PDA

View Full Version : Vote up an epic spell

137beth
2011-08-06, 05:14 PM
So, I looked at the various vote up a __ threads, and saw nothing intended for epic play (Edit from a year later: the various voting threads I just referred to were those that were running at the time I created this thread). So just for the heck of it, I decided to see who would want to vote up an epic spell.

Phase 1: Base Seed
Yes, I am aware that a lot of the more interesting epic spells use more than one seed. This vote is to determine the "main" seed (which also determines the school of the final spell). We will vote on any secondary seeds later. Vote for as many seeds as you want (just not all), but you may not give more than one vote to a single seed. You also get several detractor votes (count as -1 votes each) (again, you can give no more than 1 detractor vote to a single seed). You do not have to use all of your detractor votes (or even use any of them), but the total number of detractor votes you use must be LESS than the number of normal votes you use.
{table=head]Seed | Votes
Afflict|0
Animate|2
Animate Dead|2
Armor|1
Banish|0
Compel|1
Conceal|0
Conjure|2
Contact|
Delude|1
Destroy|-2
Dispel|1
Energy|-2
Foresee|2
Fortify|3
Heal|1
Life|3
Reflect|2
Reveal|
Slay|4
Summon|0
Transform|4
Transport|1
Ward|3[/Table]

Voting will close on August 9th.

Phase 2: Base Seed tie-breaker

For this round, vote for as many of the top 5 as you like (just not all). There are NO DETRACTOR VOTES this time.

{table=head]Seed | Votes
Fortify|2
Life|2
Slay|3
Transform|4
Ward|6[/Table]

And the primary seed is Ward!

Phase 3: Primary Effect
Most epic spell seeds, including ward, have several base effects to choose between. In this phase we will decide which of those we will use. To vote, simply rank your choices from favorite to least favorite.

{table=head]Use | Points
Resist particular damage type (either bludgeoning, slashing, or piercing)|16.66666
Resist energy type (fire, cold, ect.)|11.66666
Ward certain type|34
Ward certain subtype|20
Protect against magic|25.66666[/Table]
Note: people who left choices blank had their unallocated votes divided equally among choices. This can leave certain options with non-integer points.
Scoring system:A simple point system. The rankings of your choices determines how many points are allotted:
1st: 9 points
2nd: 5 points
3rd: 3 points
4th: 1 point
5th: 0 points

And the winner is: ward against a certain creature type!
Phase 4: Type targeted, part 1
Last phase we decided that this spell will ward against all creatures of a particular type. Now, we will decide WHICH type. This will happen in two phases. For this phase, the voting process is the same as it was during phase 1, except that your total detractor votes can EQUAL (but not exceed) your total normal votes (so if you vote for 5 types, you can de-vote up to 5).

{table=head]Type | Votes
Aberration | 1
Animal | -1
Construct | -1
Dragon | 3
Elemental | 1
Fey | -1
Giant | -1
Humanoid | 2
Magical Beast | -1
Monstrous Humanoid | 1
Ooze | -2
Outsider | 4
Plant | -2
Undead | 4
Vermin | -3[/table]

And that's the end of the round! The top 7 were aberration, dragon, elemental, humanoid, monstrous humanoid, outsider, and undead. After that, there was a tie, so I'll break the tie: Construct will be moving on as well.

Phase 5: Targeted type, part 2
Of the 8 remaining types (aberration, construct, dragon, elemental, humanoid, monstrous humanoid, outsider, and undead), rank your choices from favorite. The spell will ward against a creature of the selected type.

And the results:
{table=head]Type | Points
Aberration | 13
Construct|4
Dragon | 22.25
Elemental | 16.25
Humanoid | 0
Monstrous Humanoid | 4
Outsider | 25
Undead | 4[/table]
And the spell wards against outsiders!
Phase 6: Secondary effect
Now, for the interesting phase! Currently, the only effect the spell has is what is given in the seed description:

A ward against a specific type of creature prevents bodily contact from whichever one of several monster types the caster selects. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature. The protection ends if the warded creature makes an attack against or intentionally moves within 5 feet of the blocked creature. Spell resistance can allow a creature to overcome this protection and touch the warded creature.
So y'all can come up with secondary effects. ANY effects you enter WILL be voted on!
As an example:If any outsider attempts to come within 5 feet of you, or use a spell or spell-like ability which specifically targets you, they are banished to their home plane (will save to resist).
Note that as a result the spell will likely have multiple seeds used. Any or all nominated abilities could make it into the final spell, depending on the vote.
Other ideas:
--You may attack an outsider without losing protection against them. Any attacks you make which specifically target an outsider also deal negative levels (exact number to be decided later).--137ben

--Any outsiders near you must make a will save at the beginning of every turn, or be tempted to attack you. If an outsider fails its save, it must spend its turn moving directly towards you as fast as it can (running if it has normal movement). If it is flying, it turns in your direction as much as possible. If a flying outsider moving straight towards you would need to descend faster than it otherwise could, it descends as steeply as possible until directly over you or until the end of its movement, then it falls. If the outsider comes within 5 feet of you as a result, it takes damage. You may exempt a specific outsider from this as a free action.--137ben

From Travellog:
1) Reverse outsider's stats such that:
Strength<->Dex, Int<->Wis and Con<->Cha.

