PDA

View Full Version : Improvised Weapons and a Sheath

Angeal976
2011-08-07, 04:25 PM
Okay, so I had an idea of makin a character who mostly doesn't use two weapon fighting, but he does use it sometimes, and I wanted the two weapon defense AC bonus. I thought it would be cool/flavorful if I gave him a katana, and had him use his sheath as his off hand weapon. So I looked at the rules for imrpvised weapons. No proficiency with them, so -4 to attacks rolls, and the damage is based off weight. The problem is a sword case isn't listed (at least as far as I know) in any sort of equipment or items. This means I don't know how much it weighs, so I can't know how much damage it does. Would a case just do no damage then? Would it be for the DM to decide? Also is here anyone to get rid of the -4 to attack rolls?

Quietus
2011-08-07, 05:14 PM
Honestly, I'd just use the shield stats for the sheath, probably a light shield. Looking at it literally it may seem odd, but what is it you want to do with it?

- Use the sheath to block attacks? Check. You can do that.
- Use it to whack people with? Check, shield bashing is a go.

Grab Improved Shield Bash and you keep AC while smacking people with it, and just say that it's a reinforced sheath specifically made to withstand such use. You probably get proficiency with shields from most classes I could see serving as a good base for this, so your proficiency issues are covered.

Angeal976
2011-08-07, 06:59 PM
Honestly, I'd just use the shield stats for the sheath, probably a light shield. Looking at it literally it may seem odd, but what is it you want to do with it?

- Use the sheath to block attacks? Check. You can do that.
- Use it to whack people with? Check, shield bashing is a go.

Grab Improved Shield Bash and you keep AC while smacking people with it, and just say that it's a reinforced sheath specifically made to withstand such use. You probably get proficiency with shields from most classes I could see serving as a good base for this, so your proficiency issues are covered.

Hm. Maybe. I guess it will just have to be up to my DM. Maybe he can stat out a sheath for me or something, or maybe that will work. I will email him, and ask.

Elric VIII
2011-08-07, 07:21 PM
In the Oriental Adventures book (p74) there is an exotic weapon called the Ninja-to.

It uses the statistics of the shortsword but the sheath can be used as a blowgun, breathing tube, ladder rung, or a club.

This seems to be what you're looking for, ask your DM for a Bastard Sword (Katana) version of this.

Angeal976
2011-08-07, 07:28 PM
In the Oriental Adventures book (p74) there is an exotic weapon called the Ninja-to.

It uses the statistics of the shortsword but the sheath can be used as a blowgun, breathing tube, ladder rung, or a club.

This seems to be what you're looking for, ask your DM for a Bastard Sword (Katana) version of this.

Now that seems like a very good idea. I will ask for sure, and if I have to I suppose I could just use a ninja-to.

BiblioRook
2011-08-07, 10:12 PM
Pathfinder actually has a surprisingly great deal of mechanics for using a sheath in combat (including a whole list of combat skill tricks!)
Here's (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons) just the 'weapon' info (under one-handed melee, both simple and martial) and here's (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/equipment-trick-combat) the scabbard skill tricks. They require additional feats to use (none of which TWF) and none of them are actually straight-up defensive, but they are still pretty nifty and worth checking out (I particularly like the disarming one, the mental image that goes with it is both hilarious and awesome).

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-07, 10:17 PM
Sooo I assume you want to be Ikkaku from bleach? :smallbiggrin: make sure you take leadership and then have your cohort call everyone ugly :smallbiggrin:.