PDA

View Full Version : Infinite Wishes?

DragonOfUndeath
2011-08-07, 05:10 PM
I'm going to be playing in a silly lvl40 Gestalt game (the premise is to conquer the Prime...because we were dared too) and I can't remember how to properly Bind outsiders so they can.
And which Outsiders have the best return for their Bindings.

I'm planning on buying a Custom Item of the spell (not a Cleric or Wizard) so how much would it cost? $$$ is no real object cause I have 13million of it.

So what spell should I use and what Outsider should I get?

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-07, 05:21 PM
First question would be wether or not epic spellcasting is allowed. And if infinite wishes are allowed, I would suggest chain gating solars to kill anything.

To answer your question, Efreetis are the standard to get infinite wishes. Make sure to simulacrum them so that they follow you. THe spell to call them is planar binding.

Coidzor
2011-08-07, 05:30 PM
Candle of Invocation allows for getting an Efreet which allows for starting an infinite wish loop, IIRC.

Simulacra & an eternally expanding army thereof, are of course, the kind of playthings that Wizards of around... 17th-20th level, I think, just sort of have lying around the ethereal plane.

As far as raw power & abilities, Solars cast as 20th level clerics or something. Then again, even Planetars have 9th level cleric spells.

I think Ethergaunts have natural wizard casting & are outsiders, so you could get 9th level wizard spells too.

Not sure about druid-list casting, but between cleric & wizard you've probably got all you need for minions.

DragonOfUndeath
2011-08-07, 05:48 PM
First question would be wether or not epic spellcasting is allowed. And if infinite wishes are allowed, I would suggest chain gating solars to kill anything.

To answer your question, Efreetis are the standard to get infinite wishes. Make sure to simulacrum them so that they follow you. THe spell to call them is planar binding.

No Epic Spellcasting unfortunately. Though since I'm not a standard caster (both sides are homebrew, one is from Avatar: Last Airbender, the other is the Harrowing on these forums) it doesn't matter to me much.

Candle of Invocation allows for getting an Efreet which allows for starting an infinite wish loop, IIRC.

Simulacra & an eternally expanding army thereof, are of course, the kind of playthings that Wizards of around... 17th-20th level, I think, just sort of have lying around the ethereal plane.

As far as raw power & abilities, Solars cast as 20th level clerics or something. Then again, even Planetars have 9th level cleric spells.

I think Ethergaunts have natural wizard casting & are outsiders, so you could get 9th level wizard spells too.

Not sure about druid-list casting, but between cleric & wizard you've probably got all you need for minions.

So Candle of Invocation to get an Efreet, then Chain/Wish in Ethergaunts and Solars then Wish they were Simulacra'ed?

Tvtyrant
2011-08-07, 05:51 PM
Use activated wish items wouldn't actually cost all that much for a level 40 character, a couple mil maybe.

Jack_Simth
2011-08-07, 05:53 PM
I'm going to be playing in a silly lvl40 Gestalt game (the premise is to conquer the Prime...because we were dared too) and I can't remember how to properly Bind outsiders so they can.
And which Outsiders have the best return for their Bindings.

I'm planning on buying a Custom Item of the spell (not a Cleric or Wizard) so how much would it cost? $$$ is no real object cause I have 13million of it.

So what spell should I use and what Outsider should I get?
Well, a Ring of Wish at will, going by guidelines (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm), would cost:

First, the component cost: 100 * XP component = 500,000 xp = 2,500,000 gp
Second, the cost for a 9th level spell as a command-word: 1,800 gp * caster level * spell level = 1,800*17*9=275,400 gp market (or 11,016 xp, 137,700 gp).

Totaling out to: 2,775,400 gp market cost (and you're not going to be able to come up with that 511,016 xp yourself, so you won't be crafting it).

And you risk getting Dispelled / Disjoined of any buffs you put up, the save DC (where applicable) is only 23 (for the level, that's "don't roll a 1"), and anything with decent amounts of SR can't be affected directly (Caster level 17... when the basic Clerical Spell Resistance spell at... 40th, you said? ... grants SR 52).

Also: That's assuming you're not affected by the clause in Epic Magic Items (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/basics.htm) which goes "Has a market price above 200,000 gp, not including material costs for armor or weapons, material component- or experience point-based costs, or additional value for intelligent items." and carries with it "multiply the portion of the market price derived from that characteristic by 10" making that 2,754,000 for the 9th level spell at caster level 17, and 2,500,000 gp for the XP component, for a final cost of 5,254,000 gp market. On the plus side, each caster level above 17th only costs an extra 162,000 gp market, so you do have a method by which to get the caster level up to something useful.

As for infinite wishes by other means? Efreeti are the standard means - they can grant a nongenie three wishes, once per day. Get one, Simulacrum it. Chain-gating Solars can also do it (you can also Simulacrum the Solar). Oh yes, and there's an Epic Rod (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/rods.htm#excellentMagic) that'll help with this.

gkathellar
2011-08-07, 06:12 PM
It's far easier to just run a Planar Shepherd. Transform into an efreet, get infinite wishes, ????, profit.

Dragon Star
2011-08-07, 06:32 PM
Can't wish create magic item? So couldn't you just use wish to wish for a ring of three wishes? and use one of it's wishes to wish for another ring? Why bother with an Efreet?

Jack_Simth
2011-08-07, 06:34 PM
It's far easier to just run a Planar Shepherd. Transform into an efreet, get infinite wishes, ????, profit.There's a couple of problems with that.
1) The Efreeti can't grant wishes to himself (you'll need a collaberator)
2) You're limited by the Efreeti's limits when you do that (3 wishes, once per day... or with a generous interpretation, 3 wishes, once per day per use of Wildshape to become an Efreeti).

This method is not sufficient to maintain minutes/level buffs all day (the Ring of Wish-at-will is, however).

Plus, you know, he doesn't want to play a caster directly.

Can't wish create magic item? So couldn't you just use wish to wish for a ring of three wishes? and use one of it's wishes to wish for another ring? Why bother with an Efreet?
Wish requires you pay double the crafting XP cost, plus the 5k XP for Wish. And you've got that pesky issue with items of XP-costing spells that they have a specific amount of XP in them for the purpose - which means you lose out, big time, attempting such things yourself.

Using a Lawful-Evil Candle of Invocation to Gate in an Efreeti, and order it to use it's *XP FREE* Spell-like Wishes for you (one of which you use to make another LE Candle of Invocation) technically works... as long as the Called Efreeti hasn't already used the ability for the day.

Aharon
2011-08-07, 09:06 PM
@DragonOfUndeath
You could also use one of the Candle-gated Efreeti Wishes to wish for a ring of infinite Gate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gate.htm). That way, you get access to Wish, Gate and almost anything else you might need.