2) Absorb the essence of an outsider's alignment and grant fitting bonuses (like auto-Axiomatic Strike, stat boosts, etc.)

3) Force the outsider to make a will save or be considered bound to an item owned by the wielder.

4) Outsider's that come into contact with the ward must make a will save or turn against their allies. If no other allies are present, the outsider offers it's services to the party temporarily.

5) An outsider which comes into contact with the ward must make a Con save, followed by a will save. If the Con save fails, the outsider temporarily loses all benefits of being an outsider. If both saves fail, it is permanently considered humanoid and is bound to the material plane.

From Eledragon:

make yourself undetectable by outsiders?
instantly plane shift outsiders to a plane opposite their alignment?
cause outsiders to be bound to your will, or trap them in a planelocked orb of force?

Turn the outsider into the most similar creature that isn't an outsider?

Temporarily invert the alignment of any outsider that attacks you?

attempts to kill the outsider and if it succeeds it is brought back as some sort of undead.

I like the whole "make the outsider no longer and outsider" idea. It is a ... suitably epic act.

You could also have a "reverse polarity" spell. outsiders with the good subtype have it changed to evil. the Water subtype turns to fire. This effect sweeps through the outsider and changes its outlook, as well as neccessary aspects of its physical form. I don't know if the elemental type is as easily changed as the alignment type though.

aha! on the elemental, there are interesting changes you can make: any burrow speed is turned into a fly speed at X4, and fly speeds become burrow speeds at X 1/4. The fire subtype changes to both water and cold, and damage simply becomes cold damage. As for water to fire... thats the hard change....

