PDA

View Full Version : Invisibility and Debuffs

myancey
2011-08-06, 03:29 PM
Maybe I'm just missing the obvious--but can you debuff characters and remain invisible?

The only spells that cancel invisibility are things like damage dealers, mind controllers, stunners, etc., right?

ericgrau
2011-08-06, 03:32 PM
It all depends on the definition of attacking but I'd put debuffs squarely in the territory of direct offensive actions, so they would break the invisibility.

Specifically the spell says:
"For purposes of this spell, an attack includes any spell targeting a foe or whose area or effect includes a foe. (Exactly who is a foe depends on the invisible character’s perceptions.) Actions directed at unattended objects do not break the spell. Causing harm indirectly is not an attack."

Kenneth
2011-08-06, 03:35 PM
No, you cannot as debuffing is considered an attack action.

but you can summon a creature that has the debuff you are looking for as an abilty and remain invisible.

or you could indirectly debuff somebody.

basically if an action requires you or the target to roll a dice, invisibility comes off. thats a rule of thumb mind you, there are probably some exceptions.

olentu
2011-08-06, 03:37 PM
As I recall the invisibility spell says, in approximate wording, that for the purposes of this spell an attack includes any spell that targets a foe or includes one in its area. However an exception is made for those spells that target allies and not enemies.

candycorn
2011-08-07, 12:16 AM
For example: Bless would not break invisibility, even if enemies were in the area of the spell, because bless specifically excludes enemies.

However, ANY spell which includes an enemy in the area breaks it.

Drachasor
2011-08-07, 12:54 AM
Just gotta convince yourself the bad guys aren't enemies. It's possible.

TwylyghT
2011-08-07, 01:04 AM
Just gotta convince yourself the bad guys aren't enemies. It's possible.

I'm a happy go lucky guy, I consider all living things my friends!

*looks around*

Oh dear, my new buddies look terribly cold dressed so lightly down in this dank dungeon, I better help them out so they don't become sick!

*Maximized Fireball*

There we go, nice and toasty :)

Drachasor
2011-08-07, 01:07 AM
The right magic to manipulate your mind and you can turn that dream into reality!