PDA

View Full Version : Construct-based class?

Drachasor
2011-08-07, 12:39 PM
Given that making undead minions is Core, and they even made the Dread Necromancer class, I was always perplexed why there was never a construct-based class using similar mechanics.

Anyone know of any attempt to make one? I am correct in that there was never an official one created, yes?

wuwuwu
2011-08-07, 12:41 PM
Effigy Master from... Complete Arcane? Maybe Adventurer. Possibly Scoundrel. And one of those 3 books also has a class for gnomes, forget the name.

Sorry I'm only of minimal help.

Greenish
2011-08-07, 12:41 PM
Artificer. For PrC, Effigy Master.

[Edit]: Faiths and Pantheons has the Techsmith.

Drachasor
2011-08-07, 12:46 PM
Even with those, IIRC for the Effigy Master, the constructs still require experience to create.

Seems odd with how controlling undead work that nothing using a similar scheme for constructs was ever made. I mean, undead and constructs are pretty similar in a lot of ways. That's what I meant.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-08-07, 12:54 PM
Effigy Master, Complete Arcane. Copy a Half-Dragon x42 version of whatever you're making at no additional cost, and throw Paragon on there for good measure. Yes, put Half-Dragon on it 42 times, that's how many different varieties there are and it's totally legit to be a Half-Black Half-Red Half-Green etc. As per Savage Species you can have multiple half-creature templates, you get the full benefits of the templates but call yourself a quarter-this or an eighth-that or a sixteenth-whatever.

Greenish
2011-08-07, 12:54 PM
Warforged domain allows you to rebuke constructs, so take that and go shopping.

[Edit]: I'm no longer firbolg. :smallfrown:

FMArthur
2011-08-07, 12:58 PM
Shaper Psions are simple and efficient construct-makers using the Astral Construct power and augmenting it to the appropriate level. Using the Shaper ACF from the online Mind's Eye articles makes Psions very good at using the power, but Ardents with the Dominant Ideal ACF applied to their Creation Mantle might work out to be better. The Astral Construct is customized when you manifest it; it's not really as good as a normal melee character of your level (which is itself not amazing), but it's expendable, duplicable and strong, and has a Psion with it.

I've never played one, though. I also hear that Complete Psionic nerfed them in some way, but I don't know the particulars. There's an online prestige class that is supposedly amazing and makes up for the losses, but I can't recall the name.

edit: The Constructor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20020727a) sounds familiar, but it's obviously 3.0 and genuinely impossible to qualify for in 3.5... There must've been another. :smallconfused: I'm so confused.

Jack_Simth
2011-08-07, 01:13 PM
I also hear that Complete Psionic nerfed them in some way, but I don't know the particulars."You can only have one astral construct shaped at any one time"

Volthawk
2011-08-07, 01:34 PM
edit: The Constructor (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20020727a) sounds familiar, but it's obviously 3.0 and genuinely impossible to qualify for in 3.5... There must've been another. :smallconfused: I'm so confused.

Indeed there is. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625b)

Tvtyrant
2011-08-07, 01:50 PM
A caster/incarnum build can get you Incarnum Constructs, which are pretty good but are later game abilities. Astral Constructs are better and come online earlier, and the PF Summoner's Eidolon can be refluffed as a mechanic whose robot breaks all the time.