PDA

View Full Version : Like a Ninja, only quieter [PrC, ToB]

TheGeckoKing
2011-08-07, 01:11 PM
Gloom Knife

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu89/Gecko-King/Assassin_by_Skyrion-1.jpg

"....................."

When one wants a person dead, they hire an assassin. When they want them to stay dead, they hire one with a Thinaun blade. When they want someone dead without any fuss, and any noise, they hire a Gloom Knife. This sect of assassins gain their powers from careful study of the Glooms (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/gloom.htm) themselves, and have expanded on this by blending it with the Sublime Way, to great effect.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Skills: Hide 13 ranks, Move Silently 13 ranks
Feats: Evasive Reflexes, Gloom Razor
Maneuvers: Must know one Maneuver of 5th level from the Shadow Hand discipline, as well as one Shadow Hand stance.
Special: Must have learnt at least the basics of their skills from a Gloom Knife over one week.

Class Skills
The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Martial Lore (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex) and Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d6

{table=head]Level|BaB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|
Subtle Quiescence Stance

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|
Death Attack

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|
---

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|
Anxiety Amplification Strike

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|
Hide in Plain Sight

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|
---

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|
Forgotten by the World

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+6|
Walk the Black Path

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+6|
---

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+7|
Forgotten by All[/table]

{table="head"]Level|Man. Known|Man. Readied|Stances Known
1st|1|0|0
2nd|1|0|0
3rd|0|1|1
4th|0|0|0
5th|1|0|0
6th|1|1|0
7th|0|0|0
8th|0|0|1
9th|1|1|0
10th|1|0|0
[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A Gloom Knife gains no new proficiencies.

Maneuvers: At every level except 3rd, 4th, 7th and 8th, a Gloom Knife gains new maneuvers known from the Diamond Mind, Shadow Hand, Steel Serpent (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161258), or Oncoming Storm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54816) disciplines. A Gloom Knife must meet a maneuver's prerequisite to learn it. A Gloom Knife adds their full Gloom Knife levels to their initiator level to determine their total initiator level and their highest-level maneuvers known.
At 3rd, 6th and 9th levels, a Gloom Knife gains additional maneuvers readied per day.

Stances Known: At 3rd and 8th level, a Gloom Knife learns a new stance from the Diamond Mind, Shadow Hand, Steel Serpent (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161258), or Oncoming Storm (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54816) disciplines. A Gloom Knife must meet the stances prerequisites to learn it.

Subtle Quiescence Stance: At 1st level a Gloom Knife learns the most vital ability to his trade - utter silence. A Gloom Knife may lose the benefits of any stance they are currently in to gain the benefits of this one. While in this stance, the Gloom Knife is utterly silent, as per the Silence spell, although the area does not extend beyond the creature itself. This quality gives it a +20 racial bonus on Move Silently checks (it is still possible for a Gloom Knife to create noise, such as by bumping into something that scrapes on the floor or by sounding a chime).
This stance is a supernatural effect.

Death Attack: At 2nd level, the Gloom Knife learns how to dispatch foes but with a single blow. This ability fuctions as the Assassin (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/assassin.htm#deathAttack) ability of the same name, only the Save DC for the Gloom Knife's Death Attack is 10 + 1/2 IL + Wis Mod.

Anxiety Amplification Strike: At 4th level, you manage to learn a maeuver that has the same effect as the Gloom's Fear Gaze, even if the execution if slightly different. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is a 6th level strike, and does not belong to any discipline. The Gloom Knife makes a normal melee attack when they use this strike, and if it hits then the victim must make a Will Save with a DC of 10 + 1/2 IL + Wis Modifier or start Cowering for two rounds. If they succeed on the Will Save, they are simply Shaken for one round instead.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): At 5th level, if the Gloom Knife wants to be unseen, it is very hard for their enemies to oppose this. A Gloom Knife of 5th level and higher can attempt to use the Hide skill even if they normally couldn't.

