PDA

View Full Version : Omnicaster PrC (PEACH)

ericgrau
2011-08-07, 01:48 PM
Omnicaster
Omnicasters are true students of magic, seeking to learn all types - divine or arcane of every variety - from any place they can find it. Many start off as wizards or bards who simply cannot focus on a single style of magic. Others are divine seekers of truth or of ultimate balance. Whatever the case may be, omnicasters are eager to learn any kind of magic they can get their hands on.

Personal Comments: I went with a 4 way theurge but with rapid entry and, to make up for it, a dead casting level. All to avoid typical low level pre-prc theurge issues. At the same time I gave him the Magical Savant ability to say once per day "I'm not as weak as a theurge", so adventurers on the 15 minute work day won't feel the burn of diversifying, while those on longer adventuring days still have a gajillion spells to fall back on.

Table: The Omnicaster
{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spells per Day
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Magical Savant, Bonus Metamagic Feat, Varied Training|-
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Magical Aptitude|+1 level in each of four existing classes
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Detect Magic|+1 level in each of four existing classes
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4||+1 level in each of four existing classes
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Bonus Metamagic Feat|+1 level in each of four existing classes
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Arcane Sight|+1 level in each of four existing classes
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5||+1 level in each of four existing classes
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6||+1 level in each of four existing classes
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Greater Arcane Sight|+1 level in each of four existing classes
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Magical Savant, Bonus Metamagic Feat|+1 level in each of four existing classes
[/table]

Hit Die: d4

Requirements
Skills: Knowledge(arcana) 7 ranks, Knowledge (nature) 7 ranks, Knowledge(religion) 7 ranks, Spellcraft 7 ranks
Spells: Belong to four different spellcasting classes with individual unconnected spell progression.

Skills
Class Skills: The Omnicaster's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Survival (Wis) and Use Magic Device (Cha)
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier

Class Features
Magical Savant
At 1st level the Omnicaster uses his wide knowledge of magic to cast more powerful spells, though less often than a true focused caster. He may cast 1 spell per day that is 2 spell levels higher than the highest level he could ordinarily cast, and 1 spell per day that is 1 spell level higher, each up to a maximum of 9th level. Additionally he may pre-select a single spell known for each of these spell levels for each of his spontaneous casting classes, if any. He may prepare a spell from any of his prepared casting classes to fill these spells per day. He may spontaneously convert any spell thus prepared into a spell known by any of his spontaneous casting classes. He may also gain bonus spells from a high ability score for these spell levels, but these bonus spells may only be filled with spells from casting classes that use that particular ability score. Bonus spells from 2 different ability scores do not stack, they overlap, allowing spells from more different classes to fill those spell slots. He does not, however, gain bonus spells from other sources such as school specialization nor a cleric domain for these spell levels.

Thus upon gaining the first level of omnicaster a character will typically gain one 3rd level spell per day plus one 2nd level spell per day, plus any bonus spells. These spells may be from any of his four spell lists.

At 10th level, once per week, the Omnicaster may cast an additional spell that is 3 levels higher than the highest level spell he could ordinarily cast without Magical Savant, up to a maximum of 9th level. He may likewise pre-select a known spell of this level for each of his spontaneous casting classes, and likewise sacrifice a prepared spell to spontaneous cast a spell known by a spontaneous class. He also gains an additional spell per day of the highest spell level he could ordinarily cast without Magical Savant.

Varied Training
An omnicaster with bard levels also improves his bardic music ability whenever the omnicaster class improves his bard spells per day, just as if he had gained a bard level. Other classes that never gain 9th level spells may receive a similar benefit, at the DM's discretion.

Magical Aptitude
At 2nd level the omnicaster gains magical aptitude as a bonus feat, giving him a +2 on all spellcraft and use magic device checks.

Detect Magic (SLA)
At 3rd level the Omnicaster gets detect magic as a spell like ability, usable at will. His caster level for this ability is equal to his hit dice.

Arcane Sight (SLA)
At 6th level the Omnicaster gets arcane sight as a spell like ability usable 3 times per day. His caster level for this ability is equal to his hit dice.

Greater Arcane Sight (SLA)
At 9th level the Omnicaster gains greater arcane sight as a spell like ability usable once per day. His caster level for this ability is equal to his hit dice.

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-07, 04:05 PM
Um, wow. Thats an interesting class. One thing to note is that at low levels this class is HORRIBLY weak. Assuming Standard, Wizard,Sorc,Cleric,Druid, it has 0 BAB (Huge Will Save of 8) 0 Reflex save and a decent fort save when it takes it's first level. I would suggest a clause that its bab is equal to 1/2 his character level just so it can hit with touch attacks.

Mulletmanalive
2011-08-07, 06:06 PM
a more elegant solution would probably be to move Magical Savant, grant full casting on the first level, advances to two classes on the second and advances to the other two on the third.

Or you could leave Magical Savant where it is and implement the same change

Psilulz
2011-08-07, 07:08 PM
Um, wow. Thats an interesting class. One thing to note is that at low levels this class is HORRIBLY weak. Assuming Standard, Wizard,Sorc,Cleric,Druid, it has 0 BAB (Huge Will Save of 8) 0 Reflex save and a decent fort save when it takes it's first level. I would suggest a clause that its bab is equal to 1/2 his character level just so it can hit with touch attacks.

This is why I play with fractional scores.

Anywho...
The wording on your "spells" requirement should change. As it is written, I would be able to enter this class as nothing but a wizard as they have access to spells on four different spell lists (wizard, warmage, spelltheif, duskblade, beguiler, just to name a few...). A better wording might be, "Have access to four different spell lists" or "Belong to four different spellcasting classes." This cuts out the ambiguity, and ease of abuse.

Magical savant is a bit strong. I know you're trying to make up for the weakness of being behind as numerous (probably) full spellcasters, but there are certainly other ways to do this. Perhaps make it so that instead, it acts like a scaling Practiced Spellcaster feat for all four of the required spellcasting classes. One large advantage this class would have over any other full caster is the amount of spells it would get. Perhaps make it so that instead, you can cast two spells at the same time, requiring that they share the same target, x/day?

As Silva pointed out, this is indeed weak at low levels. I would move the the dead casting level to somewhere where it wouldn't hurt so bad, mabye like 5th or so?

And I would get rid of the metamagic feat at 1st, as the only metamagic feats you would be able to use at that level wouldn't be of any considerable help.

ericgrau
2011-08-08, 01:19 AM
In case it isn't clear when you hit the 1st level of this PrC you can cast a 3rd level spell from magical savant as a 5th level character, though only twice per day: once plus the bonus spell you probably have. Likewise for 2nd level spells. That's part of why I stuck the dead level at the same level as magical savant.

The idea is to be similar to a full caster, but very briefly. Thus avoiding the drawbacks theurges tend to have on short days, while not getting any extra advantage on longer days except a large number of low level spells. I could perhaps eliminate the bonus spells to bring the ability down further. Or I'm thinking maybe there should even be another dead level somehow, so even using the savant spell it's no better than a sorcerer.

I'll go update the wording on entry requirements.

Morph Bark
2011-08-10, 09:15 AM
What, no Concentration skill rank requirements? :smalltongue:

Either way, this is interesting. I've seen three-way theurges before and four different types of magic combined, but not this, even though you'd think to see it sooner than a four-type magic combo.

Hmmm... Archivist/Wu Jen/Wizard/Warlock... yummy.

Draz74
2011-08-10, 11:30 AM
Spirit Shaman / Sorcerer / Ur-Priest / Sublime Chord? :smallamused: