PDA

View Full Version : Casting divine power on another...

Morph Bark
2011-08-06, 06:17 PM
Currently building a buffing sorcerer and I was wondering how I could get divine power on his list of spells known and how I could turn a personal spell into a non-personal spell.

Zaq
2011-08-06, 06:27 PM
I know that it's possible, but I know that it requires shenanigans.

I forget the specifics, but I think that there's some weird FR material involved. Spellguard of Silverymoon perhaps?

iDesu
2011-08-06, 06:28 PM
I know that it's possible, but I know that it requires shenanigans.

I forget the specifics, but I think that there's some weird FR material involved. Spellguard of Silverymoon perhaps?

Yes, Spellguard of Silvery Moon will work because Righteous Might improves your AC, qualifying for the Spellguard ability. The hard part would be getting Righteous Might on your class list.

Morph Bark
2011-08-06, 06:41 PM
Wait, I just realized I got the wrong spell in my head. I want divine power, I always get that mixed up with righteous might...

I've also just realized that since it is on the War domain list, I could get it through the Arcane Disciple feat, but that still means I need a way to cast it on others. I don't suppose it is possible to do that through Spellguard too?

iDesu
2011-08-06, 07:14 PM
Actually yes, it is, since divine power grants temporary hit points it's a valid target for spellguard.

sreservoir
2011-08-06, 07:49 PM
you can do it with extra spell, too, and then you aren't limited to 1/day and don't need wis. because war domain doesn't really get you all that much, does it?

Circle of Life
2011-08-06, 07:52 PM
Before this devolves into an "Extra Spell can't do that/Yes it can/No it can't/Yes it can" thread, I'd advise you check out the wording of the feat yourself, then bring it up with your DM and see what he thinks. I'm in favor of it working, but some people don't like the increase in power that provides, so... YMMV.

JaronK
2011-08-06, 07:54 PM
Arcane Disciple (War) + Runesmith ought to do it.

JaronK

Darrin
2011-08-08, 10:10 AM
Heart of the Beast (2000 GP, Magic of Faerun p. 160). Eat a snack, gain Divine Powah! for 10 rounds.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-08, 10:12 AM
Spellguard + warweaver. Now everyone is full BaB!

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-08-08, 10:13 AM
Divine Power also works with Spellguard simply because it provides the character with HP, albeit temp HP.

Keld Denar
2011-08-08, 10:15 AM
If you are going the Arcane Disciple route, do Competition instead of War. Competition gets both Divine Powah and Righteous Might.

Also, War Weaver > Spellguard would allow you to turn your whole party into badass giant supersoldiers. Red white and blue tights optional.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-08, 10:21 AM
Or get the feat twice if you can find a god with both. Now you have two castings per day.

Cieyrin
2011-08-08, 12:03 PM
Before this devolves into an "Extra Spell can't do that/Yes it can/No it can't/Yes it can" thread, I'd advise you check out the wording of the feat yourself, then bring it up with your DM and see what he thinks. I'm in favor of it working, but some people don't like the increase in power that provides, so... YMMV.

It's mostly a difference between what the RAW says (Pick a spell one less than your max level, any spell) and what the FAQ says (Pick a spell one less than your max level off your list). Personally, I don't think spending one feat to get one spell known is worth getting your panties in a bunch, especially since that's how the psionic equivalent works.

Alternatively, just do some spell research to make Arcane Powah. The rules are there, talk to your DM about it and hopefully manage to spend your gold and time on it and save your feat slots on something more relevant to what you can stick in your spell book.

gkathellar
2011-08-08, 12:06 PM
Not sure how you can cast it on somebody else, but since nobody else has mentioned it: Rainbow Servant could get you the spell.

JaronK
2011-08-08, 12:55 PM
Also, War Weaver > Spellguard would allow you to turn your whole party into badass giant supersoldiers. Red white and blue tights optional.

This is false. The tights are mandatory.

JaronK

dextercorvia
2011-08-08, 01:08 PM
Or get the feat twice if you can find a god with both. Now you have two castings per day.

If you can get the domain legitmately (like from a Contemplative dip) then you can cast it as many times per day as normal.

Morph Bark
2011-08-08, 02:36 PM
Spellguard + warweaver. Now everyone is full BaB!

That's why I asked. :smallamused:

Due to the specification regarding the wizard in the feat, I figure it is meant to be that you just get an extra spell known from your available list (making it useless for warmage/beguiler/dread necromancer, unless you have it work with their advanced learning, which I would).

