they'd likely take the mission even if they didn't like it, so Kagami decided to ask a question of her own, "What kind of enemies do you think we will encounter? I'd like to be prepared for them before heading out and with my abilities a wrong choice could prove fatal." Going through her array of powers, she'd likely have to use her healing factor, probably maxing it out, unless the place had a lead lining X-ray vision was also something she'd probably be using, everything else hinged on the answer to her question.

Jallorn
2011-08-07, 02:42 AM
Given the information we have so far, my recommendation would be to use you primarily as a scout in this venture Kagami. Invisibility, phasing, possibly super speed would all be useful. Actually, those turrets could be annoying, and I'm sure the government would prefer to get them back intact, so some sort of ability to obscure their detection system would be useful.

I'm actually a little uncertain. I took a glance at Kagami's sheet, and it occurs to me that she may not be capable of phasing and super speed. Well, if she isn't I'll just have it be a misconception on Crane's part, he extrapolated from what he had seen.

My technological knowledge tells me that we would need Obscure (All Visual) to get past the turrets.

EdroGrimshell
2011-08-07, 02:57 AM
"I have a few ideas, but most of them depend on me being able to see through the walls with my dragon's eye, which brings up another question, is there a lead lining in the walls? If not i can probably locate the targets or disable the security system from an outside access panel, or just have Sgt. here or myself tear into part of the wall and cut a main wire, either way works really."

Jallorn
2011-08-07, 03:42 AM
Why disable something we could turn to our own use? Remember to keep in mind the capabilities of your allies.

Starsign
2011-08-07, 06:22 AM
Kurt leans back on his chair, thinking for a moment before responding, "What was the layout of the building before the attack? Any choke-points or big, open areas to watch out for? Any vulnerable spots in the building that would be dangerous for us to be or an area to strike at?

Niezck
2011-08-07, 06:25 AM
Clone remains silent through the briefing, simply watching. When finished, he thinks aloud.

"Auto-turrets you say? Should be easy enough..."

He pauses for a moment in thought.

"Hey, Nano, will those things be knocked out of action with a little darkness or are we talking heat sensors and such? I guess, if worst comes to worst I could just throw enough of me at each turret to overwhelm it, but I'd really rather not."

Jallorn
2011-08-07, 11:40 AM
Heat sensors, the works. Individually, they're not much threat, but together, well, let's just say that we aren't quite equivalent to an army.

DaedalusMkV
2011-08-07, 12:26 PM
Roberts replies to each question. "Yes, we've implemented the standard NDA. It's pretty damned unlikely that the enemy will have been able to subvert our security measures. Unless they have some sort of technopath with them, our security codes are the best in the world. It'd take the best hacker we've ever seen months to crack them. You will, of course, be provided with access codes to the base systems, but we believe the enemy is using some sort of intense jamming device in the region; it's the best explanation for why we haven't been able to reach the base's automated systems, so you'll probably have to manually imput the codes in the base's security computers to gain control."

He coughs lightly, then steps to the side and presses another button and the image on the display screen changes to a blurry, poorly rendered image that seems to show some sort of bulky figure. It's nearly impossible to make out. "This is all we have on the attackers, transmitted from one of our cameras shortly before we lost contact. Mr Greene," He gestures towards the other stranger, a bald, dark-skinned man in a black suit who seems almost to blend into the background and hasn't said a word so far. "Has informed me that this is a 6-foot-4 man wearing heavy medieval full-plate and wielding a sword." The other man speaks up, rather quietly, at this point, sounding rather bored. "15th century style reproduction Germanic full-plate and a 14th century Zweihander, all made of titanium. Heavy as sin." "Right... Other than that... We have no idea. They've done a very good job at keeping any information from leaving the site, and until one of them steps outside or we reestablish contact with the base this is all we've got."
He quickly pulls a notebook out of his pocket and reads for a moment, then returns it. "The turrets are expendable. The base's walls contain a fine, lead wire-mesh, but the doors do not. If only lead blocks your vision, then you should be able to see through them just fine. I'm afraid that the specific layout of the building is classified. I can't give it to you until you agree to the mission. I can say, however, that there is only one entrance, and it is well protected by turrets. It should be considered the most dangerous location in the base, barring the main..." He trails off, as though he was about to say something then thought better of it.