Phase 7: Secondary effect voting
The compiled list of suggested secondary effects are:
1. If any outsider attempts to come within 5 feet of you, or use a spell or spell-like ability which specifically targets you, they are banished to their home plane (will save to resist). (137ben)
2. You may attack an outsider without losing protection against them. Any attacks you make which specifically target an outsider also deal negative levels (exact number to be decided later).(137ben)
3.Any outsiders near you must make a will save at the beginning of every turn, or be tempted to attack you. If an outsider fails its save, it must spend its turn moving directly towards you as fast as it can (running if it has normal movement). If it is flying, it turns in your direction as much as possible. If a flying outsider moving straight towards you would need to descend faster than it otherwise could, it descends as steeply as possible until directly over you or until the end of its movement, then it falls. If the outsider comes within 5 feet of you as a result, it takes damage. You may exempt a specific outsider from this as a free action. (137ben)
4. Reverse outsider's stats such that:
Strength<->Dex, Int<->Wis and Con<->Cha. (travellog)
5. Absorb the essence of an outsider's alignment and grant fitting bonuses (like auto-Axiomatic Strike, stat boosts, etc.) (travellog)
6. Force the outsider to make a will save or be considered bound to an item owned by the wielder. (travellog)
7. Outsider's that come into contact with the ward must make a will save or turn against their allies. If no other allies are present, the outsider offers it's services to the party temporarily. (travellog)
8. An outsider which comes into contact with the ward must make a Con save, followed by a will save. If the Con save fails, the outsider temporarily loses all benefits of being an outsider. If both saves fail, it is permanently considered humanoid and is bound to the material plane. (travellog)
9. make yourself undetectable by outsiders? (eledragon)
10. instantly plane shift outsiders to a plane opposite their alignment? (eledragon)
11. cause outsiders to be bound to your will (eledragon)
12. trap them in a planelocked orb of force (eledragon)
13.Turn the outsider into the most similar creature that isn't an outsider? (master256)
14.Temporarily invert the alignment of any outsider that attacks you? (Zale)
15. attempts to kill the outsider and if it succeeds it is brought back as some sort of undead. (razoroftruth)
16. You could also have a "reverse polarity" spell. outsiders with the good subtype have it changed to evil. the Water subtype turns to fire. This effect sweeps through the outsider and changes its outlook, as well as neccessary aspects of its physical form. I don't know if the elemental type is as easily changed as the alignment type though. aha! on the elemental, there are interesting changes you can make: any burrow speed is turned into a fly speed at X4, and fly speeds become burrow speeds at X 1/4. The fire subtype changes to both water and cold, and damage simply becomes cold damage. As for water to fire... thats the hard change....(erictheredd)
17. Reduces the Outsider to Fine size. (malimar)
18. Polymorphs the Outsider into a newt. (malimar)
19. Pelts the Outsider with rocks. (malimar)
Of the 19 ideas, vote for as many as you want (just list the numbers, e.g. "I vote for 3.6.7. and 12). Any or all of them could make it into the final spell!
And the winning effects are 6, 7, 8, 10, 14, and 16!
New round will be up soon...
Here are the effects as they stand:
This spell wards against bodily contact by outsiders. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature. The protection ends if the warded creature makes an attack against or intentionally moves within 5 feet of the blocked creature. Spell resistance can allow a creature to overcome this protection and touch the warded creature.
Additionally, any outsider that comes within 300 feet of the warded creature must make a Will save, or have its alignment inverted permanently. Any alignment-related subtypes are also reversed. If its save fails, it must make a fortitude save or have its elemental traits reversed: A fly speed becomes a burrow speed, and 1/4 the original fly speed. A burrow speed becomes a fly speed (4*original burrow speed), a swim speed becomes lightning resistance (couldn't think of anything better), and lightning resistance becomes a swim speed. All SAs/Natural attacks that deal cold damage become fire, and vice versa. All immunities/vulnerabilities/resistances to fire become cold, and vice versa.
Regardless of the results of the previous saves, the outsider must then make a Will save or lose all benefits (but not drawbacks) of being an outsider for 1 hour. If it fails its save, it must immediately make a Fortitude save or permanently be considered a humanoid.
Regardless of the results of the previous saves, the outsider (or former outsider) must then make a Will save or be transported to a plane which is opposite its alignment.
If the outsider is still within 300 ft of the warded creature, it must make a Will save or turn against their allies. If no other allies are present, the outsider offers it's services to the creature temporarily.
If, after all that, the (former) outsider is still alive, hostile, and within 300 ft. of the warded creature, it must make a Will save or be affected by a Soul Bind spell (except that the save DC is that of an epic spell, not a 9th level spell).
The caster may exempt any outsider from any of these effects, at the caster's option. The caster decides before each saving throw whether the outsider has to make it. The caster knows the results of any previous saves before deciding whether to exempt an outsider from subsequent saves.

Phase 8: Duration, part 1:
As written, the spell has several durations. The temperary debuff to outsiders who avoid being turned into humaniods has a duration of 1 hour, the actual ward lasts 24, and everything else is permanent. The stuff that is already permanent will stay permanent, and the other two durations will be decided in two phases. This phase has two parts:
First, vote on the duration for the main ward (how long is the target protected against outsiders). Vote from favorite to least favorite, either
a)permanent, b)more than 1 day (not permanent), or c)1 day or less.
Then, vote for the duration of the temporary debuff (that makes them lose all benefits of being an outsider), either "more than 1 day", or "less than 1 day". (e.g., for the first vote, permanent, more than one day, less than 1 day, and for the second vote less than one day).
Phase 9: Duration, part 2:
So, I inconveniently forgot one of the effects (effect 7: The outsider turns against its allies, or temporarily offers its services to the party). Fortunately, Rafinius reminded me. But since effect 7 is TEMPORARY, it should have been included in the previous phase *facepalm*.
So, now, we'll vote on part 1 of deciding the duration of effect #7. This vote will work the same as the previous vote, except we are only voting on one effect. From favorite to least favorite, say less than a day, more than a day, and permanent.
And done!
--The outsider can temporarily lose benefits of being an outsider for more than 1 day.
--The outsider can fight on your side for less than a day.
--The ward's main duration is less than a day.

Phase 10: Duration, part 3:
Now, we can (finally) decide the exact duration of the effects! There are three things to vote on in this phase:
First, outsiders affected by the aura of this spell can temporarily lose all benefits of being an outsider. This duration is at least 1 day. Choose a time duration in days, between 1 and 100 (if the duration is more than 100 days...you may as well have tried making it permanent, which we voted not to do).

Second, outsiders who fail a save will temporarily assist the warded creature. Pick the duration of this effect, in hours (max 24 hours), and I will average your votes together.

Finally, vote for the duration of the main spell effect (pick a number of hours, max 24 hours).

