PDA

View Full Version : houserules

big teej
2011-08-06, 04:40 PM
we've all got them.

I'm trying to make a codified list of mine, preferably according to what they relate to.

I'm also looking for house rules other groups use. so if you've got a houserule that you always recommend to people, post it here.

any tips for orginizing them is also much appreciated,

here's what I've got off to the top of my head.

Magic weapons/armor
instead of enchanting a masterwork weapon to +1 and then being able to add abilities.
you can begin enchanting masterwork weapons, and the enchantment adds its +x value to the weapon/armor

for example, Flaming is a +1 enchantment, so if you enchant a masterwork weapon with flaming
it becomes a +1 flaming weapon.

when rolling hit points, if you roll really low, you may take a step down in hit die and roll again.
example:
bob the barbarian rolls his hit die and gets a 2
bob's player: this sucks
bob's player then rolls a d10, getting a 3
still unsatisfied, bob rolls a d8, and lands an 8
satisfied with this result, bob adds 8 + his con modifier to his hit points.

we use crit-fumble rules on a natural 1, but you must confirm it.
in the event that you roll a 1 on your confirmation
roll again
if you confirm this 2nd natural 1, something really bad happens

if you roll a natural 1 and confirm with a natural 20, the attack is resolved as if you had rolled a 10

if you roll 3 20s in a row, you instagib the target.

natural 1's end attack routines only on the primary attack

things like Dodge and Shield block (abilities that typically grant +1 AC against a single opponent) are instead a flat bonus to AC

alignment restrictions - yes I do enforce them.
Paladins must be Lawful Good
Druids must be True Neutral
Beguilers may only be True Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, Lawful Evil, Neutral Evil, Chaotic Evil
Skarn MUST be Lawful
Rilkans MUST be Chaotic

that's what I've got off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll remember more later.

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-06, 09:34 PM
One house rule I will be implementing is "If you can't explain how the build you found on the internet works than you can't play it."

Oh and also why the alignment restrictions on beguiler? That makes little to no sense to me.

Xtomjames
2011-08-06, 09:41 PM
A good houserule for skills is instead of limiting class skills and trained skills for the sake of ranks and half ranks, the players can choose any and all skills they want by paying ranks into them at the beginning of the build, and they are thus not treated as CC skills for later level purposes. Its a fair trade off to not having higher ranks in any one skill.

I also like the every other level feat rule instead of every three levels. But that is only for more powerful campaigns.

Adindra
2011-08-06, 09:52 PM
if you roll 3 20s in a row, you instagib the target.

i used to use that rule until a player of mine one shotted another player and then my boss monster with 6 20's in a row using my own dice

Vandicus
2011-08-06, 09:57 PM
I removed automatic fail/suceed on attacks and saves for nartual20s/1s.

watchwood
2011-08-06, 10:53 PM
Critical fumbles are the big one for us. We mostly play it by the book.

Gamer Girl
2011-08-06, 11:28 PM
1.Old School MagicAll the 2E penalties for magic spells are in full effect. No 3E watered down save magic.

2.Magic is strange and mysterious and deadly, when you use it anything can happen. Even more so when you mix magics or cast a lot in one place or such.

3.Most skills, but especially knowledge skills in particular, are broken into lots of smaller sub categories. So you can't just take a couple ranks in knowledge arcana and know absolutely everything about magic from the dawn of time.

4.Death is common and will happen. Anything can kill a character at any time. There is no plot armor or plot saves.

5.No take backs. Once you say an action, good or bad, it happens. Even if you forgot a plus or something.

Ozreth
2011-08-06, 11:35 PM
1.Old School MagicAll the 2E penalties for magic spells are in full effect. No 3E watered down save magic.

2.Magic is strange and mysterious and deadly, when you use it anything can happen. Even more so when you mix magics or cast a lot in one place or such.

3.Most skills, but especially knowledge skills in particular, are broken into lots of smaller sub categories. So you can't just take a couple ranks in knowledge arcana and know absolutely everything about magic from the dawn of time.

4.Death is common and will happen. Anything can kill a character at any time. There is no plot armor or plot saves.

5.No take backs. Once you say an action, good or bad, it happens. Even if you forgot a plus or something.

Great stuff right here. A woman after my own heart.

Drachasor
2011-08-06, 11:52 PM
If you are rolling for HP, I say you just treat the lower half of the possible numbers as half the max. So if you roll a 1, 2, 3, or 4 on a D10, you treat them as a 5. Basically, there's a 50% chance that you get half the max of the die as health.

This actually makes only a very tiny difference statistically on hit points, but it does avoid having crappy health do to bad luck.

Personally, I don't like critical fumbles since they make people who have multiple attacks more likely to fumble. So a 20th level warrior is more likely to have a critical fumble than a 1st level warrior. It doesn't make any sense.

Personally, I think knowledge skills are broken down too much already. They don't have a lot of utility really, and so are mostly flavor. Besides, even someone with Knowledge(arcana) isn't going to know everything. For one they'll have bad rolls, there will be DCs they can't make, and you can always make some things simply impossible since no lore has survived to be learned.

While I have many problems with 4th, I like how it did a lot of work to combine knowledges into other skills.

big teej
2011-08-07, 12:38 AM
One house rule I will be implementing is "If you can't explain how the build you found on the internet works than you can't play it."

I like this... but until my players start searching the net for builds I don't think it will be implemented.

i used to use that rule until a player of mine one shotted another player and then my boss monster with 6 20's in a row using my own dice

well... if they weren't funny dice...

the odds of three natural 20s in a row is low enough that I'm okay with it.
one of my players is the head of the math department, he ran the math.

I don't remember the number he came up with. but it had aloooooot of zeros in it.

enough zeros to make me okay with the rule.

sounds like I need to get my hands on some older books..... this "old school magic" intrigues me significantly. dun dun dun!!!

I'm afraid I don't see the need for #4 as a houserule.... I see that more as standard issue...

unless there's something somewhere that says "baby your players/don't kill them"

on a related note, I've increased my game's lethality by likely over 100 %

in the past year at my school group, I slew 2 PCs

over the past summer with my summer group, I've slain 3.
make of that what you will. :smallbiggrin:

I'm also pretty hard-nosed on the "if you say it, you do it" thing. but being the rather snarky person I am, I make allowances for things that are obviously jokes.

If you are rolling for HP, I say you just treat the lower half of the possible numbers as half the max. So if you roll a 1, 2, 3, or 4 on a D10, you treat them as a 5. Basically, there's a 50% chance that you get half the max of the die as health.

This actually makes only a very tiny difference statistically on hit points, but it does avoid having crappy health do to bad luck.

Personally, I don't like critical fumbles since they make people who have multiple attacks more likely to fumble. So a 20th level warrior is more likely to have a critical fumble than a 1st level warrior. It doesn't make any sense.

that would be simpler, but I like to leave the dice gods room to smite people they are displeased with :smallwink:

also, I agree that 20th level fighters should screw up less than 1st level.

that's why our rule is that natural 1s on anything other than the primary attack are merely auto-whiffs rather than risking crit-fails.

for instance, steve the fighter is 15th level
+ 15, +10, +5
and he rolls a 15, a 1 and a 9
well the 15 is resolved normally, the second attack misses, and the 9 is resolved normally.

if he rolls a 1 a 14, and a 5. then he loses the whole attack routine and risks a crit fail.

any other houserules people really like?

TwylyghT
2011-08-07, 12:48 AM
We treat toughness like it was in Neverwinter Nights at 1/hp level.

We also got rid of auto success or failure, and treat a natural 1 as -9 and a nat 20 as a 30.

Class and cross-class skills are determined by backstory rather than class list, pending DM approval.

Pistols/Hand x-bows do not provoke AoO. In addition they threaten adjacent squares if you have Point Blank Shot.

A halfling under the effects of an Ironbody spell counts as an adamantine great club when swung by a raging barbarian. Grapple check required if the halfling is unwilling.

sonofzeal
2011-08-07, 12:53 AM
I

well... if they weren't funny dice...

the odds of three natural 20s in a row is low enough that I'm okay with it.
one of my players is the head of the math department, he ran the math.