Starsign
2011-08-07, 04:59 PM
Kurt spoke up about the activation codes. "Nanoguard should be able to input them from a distance." He had a somewhat confused expression on his face as the briefing was heard. "Medieval full-plate? I wouldn't have thought such things to have been practical these days." He kept quiet however until the Colonel cut himself off. "Sir, is there something wrong? What is this Main area you were about to speak of?"

EdroGrimshell
2011-08-08, 01:09 PM
Kagami takes in the information, but she doesn't have any other questions, any more information from the others she'll copy into the notebook but that's all.

DaedalusMkV
2011-08-09, 12:41 AM
Roberts shrugs. "Neither would I, although apparently when you make it out of titanium it's actually pretty tough. Whoever that is would have to be as strong as an ox to carry it, though. As to the rest... It's also classified. Look, we've already got the contract all ready for you to sign, and when that's finished you'll have temporary security clearance to know all of these things." He sounds slightly frustrated, but glances hesitantly over at the man he called Greene; he clearly thinks that this is important for you to know, but he's not willing to actually break the rules to tell you. Colonel allen shuffles around with some paper on the desk, then pulls four copies of a short contract out of a pile and walks to the group. "Standard contracts. Once you sign these, you're obligated to finish the mission to the best of your ability. In my opinion, you should be able to handle this, but the final say is always yours." He gives one of the contracts to each of the Defense Force agents, as well as Clone.

EdroGrimshell
2011-08-09, 12:50 AM
Kagami nods and reads the contract before signing, it was a force of habit after seeing so many people that just skipped over it "getting completely screwed over," in her brothers words.

Making sure there are no loopholes or anything Kagami channels some of her reserve to enhance her reasoning skills and memory for a time as well as her ability to apply it.

Splitting Power Reserve to increase Int by 12 and Wis by 20 to bring both to 30
Int Check: [roll0]
Wis Check: [roll1]

Those are both to find any loopholes or anything else exploitable in the contract.

Niezck
2011-08-09, 01:36 AM
Reading it through thoroughly... Twice... Clone makes sure the contract is to his liking before penning his name and handing it back.

Jallorn
2011-08-09, 01:52 AM
Rapidly looking over the form, Crane processes the information for a second before signing if it's all to his liking.

Starsign
2011-08-09, 08:21 AM
Kurt views over the contract multiple times before deciding whether it sign it if it's to his liking.

DaedalusMkV
2011-08-10, 01:17 AM
The contract is the standard Defense Force single-operation contract, and it's been well examined by the company's lawyers before being put into production. The most notable thing about it is that once signed, you are legally obligated to pursue the mission despite threat of greivous injury or death, though not if failure is a virtual guarantee or the actual content of the mission varies significantly from what you've been told beforehand. Also of note is that once it's been signed, there is no possible way for the other party to get out of paying your fee, thanks to mandatory insurance and a few other more impenetrable Legalese clauses.

It also guarantees that you will not share any information about the mission or your client with any party outside of Defense Force inc., and a clause has been added on in which you agree not to share any information about the DoD facility the mission will take place in with anyone outside of Defense Force H, including the rest of the company.

Clone, yours is a little bit different: Because you aren't a Defense Force employee, you are not obligated to see the mission through and are not being paid, and have the right to cancel the mission if you feel that it is violating United States interests, though you will obviously need to justify such an action to a government review panel later on.

EdroGrimshell
2011-08-10, 01:13 PM
Kagami signs the contract and hands it back quietly then adjusts her glasses, with two fingers, not angry, not even annoyed, a sign for a good day in the group, she gets angry and a sharp tongue isn't always what you have to watch out for.

Niezck
2011-08-10, 01:17 PM
Clone signs the contract after reading it thoroughly.

"So, can we get the real information now?"

Starsign
2011-08-11, 10:22 AM
Kurt willingly signs the contact after extended review of it and hands it over. "We are prepared then. What info is there that we are to receive now that we have agreed to your terms?"

Jallorn
2011-08-11, 10:58 AM
Indeed, says Crane, handing back his signed contract, we will need all the information you can give us.

DaedalusMkV
2011-08-11, 02:26 PM
Colonel Aryn collects the contracts and returns them to their pile on the table, then heads back to the front of the room. "Alright, Roberts, go ahead. I'm fairly curious myself, seeing as how this wasn't included in my briefing materials either."