At current I am the DM, as I am most of the time, but this is for a time when I won't be the DM. I had been planning on going Sorcerer/Binder/Anima Mage/Warweaver (just one level of Warweaver and taking Precocious Apprentice at level 1), so I can Persist for free through the Anima Mage's abilities.

I'll take a look at the Spellguard and see how many levels of it I can squeeze into the build.

ArcanistSupreme
2011-08-08, 05:06 PM
Along these lines, what are some other good Range: Personal spells that go well with this combo?

From the SRD I'm seeing arcane sight, augury, comprehend languages, darkvision, divination, divine favor, entopic shield, expeditious retreat, false life, find traps, glibness, know direction, meld into stone, mirror image, mnemonic enhancer, overland flight, pass without trace, read magic, see invisibility, shield, transformation, true strike, and zone of silence.

Not all of these are super optimal, but they're mostly pretty fun. Some will require some shenaniganry to apply, but the Insightful Divination feat in CM lets you use spellguard for divination spells. Are there any metamagic feats that add a saving throw or AC bonus to other spells?

iDesu
2011-08-08, 06:03 PM
Using Magic of the Land from races of the wild lets the spell heal 2 points of damage per spell level alongside the normal effects of the spell. This should let any targeted spell qualify for spellguard.

Zaq
2011-08-08, 07:20 PM
Using Magic of the Land from races of the wild lets the spell heal 2 points of damage per spell level alongside the normal effects of the spell. This should let any targeted spell qualify for spellguard.

This is true, but for maximum effectiveness (and, from a certain angle, cheese, though I don't like that term) you have to toss in a quick Acorn of Far Travel.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-08-08, 10:01 PM
If you are going the Arcane Disciple route, do Competition instead of War. Competition gets both Divine Powah and Righteous Might.

Wrong, good sir. You need Spellguard to alter Divine Power into a weave-acceptable spell, anyhow.:smalltongue:

dextercorvia
2011-08-08, 10:19 PM
Wrong, good sir. You need Spellguard to alter Divine Power into a weave-acceptable spell, anyhow.:smalltongue:

What are you disagreeing with? He said that Warweaver into Spellguard would do it.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-08-08, 11:27 PM
What are you disagreeing with? He said that Warweaver into Spellguard would do it.

Oh, well, I derp'd. I saw that post and thought he was just stating that, for the relation of getting Divine Power onto other people, War Weaver>Spellguard.:smallredface:

ArcanistSupreme
2011-08-08, 11:35 PM

This is true, but for maximum effectiveness (and, from a certain angle, cheese, though I don't like that term) you have to toss in a quick Acorn of Far Travel.

I like it. Any more cool/obscure spells that you'd never think to use otherwise? Heck, even transformation is useful if cast on the BSF.

BobVosh
2011-08-08, 11:45 PM
This is false. The tights are mandatory.

JaronK

I think this is going in the wrong way. Think Doombots.
All warforged, all buffed. DEATH WALKS THIS WAY.

Morph Bark
2011-08-09, 05:24 AM
I think this is going in the wrong way. Think Doombots.
All warforged, all buffed. DEATH WALKS THIS WAY.

Such a buffer with Leadership for an army of Warforged? :smalltongue:

Alternatively/additionally, Dread Necromancer cohort for army of undead. Make some of those Warforged/undead into bards for perfection. Now you have your super sentai team with epic background music!

By the way, what ways exist to make metamagic free? I know of Anima Mage, Divine Metamagic (not applicable) and something similar for a Bard (not applicable either) and Incantatrix (too cheesy). Oh, and some magic tactical feat I forgot the name of, but that one only allows you to apply the metamagic to the same spell. :smallfrown:

Greenish
2011-08-09, 05:27 AM
By the way, what ways exist to make metamagic free? I know of Anima Mage, Divine Metamagic (not applicable) and something similar for a Bard (not applicable either) and Incantatrix (too cheesy).Anything that allows metamagic for free is by default cheesy. :smallamused:

Well, except the Sudden [Metamagic] feats, but those are 1/day.

Morph Bark
2011-08-09, 12:15 PM
Anything that allows metamagic for free is by default cheesy. :smallamused:

Well, except the Sudden [Metamagic] feats, but those are 1/day.

Of course, but there is a difference between cheesy and too cheesy, like the difference between mozzarella and gorgonzola. :smallamused:

Sudden Metamagic is 1/day? I thought they all were 3/day...

Cieyrin
2011-08-09, 01:33 PM
Alternatively/additionally, Dread Necromancer cohort for army of undead. Make some of those Warforged/undead into bards for perfection. Now you have your super sentai team with epic background music!