I don't remember the number he came up with. but it had aloooooot of zeros in it.

enough zeros to make me okay with the rule.
The odds are 1/8000. Given that a melee type might roll three attacks a round for four combats of five rounds each a day, the odds of it coming up any given day are 1/188. With three characters tossing out dice like that (Fighter, Rogue, Cleric) and one not (Wizard), and say an average session covering two such days... your odds are down to 1/22 of seeing it come up in any given session.

Triple 20's are rare, but they do come up.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-08-07, 01:00 AM
2.Magic is strange and mysterious and deadly, when you use it anything can happen. Even more so when you mix magics or cast a lot in one place or such.So, if someone shows up with a mailman, his invisible ocular searing split ray twinned empowered maximized orbs of fire somehow cause rocks to fall, and everyone subsequently dies? Or is it that any ol' mage casting fireball could get boned like he was simultaneously firing a rod of wonder and drawing from the deck of many things? I like the first interpretation.

5.No take backs. Once you say an action, good or bad, it happens. Even if you forgot a plus or something.This should be set in stone for every group. Speeds things up quite a bit and reduces the temptation to metagame the enemy's defenses (hm, I missed on a 17, but I hit on a 19).

Speaking of speeding things up, I'm still trying to get a group to buy into the chess clock idea for combat. No dice just yet. As for actual house rules:

Monks are proficient with their unarmed attacks.
Mechanical shenanigans (loops, dark chaos shuffle, early entry shenanigans, a surprisingly large amount of Faerun and Dragonlance material, et cetera) generally don't work like it says on the tin.
The death from massive damage rule was struck for 50 damage out of fifty billion HP; it rolled a 1 on its fort save, so it died. No one wanted to resurrect it.
*Actual* half hit dice on level up. That is, you round down your total HP, not every single hit die. 5d6 round down is 17, not 15! Rounding errors matter!

Ones I haven't yet implemented, but plan to:
Anyone with BaB 6 or greater can full attack as a standard action.
Monks get full BaB
Fighters get 4+int skill points
Iron Heart Surge becomes a counter that removes one condition from a fixed list* of conditions which are about to affect him, and its level increases to 6.

*Ability Damaged, Ability Drained, Blinded, Checked, Confused, Cowering, Dazed, Dazzled, Deafened, Energy Drained, Entangled, Exhausted, Fascinated, Fatigued, Frightened, Nauseated, Panicked, Paralyzed, Petrified, Shaken, Sickened, Staggered Stunned, Charmed, Dominated, Asleep, maybe I forgot a few?

Hanuman
2011-08-07, 01:04 AM
First off, I employ a 3 tier difficulty system :smallwink::smallconfused::smallmad: In red, green or blue.

I give different bonuses for harder difficulty, green is easy and uses standard character protection rules, blue is somewhat vulnerable to everyday stuff, I use a spin on the page near the back of the draconomicon for crit effects except whenever a character gets damaged I then translate it into something viable (i'm a physiology/anatomy/paramed student). Red generally is hardcore, if you fall 10' you might break a leg, stamina is a real factor more than just NL damage, and even things like moral from eating make them roll saves. To determine how well a character deals with these things, will and fort are very important as well as your hd (d4 wouldn't deal well, d10 would). A character may get wounded, and no matter how you slice it, if you get hit by an arrow you're going to have an arrow in you and in real life, that's a big deal. Needless to say, heal check is pretty important to have.

As for healing spells, I give arcane casters healing spells but they're listed as transmutation. Transmutation based healing requires a heal check and causes a character to lose HP if it's a permanent solution-- though I do allow healing spells that simply close wounds temporarily, like magic suturing.
Divine healing doesn't necessarily erase injuries but it does heal your HP.
I use wounds as a loose "actual HP" value, so you can be at full HP and still be in very bad shape, hp just means how much vitality you have, and pumping divine energy into someone is more like a blood transfusion than anything. I allow character to use their healing spells in conjunction with their heal checks and allow their heal checks to actively heal when needed over the course of dealing with whatever injury may be a problem. Characters can easily lose HP while repairing a wound because thats simply the nature of how to actually heal someone-- hp in this case would represent vital conditions.

For HD, I both use it as a measure of their general ability to deal with wounds contextually, and I add their con modifier + their HD# (Majority, first HD# taken if tied) to their -HP cap.
So example, a barbarian with 16 con would have +12 +3.

So, regular rules you'd have 0hp unc, -10dead, with these rules you'd have -10 flatline and for a +15 cap modifier you'd have death at -25, though in my campaigns it's very tricky to revive a creature one he/she has hit -10. It's just more of a higher level application to make a ally stable.

Major NPC's are always green (such as a friendly great wyrm who watches over a city and guides the players), an important NPC such as a king, a guild leader, or anyone who is secretly important to the plot has blue, and everything else is red. Which makes fighting monsters a little more knife-fighty as the monsters can be downed much easier, but more more contextually so.

Players can take a -2 for a called shot on a certain region of the body, spare the head, and -5 for a called crit for an important shot such as maiming a foe specifically (such as disarming by lopping off an arm).

Magic is generally dangerous, arcane magic especially. Arcane casters have 5% nonremovable ASF, and can use spells above their level by using "emulated level". "Emulated level" is a way of superpowering your own spell casting by raising your levels in arcane caster, for every level while you are emulating you raise yourself you double your total ACF and negates ACF removing effects, even twilight or class features. Will saves against controlling the effects of their magic are based on save DC of the spell.

Let's say a level 5 wizard wanted to cast a level 4 spell (I let characters learn spells regardless of their level, they just can't use them normally, and usually allow spells to be learned in the same regard as summon monster-- you might have Burning Hands I, and Burning Hands II, or you could have StoneSkin (wiz4) at level 1 and cast StoneSkin I).
WIZ5 casts Wall of Fire (((ASF5*2)*2)*2)= ASF40%, ASF1d10 1d10+0
2+0 = 2 (Will Save (+5) 1d20+5 20+5 = 25 vs saveDC 18, which beats it by quite a bit so it would be a successful save, but the spell would still have failed and wasted.
To cast the spell, you have to have it available and higher spells than you can cast cost progressively double what your prepared slots are. The example of a 4th level spell would have cost the wizard 4 2nd level spell slots, or 3 2nd level and 2 1st level slots, ect. Cantrips are not included in conversion, it always takes from your highest slots, and converting slots always places at least +5%ASF onto any spell.

I've leave you with that, but I have houserules for a lot of things, so pm me if you want insight on my dming or rationale.

Drachasor
2011-08-07, 01:04 AM
This should be set in stone for every group. Speeds things up quite a bit and reduces the temptation to metagame the enemy's defenses (hm, I missed on a 17, but I hit on a 19).

Imho, that's not metagaming at all. The Character should certainly be getting a good idea about how good the enemy's defenses are in combat. Other characters who are just watching should as well. This just makes sense.

big teej
2011-08-07, 01:07 AM
The odds are 1/8000. Given that a melee type might roll three attacks a round for four combats of five rounds each a day, the odds of it coming up any given day are 1/188. With three characters tossing out dice like that (Fighter, Rogue, Cleric) and one not (Wizard), and say an average session covering two such days... your odds are down to 1/22 of seeing it come up in any given session.

Triple 20's are rare, but they do come up.

hmm.... well it hasn't happend to me yet, and by my count I've been gaming for .... 2 or 3 years.

that's rare enough for me. :smalltongue:

your point is made however.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-08-07, 01:13 AM
Imho, that's not metagaming at all. The Character should certainly be getting a good idea about how good the enemy's defenses are in combat. Other characters who are just watching should as well. This just makes sense.This makes sense after a certain number of attacks, but in the case of forgetting (or worse, "forgetting") a bonus and adding it later, the player often gains the information of two attacks while the character should only have the information of one attack.

Psyren
2011-08-07, 01:14 AM

I feel like this one should really be setting-dependent. Yeah, somewhere like Ravenloft your spells can go pretty wonky depending on how the Mists or those 4 curses you're harboring feel that day, but somewhere like Eberron they've got magic down practically to a science.

Can I reroll afterward, or do I have to just sit there, though?