Roberts shrugs, then hits another button on his remote causing the screen to display an image of what seems to be a blueprint for the base. "This is the base's layout, with a few notable features highlighted, including the locations of the defense turrets, assuming they're still functional. This facility is a recearch facility that houses several of our scientists, but the most important of them is a man named Heinz Zimmer." At this, Doctor Powell seems rather shocked. "Zimmer? Oh no..." Roberts nods in response to her outburst, the first thing she's said since the briefing began. "Yes indeed. Dr. Zimmer is really something remarkable; he's built several devices which outright contradict our understanding of physics, and quite frankly he's either figured out a way to bypass the innate restrictions of the universe or he's so far ahead of the rest of humanity's understanding of science that we just can't understand what he's doing. Unfortunately, he's also more than a little bit insane. We've never been able to get a comprehensible answer from him about any of his... Inventions. He also tends a little bit towards the paranoid, and insisted on a lockdown function in case 'they' came for him. We believe that Zimmer is the target of this attack, and we believe that he managed to access that lockdown function."
Almost as an afterthought, Roberts triggers the remote again and the screen changes to an image of an elderly-looking white-haired man with thick glasses and wearing a labcoat. "Until the security alert from the central control console is deactivated, Zimmer's lab is sealed off behind six feet of reinforced concrete and six inches of vehicle-grade titanium, not to mention the heaviest security door in the facility and whatever technological sorcery Zimmer installed himself. As such, you'll need to pursue this mission in three steps; identify and eliminate the enemy forces inside the research lab, cancel the security lockdown at the central security console, then enter Zimmer's lab and secure it until our own forces arrive to take him to a safehouse until we can figure out how our security was breached. You... Well, you should expect Zimmer to be both well-armed and potentially hostile. I suggest you try to talk him down rather than fighting, but that's up to you." He scratches his chin thoughtfully. "That's everything I can think of. You have anything to add, Mr. Greene?"

The black-suited man looks at Roberts for a moment. "Yes. If it appears Zimmer may be captured by the enemy, kill him. In the hands of our country's enemies, Zimmer would be a threat on a level with a nuclear weapon. Also, my analysis of these events suggests that there are between four and six hostiles and they are capable of evading detection by the sensors attached to our turrets." He is abrupt, cold and to the point, and Roberts is clearly quite frightened of the man.

The base's layout. Done in Paint, so I appologize if it's a bit rough.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp244/DaedalusV2/DFHBaseLayout.jpg

EdroGrimshell
2011-08-11, 02:37 PM
Kagami nods, "Alright, I'd prefer not to have to kill anyone but we'll do whatever is necessary to accomplish this job," she looks to everyone else waiting to see there reactions.

Jallorn
2011-08-11, 02:37 PM
If there's nothing else we need to know, then let's get going.

Starsign
2011-08-11, 07:38 PM
Kurt nodded in agreement with the mission. He had no obvious look of worry, he was fine with killing if needed. "I believe that's it then. Are we ready to go then?" He asked the rest as he began to stand up

Niezck
2011-08-11, 07:54 PM
A twinkle in his eye, Clone stood and bowed his head to the colonel and company. Then, turning to Kurt he gestured toward the door.

"After you, Kurt."

DaedalusMkV
2011-08-12, 02:12 AM
Seeing that the heroes are ready to depart, Roberts nods at them. "Good luck."

Colonel Aryn opens the briefing room door for you and begins leading the way to the elevators, presumably planning to take you to the rooftop helicopter pads. Doctor Powell follows behind, and speaks up in a worried voice. "I worked with Zimmer once before, and I've never been able to decide if he's a genius or a nutjob. Roberts was probably underemphasizing the danger he poses, though; I've known him to put together a deathray out of pieces of scrap before, and he once nearly killed a janitor who he thought was an assassin. I'll be on call if you need me, assuming you can get through Roberts' theoretical jamming." She then splits off, heading for one of the building's server rooms in the event you need her expertise.

When you get to the elevator, Aryn pushes the button for the roof and turns around. "I'm a little bit worried about this one, I'll admit. I'm certain that Greene fellow knew more than he was letting on. Regardless, the research facility is just under an hour away by helicopter, so you'll have a bit of time to get ready. I've already arranged for all of your standard gear to be moved to the chopper, so no worries on that front." The elevator door opens, and the Colonel steps in. "I'll be standing by in the helicopter, coordinating the mission. If you can bring that jamming down, I'll be able to provide you with information and tactical support." Finally, the elevator door opens and you emerge onto the rooftop of the Defense Force building where a helicopter awaits with its' rotor already spinning.

