PDA

View Full Version : Falling Skies (TNT Series)

GenericGuy
2011-08-07, 06:05 PM
The two hour season finale is tonight, and I think I heard its already been green lit for a second season, but does the series have any fans on this board?

Personally, I’ve watched every episode but I’m honestly not that excited about the show. I don’t know what it is but the series really hasn’t hooked me, and I feel I watch more out of obligation as a nerd and wanting more Sci-Fi series to succeed so more networks will pick them up than legitimate liking of the show. The only character I can say I really like is Pope, all the other characters are just meh to me.

Maxios
2011-08-07, 06:07 PM
I have not seen the show yet, but if it has The Pope going around kicking alien a**, I'll have to watch re-runs of it :smalltongue:

In all seriousness, the show does look pretty cool but I don't know what time it comes on so I always end up missing it.

Tazar
2011-08-07, 10:10 PM
The show's been fairly decent fare so far. It's nothing special, but Buffy taught me that you need to stick with shows that show promise and give them a chance to really find their legs, so that's what I'm giving Falling Skies.

My only real complaint is that, as mentioned, not many of the characters really "pop" for me, Pope and Weaver aside. The premise is interesting, the mythology has promise, but the characters need a little extra zing, if you will.

VanBuren
2011-08-08, 12:24 PM
It's too afraid to commit to itself, I think. It introduces and wraps up plots too quick to really give them any depth or gravity.

Remember that two-part episode a while back, that introduced a twist in the last five minutes, but then wrapped everything up by the end of the very next episode.

The dude who traded kids to Skitters guy

And then the two-part finale. They had to have been greenlit for a second season. There's no other way they would have had such a lackluster finale (save the last 15 minutes maybe).

And the whole mutiny thing? That's the kind of subplot that really needs room to breathe. Yeah, conflict had sort of existed on the fringe there since the pilot, but they had developed a sort of mutual respect and then 180 I DONT TRUST ANYONE AT ALL EVER CHARGE THE FIELD! and then 40 minutes later, the status quo had been resolved. I mean, a mutiny when over half the armed warriors are loyal to the Captain? That's like half a season's worth of subplot right there.

Starbuck_II
2011-08-08, 04:13 PM
The two hour season finale is tonight, and I think I heard its already been green lit for a second season, but does the series have any fans on this board?

Personally, I’ve watched every episode but I’m honestly not that excited about the show. I don’t know what it is but the series really hasn’t hooked me, and I feel I watch more out of obligation as a nerd and wanting more Sci-Fi series to succeed so more networks will pick them up than legitimate liking of the show. The only character I can say I really like is Pope, all the other characters are just meh to me.

Yes, i love the show.

So much qustions unanswered though.

Are Skitters really just kids captured before initial invasion and harnessed?
What happened to all the wild animals in the show (forest usually have 1 or 2 squirrels)?

I like Matt (the harnessed kid) but not the black one (as he acted traitorous).
Sure, both are druggies (from harness) but even with wanting their "fix", betraying humankind seems wrong. Matt stayed loyal.

I like Pope as a character: anti-hero dude.

The Professor: is pretty badass though.

Visserian
2011-08-08, 11:57 PM

I'm kind of with you on this. I originally was interested in the show because, well, its sci-fi. Alien invasion on earth, ragtag remnants of humanity fighting for survival in a world torn apart by an apocalyptic situation. It sounded right up my alley. However half the time, the show seemed to jump between sci-fi story with the human spirit attempting to survive in a hostile new world, and hackneyed family drama in a bizarre backdrop.

I stayed with the show out of the same sense of obligation. I started watching it with my boyfriend because decent Sci-fi is hard to find, and we are both huge sci-fi fans. I'm kept watching in the hopes that the show would find its feet and live up to its potential.

I've been watching it from the beginning and there are just so many parts in the show where I just roll my eyes and beg for the next scene to start, generally anything involving Tom's youngest son Matt or the other kid Jimmy, neither one of which I can stand, or the parts where the characters don't do anything I would consider pragmatic or rational given the circumstances. The only characters that even hold my interest are Pope, Tom, and to a lesser extent Maggie and Hal. Everyone else could pretty much die or disappear forever, particularly Tom's youngest son and Jimmy.

I was truly hoping the finale would blow me away, but the mutiny storyline seemed so rushed, when it could have developed into an amazing plotline if it was given time to breathe and develop. The humans working with/for the skitters should have been developed more as well. Except for a few scenes here and there I never really bought that these people were hanging on by a thread in a devastated world scrounging for resources, half the time I felt like everyone there was on a really bad camping trip. And the final scene didn't 'wow' me, it had me actively wondering

why Tom went with Karen and the tall alien, when it been shown repeatedly that the aliens can't be trusted. I half expected Weaver to just blow the big alien away when Tom was walking towards it and was disappointed when it didn't. I'll just hold back on why Tom felt he needed to even go to battle at the end to give yet another history reference when he should have been helping evacuate the civilians instead of passing it off to Maggie about 5 mins after he got his orders.

I just find the show to be so much wasted potential.

C-Lam
2011-08-09, 02:45 PM
I really liked the the show. I think it has a good plot, and good characters.
Although it does feel very rushed. Like they had to turn 15 episodes into 10.

The season finale wasnt that good, but it was decent. It definetivly made me want to watch another season of it, so that worked.

But the next season isnt comming until next summer, so we'll gonna have to wait quite a while for that.