I'd probably show up at your games with ten backup sheets :smalltongue:

Drachasor
2011-08-07, 01:18 AM
This makes sense after a certain number of attacks, but in the case of forgetting (or worse, "forgetting") a bonus and adding it later, the player often gains the information of two attacks while the character should only have the information of one attack.

Is that really something worth sweating over? I mean, geeze, that's small potatoes stuff. Really, really, tiny potatoes. Like potatoes for mice.

Serpentine
2011-08-07, 01:18 AM
Here's all my houserules that I've written down (work in progress):
Basics
Abilities
Automatically have an 8 and a 18. Other 4 rolled with 5d6, drop lowest 2. Rerolls at the discretion of DM.
Optional, at DM’s discretion: Can choose own array of stats, so long as it has a wide spread similar to this: one <8, one 9-11, one 12-13, one 14-15, one 16-17, one 17-18.
Optional, at DM’s discretion: Can choose to reduce any stat by any amount, and up to half of the points removed added to other stats (to a maximum of 18 before racial, HD and other modifiers). Must be done for roleplay and/or character concept purposes, not minmaxing.

Skills
Some cross-class skills may be swapped for class skills if the DM is convinced that it furthers the character concept.
Each character receives 1 extra skill point per level to be spent on one “hobby” skill – Craft or Profession, or another skill that doesn’t directly benefit the class if it can be justified as “hobby” to the DM.
The following skills have been combined: Intimidate and Diplomacy into Persuasion; Listen and Spot into Perception; Hide and Move Silently into Stealth.

Feats
Two feats that each only give a bonus to one or more skills can be taken as one feat.
Where a feat grants a bonus to a skill, it instead allows the application of double the relevant ability modifier to that skill to a minimum of +1 (e.g. +4 to Tumble instead of +2 for a Dex of 14) OR it grants that bonus when taken and then every 5 ranks of the skill (e.g. +2 to Tumble for every 5 ranks).

Rolling
A natural 1 on a roll approximately counts as -10. A natural 20 approximately counts as +30. For example, a character has 20 ranks in Balance. A natural 1 would be approximately equivalent to a total of 10. He may not fall, but probably can’t move or do much else, either. A natural 20 would be about equivalent to a total of 50, and so would allow the character to succeed at whatever they intended to do and also possibly anything else with a DC of up to 50.
Very high rolls may grant a bonus on a subsequent check.
A skill, or possibly other, check greater than 40 may replicate a spell, magical or supernatural effect or ability at the discretion of the DM and imagination of the player.

Natural Healing
With a full night’s rest, a character heals 1 hit point per Hit Dice plus his Constitution modifier (minimum 1 hit point per night). If he undergoes complete bed rest for 24 hours, he heals a number of hit points equal to twice his character level plus twice his Constitution modifier. Any significant interruption during the rest period prevents the character from healing that night.
Nonlethal hitpoints heal more quickly. A character heals nonlethal hitpoints at a rate of 1 hitpoint per hour per character level plus his Constitution modifier (minimum 1 hit per hour).

Level Adjustment
If a player wants to take a race with Level Adjustment, they may 1. take it as is, 2. have DM work out a LA0 version, or 3. take a level in an NPC class for every point of LA (e.g. 5 levels + 2LA + 2NPC levels = ECL 7, instead of 5 levels + 2LA = ECL 7).

Races
Humans
• Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Human base land speed is 30 feet.
• 1 extra feat at 1st level.
• 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
• Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
• Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass human takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.

Dwarves
• +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, dwarves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
• Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
• Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
• Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat racially-associated weapons, such as dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes, as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
• Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
• +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
• +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
• +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon.
• Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass dwarf’s fighter class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing
- This is the normal "underground" dwarf, in my game a Hock-Barrock dwarf. There's another variety, the Hill dwarf, but I haven't figured out how to change them yet.

Elves
Sylvan Elf
Small and fine-featured, Sylvan elves are flighty and mischevous, and have an affinity for fey and the joys of life and nature. Their hair and eyes range widely in colour, but usually dark hair and natural-coloured eyes such as blue and green, though other colours such as especially bright ones, amber, and metallic hues are not uncommon. They prefer light, unrestraining clothing of natural textiles in bright shades.
• +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Elf base land speed is 30 feet.
• Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
• Low-Light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish colour and detail under these conditions.
• Weapon Proficiency: Elves receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword, rapier, longbow (including composite longbow), and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats. All elven weapons are considered Martial, not Exotic.
• +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
• +2 Diplomacy checks with Fey creatures.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan.
• Favored Class: Sorcerer. A multiclass elf’s sorcerer class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
• Sylvan elves can cast Prestidigitation and Dancing Lights once per day.

Arbour Elf
Taller and grander in physical appearance than others of their race, Arbour elves have a reputation for being aloof and arrogant (even by elven standards). They usually have pale hair, often of silver or gold, and often have gold, amber, violet, bright blue, piercing green or similar type eyes. They prefer regal, elegant clothing of white, silver, yellow, or gold, with cloaks of deep blue or purple.
• +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
• Low-Light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
• Weapon Proficiency: Elves receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword, rapier, longbow (including composite longbow), and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats. All elven weapons are considered Martial, not Exotic.
• +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan.
• Favored Class: Wizard. A multiclass elf’s wizard class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
• Arbour elves can cast Prestidigitation and Mage Hand once per day.
- Can't think of a skill for them to have a bonus in. Possibly Knowledge (arcana).

Bog Elf
Bog (or Wild) elves are barbaric and tribal. Bog elves’ hair colour ranges from black to light brown, lightening to silvery white with age, and their eyes are usually of earthy colours such as brown, hazel or green. They dress in simple clothing of animal skins and basic plant weaves.
• +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma.
• Low-Light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
• +2 Knowledge (nature) checks.
• Bog elves can cast Dancing Lights and Ghost Sound once per day.
• Favored Class: Ranger. This trait replaces the high elf’s favoured class.

Drow
• +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma.
• Darkvision out to 60 feet.
• Spell-Like Abilities: Drow can use the following spell-like abilities once per day: dancing lights, darkness. Caster level equals the drow’s class levels.
• Weapon Proficiency: A drow is automatically proficient with the hand crossbow, the rapier, and the short sword. All elven weapons are considered Martial, not Exotic.
• Automatic Languages: Common, Elven, Undercommon. Bonus Languages: Abyssal, Aquan, Draconic, Drow Sign Language, Gnome, Goblin.
• Light Blindness: Abrupt exposure to bright light (such as sunlight or a daylight spell) blinds drow for 1 round. On subsequent rounds, they are dazzled as long as they remain in the affected area.
• +2 Knowledge (dungeoneering)
• Favored Class: Wizard (male) or cleric (female).

Gnomes
Also see the Gnome monster listing.
• +2 Constitution, -2 Strength.
• Small: As a Small creature, a gnome gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
• Gnome base land speed is 20 feet.
• Low-Light Vision: A gnome can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
• Weapon Familiarity: Gnomes may treat gnome hooked hammers and any other gnome weapons as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
• +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions.
• Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by gnomes. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects.
• +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
• +2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Gnome. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, and Orc. In addition, a gnome can speak with a burrowing mammal (a badger, fox, rabbit, or the like, see below). This ability is innate to gnomes. See the speak with animals spell description.
• Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute). A gnome with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has one of the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + gnome’s Cha modifier + spell level.
• Favored Class: Bard or Wizard. A multiclass gnome’s bard or wizard class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.

Half-Elves
Also see the Half-Elf monster listing.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, half-elves have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Half-elf base land speed is 30 feet.
• Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects, and a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells or effects.
• Low-Light Vision: A half-elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
• +1 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
• +2 racial bonus on Diplomacy and Gather Information checks.
• Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered an elf.
• If raised by humans, half-elves gain one extra feat at first level. If raised by elves, all elven weapons are considered Martial rather than Exotic.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).
• Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass half-elf takes an experience point penalty, her highest-level class does not count.