Voting will close on May 24, at which point we will (finally) be done with duration, and move on to range/area!
And, done! The outsider can lose its type benefits for 20 days, can assist the warded creature for 18 hours, and the ward lasts for 17 hours!
Phase 11: Target:
Right now, what we have is a single-target spell. For this phase, you have a choice between keeping it singe target, making it personal, making it multi-target, and making it an area effect. Rank the four choices from favorite to least favorite (unless you specify otherwise, I will assume the first one you list is your favorite, etc.) Voting will close May 25, at which point we will move on to casting time!
And the winner is: Multi-target!
Phase 12: Target, part 2 and caster level checks:
There are three questions to decide in this phase:
First, it is a non-area multi-target spell, so we need to decide how many creatures it targets. Just pick a number of targets.

Second, we might want to give it a bonus to overcome spell resistance (while it is a harmless effect, outsiders affected by the warded creatures' aura may have SR). Vote either "yes" or "no" for getting a bonus to overcome SR.

Finally, we might want to give it a bonus to effective-caster level against being dispelled. This is also a yes/no vote (if yes wins, then we will decide the exact bonus in the next phase).

These are all pretty simple votes, so this phase will end June 4.

Zale
2011-08-06, 05:17 PM
I vote for Ward, Slay and Life.

NeoSeraphi
2011-08-06, 05:20 PM
I vote for Compel, Armor, Heal and Transform, and I detract from Destroy, Banish and Energy

Xefas
2011-08-06, 05:56 PM
I vote for Conjure.

UrsielHauke
2011-08-06, 06:32 PM
I vote for forsee, slay, and animate dead, and detract from life and compel.

GideonRiddle
2011-08-06, 07:33 PM
I vote for Slay and Life.

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-06, 08:12 PM
I vote for animate dead and summon, and I detract from slay.

Dracomortis
2011-08-06, 09:07 PM
I vote for Afflict and Animate Dead and detract from Heal.

Domriso
2011-08-06, 09:45 PM
I vote for Conjure, Delude, and Transport and detract from Animate Dead and Transform.

nolispe
2011-08-06, 09:58 PM
I vote for Conjure, Fortify, and Heal and detract from Slay and Animate Dead

Xzoltar
2011-08-06, 11:19 PM
I cast a Epic vote to Dispel, Ward, Reflect, Transport, Foresee, Conceal, Banish and Armor

I detract Destroy, Energy, Afflict, Animate Dead, Slay, Conjure and Summon

Ophiel
2011-08-07, 06:21 AM
I vote for Forsee, Reflect and Ward. I detract from Slay and Life.

vampire2948
2011-08-07, 12:55 PM
I vote for Ward and Fortify, detract from Foresee.

Howler Dagger
2011-08-07, 12:59 PM
I vote for Delude, Animate Dead, Slay, and Transform
i vote against Forsee, Armor, and Conjure

137beth
2011-08-07, 01:48 PM
I vote for Delude, Animate Dead, Slay, and Transform
i vote against Forsee, Armor, Reflect, and Conjure

Your vote has NOT been counted because you voted for 4 seeds, you only get 3 detractor votes, and you used 4. Please change your vote (either add a positive vote, or remove a detractor vote).

ScIaDrd
2011-08-07, 02:54 PM
I vote for Fortify, Life, Reflect, and Ward and detract from Transport, Conjure and Delude

The Underlord
2011-08-07, 03:02 PM
I vote for slay, animate dead, conjure and fortify and detract from ward

Masaioh
2011-08-07, 04:27 PM
I vote for conjure and fortify and detract from ward

Kobold-Bard
2011-08-08, 09:52 AM
Vote: Animate, Slay, Transform.
De-vote: Conceal, Dispel.

Qwertystop
2011-08-08, 10:21 AM
Vote: Compel, Life, Transform (I want virally spreading Dominate Person, virally spreading sentient plants, or a spell that turns stuff into goo which turns other stuff into goo ad infinitum)
De-vote: Fortify, Reflect (the highest, other than Ward, which I wouldn't mind as it would mean an anti-halfling ray)

gkathellar
2011-08-08, 11:59 AM
Vote: Slay, Ward, Transform
Detract: Fortify

The_Watcher
2011-08-08, 02:30 PM
Vote: Animate Dead, Slay, Forsee, Dispell
Detract: Ward, Transform, Fortify

erictheredd
2011-08-08, 03:02 PM
Life, Fortify, Transform

Zeta Kai
2011-08-09, 05:42 AM
+: Summon & Transform

-: Animate Dead & Slay

137beth
2011-08-09, 10:10 AM
+: Summon & Transform

-: Animate Dead & Slay

Not counted, you gave too many de-votes.

Now, we are going to have a tie-breaking round. The top 5 (Fortify, Life, Slay, Transform, Ward), will face off.