The flight to your destination is fairly uneventful, primarily taking place over the cluttered suburbs of Washington DC. It's almost shocking how close the research bunker is to the city limits; it's barely five minutes before your helicopter is circling above a heavy concrete bunker built into a hillside and fenced off from all approaches. "Here we are, Defence Force H. Time to earn our pay, and maybe do a little favour to Uncle Sam. Good hunting."

EdroGrimshell
2011-08-12, 07:41 AM
Kagami nods and jumps from the copter, investing her energy in wing which she uses to glide the rest of the way down in a lazy spiral pattern and pulls them back after landing. Almost immediately her eyes go black with green irises as she looks through the walls to find their targets. Lead mesh would only block where the led was, not everything in between, so she figured she could at least catch movement depending on the size of the mesh.

Starsign
2011-08-12, 07:55 AM
Sgt. Material followed Kagami close behind, jumping out without the need of a parachute. Instead on the way down he takes out his lighter and rubs the flame on his body, igniting himself in flames that allows him to fly safely to the ground. He reverts to normal afterwards. "What do you have Kagami?"

Using my Fire form here
+1 Fort, +2 Ref, +4 Will
Defense +2, Toughness +0, Attack +0
Grapple +0, Knockback +0
Insubstantial 3
Flight 3 (50 mph)
Blast 13 (DC 28, 130 ft, AP: Element Control 13, AP: Weather Control 10
Element Control 13 (fire)
Weather Control 10 (extreme heat, DC 20, reversible)

Jallorn
2011-08-12, 05:29 PM
Stepping from the chopper, Nanoguard drops to the ground, a single pulse from his repulsors ensuring a relatively light landing, a soft thud being to only sound. Over the radio comes his voice, though no sound comes from the suit, Shift, if you would prepare a visual shroud to protect us from the turrets, and any other threats I suppose. Try and keep from blinding us as well if you can.

EdroGrimshell
2011-08-12, 05:45 PM
"Once i can check out the inside of the base I will, though if they're heat sensing i'll have to put some more effort into it," she pauses a moment then snaps her fingers, "that's what i was forgetting, oh well, guess better safe then sorry applies here."

Once she sees if she can catch anything/nothing through the lead mesh she turns to the task at hand and mixes her energies with the air in her lungs and exhales forming a mist of fine vapor that seems to chill the air, a steady stream of the mist coming from her mouth as she breathes, "that should do it."

Obscure: Visual Senses (including infrared) 5 ranks + Selective Power Feat = 11 points out of the 40 i possess. Will allocate 8 to Protection with an extra 4 for impervious = 12PP for a total of 23/40 allocated

"I can't see through the walls, though the doors are easy. And by the looks of it the people that got in here were able to bypass the turrets without getting shot at," she says quietly, just in case the turrets could be activated by sound, "Let's hope we can do the same."

Niezck
2011-08-14, 05:46 PM
Clone watches the others descend and pauses a moment, puzzling the situation in his mind.

"Eh, why not."

He leaps out of the helicopter, plummeting toward the ground. As the body reaches the ground and you look on in shock and horror, a new form appears with the group - identicle in every way.

The original clone slams into the ground, though without the typical thud and squish you'd expect. Similarly, there seems to be little evidence other than a wisp of black smoke rising out of where he impacted.

The new clone twitches slightly and adjusts his suit.

"You may fly, but I fall with style. Shall we?"

Dunno if you'd allow that, but it seemed cool and he has no form of flight, sooo....

Basically, leap to his death, create a new copy on the ground and then plummet and die. But, given he has Survivor, the new clone becomes the real him. Very, very dark and cold-hearted, but quite appropriate I feel.

DaedalusMkV
2011-08-15, 02:36 PM
You've all arrived now, and a heavy security door bars your passage into the base. You'll need to find a way past it, one way or another, if you hope to finish the mission. Looking around, the area is deserted and silent save for a slight breeze blowing through the short grass, though you can see the vague white shape of a military spy drone circling far above your head; Roberts and his friends are still watching, it would seem. On one side of the door is an electronic lock, with both a card reader and a keypad on it, which could provide a point of vulnerability to a skilled enough engineer. Otherwise, you'll need to find a way to break the steel-and-titanium door or the reinforced concrete walls around it.

EdroGrimshell: Keep in mind that Concealment is a personal Power. To affect the rest of your group you'd need to apply the Area (Burst) extra. I've already PMed you the results of your X-ray vision.