Half-Orcs
Also see the Half-Orc monster listing.
• +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence.
A half-orc’s starting Intelligence score is always at least 3. If this adjustment would lower the character’s score to 1 or 2, his score is nevertheless 3.
• Medium: As Medium creatures, half-orcs have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Half-orc base land speed is 30 feet.
• Darkvision: Half-orcs (and orcs) can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and half-orcs can function just fine with no light at all.
• Orc Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-orc is considered an orc.
• If raised by humans, half-orcs gain one extra feat at first level. If raised by orcs, all orc weapons are considered martial rather than exotic.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Orc. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, and Abyssal.
• Favoured Class: Barbarian. A multiclass half-orc’s barbarian class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.

Halflings
Also see the Halfling monster listing.
• +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
• Small: As a Small creature, a halfling gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
• Halfling base land speed is 20 feet.
• +2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen, and Move Silently checks.
• +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
• +2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear: This bonus stacks with the halfling’s +1 bonus on saving throws in general.
• +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Halfling. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Orc.
• Favored Class: Rogue. A multiclass halfling’s rogue class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

Planetouched
Aasimar, tieflings and other planetouched are custom-made according to the ancestor creature. The following is a guide, rather than hard rules.
• +2 ancestor creature’s best ability, -2 ancestor creature’s worst ability.
• Resistance 5 to one energy the ancestor creature is immune or resistant to.
• +2 to the ancestor creature’s two best skills.
• Darkvision 60ft or low-light vision, if the ancestor creature had it.
• +4 to saves against one supernatural effect the ancestor creature is immune to (e.g. petrification).
• Possibly a penalty to reflect a vulnerability of the ancestor creature.
• 1d4 distinctive physical features.

Catfolk
Players may use this variant, or the original version.
• +4 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
• Humanoid (Feline)
• Size: Small. As a Small creature, a Catfolk gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are ¾ of those of a Medium character.
• Catfolk base land speed is 30 feet.
• Low-Light Vision (Ex): Catfolk can see twice as far as a human can in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions
• Natural Weapons: Catfolk have two primary claw attacks, each with a damage value of 1d4. When not wearing foot protection, a Catfolk may add a secondary kick attack that deals 1d3 lethal damage.
• Feline Balance (Ex): Catfolk have an innate ability to stay balanced on their feet. They gain +2 on Balance checks and always land on their feet if jumping or falling, but they still take any applicable damage.
• +2 racial bonus to Perception and Stealth.
• Distraction: Catfolk are easily distracted. They take a -2 penalty to Concentration checks
• Aquaphobic: Catfolk hate water. When wet, or at risk of becoming wet, they take a -1 morale penalty. To enter a body of water deeper than 2ft, they must make a DC12 Will save. Once in, they must do another DC 14 Will save every minute or struggle to exit.
• Automatic Languages: Feline and Common. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Orc, Gnome, Halfling. Catfolk find it useful to learn the languages of their friends and enemies, namely the five most common races.
• Favored Class: Ranger

Poison Dusk Lizardfolk
• +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma
• Humanoid (Reptilian)
• Size: Small. As a Small creature, a Catfolk gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are ¾ of those of a Medium character.
• Poison dusk lizardfolk base land speed is 30 feet.
• Low-Light Vision (Ex): Poison dusk lizardfolk can see twice as far as a human can in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions
• Natural Weapons: 2 claws (1d3) and bite (1d3).
• Racial skills: A poison dusk lizardfolk has a +2 racial bonus on Balance, Jump and Swim checks. A poison dusk lizardfolk can apply poison without endangering itself. Its chameleon skin allows it a +5 racial bonus on Hide checks.
• +1 natural armour bonus
• Chameleon Skin (Ex): Poison dusks can adjust the colours of their scales to blend in with their surroundings. When it is not wearing armour, robes or other covering clothing, a poison dusk lizardfolk gains a +5 racial bonus on Hide checks.
• Weapon Familiarity: Poison dusk lizardfolk treat bolas and nets as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons.
• Automatic Languages: Draconic, Common. Bonus Languages: Halfling, Sylvan (or, in Handia, any Animal Family languages)
• Favored Class: Ranger

Save or Die Spells
Save or Drop Deads
Finger of Death, Wail of the Banshee, Circle of Death, Slay Living, Weird, Phantasmal Killer, Symbol of Death
The target falls to -5 hp, and automatically fails all subsequent stabilisation checks. Break Enchantment (or a higher-level Cure spell used in the same way, or Remove Curse for spells of a lower level) removes the spell and returns the target to 0hp and unconscious. When the target falls to -10hp, they fall into a coma, are helpless, and take appropriate penalties for starvation and thirst if necessary. A Heal check DC 10 + spell level is necessary to realise the victim is still alive, unless that person knows the spell cast (spellcraft/Knowledge (arcana)). In order to come out of the coma, someone must perform 5 successful consecutive Heal checks (DC = Spell DC), and Break Enchantment cast at the same time.
For every round a character is unconscious from one of these spells, there is a cumulative 5% chance of losing one point from a random ability.

Cloudkill
As “Save or Drop Dead”, but comatose victim dies 1d4 rounds after reaching -10hp if not removed from the cloud.

Flesh to Whatever
Flesh to Stone, Glass strike, etc.
Target takes 1d6 Dex damage per round as their body turns to stone from the inside-out. When the target reaches 0 Dexterity, they are solid stone (or whatever). Cat’s Grace delays the transformation according to the extra Dex granted. Remove Disease slows the transformation by 1 round/3 caster levels. Break Enchantment ends the transformation. Once complete, removal applies as normal.

Baleful Polymorph/other Transformation
Transformation takes 2d4 rounds to complete. The Will save to retain self-awareness occurs the round after completion. If this save succeeds, the target may reattempt the Fortitude save in a number of rounds equal to ½ the caster level, at a new DC of the spell DC + the amount by which the first attempt was failed. If this save fails, the target may try again every 1d4 days + 1/previous attempt, at the new DC + 1 per attempt. A character that failed the initial Will save may retry in the same manner as the Fortitude save, before undergoing the Fortitude attempts.
- Too complicated?

“That Was So Cool” Spells
Power Word Kill?, Implosion, Destruction
The force of these spells has a magical kick-back that blasts the caster. If the target makes their save, the caster takes ¼ of the target’s HD in damage (e.g. 8d12HD = 2d12 damage). If the target fails, the caster takes ½ their HD in damage (Reflex save for half).

Disintegrate
A target that fails their Fort save takes 2d4 points of Con damage each round, of which 1 is drain, for a number of rounds equal to Caster Level. Bear’s Endurance slows it, but it can only be stopped before death with Break Enchantment.

Green Beam of Prismatic Spray
Target takes 1d6 Con/round until dead, or Break Enchantment used.Also, informally, I generally ignore multiclassing penalties.
More specifically, Weapons of Legacy do not usually have mechanical costs for using them. Instead, they have roleplaying and/or plot-related costs.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-08-07, 01:22 AM
Is that really something worth sweating over? I mean, geeze, that's small potatoes stuff. Really, really, tiny potatoes. Like potatoes for mice.If it happens enough, you have a heaping bowl of dubious mashed potatoes, unfortunately. Anyway, the main reason not to allow undos is to make people do the math right the first time. If they don't, well, too bad.

Ooh, right, multiclassing penalties. Do away with that horrendous mess.

Drachasor
2011-08-07, 01:24 AM
If it happens enough, you have a heaping bowl of dubious mashed potatoes, unfortunately. Anyway, the main reason not to allow undos is to make people do the math right the first time. If they don't, well, too bad.

I have had it happen both as a DM and as a player. I think it is small potatoes when it happens. I certainly don't think it is worth penalizing people who are a bit absentminded.

Psyren
2011-08-07, 01:29 AM
Is that really something worth sweating over? I mean, geeze, that's small potatoes stuff. Really, really, tiny potatoes. Like potatoes for mice.

Indeed; I'm more concerned if forgotten minuses are allowed to stand in the same way.

MeeposFire
2011-08-07, 01:30 AM
One of my houserules are to build NPCs using a modified vow of poverty. It includes the basic bonuses of VoP without bonus feats and other abilities that items always give you. I then give NPCs the items I want them to have without worrying about screwing over their basic stats. This also limits the amount of treasure to what I want to give and not the hue amount NPCs normally give. This also makes building easier since I don't have to add a bunch of items every time.