The Tygre
2011-08-09, 10:34 AM
I vote for Slay in the lightning round.

thetobias
2011-08-09, 10:44 AM
I think I like ward best.

Kobold-Bard
2011-08-09, 10:51 AM
Tie break vote: Transform

Qwertystop
2011-08-09, 12:00 PM
I vote for Transform and Life. I still want either viral goo or viral sentence!

Howler Dagger
2011-08-09, 12:03 PM
I vote for Slay and Transform

UrsielHauke
2011-08-09, 01:16 PM
Transform and ward in the lightning round.

Zale
2011-08-09, 03:12 PM
Ward and Slay.

Domriso
2011-08-09, 03:48 PM
I vote for Ward and Fortify, in that order.

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-09, 04:31 PM
I vote for Life

Xzoltar
2011-08-09, 07:20 PM
I vote for Ward

Nopraptor
2011-08-10, 02:38 AM
I vote for Ward and fortify

137beth
2011-08-11, 08:54 AM
And this round is over! The winner is Ward!

EDIT: Wow, 3 responses and no votes.

Qwertystop
2011-08-11, 09:02 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Zale
2011-08-11, 04:29 PM
Yesssssss

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA- *cough cough*

What evil laugh? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Kobold-Bard
2011-08-11, 04:47 PM
And this round is over! The winner is Ward!

:smallfrown:

137beth
2011-08-11, 05:09 PM
Guys, remember a lot of epic spells use multiple seeds, and we will decide on those in the next phase, so if your favorite seed didn't make win, it might still be in the final spell.

Also, wow, 3 responses and no votes?

Zale
2011-08-11, 05:56 PM
Should we list them in the order we prefer them?

The whole use?

UrsielHauke
2011-08-11, 06:41 PM
I'm gonna go for:

1st: Resist particular damage type
2nd: Protect against magic
3rd: Ward certain type
4th: Ward against energy
5th: Ward certain subtype

137beth
2011-08-11, 07:03 PM
Should we list them in the order we prefer them?

Yes, I said that in the first post (as usual), but in case anyone missed it somehow, it is now in bold.

Zale
2011-08-11, 07:07 PM
Ward certain type
Ward certain subtype
Resist energy type (fire, cold, ect.)
Resist particular damage type (either bludgeoning, slashing, or piercing)
Protect against magic

Qwertystop
2011-08-11, 07:30 PM
1: Ward against Type
2: Ward against subtype
Don't care after that.

Xzoltar
2011-08-11, 09:25 PM
My Vote :
1. Ward certain type
2. Ward certain subtype

Howler Dagger
2011-08-11, 09:29 PM
1 Protection against Magic
2 Resist Energy
3 Resist Damage Type
4 Ward Type
5 ward subtype

Ophiel
2011-08-12, 06:22 AM
1 Protection against magic
2 Ward subtype
3 Ward type
4 Resist damage type
5 Resist energy

137beth
2011-08-14, 09:12 AM
And that's the end of the round! New phase it up, voting opens now.

Xzoltar
2011-08-14, 01:49 PM
I Vote for : Construct, Dragon, Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid, Outsider, Undead But I Detract : Animal, Giant, Magical Beast, Ooze, Plant, Vermin

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-14, 04:43 PM
I vote for undead, outsider, humanoid, and dragon and detract from monstrous humanoid, construct, vermin and plants.

Zale
2011-08-14, 08:16 PM
I vote for: Fey, Undead, Elemental, Dragon and Outsider.

I detract from: Humanoid, Ooze and Construct.

Zale
2011-08-14, 08:31 PM
Double Post.

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-14, 09:01 PM
I vote for: Fey, Outsider, Undead, Elemental, Dragon and Outsider.

I detract from: Humanoid, Ooze and Construct.

I am pretty sure you said outsider twice :smalltongue:. (Including the double post 4 times :smallbiggrin:)

UrsielHauke
2011-08-14, 09:22 PM
I vote for Undead and Outsider and detract from Fey.

Zale
2011-08-14, 10:10 PM
I am pretty sure you said outsider twice :smalltongue:. (Including the double post 4 times :smallbiggrin:)

I have no idea what you're talking about, These are not the outsiders you are looking for.

Ophiel
2011-08-15, 07:30 AM
I vote for: Humanoid, Monstrous humanoid and Aberration.
I detract from: Fey and Vermin.

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-15, 06:11 PM
If undead and outsider's tie could we make a epic spell that only wards against undead made from outsider's corpses :smallbiggrin:. It would be a very niche spell.

137beth
2011-08-15, 07:22 PM
If undead and outsider's tie could we make a epic spell that only wards against undead made from outsider's corpses :smallbiggrin:. It would be a very niche spell.