Niezck: I'll allow it. Just keep in mind that thanks to all of your clones sharing the same mind, all of you would share the terror and pain that goes along with jumping to their deaths. In the future, it might be easier just to ask the pilot to go a little bit farther down, then make your Clone directly on the ground.

EdroGrimshell
2011-08-15, 04:32 PM
EdroGrimshell: Keep in mind that Concealment is a personal Power. To affect the rest of your group you'd need to apply the Area (Burst) extra. I've already PMed you the results of your X-ray vision.

Right, will add that to the power then, for an extra 5pp for 28/40 points.

Starsign
2011-08-16, 01:42 PM
Sgt. Material peered at the door, studying it's mechanical requirements and locks. "Nanoguard, are you able to get us through?" The leader ordered Nanoguard as he took out his canteen and sprayed a small bit of water on his face. Like a plague the water spontaneously spread and turned Kurt's entire body into a watery-like form. "We're expected to be attacked by automated turrets upon entering. Presuming Shift's powers worked it won't be a problem, but in the case they aren't... If we can figure out what they'll attack and what they won't, we can have Clone move in safely and turn them off for us to proceed. Or if possible, Nanoguard can turn them off before we even have to enter." He walked slowly up to the door and examined it. "And if this door can't open, I'll head in and open it on the inside. Water should have an easy time bypassing a door. But I'd like to save that in case the turrets still work, not that I'm doubting your abilities Shift. Sound good team?"

I'm in Water form now, and I might as well post all the others while I'm at it :smalltongue:

Steel
+3 Fort, +2 Ref, +0 Will
Defense +0, Toughness +6, Attack +0
Grapple +19, Knockback -10
Density 12: 24 Str, Weight x25, Immovable 4, Protection 6 (impervious), Super Strength 7 (179.2 tons)
Immunity 11 (Life Support, Critical Hits)
Strike 1 (DC 28, Mighty)

Copper
+2 Fort, +3 Ref, +1 Will
Defense +2, Toughness +4, Attack +1
Grapple +12, Knockback -6
Density 8: 16 Str, Weight x5, Immovable 2, Protection 4 (impervious), Super Strength 3 (3.7 tons)
Immunity 2 (Critical Hits)
Strike 4 (DC 27, Mighty)
Absorption 5 (Absorbs Electricity, Boosts Super-Strength, Power Magnet 500 ft)

Wood
+6 Fort, +4 Ref, +5 Will
Defense +3, Toughness +3, Attack +1
Grapple +6, Knockback -3
Density 12: 8 Str, Weight x2, Immovable 1, Protection 3 (impervious), Super Strength 1 (600 lbs)
Immunity 2 (Critical Hits)
Regeneration 12 (Recovery +2, Bruised 3, Injured 3, Disabled 4, Regrowth, Source (sunlight), Subtle, Innate)
Strike 6 (DC 25, Autofire, Accurate, Mighty)

Fire
+1 Fort, +2 Ref, +4 Will
Defense +2, Toughness +0, Attack +0
Grapple +0, Knockback +0
Insubstantial 3
Flight 3 (50 mph)
Blast 13 (DC 28, 130 ft, AP: Element Control 13, AP: Weather Control 10
Element Control 13 (fire)
Weather Control 10 (extreme heat, DC 20, reversible)

Water
+2 Fort, +3 Ref, +2 Will
Defense +4, Toughness +2, Attack +1
Grapple +1, Knockback +1
Defensive Roll 2
Insubstantial 3
Flight 3 (50 mph)
Blast 8 (DC 23, 80 ft, Accurate 2 AP: Element Control 9, AP: Healing 8
Element Control 13 (water)
Healing 8 (Persistent, Regrowth)

Smoke
+2 Fort, +2 Ref, +2 Will
Defense +6, Toughness +0, Attack +0
Grapple +1, Knockback +1
Dodge Focus 3
Evasion 1
Insubstantial 2
Flight 3 (50 mph)
Concealment 10 (All Senses, Blending)
Blast 7 (DC 22, 70 ft, Accurate 3 AP: Suffocate 7
Suffocate 7 (DC 17, Accurate 3)

Jallorn
2011-08-16, 02:53 PM
Nanoguard immediately gets to work hooking into the computer network, Let's see if those codes they gave me are any good.

Datalink.

