PDA

View Full Version : Mouthpicks

Tvtyrant
2011-08-06, 05:49 PM
In the Lords of Madness splatbook, an item was introduced known as a Mouthpick. It allows you to wield a weapon using your mouth, and gain iterative attacks with it. So, without further ado, my questions:

1. Does using a mouthpick qualify you for multiweapon fighting?

2. What penalties do you take for using it in conjunction with one or more extra weapons?

3. What is the cheapest way to get a bite attack?

Coidzor
2011-08-06, 05:54 PM
1. Multiweapon Fighting - Good question. As far as I can tell, Multiweapon fighting depends upon having multiple limbs, which are either defined as arm-like appendages or prehensile tails that can wield weapons. So the most you could do without houseruling would be two-weapon fighting with a greatsword in two hands and a mouthpick greatsword in your mouth & getting the benefits of 1.5x strength with each of them.

Or TWFing valorous lances in two hands while mounted for multiple multipliers.

2. penalties from using the mouthpick weapon with other weapons: Other than possibly occupying any kind of gore/horn attack from the head that the bite attack is associated with (I'm still not sure if you can both gore/horn & bite if they're from the same head...), the only restrictions are on the number of weapons you can wield, which defaults to TWF or MWF rules unless the other attacks are just natural attacks, in which case they're all secondary due to wielding a weapon with iteratives.

3. Bite Attack: Be a kobold & use the web enhancement. be a warforged & take jaws of death feat.

Be a totemist & shape one of the appropriate soulmelds, I believe there's 2-3 of them.

Be a druid & turn into a fleshraker so you can use all your poison while also wielding a greatsword.

MeeposFire
2011-08-06, 05:59 PM
Multiweapon fighting is a no go as that requires three or more hands and this does not help that.

Does the description say that in all ways it is considered a manufactured weapon because if it does then you would probably treat like you would any other manufactured weapon using the two weapon fighting rules (notice that no matter how many manufactured weapons you wield you always use the two weapon fighting rules unless you have three or more hands all of this assuming you are trying to get extra attacks otherwise it is just the siongle weapon rules).

Tvtyrant
2011-08-06, 06:07 PM
Honestly the rules don't seem to cover mouthpicks at all; -10 to all attacks made by offhands, reduced if you have three or more hands. If I had a weapon in each hand and one in the mouth the rules just shrug at me.

Zoro, I will find a way :smallamused:

Coidzor
2011-08-06, 06:15 PM
Honestly the rules don't seem to cover mouthpicks at all; -10 to all attacks made by offhands, reduced if you have three or more hands. If I had a weapon in each hand and one in the mouth the rules just shrug at me.

Zoro, I will find a way :smallamused:

Give him a prehensile tail & then just use it to impress ladies while triple-wielding using the front half.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-06, 06:46 PM
Give him a prehensile tail & then just use it to impress ladies while triple-wielding using the front half.

This is good advice; how does one gain a prehensile tail? Does the Kobold tail adding feat work?

Coidzor
2011-08-06, 06:54 PM
This is good advice; how does one gain a prehensile tail? Does the Kobold tail adding feat work?

As the basis for getting a prehensile tail, but for a kobold's tail to be prehensile they'd have to take the prehensile tail feat.

For a Kobold it'd be TWF+Dragon Tail > Prehensile Tail, and then getting Multiweapon Fighting & trading TWF out.

Or with slightly more sanity, TWF+Dragon Tail > Prehensile Tail & then TWF becomes MWF with the addition of Prehensile Tail.

I'm not sure if there's any reasonably playable creatures that already have prehensile tails either... :/

Prime32
2011-08-06, 06:56 PM
This is good advice; how does one gain a prehensile tail? Does the Kobold tail adding feat work?The Prehensile Tail feat in Savage Species lets you use a tail slap to hold/wield items. The Draconic Tail feat will get you one that works to meet the prereqs, yes.

Revenance
2011-08-07, 12:13 AM
3. What is the cheapest way to get a bite attack?

I'm not sure if it still matters, but I think the Hunger Domain(SpC) gives you a bite attack as its Domain power. Idk if it's a cheap way to do it however...

Tvtyrant
2011-08-07, 12:18 AM
I'm not sure if it still matters, but I think the Hunger Domain(SpC) gives you a bite attack as its Domain power. Idk if it's a cheap way to do it however...

That is actually a very good piece of information! Thank you! Cleric would actually work to make this concept go, since you can make up for its inherent weaknesses with spells.