PDA

View Full Version : Zombie hoard.

aazru
2011-08-07, 02:40 PM
Been contemplating motivations and character of a hypothetical necromancer I might play soon(dread necro/sand shaper). As a guardian of an ancient desert necropolis, devoid of intelligent company, he encounters the bane of all immortal beings: boredom. Looking around for tips and stuff I found Haunt Shift... :xykon: :evilgasm: he he.

To the point: Take a gold coin. Haunt Shift a zombie into it with a simple command set(attack anything that takes the coin, preferably timed in some way, parameters for retreat) into it. Repeat until bored. Place this "treasure" in moderately hack'n'slashable dungeon.

Desired effect: Greedy McGoldlover suddenly finds himself in the middle of manifesting zombie horde. Hilarity Ensues. :smallamused:

Questions:
1. I'm dealing with undead creation and manipulation for the firs time. Were mindless undead doing the last set(is it set to just one Command?) of commands after you lose control over them? Or was that constructs?
2. Do I choose the form of haunting when I cast the spell?
3. Is it generally doable?
4. What precautions do I need to do to not get attacked after losing control over shifted horde and dealing with the treasure. Beyond abusing knowledge of the last set of commands.
5. What do you think of this idea? :smallbiggrin:

Daftendirekt
2011-08-07, 03:32 PM
I came in here all ready to say "It's 'horde' not 'hoard'". But it was a play-on words. :smallconfused:

So, cool idea.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-07, 03:57 PM
What undead do after they are released from control. What mindless undead do is up to the DM, but many undead are intelegent and do as they wish.

Now there is an undead that are easy to mass create and are expecialy deadly in large numbers.

Wights.

Now to create a wight you simply need to kill something with negative levels. Fell drain works great for this.

Now it raises the 24 hours later as a wight, no exp or money loss. You don't control it, but that doesn't sound like control is imortant to you..

Coidzor
2011-08-07, 03:59 PM
Questions:
1. I'm dealing with undead creation and manipulation for the firs time. Were mindless undead doing the last set(is it set to just one Command?) of commands after you lose control over them? Or was that constructs?

It's not very well defined, from what I recall. So this has lead to some individuals taking rationalizing it into their own hands. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19527634/Tome_of_Necromancy)

2. Do I choose the form of haunting when I cast the spell?

Yes, I believe you specify if they are either manifestors or make the item into an animated object at the time of casting.

3. Is it generally doable?

Yes. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6315.0) Ish (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19862018/Expanding_on_Haunt_Shift?post_id=338125118).

4. What precautions do I need to do to not get attacked after losing control over shifted horde and dealing with the treasure. Beyond abusing knowledge of the last set of commands.

Lich-Loved or some other ability that makes you imperceptible to mindless undead.

5. What do you think of this idea? :smallbiggrin:

It's a novel one, but seems rather limited for actual play.