DaedalusMkV
2011-08-16, 06:36 PM
As Nanoguard uses his nanites to input the access codes the door begins to open with a slight grinding sound, heavy reinforcing bars being drawn back. It slides down into the ground, leaving only a short bump visible to show its' presence. You can now see down the corridor, where three turrets hang from the ceiling. Fortunately, Shift's veil seems to have successfully fooled them, and they remain silent. The corridor branches into two directions ahead, though you remember from the map you were shown that both lead eventually to the same place.

Oddly, the turrets don't seem to have fired a single shot, judging from the lack of shell casings underneath them.

Where are you going to go, and how are you going to go there?

Also, everyone give me a Notice check with your next post. It'll come in handy.

EdroGrimshell
2011-08-16, 07:49 PM
Kagami reactivates her X-ray vision, discarding the imperviousness of her scales in favor of being able to spot any threats, and proceeds forward tentatively while investing some of her energy into what she called her Dragon's Breath.

Subtract 2 from Impervious Protection to add in X-Ray Vision and Blast 5 for 38/40 points spent.

Notice: [roll0]

Starsign
2011-08-16, 08:07 PM
As Kagami scanned through the place, Sgt. Material held a hand up signaling Nanoguard and Clone to wait, then he nods to Clone, signaling him to do his duty. The leader decided to wait to see Kagami's results, but let Clone go as Kurt knew he couldn't keep Clone on a leash forever; best to let him act now before he does it unexpectedly.

Niezck
2011-08-20, 04:34 AM
Stalking forwards, Clone approaches the Sergeant.

"No way I'm gonna get to those on the ceiling. I can't fly, remember? As far as I'm concerned, you're better off just shooting them down if you can.."

DaedalusMkV
2011-08-21, 01:16 PM
Sorry, but where are you guys going and what are you planning on doing? All the main rooms in the base are labelled on the map I provided, so feel free to use that. The Turrets can't see through Shift's Concealment, but you'll have to stay immediately beside her or they'll see you.

Shift's X-ray vision still isn't really capable of seeing through the walls. Apparently, the DoD was paranoid enough to put the lead screens inside of all of the walls.

EdroGrimshell
2011-08-21, 01:26 PM
At rank 5 i should be able to conceal the entire hallway from the turrets. But if that's the case i guess that means i take point.

Breathing out to strengthen the cloud of mist Shift indicates everyone to follow and remain close by, enough so that they remained in the mist, and cautiously moves down the hallway. She pauses at the door of the security console to peer through it briefly, they had said that the doors didn't have the lead lining, and make sure it's safe beyond it. If it is she'll indicate for Sgt. Material and Nanoguard to come try at it, Nanoguard to open it with little noise and Sgt. Material to smash it open in case that doesn't work.

DaedalusMkV
2011-08-23, 06:40 PM
You pass the turrets, which still fail entirely to react to your presence, and turn the corner. Ahead of you is another large turret hanging from the ceiling, but unlike the others this one has clearly been in combat. A large pile of expended shells sits on the floor below it, and the machine guns on either side have been cut cleanly in half, preventing them from firing. You slowly approach it and look around the next corridor, and see that the other two turrets in this section of the base have been similarly destroyed, and small craters from bullet impacts litter the sides of the walls. Finally, you approach the door to the security area, where Shift peers through the door using her X-ray vision.

Sorry if anyone wanted to take a different route, but I didn't want to wait any more.

Shift:

On the other side of the door are four men, three sitting at a table and one typing furiously at the security console. The three at the table are clearly armed with assault rifles, and probably wearing armour. The one at the console has only a pistol; he's probably an engineer or technician of some kind.

EdroGrimshell
2011-08-23, 07:30 PM
Shift's eyes narrows as she holds up a hand and whispers, "four, three with assault rifles and one working at the computer with a pistol, they're probably wearing some kind of body armor body armor."

Kagami takes a moment to think, here the turrets were destroyed so she could drop the mist, though she was a little reluctant to do so. After only a moment she stops the flow of energy that kept the mist going and sends it into her scales and the almost laser-like dragon's breath that was her prefered weapon. She then ceases the flow to her eyes and keeps it in reserve.

"We'll need to get in quickly and take them out without destroying the main console... I have an idea. Nanoguard, we'll need you to hack the door and open it when we're ready to head in. Sgt. and Clone, we're going to need you to take care of the armed ones and you're the most likely to be able to get in close enough to make the guns ineffective, I can take out the guy on the computer. Once that's done Nanoguard can link to the console and take the base. We should also seal off the armory, if i remember correctly one of the enemies was spotted there."