Drachasor
2011-08-07, 01:31 AM
Indeed; I'm more concerned if forgotten minuses are allowed to stand in the same way.

Hilarious.

gorfnab
2011-08-07, 02:06 AM
For my games:

A roll of 1 on the die for a melee attack provokes an attack of opportunity. Basically you swung your sword so wildly that you left yourself wide open for an attack by the enemy.

A roll of 1 on the die for a ranged attack either means the projectile went widely off course and is irretrievable/broken (50% chance) or you may have hit one of your allies by mistake (50% chance, reroll attack versus randomly determined ally)

TOZ
2011-08-07, 04:13 AM
No alignments. For determining mechanical effects, all creatures are Neutral unless they have an alignment aura or subtype. Smite X becomes Smite, usable on any target.

Fractional saves and BAB.

PCs gain maximum HP per level. Death occurs at -Con score. If healed to above -Con within one round, death is avoided.

On a roll of a natural 20, the first damage die is maximized.

Minimum skills per level is 4. Listen/Spot and Hide/Move Silent are consolidated to Perception and Stealth.

Edit: Oh, and no XP. Characters level at predetermined times, either by module or number of sessions completed.

Greenish
2011-08-07, 07:41 AM

Triple 20's are rare, but they do come up.Then remember that the enemies will also be rolling the dice.

If raised by orcs, all orc weapons are considered martial rather than exotic.What orc weapons are there? I can only think of shotput and double axe.

Fitz10019
2011-08-07, 07:49 AM
If you already have the feat that your new class level grants you, you can treat the class-granted feat as an open feat slot. This is sometimes useful to multiclassers.

These next two go together, and I'm still experimenting with them, so I can't recommend them to others yet.

Instead of +1 to any ability score at 4, 8, 12, etc., at those levels the point buy increases. You can push your 18 to 19, your 19 to 20, etc., using all of the additional points, or you could improve one or more of your lower scores. This option is meant to help MAD classes, like Paladin.

All races start with 2 feats and no ability modifiers. All other racial mechanics are kept, and Humans get Knack (as the Bardic alternative in PHBII, using HD in place of Bard levels). This way any build should work with any race, and hopefully the choice of race is an RP choice, not a build choice. And no one has asked to be a Water Orc.

Serpentine
2011-08-07, 08:00 AM
What orc weapons are there? I can only think of shotput and double axe.Yeah, there's not many, but I figure it leaves room for more if they're created, and/or the DM just decides to, say, call some fancy version of a great-axe the "orcish canyon-maker" or somesuch.

Greenish
2011-08-07, 08:28 AM
Yeah, there's not many, but I figure it leaves room for more if they're created, and/or the DM just decides to, say, call some fancy version of a great-axe the "orcish canyon-maker" or somesuch.Aww, I was hoping you'd noticed something I've missed. Shame orcs never got a races of… book. Races of Ill Repute: orcs and goblinoids!

Serpentine
2011-08-07, 08:50 AM
Aww, I was hoping you'd noticed something I've missed. Shame orcs never got a races of… book. Races of Ill Repute: orcs and goblinoids!I actually thought there was more than there is. In fact, it's so paltry, I wonder if I should give them something else...

Greenish
2011-08-07, 08:53 AM
I actually thought there was more than there is. In fact, it's so paltry, I wonder if I should give them something else...Brutal Throw for free to go with the shotputs? :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2011-08-07, 09:17 AM
Heh. Nah... What about that feat that lets you count as Large even though you're Medium? Or is that too much?

Gamer Girl
2011-08-07, 09:23 AM
I feel like this one should really be setting-dependent. Yeah, somewhere like Ravenloft your spells can go pretty wonky depending on how the Mists or those 4 curses you're harboring feel that day, but somewhere like Eberron they've got magic down practically to a science.

I'm fine with the 'down to a science' part, but it's still a unpredictable energy and it's as much of an art as a science.

Can I reroll afterward, or do I have to just sit there, though?

I'd probably show up at your games with ten backup sheets :smalltongue:

Most of my main players do this...lol.

Personally, I think knowledge skills are broken down too much already. They don't have a lot of utility really, and so are mostly flavor. Besides, even someone with Knowledge(arcana) isn't going to know everything. For one they'll have bad rolls, there will be DCs they can't make, and you can always make some things simply impossible since no lore has survived to be learned.

The big problem is characters never fail skill checks. Most 'average' skill checks will be under 30, and even a 5th level character will have a +20(or close to it) in the skills they use; or in other words they automatically make every single skill roll. Sure I can have every single lock in the game at minimum an Ethereal 5th dimensional admantimun lock, so that the 'common' DC for a lock is like 45. But the way I do it, is to break 'open locks' down into subcategories.

And it's worse with the general knowledge checks, like knowledge arcana. The player rolls a 30 and then says ''ok, lets stop the game for an hour and tell me absolutely everything about Dragon Magic.''

So, if someone shows up with a mailman, his invisible ocular searing split ray twinned empowered maximized orbs of fire somehow cause rocks to fall, and everyone subsequently dies? Or is it that any ol' mage casting fireball could get boned like he was simultaneously firing a rod of wonder and drawing from the deck of many things? I like the first interpretation.

It's not wild magic per say. It's more like casting a powerful spell within 100 feet of a gate may attract attention of something from the other side or casting a summoning spells within 50 feet of a gate might grab a monster or two from that plane too or some magic effects stack well, but some don't and create strange effects or powerful magic effects can alter the landscape by leakage or destruction of a magic item has strange effects when the magic inside is released and so on and so on.

And I like lots of 'drama magic', that never made it into the rules. For example the dying unicorn king has the character dip her blade in his blood and that gives the weapon a magic ability.

A couple more:

1.Monsters are DangerousUnlike the 3E feel where all monsters/creatures/races are fair and balanced, mine are different. So if you use vampire touch on an elf you will get a bit of 'elven life force' with and odd effect or two. If you try to read the mind of a demon you might take damage or another effect. Touching an elemental creature harms most mortals(a fire one will burn you, for example). Plenty of monster flesh is poisonous or at least harmful to most natural creatures.

2.No Roll PlayingIn general, players will not be told any game information during the game. You will be told the beast has a armored hide, but not that it's AC is 22. You will be told the spell grabs you with a weak force, but not that the DC is 14.

3.No questionsDuring a game a player may not ask out of character questions. Especially the two worst questions a character can ask: "Can I do that?" or ''Will that/this work'', as the answers will always be the same ''You can try to do anything'' and ''maybe''.

Greenish
2011-08-07, 09:27 AM
Heh. Nah... What about that feat that lets you count as Large even though you're Medium? Or is that too much?Depends on where it falls on Jotunbrud - Powerful Build - Actual Large (with reach) scale. Powerful Build is probably okay (if you don't already have races with it at +1 LA), Jotunbrud is just a feat. Large with reach would be a bit strong.

[Edit]:
The big problem is characters never fail skill checks. Most 'average' skill checks will be under 30, and even a 5th level character will have a +20(or close to it) in the skills they use; or in other words they automatically make every single skill roll. Sure I can have every single lock in the game at minimum an Ethereal 5th dimensional admantimun lock, so that the 'common' DC for a lock is like 45. But the way I do it, is to break 'open locks' down into subcategories.You're just joking with that Open Locks example, right? :smalleek:

Serpentine
2011-08-07, 09:31 AM
I was thinking of Powerful build, but what does Jotunbrud do?

Greenish
2011-08-07, 09:32 AM
I was thinking of Powerful build, but what does Jotunbrud do?Same, minus larger weapons.

Drachasor
2011-08-07, 09:33 AM
The big problem is characters never fail skill checks. Most 'average' skill checks will be under 30, and even a 5th level character will have a +20(or close to it) in the skills they use; or in other words they automatically make every single skill roll. Sure I can have every single lock in the game at minimum an Ethereal 5th dimensional admantimun lock, so that the 'common' DC for a lock is like 45. But the way I do it, is to break 'open locks' down into subcategories.