Outsiders don't have corpses :smallsmile:

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-15, 07:28 PM
Outsiders don't have corpses :smallsmile:

??? What? Yes they do? They just can't be raised. Outsiders don't just poof when they die.

137beth
2011-08-15, 08:27 PM
??? What? Yes they do? They just can't be raised. Outsiders don't just poof when they die.

I suppose...
To answer the question:

Remember that the top 8 progress to the next round, so even if they tie in this round, it won't matter. Anyways, if undead wins, when we are picking mitigating factors, the "only works on undead outsiders" is a valid factor that could be included:smallsmile:

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-15, 08:54 PM
I suppose...
To answer the question:

Remember that the top 8 progress to the next round, so even if they tie in this round, it won't matter. Anyways, if undead wins, when we are picking mitigating factors, the "only works on undead outsiders" is a valid factor that could be included:smallsmile:

Oh I actually missed the fact that the next 8 progress to the next round my bad :smallredface:.

137beth
2011-08-17, 07:27 AM
And that's the end of the round! New vote is up.

The Tygre
2011-08-17, 01:44 PM
{table=head]Type | Rank
Aberration | 3
Construct | 6
Dragon | 1
Elemental | 4
Humanoid | 8
Monstrous Humanoid |7
Outsider | 2
Undead | 5[/table]

My top vote goes to Dragon. Okay, we've got a ward spell, but it's an Epic ward spell. It needs to be Epically warding. Now how does it do that? I'll tell you how, by warding something Epic. And what defines Epic better than dragons? Now sure, you could make the case that it's there to keep out wyverns and drakes and wurms and dragonborn and what have you. But that's not what you're really thinking about when you hear the words 'Epic dragon warding spell', are you? Nah, you're thinking bigger. You're thinking of a flight of dragons, true dragons, spread wing-tip to wing-tip, blocking out the sun with their numbers. I'm talking a freaking armada of dragons swooping down in an unholy plague of pure METAL. To quote Unskippable, "And for the ninth plague, God got serious and sent a plague of dragons." -That- man, that's ****ing EPIC.

TravelLog
2011-08-17, 05:30 PM
Top to bottom:
Outsider
Elemental
Dragon
Aberration
Monstrous Humanoid
Construct
Undead
Humanoid

137beth
2011-08-19, 02:47 PM
And the winner is: Outsider!

Now, for the part where you actually have to think: coming up with additional effects.

TravelLog
2011-08-21, 02:08 AM
Some possibilities, in no particular order.

1) Reverse outsider's stats such that:
Strength<->Dex, Int<->Wis and Con<->Cha.

2) Absorb the essence of an outsider's alignment and grant fitting bonuses (like auto-Axiomatic Strike, stat boosts, etc.)

3) Force the outsider to make a will save or be considered bound to an item owned by the wielder.

4) Outsider's that come into contact with the ward must make a will save or turn against their allies. If no other allies are present, the outsider offers it's services to the party temporarily.

5) An outsider which comes into contact with the ward must make a Con save, followed by a will save. If the Con save fails, the outsider temporarily loses all benefits of being an outsider. If both saves fail, it is permanently considered humanoid and is bound to the material plane.

Might add more ideas later.

Eledragon
2011-08-21, 11:41 AM
make yourself undetectable by outsiders?
instantly plane shift outsiders to a plane opposite their alignment?
cause outsiders to be bound to your will, or trap them in a planelocked orb of force?

the possibilities go on!

Qwertystop
2011-08-21, 12:07 PM
Turn the outsider into the most similar creature that isn't an outsider?

Zale
2011-08-21, 02:19 PM
Temporarily invert the alignment of any outsider that attacks you?

The Underlord
2011-08-21, 02:47 PM
attempts to kill the outsider and if it succeeds it is brought back as some sort of undead.

Malimar
2011-08-21, 07:22 PM
Reduces the Outsider to Fine size.

Polymorphs the Outsider into a newt.

Pelts the Outsider with rocks.

Qwertystop
2011-08-22, 12:33 PM
Pelts the Outsider with rocks.

This. So very much this.

Cipher Stars
2011-08-22, 01:03 PM

I like this, a lot.

Qwertystop
2011-08-22, 03:36 PM
I like this, a lot.

That was actually a lot like mine, except I didn't specify saves and mine allowed for Outsiders which did not make sense as Humanoids.

erictheredd
2011-08-22, 05:02 PM
I like the whole "make the outsider no longer and outsider" idea. It is a ... suitably epic act.