Uninvesting everything and reinvesting in Protection 8 (8PP) and Blast 10 (20PP). 28/40PP.

If we get more points i'm going to ask for a way to increase the number of points i get from Power Reserve. 40 doesn't go as far as i thought it would.

Also, i hope that description is enough to get the benefits of Master Plan.
Int Check for Master Plan: [roll0]

+2 to all Skill Checks and Attack Rolls for the encounter if applicable.

Starsign
2011-08-23, 07:56 PM
Sgt Material lays low and keeps quiet as Kagami explains the plan, then responds quietly. "Clone is best to disguise and go in first, set up a clear opportunity for me to strike when they least expect it. He changes from his water form and taps the metal on his gun to become steel form. "I'll be making a lot of noise so it's best to strike together when they don't know I exist yet." he turns to Clone. "Got it?"

Jallorn
2011-08-23, 09:30 PM
Ready when you are, Nanoguard hooks into the system again, holding the command to open the door ready.

Niezck
2011-08-24, 09:54 AM
"Disguise as who though? I've nothing to go on, they're just as likely to shoot at a random stranger as they are to shoot at me. If I could see one of their companions, I could use that... Hmm."

Pondering a second, Clone turns to Nanoguard.

"Think you can get the door open a little without it being noticable? If I can go in looking like one of those guys, I should be able to convince them that -he's- the clone, or atleast cause enough confusion to get the Sergeant in."

Jallorn
2011-08-24, 08:46 PM
I can try. Sarge?

Starsign
2011-08-24, 08:48 PM
"All yours Nanoguard," Sgt. Material stated as he got himself in position. "Ready whenever you all are."

Jallorn
2011-08-24, 09:04 PM
Let's do this then.

Computer check: [roll0] just in case it needs some special commands.

Well, here's hoping it doesn't.

DaedalusMkV
2011-08-25, 02:41 AM
Nanoguard sends a stream of nanites to try to open the door part-way, but it seems that the heavy security doors of the base aren't designed to do so (for obvious reasons), and his attempts to stop the door from opening fully result in only a slight grinding of internal bars against concrete.

On the other side of the door is a moderately large, well-appointed combination of security room and living room. A large console and series of monitors takes up most of the wall opposite the door, there is a small couch and a television against the east wall and a refridgerator, stove and sink against the west. Near the middle of the room is a dining table, where three men were clearly playing cards just a moment ago. Now, all three are crouched behind the table with assault rifles in their hands pointed towards the door, while a fourth man in civillian clothing has his back against the southern wall near the security console, a pistol gripped tightly in his unsteady hands.

The armed men are wearing black military-style body armour and dark grey and blue fatigues and carrying state-of-the-art assault rifles, and carry their weapons with professional precision. Their helmets incorporate mirrored visors that cover their eyes, and the only thing about them that might denote some sort of allegiance is a patch bearing a stylized golden anvil on their shoulders. One of them calls out, hesitantly, "That you, Lurk? Wait... ****, shoot them!"

As good an idea as the infiltration plan was, the doors here aren't really designed to open stealthily. Nanoguard would need to have Disable Device to actually modify or disable the door's mechanisms if he wanted to open them partially, though he's more than capable of just jamming them shut if he wants to by disabling the electronic openers.

Battle is upon you. Go ahead and roll initiative, then feel free to post in whatever order you want. Just be ready to use contingencies in the event that a higher-initiative action invalidates yours. For example, if Clone has a higher initiative than Nanoguard but Jallorn wants to post first, he could say "I'll fire my laser at the enemy on the right, unless he's already Stunned in which case target the engineer against the wall". I hope that all makes sense.

GM rolls:

Badguys Initiative: [roll0]
Mysterious and Sinister Notice check: [roll1]

Starsign
2011-08-25, 11:00 AM
"Well, not like everything goes according to plan, Sgt. Material thought as he charges head first into the enemy group, crashing himself into one of the men with the assault rifles. Right now the fastest thing needed to be done is to avoid letting the entire complex know about them via alarm.