And it's worse with the general knowledge checks, like knowledge arcana. The player rolls a 30 and then says ''ok, lets stop the game for an hour and tell me absolutely everything about Dragon Magic.''

You approaching it from entirely the wrong angle (imho). If they are getting spells and items to boost their checks by 5 or 10 (which must be the case, since at 5th level you'll be hard-pressed to have more than a +13 normally), then you can disallow those spells. Barring that, you can move knowledge DCs up or disallow the use of those spells with knowledge (which represents what you KNOW right now). You can even do both.

Sounds though that the magic is the real problem there, so fix that and it will mostly sort itself out. Job done. That's a heck of a lot better than subdividing skills so that there is a huge skill bloat.

And again, as the GM you are perfectly capable of announcing that there is simply a significant limit to the knowledge of certain subjects, such as dragon magic.

So when they roll that 30, you can say ok, You just know this, this, and that. Now if you had rolled a 40, 50, 60...100, you might have found out more, but even then there'd be stuff that you just wouldn't have access to. Of course, they'd only actually be managing MAYBE a 25 on a take 10 without magic.

Boci
2011-08-07, 09:33 AM
3.No questionsDuring a game a player may not ask out of character questions. Especially the two worst questions a character can ask: "Can I do that?" or ''Will that/this work'', as the answers will always be the same ''You can try to do anything'' and ''maybe''.

I tend to use this rule as well, but sometimes its tricky. Players can ask this and mean "I want to know if this is going to be better than a full attack", but sometimes they mean "I've got a tricky plan that may succeed and will be fun reguardless, but will require a lot of ad hoc ruling from you. Do you mind?"

Gamer Girl
2011-08-07, 09:14 PM
You approaching it from entirely the wrong angle (imho). If they are getting spells and items to boost their checks by 5 or 10 (which must be the case, since at 5th level you'll be hard-pressed to have more than a +13 normally), then you can disallow those spells. Barring that, you can move knowledge DCs up or disallow the use of those spells with knowledge (which represents what you KNOW right now). You can even do both.

Sounds though that the magic is the real problem there, so fix that and it will mostly sort itself out. Job done. That's a heck of a lot better than subdividing skills so that there is a huge skill bloat.

I do run a high magic game. but that's not the problem. My normal players don't abuse the skill points, but others I game with do. It's just too easy to get too many pluses. First all characters will have high abilities, so a minimum of +4 to the skill check, plus a feat like skill focus and the feat that gives a bonus to the skill and and then max ranks. So at 5th level it's easy to get: 8 ranks+ 4 ability +3 skill focus +2 other feat is 17 right there. Add in synergy or racial bonuses or masterwork items can get you another +2 to +8. So your up to +20 for skill checks and this is all without magic.

So any DC of around 30 or less is pointless as they will automatically make it.

But just take Open Locks, and reduce it to a couple racial and regional types of locks for sub categories. Now a rogue can't have +20 and know absolutely everything about every single lock in the multiverse. If you take Open Locks(Dwarven) it's very little help vs locks of other races.

This also fits in good for story telling. By the rules a dwarven rouge from a reclusive and xenophobic dwarf hold automatically knows everything about every lock in the multiverse, despite the fact that he has only ever seen dwarven locks. Or a human from a cosmopolitan city, who still had never seen an elven lock would not automatically know everything about elven locks once they enter the elven kingdom.

I tend to use this rule as well, but sometimes its tricky. Players can ask this and mean "I want to know if this is going to be better than a full attack", but sometimes they mean "I've got a tricky plan that may succeed and will be fun reguardless, but will require a lot of ad hoc ruling from you. Do you mind?"

In general, gaming requires lots of ad hoc rulings, that's why there IS a DM, and not a 'fair and Balanced council of players(though 3E sure tried to push this idea with the AllMighty Rules). But my answer would still be 'maybe' or 'you'd need to try it'.

ZombiePunch
2011-08-08, 11:29 PM
Dodge = +1 AC
Max hit points levels 1-5
minimum half hit points levels 6->
44 point build
maximum 2 flaws
Level Adjustment +3 or greater disallowed
Bonus feat given on birthdays

Serpentine
2011-08-09, 12:11 AM
Huh... Apparently I haven't written down my houserule for hit points: Roll them as normal. If you roll lower than average, just take the average.

DeAnno
2011-08-09, 12:34 AM
My games tend to be very houserules light, but a couple I can remember:

-Undead PCs with Create Spawn may/should trade it for Unholy Toughness (+Cha*HD to hp)

-Gestalt characters with LA have it apply to both sides, but the value of the LA is divided by two (rounded up). Racial HD are run up one side of the progression like a class.

-Feats from Character Level can be chosen before you choose your next class level, such that you can choose a feat which meets a prerequisite on the same level you take a prestige class (this does not apply to skills, since your class decides what skill points you get). [I didn't know this was even a houserule until recently]

-Certain monsters with class levels have an NPC wealth of their CR "built in" to the monster in the form of abilities and bonuses (a Vampire with Warlock levels might have a set of real (lootable) gear; a Warforged Charger with Frenzied Berzerker levels will have extra (unlootable) parts built on that approximate the effects of gear)

-Characters with Two Weapon Fighting making full attacks may make pairs of simultaneous swings, such that invisibility and similar would last for both attacks in one pair

-Celerity can't be used to interrupt an attack action that is already happening (you get your standard action after it resolves). If Celerity is cast in response to Celerity, the second caster gets to act first (this can create Mexican standoffs)

-We also use the +30/-10 rule for skill checks on natural 20 and 1 respectively (we have no critical fumble on attack rolls)

-We use the Flat XP reward system from Unearthed Arcana. This isn't technically a "houserule", but I get the impression it is used very rarely (it does enable the more causal use of XP consuming spells such as Limited Wish and Alter Fortune)

-Monster Campaigns! Here you select a monster of a certain CR (using templates and normal monster HD advancement is allowed, and you select feats and skills of your choice, but you can't take class levels and get no gear) These were usually fun little oneshots where character building was simple and we saw some interesting stuff happen.

Arbane
2011-08-09, 01:17 AM
I do run a high magic game. but that's not the problem. My normal players don't abuse the skill points, but others I game with do. It's just too easy to get too many pluses. First all characters will have high abilities, so a minimum of +4 to the skill check, plus a feat like skill focus and the feat that gives a bonus to the skill and and then max ranks. So at 5th level it's easy to get: 8 ranks+ 4 ability +3 skill focus +2 other feat is 17 right there. Add in synergy or racial bonuses or masterwork items can get you another +2 to +8. So your up to +20 for skill checks and this is all without magic.

I can't help thinking if you're burning multiple feats on a skill, you DESERVE to be reliably good at it.

But then I remember that skills are for non-casters, and Non-Casters Don't Get Nice Things. :-P

Drachasor
2011-08-09, 07:39 AM
I can't help thinking if you're burning multiple feats on a skill, you DESERVE to be reliably good at it.

But then I remember that skills are for non-casters, and Non-Casters Don't Get Nice Things. :-P

Well, non-casters can have nice things as long as they get them from magical items, I guess. That seems to be where that house-rule goes, imho.

Heck, why bother spending any points in those open lock spells? Just get a magical item with Knock. Job done. Need information? Use a spell (or just grab a few points in all the knowledge skills and use magical items to boost your roll). How dare those plebeian non-casters do anything on their own!

And it isn't like knowing a whole bunch of stuff about the mechanics of locking mechanisms in general is going to help you understand a brand new design of lock, right? I mean, new locks operate under completely different laws of physics.

Again, seems to me like adjusting the DCs (if that's a problem, but I agree people spending FEATS on skills in 3.x deserve to be good at them) and what is knowable is a more sensible way to go there.

Edit: Sorry about giving you a hard time on this Gamer Girl. I think your house rules for skills are crazy, but mayhaps I overdid the criticism.

Huh... Apparently I haven't written down my houserule for hit points: Roll them as normal. If you roll lower than average, just take the average.

We do the same thing at our table. I don't remember much else of what we did since it's been a long time since we played D&D.