You could also have a "reverse polarity" spell. outsiders with the good subtype have it changed to evil. the Water subtype turns to fire. This effect sweeps through the outsider and changes its outlook, as well as neccessary aspects of its physical form. I don't know if the elemental type is as easily changed as the alignment type though.

aha! on the elemental, there are interesting changes you can make: any burrow speed is turned into a fly speed at X4, and fly speeds become burrow speeds at X 1/4. The fire subtype changes to both water and cold, and damage simply becomes cold damage. As for water to fire... thats the hard change....

TravelLog
2011-08-25, 03:26 PM
When are we voting on this phase?

137beth
2011-08-25, 04:00 PM
Given that the ideas seem to have stopped coming in, we might as well go ahead now...
EDIT: new vote is up.

Rafinius
2011-08-25, 04:32 PM
I vote for 4, 7, 14 & 16. A total reversal of all they are both as race, ideals and personal traits :smallamused:.

TravelLog
2011-08-25, 04:54 PM
I don't know if it's tacky to vote for my own effects, so I split my votes.

Non-mine:
2, 3, 16

My favorites of my own:
6, 7, 8

137beth
2011-08-25, 05:40 PM
I don't know if it's tacky to vote for my own effects, so I split my votes.

Non-mine:
2, 3, 16

My favorites of my own:
6, 7, 8

No problem with voting for your own.

Xzoltar
2011-08-25, 06:56 PM
I vote for : 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 10, 14, 15, 16

Lot of them are similar and could use on the same spell without problem.

Malimar
2011-08-25, 07:22 PM
I vote 6, 8, 13, and 14.

And, uh, the three suggestions of mine which didn't make the list :smallfrown:.

137beth
2011-08-25, 07:38 PM
I vote 6, 8, 13, and 14.

And, uh, the three suggestions of mine which didn't make the list :smallfrown:.

Wow, how did I miss that?
I added your three to the list:smalleek:

Qwertystop
2011-08-28, 06:17 AM
6, 10, 13, 19

UrsielHauke
2011-08-28, 08:49 PM
5, 10, 17. That is all.

Rafinius
2011-08-30, 09:16 PM
The spell effect seems kinda diluted and counterproductive. I mean first we invert the traits and then we just take em away by making him humanoid? And then that thing where you actually hope that he doesn't get transported to that other plane (where he would feel a hundred percent at home by the way) so that he can assist us in battle. And then what happens to outsider beasts and abberations? Do they become humanoid too? I think that there should be a different order to the things and some should be mutually exclusive.

So what would be the best course of action in my eyes is that we all write up ways how this spell works following the rules that we do not add new things or take away things that are already decided upon. All we do is think of the way of how they are taking effect.
Then we make a simple voting phase that takes the one with the most votes.

I'll give an example write-up. If you take my advice you can immediatly take it to be voted upon:
This spell wards against bodily contact by outsiders. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature. The protection ends if the warded creature makes an attack against or intentionally moves within 5 feet of the blocked creature. Spell resistance can allow a creature to overcome this protection and touch the warded creature.
Any outsider that comes within 300 feet of the warded creature must make a Will save, or have its alignment inverted permanently. Any alignment-related subtypes are also reversed. Additionally, it must make a fortitude save or have its elemental traits reversed: A fly speed becomes a burrow speed, and 1/4 the original fly speed. A burrow speed becomes a fly speed (4*original burrow speed), a swim speed becomes lightning resistance (couldn't think of anything better), and lightning resistance becomes a swim speed. All SAs/Natural attacks that deal cold damage become fire, and vice versa. All immunities/vulnerabilities/resistances to fire become cold, and vice versa.
If the outsider passed the first will save, it must make a second Will save or lose all benefits (but not drawbacks) of being an outsider for 1 hour. If it fails this save, it must immediately make a Fortitude save or permanently be considered a humanoid (or a more apropriate non-magical type).
Regardless of the results of the previous saves, the outsider must then make a Will save or be transported to a plane which is opposite its alignment if the warded being or the caster of the ward (whatever is more apropriate) so chooses.
If, after all that, the (former) outsider is still alive and within 300 ft. of the warded creature, it must make a Will save or turn against their allies. If no other allies are present, the outsider offers it's services to the creature temporarily. (This is for effect 7 that you didn't implement at all)
If the (former) outsider passes the last will save it must make another Will save or be affected by a Soul Bind spell (except that the save DC is that of an epic spell, not a 9th level spell) if the warded being or the caster of the ward (whatever is more apropriate) so chooses.

137beth
2011-08-31, 08:51 AM
Wow, I completely forgot to include the very important last sentence of the spell description:smallredface:
Fixed.
Also, new vote is up.