Well-Informed feat allows me to make an immediate Gather Information check on these guys, their uniforms, and their weapons: [roll0] What do I find? :smalltongue:

Initiative: [roll1]
Charging, Attack roll on the nearest guard with assault rifle: [roll2] DC 28 Toughness if hit

EdroGrimshell
2011-08-25, 12:10 PM
Kagami ducks low and then fires off a beam at the engineer, if it missed and hit the console it'd just stop him from doing whatever the hell he was doing.

Initiative: [roll0]
Attack Roll: [roll1]
Toughness DC is 25 IIRC, correct me if i'm wrong please.

Jallorn
2011-08-29, 01:49 PM
More irritated at his mistake than worried about the weapons arrayed against them, Nanoguard unleashes a blast of energy at one of the armored men at the table.

Initiative: [roll0]
Attack:[roll1]
Toughness DC 25

Niezck
2011-08-30, 08:55 PM
Closing his eyes for a brief second, Clone's form begins pulsating as smoke seeps out of him. Dragging along the floor as the pulsating stops, the smoke drifts over to next to the gunmen, coalescing into a humanoid shape.

Eyes, nose, mouth, chest, arms, legs. The form takes shape, stealing the appearance of Clone himself as it turns its head toward the gunman, sword appearing in its hand.

Duplicate, next to the gunman. I *think* that's right.

DaedalusMkV
2011-09-01, 10:34 PM
Clone reacts quickly, creating a shadowy duplicate of himself behind the enemy, causing one of them to turn around and fire off a burst of automatic fire uselessly, bullets pattering against the wall. The other two black-clad soldiers open fire on the first person they see, Shift. However, their haste and surprise results in both volleys spending themselves fruitlessly against the walls around the door, accomplishing nothing. Taking advantage of the confusion, Sgt. Material plows through the table, easily knocking it aside, and lands a punch directly in his target's chest with a resounding crack, knocking him to the ground ten feet back and leaving him stunned and hardly able to breathe. Kagami's own energy beam strikes the engineer in the head, cracking it against the wall and leaving him unconscious on the ground, unmoving. Finally, Nanoguard's laser blast throws his target off his feet and into the refridgerator, knocking both to the ground and leaving the enemy smoking and unmoving on the ground.

Starsign:

Their weapons are new, expensive Belgian models, compact bullpup assault rifles that are very popular with Special Forces and Paramilitary groups. They see heavy use among high-rent mercenary groups as well. Their body armour is standard-issue american combat armour, it could have been purchased from half a dozen manufacturers or stolen from any of hundreds of army warehouses.

You don't recognize their uniforms or insignia.

Everyone:

The next round begins. Please give me a Notice check along with your next action.

Rolling Clone's initiative for him: [roll0]

No peeking:

Merc 1 attack: [roll1] Randomizing target: [roll2]
Merc 2 attack: [roll3] Randomizing target: [roll4]
Merc 3 attack: [roll5] Randomizing target: [roll6]

1=Clone
2=Nanoguard
3=Sgt. Material
4=Shift

Merc 1 Toughness save: [roll7]
Merc 2 Toughness save: [roll8]
Engineer Toughness: [roll9]

Mysterious Notice check: [roll10]

Starsign
2011-09-03, 12:43 PM
Seeing how a good number of foes have already been removed, Sgt. Material aims for one of the remaining mercenaries, pounding an uppercut into the foe. "Everyone spread out and remove anyone standing!" He almost shouts his order.

Attack roll: [roll0]
DC 28 33 Toughness if hit

EdroGrimshell
2011-09-03, 03:26 PM
Damn, they're targeting me, better strengthen my scales, she thinks absently as she channels more energy to her scales. She then fires another blast at the door that was indicated on the map, shifting it to fire in an attempt to melt the door shut, one of the enemies had been spotted in there, and, if she remembered correctly, it was the armory, meaning whoever was in there would have some serious firepower if they got into the fight.

She really hoped she could do this at the very least, she was sorta pushing the limits of her breath weapon with this one.

Not sure if i need an attack so here
[roll0]

If i have to i'll spend a hero point to weld the door shut

Shifting seven points to the scales to give Protection 10 with Impervious 5 for 35/40 points currently invested

Starsign
2011-09-03, 05:36 PM
Notice check because I forgot it like an idiot: [roll0] :smallredface:

Jallorn
2011-09-27, 10:22 PM
Damn, Nanoguard quips as he fires another blast of energy, I rather hoped the lack of good surveillance was a result of more challenging enemies. Instead it just seems to be bad security.

Attack: [roll0]
Toughness DC: 25
Nonlethal