Hmm, in Star Wars SAGA we also make the athletics skill (combining climb, jump, and swim into one skill).

big teej
2011-08-09, 11:27 PM
+1 to chucking multi-class penalties, totally forgot about that
as far as I'm concerned, the only "penalty" for multi-classing, is not reaching level 20 in anything.

For my games:

A roll of 1 on the die for a melee attack provokes an attack of opportunity. Basically you swung your sword so wildly that you left yourself wide open for an attack by the enemy.

A roll of 1 on the die for a ranged attack either means the projectile went widely off course and is irretrievable/broken (50% chance) or you may have hit one of your allies by mistake (50% chance, reroll attack versus randomly determined ally)

oooh... I might have to add that in/switch it out.

whenever a ranged attack flubs in my game (currently) either the bowstring or the firing mechanism on the weapon breaks.

I see a common one (not necessarily in this thread, just in general) being death at negative con score, instead of negative 10.

what has been you're experience with this?

Then remember that the enemies will also be rolling the dice.

well aware, my party accepts that any given thing that applies to them, applies to enemies.

it's surprising how many shenanigans and loopholes the players refuse to persue when informed of that.

If you already have the feat that your new class level grants you, you can treat the class-granted feat as an open feat slot. This is sometimes useful to multiclassers.

this may make it into my list....

ooh, one I just remembered that I'm considering implementing
any "race" weapons - the specified race is considered proficient.

examples
Dwarven Waraxe
Elven Doublebow
Orc Shotput

this is required because there is already another standing houserule.
"all exotic weapons count as martial*"

* - I want to know why you're picking it, and this reason must satisfy me.

I allow up to 2 traits and 2 flaws.
so far, nobody's taken either (except for me of course)

I wouldn't call it a "rule" per say, but I went through the effort to create a Master Race/class list and went through EVERY sourcebook I had, typed up every LA 0 AND + 1 race size, type, stat adjustments, racial abilities, etc. for my players.

having done all of that, asking for something outside of that list is likely to be shot down.

as for LA and RHD
situationally - I will ignore LA and allow the character to be played as an x level character, where x is racial hit die.
I.E. one could play an Ogre as a 4th level character. not 6th

-Feats from Character Level can be chosen before you choose your next class level, such that you can choose a feat which meets a prerequisite on the same level you take a prestige class (this does not apply to skills, since your class decides what skill points you get). [I didn't know this was even a houserule until recently]

....that's a houserule?

-adds to list-

yes I am going through the whole thread commenting on things that stick out to me, deal with it =D

Greenish
2011-08-09, 11:32 PM
"all exotic weapons count as martial*"

* - I want to know why you're picking it, and this reason must satisfy me.Because Greatbow is more effective than longbow? Because Jovar kills people deader than greatsword? :smalltongue:

big teej
2011-08-10, 12:46 AM
Because Greatbow is more effective than longbow? Because Jovar kills people deader than greatsword? :smalltongue:

and both would be vetoed :smalltongue:

not because of your reasoning.
because of the houserule before all others

"If I do not possess a source in hardcopy, it's banned"

and then you're reasoning :smallbiggrin:

on a more serious note, this is because the great majority (if not all) exotic weapons .... well.
suck.

the mouth darts for instance, fukimi bari if I recall correctly.
given how gimpy poision use is to begin with....
and the utter hilarity of you rolling a 1

if you're concept as given justifies the use, tada, you get to have them.

Greenish
2011-08-10, 01:01 AM
on a more serious note, this is because the great majority (if not all) exotic weapons .... well.
suck.Actually, almost all exotic weapons are straight up better than their martial counterpart. Just not enough to be worth a feat.

Fitz10019
2011-08-10, 02:19 AM
In our rules, a racially-named weapon is martial to members of that race. So an Elf Rogue would not automatically be proficient with an Elven courtblade, but an Elf Ranger would.

opticalshadow
2011-08-10, 02:31 AM
im a pretty raw kind of guy, both by the rules and by the outcome. i dont fudge numbers, i dont give second chances, i keep my poker face on at all times, if your doing something you shouldnt youll figure it out.

i give a solem warning pre game,
"you are but a small group of people in a limitless multiverse. as of now your weak, non noteworthy, and would not be any more then buzzard food if you fail. you will get stronger, and take care in knowing you will attract attention, anything you can do, so can somethign else, and likly alot better"

its a forwarnign of the fact i wont disallow most things. i use pretty much all books without much restriction. but the players are warned ill scale their game to them if they start cheesing out. generally ive never had a problem, the by the rules game gives a fair enviorment, nothing has plot armor, nothign is made up without being supported by the system. it means their mistakes are their owns, and their victories are well earned.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-08-10, 06:51 AM
There's only two of mine that I feel are uncommon enough to be worth mentioning:

All classes get all skills as a class skill, basically. This is in addition to every class that isn't an Intelligence-based caster getting at least 2 more skill points per level. I always hated how hard it was to get some skills on some classes (or any skills as a Fighter).
A natural 1 on an attack roll is a crit fail. (And a collective gasp was heard from the community.) However, you need to confirm it; since a critical hit needs to confirm with a hit, it only makes sense that a critical miss would need to confirm with a miss. If it's confirmed, you provoke an AoO. That's all. No sword across the room, no stabbing your friend and auto-critting, no instant destruction of all your possessions; just an AoO. That the enemy might not even be able to take, depending on what's happened so far in the round.

Serpentine
2011-08-10, 07:11 AM
I use natural 1s as critical failures (with confirmation), but half the time it's the player in question who decides what happens, and it's never catastrophic (i.e. no insta-suicides).

Fitz10019
2011-08-10, 12:00 PM
"orcish canyon-maker"
I keep misreading this as "crayon maker."

"If you don't start co-operating, I'm going to turn you into a pile of crayons." [Intimidation circumstance bonus +2]

I really like the idea that after a battle, and even after healing, your characters would still look like they've been through heck. Currently, my group acts as though every healing spell includes a dash of prestidigitation to clean things up.

big teej
2011-08-10, 03:09 PM
Actually, almost all exotic weapons are straight up better than their martial counterpart. Just not enough to be worth a feat.

it's that "not worth a feat" clause I'm refering to.

Lyndworm
2011-08-10, 04:04 PM
I play with a very similar idea, though it's not technically a houserule, I suppose. Healing magic forces wounds to heal, but they don't heal well. Melee types are covered in scar tissue, have gnarled fingers, twisted bones, so on and so forth. All injuries have lasting effects, even if they're not mechanical. If you want to be pretty use regeneration. Cure spells keep you alive and that's about it.

Anyhoo... For a full list of my rules you can go here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195185), but I'll quote the simple ones.

General Homebrew/Houserules:
No XP-penalties for multiclassing, Favored Class does not exist.

Cross class skills cost one point per rank (but the cap remains in place). This mean a Factotum dip essentially makes every skill in class forever.

Detect Chaos/Evil/Good/Law is rolled into a single spell: Detect Alignment. At the time of casting, you must choose what Alignment you wish to detect. Ditto for Protection from Alignment and so on.

Detect Alignment only shows recent "taint" on a creature's Alignment, and as such is not as useful on most creatures.

Alignment restrictions do not exist. Alignment is an actual physical force in the world, but the vast majority of people have no reliable method of detecting it.

LA buy-off is in effect.

Fractional BAB/Saves are in effect, but the starting +2 from having a "good" save can only be applied once.

All characters get a bonus general feat and a bonus Regional feat at 1st level (if you make a good argument for why you should have a feat as a Regional feat, you can take it; I've been slow on actually making the Regional feats).

Consolidated Skill List:
Acrobatics - Dex
Athletics - Str
Concentration - Con
Craft - Int
Deception - Cha
Diplomacy - Cha
Disable Device - Int
Knowledge - Int (Academia, Arcane, Cosmology, Divine, Location, Medicine, Nature)
Perception - Wis
Perform - Cha
Profession - Wis
Read/Write Language - N/A
Speak Language - N/A
Stealth - Dex
Thievery - Dex
Use Magic Device - Cha
Death occurs at a number of negative HP equal to your Constitution score instead of -10, with -10 being the default for anyone with a Constitution score under 10.