TravelLog
2011-08-31, 12:50 PM
Part One:
Less than One Day, More than One Day, Permanent

Part Two:
More than One Day

erictheredd
2011-09-01, 10:02 AM
less than a day, more than a day, permanent

This spell can wreck some major havoc if used in the wrong place, no need to make it last a long time.

more than a day, I think it would be fun to see the outsider wandering around as a "mortal"

Rafinius
2011-09-01, 06:55 PM
less than a day, more than a day, permanet. I actually think rounding it to exactly a day is my favorite, if that is an option.

the other one should be more than a day, less than a day again favoring a one day time.

Also don't forget that effect 7, which you still haven't added, is specifically mentioned as temporary and thus must also be voted upon. I guess that will be either put in the next phase or into this one, which might have to be prolonged then.

Lastly, if you think that my suggestion of voting up details is a good one, I would implement it as the last phase, when everything else is clear.

137beth
2011-09-02, 12:50 PM
And that's the end of the round!

The main ward's duration is less than 1 day, and the temporary loss of outsider powers lasts more than 1 day.

I actually think rounding it to exactly a day is my favorite, if that is an option.
The options more than a day and less than a day, should actually be "1 day or more", and "1 day or less". Do not fear, 1-day duration is still on the table:smallbiggrin:

Also don't forget that effect 7, which you still haven't added, is specifically mentioned as temporary and thus must also be voted upon. I guess that will be either put in the next phase or into this one, which might have to be prolonged then.

We're gonna do that in the next phase, now. Good thing you reminded me soon, otherwise it might have been cut out:smallamused:

Lastly, if you think that my suggestion of voting up details is a good one, I would implement it as the last phase, when everything else is clear.
I disagree, I think it would have been easier to use at the beginning, rather than deciding the spell's specifics as we are doing now, THEN asking people to change said specifics. And frankly, I'm not sure why it's such a big deal. If you look at other people's "vote up a _" threads, most of them have a lot more arbitrary decisions by the OP than I am doing. I'm having y'all vote on as much as possible, but I have limited time to put voting systems together.

Rafinius
2011-09-02, 02:09 PM
less than a day, more than a day, permanent.
Also no hard feelings. I know that no ones time is unlimited. Its just how I'd have done it. But then again maybe thats just a sign that I should do something like this in the future :smallbiggrin:.

TravelLog
2011-09-02, 02:26 PM
Less than a day, more than a day, permanent

137beth
2011-09-02, 05:24 PM
less than a day, more than a day, permanent.
Also no hard feelings. I know that no ones time is unlimited. Its just how I'd have done it. But then again maybe thats just a sign that I should do something like this in the future :smallbiggrin:.

Yea, you seem to enjoy voting threads:smallsmile:

137beth
2013-05-16, 08:07 PM
Okay guys, since I now have some extra time, I'm bringing this back. Time to vote on the final duration phase. Yea, yea, we've been doing duration for awhile...

Frathe
2013-05-17, 04:02 PM
Well, I'm over here from.. another voting thread. How about 1 day, 24 hours, and 24 hours.

137beth
2013-05-18, 10:01 PM
Huh... no one else?
I guess epic-level content isn't very popular 'round here. I guess we could go to the next round if no one shows up, but only having one vote seems sorta silly...

Oh well, I guess that's the nature of epic spells--they are only used in games with epic level full casters. My planned-future voting threads primarily deal with low-mid level play, so I guess that works.

So yea, if no one else shows up in the next several days, I'll either move to the next round or discontinue the thread.........

Svata
2013-05-19, 02:12 AM
Duration 1: 40 days
Duration 2: 20 hours
Duration 3: 12 hours

gurgleflep
2013-05-19, 11:09 PM
20 Days.
10 hours.
15 hours.

I like multiples of five :smalltongue:

137beth
2013-05-24, 11:31 PM
Okay, the next round is up. Come'on and vote people!

Svata
2013-05-25, 03:44 AM
Multi-target
Area Effect
Single-target
Personal

gurgleflep
2013-05-25, 12:38 PM
Personal
Multiple
Single
Area

Frathe
2013-05-25, 05:22 PM
singe target
multi-target
area effect
personal

Personal means the spell affects only you.

Personal
The spell affects only you.

I know I don't want that.

137beth
2013-05-30, 04:03 PM
Okay, sorry this is a bit late, but I have the next round up.

Frathe
2013-05-30, 04:07 PM
three
yes
no

Svata
2013-05-31, 05:08 AM
Five
yes
yes

gurgleflep
2013-05-31, 12:23 PM
I'm duplicating Svata's votes. Five, yes, and another yes.

ISitOnGnomes
2013-06-01, 09:03 AM
Yes
No