Forgotten by the World (Su): At 7th level, the Gloom Knife walks without mark, without scent, and without obstruction. A Gloom Knife of 7th level and higher cannot be tracked, and does not leave a trail unless it wishes to. Additionally, the Gloom Knife's movement takes no penalty from difficult terrain, although a Gloom Knife is still otherwise affected by any other negative effects of the terrain.

Walk the Black Path (Su): At 9th level, the Gloom Knife can slip in one shadow, and crawl out another, watching, waiting. The Gloom Knife gains Shadow Walk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shadowWalk.htm) as an at-will SLA, with a Caster level equal to their IL, and a Save DC equal to 10 + 1/2 Character level + Wis Modifier.

Forgotten by All (Su): At 10th level, the Gloom Knife becomes so silent, so forgettable, that the minds of its witnesses simply forget it ever saw the Gloom Knife. If a creature would see, meet or even battle with the Gloom Knife, and then become unable to see it (for example, if the Gloom Knife successfully makes a Hide check or just escapes out of sight), then the victim must make a Will Save with a DC of 10 + 1/2 IL + Wis Modifier or they forget ever seeing the Gloom Knife, as per the Modify Memory (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/modifyMemory.htm) spell, only the memory loss is instantaneous, and the victim simply forgets who the Gloom Knife is and any defining features they may of seen (namely the Gloom Knife's face, a unique weapon, etc), as all they remember seeing is a "blur of shadows". This memory loss only extends back to one hour. Any further past that, and the victim still remembers meeting the Gloom Knife up to that point. Also, if the Gloom Knife leaves their victim any incriminating evidence then this ability, as one can guess, drops sharply in effectiveness.
This ability may be dismissed/reactivated as a swift action.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Soundkiller
The sword in your hand seems lighter than it should, and it makes no sound as you swing it though the air.
A weapon with the Soundkiller enhancement is adept at silencing the throats of its targets with a single, precise strike. If the weapon is used to successfully make a precision damage attack like Death Attack, Sneak Attack, Sudden Stike and so on, then the victim loses all ability to make noise, as per the Silence spell, centred on the victim (No Save). This lasts for 3 rounds, before fading away. This effect cannot be applied to a creature if it is already under a Silence spell from this effect. Lastly, a weapon with this enhancement becomes immune to all Sonic damage (this benefit is not conferred to the wielder, however).
Moderate Illusion; CL 10; Craft Magic Arms and Armor and Silence; Price +3

eftexar
2011-08-07, 01:27 PM
I like it and I think the balance on it is perfect. Although I might split forgotten by the world into two abilities simply so that you can fill a space where an ability isn't granted (not that it's actually needed).

Circle of Life
2011-08-07, 01:33 PM
I think you meant the save for the death attack to be 10 +1/2 IL + Wis? Otherwise, that's going to be a very, very successful death attack.

TheGeckoKing
2011-08-07, 01:36 PM
I like it and I think the balance on it is perfect. Although I might split forgotten by the world into two abilities simply so that you can fill a space where an ability isn't granted (not that it's actually needed).
I guess I could, but if it's not needed i'll just leave it.
Thanks. :smallsmile:

I think you meant the save for the death attack to be 10 +1/2 IL + Wis? Otherwise, that's going to be a very, very successful death attack.

I did mean 1/2 IL, yes. Good catch.

Edge
2011-08-07, 01:41 PM
Looks fairly solid. You might want to throw a link in for the Steel Serpent discipline like you did with Oncoming Storm, what with it being a homebrew discipline and all.

TheGeckoKing
2011-08-07, 01:44 PM
Looks fairly solid. You might want to throw a link in for the Steel Serpent discipline like you did with Oncoming Storm, what with it being a homebrew discipline and all.

Gotcha. Also thought of a cool weapon enhancement idea, but i'm not sure about the enhancement bonus.
Put up the Soundkiller enhancement. No idea about the price, however.