Gestalt rules are in effect. Players can progress two PrCs at once with no penalty. Dual-progression PrCs are typically allowed, but may be modified or turned into feats instead.

There's no casting time increase for spontaneously cast metamagic-modified spells.
Combat Homebrew/Houserules:
Power Attack, Weapon Finesse, and Reckless Offense (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#recklessOffense) are standard options available to anyone and everyone without a feat.

Called Shots are standard combat options available to anyone and everyone without a feat. By subtracting a number from your ranged attack rolls (up to a maximum of your BAB) you may add that same number to damage rolls.

Ranged attacks add Dexterity to damage.

TWF penalties give -4 for the main hand and -8 for the off-hand. A light weapon reduces the off-hand penalty by 2, and the TWF feat reduces main hand penalties by 2 and off-hand penalties by 4.

Shield bonuses provided by physical items stack. (Wielding two shields gives you both bonuses.)

Hand-and-a-half weapons (like the bastard sword) add 1.5xStrength to damage and Power Attack on a 1:2 basis, like two-handed weapons.

Whips threaten within their reach and allow a single extra Attack of Opportunity a round, but only if both attacks are made by the whip (this stacks with Combat Reflexes).

Arbane
2011-08-10, 08:59 PM
I play with a very similar idea, though it's not technically a houserule, I suppose. Healing magic forces wounds to heal, but they don't heal well. Melee types are covered in scar tissue, have gnarled fingers, twisted bones, so on and so forth. All injuries have lasting effects, even if they're not mechanical. If you want to be pretty use regeneration. Cure spells keep you alive and that's about it.

So by around 5th level, your typical fighter looks like a Spam Golem? :smallfrown:

Lyndworm
2011-08-10, 10:09 PM
I like that imagery very, very much.

Malimar
2011-08-10, 11:01 PM
My major ones:

An attack roll of 1 is a threat for a critical miss, which works just like the inverse of a threat for a critical hit: you roll to confirm the fumble, and if your confirmation roll would miss your target, you have critically fumbled.
If you critical fumble on the last attack you would make on your turn, various bad things happen (e.g.: you hit yourself or an ally, your weapon breaks, you provoke an attack of opportunity, you're flat-footed for the rest of the round, you fall prone, etc). If you still have attacks left to make when you critical fumble, you lose them, but nothing else bad happens.
A character may have up to two base classes without an experience penalty, or three if one of them is their racial favored class (or if their racial favored class is “any”). After that, experience penalties for multi-classing apply.
I use a modified version of Unearthed Arcana's level adjust reduction:A character’s level adjustment may be reduced at any time (including at character creation), provided the character has enough experience. You may spend as much experience as you desire, but your total experience cannot go below zero. Your class levels are never reduced in this way, no matter how much experience you spend.
Starting LA : XP Cost
1 : 6,000
2 : 11,000; 13,000
3 : 16,000; 21,000; 23,000
4 : 21,000; 29,000; 34,000; 36,000
5 : 26,000; 37,000; 45,000; 50,000; 52,000
6 : 31,000; 45,000; 56,000; 64,000; 69,000; 71,000
7 : 36,000; 53,000; 67,000; 78,000; 86,000; 91,000; 93,000
8 : 41,000; 61,000; 78,000; 92,000; 103,000; 111,000; 116,000; 118,000
9 : 46,000; 69,000; 89,000; 106,000; 120,000; 131,000; 139,000; 144,000; 146,000
For example, a character with a +3 level adjust may reduce it to +2 by spending 16,000 XP, to +1 by spending another 21,000, and to +0 by spending another 23,000.
Bloodline levels are level adjustment and nothing more, and they can be reduced with the above rules; the experience cost to do so is determined by the bloodline strength (+1 for Minor, +2 for Intermediate, +3 for Major).
Empty levels in monster class progressions which don't add hit dice are also treated as LA, and may be reduced at any point. The experience cost to do so is determined by the final LA of the monster.
The reincarnate spell chooses randomly from custom lists (http://luduscarcerum.blogspot.com/2011/06/custom-reincarnate-tables-2-all-of-them.html). A creature is overwhelmingly likely to be reincarnated as a creature of its type and somewhat less likely to be reincarnated as a creature of a different but similar type.
The experience of dying and returning to life leaves a person drained of vitality even beyond the loss of a level. Upon resurrection, a character is aged a number of years equal to 1d20 minus their Constitution modifier (a negative Constitution modifier can increase the number of years aged).
There are no negative levels. In place of each negative level bestowed, the victim immediately ages 3d10 years. The victim may immediately roll a fortitude saving throw at the same difficulty as removing the negative level; if this saving throw succeeds, the aging is halved. If the victim receives a restoration spell within 24 hours, the aging is reversed; otherwise, it is permanent.
If you are a prepared caster, casting a level 0 spell does not remove it from your mind. If you are a spontaneous caster, casting a level 0 spell does not use up a spell slot.
This does not apply to Cure Minor Wounds or Repair Minor Damage, nor does it apply to any spell-like abilities. If you use a level 0 spell or spell slot to do anything other than cast that particular spell (e.g., spontaneously cast Inflict Minor Wounds by sacrificing a different spell), it still unprepares the spell/uses the spell slot. If you apply a metamagic effect to a level 0 spell, casting it unprepares the spell/uses the spell slot, even if it doesn't change the spell's level.

I have one or two others that I'm in the process of phasing out or considering phasing out, having realized that they make the game neither more fun nor more realistic.

NichG
2011-08-11, 01:57 AM
I've got some weird ones for a high-powered game I run.

- Optional per character: All things that add an attribute to a statistic have an additional non-stacking type [X to Y]. This includes things that are normally added to the attribute, and bonuses from other characters (like Marshal auras). So Monks replace Dex to AC with Wis to AC rather than getting both.
- In exchange, the character gets to have a unique ability (that scales with their level or whatever) that is normally impossible in D&D. For instance, the ability to 'dab' objects into a paint brush and paint them down later, perhaps mixing 'paints' to get hybrid objects.

- Abilities that provoke a save with a DC above 50 become two-step. Hitting a 50 but failing the higher save subjects the target to a lesser effect rather than the full affect of the ability. Usually this is some form of ability damage or drain. When the save DC exceeds 100, the 'lower' save starts increasing at a rate of 1 per 2.

- If you double the save DC of an effect, you resist better than normal - you can help someone else make the save, get the effect of Evasion or Mettle even if you didn't have it, etc.

- You can create items that are not magical but are wondrous in their craftsmanship by hitting extremely high Craft DCs. At DC 50, you can make a mundane item that emulates a 1st level spell. At DC 70, you can make an item that emulates a 2nd level spell, and so on. Situational modifiers exist based on the type of crafting used and the effect, so it's easier to make a flamethrower (Burning Hands) with Craft(Metalsmithing) than with Craft(Painting).

- If more than 10 extra actions are generated in a round cumulative, time is 'stressed' and things that would grant extra actions do not function for another 1d4 rounds. E.g. if more than one person throws down a maximized intensified Time Stop...

- Players are encouraged to take average on all damage results, and can generally choose to take (non-natural) 1 on rolls.

- (Laundry list of minor spell fixes and nerfs and the like)

TOZ
2011-08-12, 01:51 AM
I use natural 1s as critical failures (with confirmation), but half the time it's the player in question who decides what happens, and it's never catastrophic (i.e. no insta-suicides).

You sir, may have just single-handedly brought fumbles back to my game.

I'll let you know if my players appreciate it. :)

Serpentine
2011-08-12, 04:06 AM
Might be worth noting that, I expect, this works best with players who love the flaws and foibles of their characters at least as much as their strengths and so enjoy doing things with them that tend not to be ideal. e.g. the low-Wisdom Rogue who makes the Will save to, say, not press the big red button but decides to do it anyway because dammit it's a big red button!

big teej
2011-08-12, 10:37 PM
after last session

2 new houserules for me...

disjunction is banned

I need a monk fix.

I reserve the right to deny players access to a evil and/or chaotic alignment, based upon their real world personality

EDIT:

I remembered another one.
I allow the animal trait spells to be permanencied.

EDIT:EDIT:
I remebmered another one.

"none of that 'cleric of a cause' crap"