You're just asking for Thriller to be their background music, you know that, right? :smalltongue:

Sudden Metamagic is 1/day? I thought they all were 3/day...

Nope, Sudden is kinda just bad like that. Especially Sudden Quicken. Ye gods, the prereqs! They're over 9000! :smalleek:

Morph Bark
2011-08-09, 04:37 PM
You're just asking for Thriller to be their background music, you know that, right? :smalltongue:

Well duh. :smallamused:

dextercorvia
2011-08-09, 09:19 PM
Such a buffer with Leadership for an army of Warforged? :smalltongue:

By the way, what ways exist to make metamagic free? I know of Anima Mage, Divine Metamagic (not applicable) and something similar for a Bard (not applicable either) and Incantatrix (too cheesy). Oh, and some magic tactical feat I forgot the name of, but that one only allows you to apply the metamagic to the same spell. :smallfrown:

Residual Magic

There is also the Spelldancer class from some Faerun book. You use dancing to pay for metamagic, or something. I don't remember the specifics but Doc uses it a lot.

sreservoir
2011-08-09, 10:15 PM
Residual Magic

There is also the Spelldancer class from some Faerun book. You use dancing to pay for metamagic, or something. I don't remember the specifics by Doc uses it a lot.

it's magic of.

Coidzor
2011-08-10, 12:36 AM

Maybe a bit of Remains of the Day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1qgmdVgN70).

Just avoid Zombie Prostitute though, and you'll be fine.

Now, the Sexy Data Tango on the other hand... :smallamused: Only really works with Warforged though.

Re: Your Brains (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjMiDZIY1bM)might be nice too, though.

Oh, and on the note of Dread Necromancers and Bards, if one can swing the special requirement and eat the feats necessary, since Dread Necromancers want out after level 8 anyway, they can then go into Heartfire Fanner 5 & start inspiring their posse to greater and greater acts of brain-nomming.

And lets you give undead the use of feats they couldn't otherwise get due to being mindless, if I'm reading Inspired Fight correctly.

Also, War Weaver > Spellguard would allow you to turn your whole party into badass giant supersoldiers. Red white and blue tights optional.This is false. The tights are mandatory.

JaronK

Have I mentioned how much I love you guys today? :smallbiggrin:

Yes, Spellguard of Silvery Moon will work because Righteous Might improves your AC, qualifying for the Spellguard ability. The hard part would be getting Righteous Might on your class list.

Do Paladins get it? If so, Silver Flame Pyromancer dip gets paladin spells added to the list sorcerers can learn, I believe.

Possibly Exalted Arcanist too. <_< >_>

Morph Bark
2011-08-10, 05:00 AM
Residual Magic

There is also the Spelldancer class from some Faerun book. You use dancing to pay for metamagic, or something. I don't remember the specifics but Doc uses it a lot.

Sadly Residual Magic only goes for the same spell. I want to find a way to cast Persisted Divine Power and then Persisted Righteous Might with as little spell-level-heightening as possible, so the Lingering Metamagic doesn't work.

Maybe a bit of Remains of the Day (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1qgmdVgN70).

Just avoid Zombie Prostitute though, and you'll be fine.

Now, the Sexy Data Tango on the other hand... :smallamused: Only really works with Warforged though.

Re: Your Brains (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjMiDZIY1bM)might be nice too, though.

Oh, and on the note of Dread Necromancers and Bards, if one can swing the special requirement and eat the feats necessary, since Dread Necromancers want out after level 8 anyway, they can then go into Heartfire Fanner 5 & start inspiring their posse to greater and greater acts of brain-nomming.

And lets you give undead the use of feats they couldn't otherwise get due to being mindless, if I'm reading Inspired Fight correctly.

Do Paladins get it? If so, Silver Flame Pyromancer dip gets paladin spells added to the list sorcerers can learn, I believe.

Possibly Exalted Arcanist too. <_< >_>

Heh, nice songs. :smallamused:

What book is Heartfire Fanner in?

Paladins don't get righteous might, nor divine power. Perhaps Exalted Arcanist still works? Would have to check.

Coidzor
2011-08-10, 09:47 AM
What book is Heartfire Fanner in?

Dragon Magazine 314, actually, sorry forgot to mention that earlier.

Paladins don't get righteous might, nor divine power. Perhaps Exalted Arcanist still works? Would have to check.

Seems a bit of a slim chance, but there's enough going on there that it seemed worth checking, and I'm still AFB, sorry.

On another note, Memory Smith from Dragon 311, allows a dwarven bard to get the spell Divine Power as an arcane spell, if there's anything you can do with that.