PDA

View Full Version : PaO for Immortality

Tono
2011-08-07, 10:18 PM
So, Im looking around and I noticed in the Polymorph skills no where does it mention whether or not one takes on the natural life span of its new form or keep its old, [unless I missed something, which is highly possible] so I was wondering, why not just keep PoA'n yourself to a younger person? Am I just missing something here, or is it so obvious that nobody ever brings it up?
And yes, Google failed me and I want to make sure before I spring it on some people as an option.

Drachasor
2011-08-07, 10:23 PM
Eh, if you are the GM, you could allow that to work. Or you could not. It is your call.

Personally that seems like a cheap way to do it. I'd go for something more Epic and involved if I were you.

Cruiser1
2011-08-07, 10:35 PM
Polymorph Any Object (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/polymorphAnyObject.htm) is a spell with a duration (sometimes a permanent duration) meaning it can expire or be dispelled. Polymorphing into a younger version of yourself (or a young body in general) probably doesn't change the fact the real you is still aging at a normal rate.

However, since you take the type and subtype of the creature you polymorph into, you might be able to select a creature type immune to aging, such as Outsider or Fey. If you are polymorphed into an Angel for 10 years, then dismiss the polymorph, are you 10 years older, or the same physical age as when you cast the spell?

Burgod
2011-08-07, 10:38 PM
Would one be able to cast a spell polymorphed? Wouldn't you still just age normally, benefitting none what-so-ever (except the gain of str, dex, or con and the special abilities and the likes)? I mean sure you could polymorph and be younger til the duration is over, but then wouldn't you revert to a 79 year old human after the 20 minutes (non-metamagic'd) and still vulnerable of death by old age?

Edit: Of course unless permananced.

tanderson11
2011-08-07, 10:54 PM
Well . . . you just cast PaO twice on yourself to achieve permanent duration.

NNescio
2011-08-07, 11:00 PM
Well . . . you just cast PaO twice on yourself to achieve permanent duration.

PaOing into yourself is already going to be permanent anyway.

Still, the caster in question should be wary of AMFs and enemy dispels, but that's really not an insurmountable problem.

Tono
2011-08-07, 11:30 PM
Yes, AMFs would proabably be a problem, but casted enough times Dispell really wouldn't be an issue. Assuming that its not a huge caster level difference, with enough PoAs casted on yourself, your bound to save one permanented effects from it.

But, so as far as I can gather, when something is Polymorphed the normal them does age normally, because it works like Alterself, but they take on the Normal Age Limit of the new thing they PoA'd into(Or else like turning into an outsider wouldn't work)?

Curmudgeon
2011-08-07, 11:48 PM
Yes, AMFs would proabably be a problem, but casted enough times Dispell really wouldn't be an issue. Assuming that its not a huge caster level difference, with enough PoAs casted on yourself, your bound to save one permanented effects from it.
No, just one targeted dispel will do the job.
Targeted Dispel

One object, creature, or spell is the target of the dispel magic spell. You make a dispel check (1d20 + your caster level, maximum +10) against the spell or against each ongoing spell currently in effect on the object or creature. The DC for this dispel check is 11 + the spell’s caster level. If you succeed on a particular check, that spell is dispelled; if you fail, that spell remains in effect. Targeted against Polymorph Any Object, one targeted dispel will remove that spell, regardless of how many iterations have been cast.

Tono
2011-08-08, 12:14 AM
No, just one targeted dispel will do the job. Targeted against Polymorph Any Object, one targeted dispel will remove that spell, regardless of how many iterations have been cast.

Oh, okay, that clears it up a bit I assumed because of the stacking rules,

The same spell can sometimes produce varying effects if applied to the same recipient more than once. Usually the last spell in the series trumps the others. None of the previous spells are actually removed or dispelled, but their effects become irrelevant while the final spell in the series lasts.

That as long as you made minor changes to your self each then the different permanent spells would stack allowing you to take multiple dispell checks against the casting. (and it would fall in the each ongoing spell category)

Callista
2011-08-08, 01:37 AM
I'd let it work; but do it often enough, and you'd have Inevitables on your tail.

Immortality in general isn't really a powerful thing in D&D. Invulnerability, sure; but when's the last time you actually saw an adventurer die of old age (when time-warps and deliberately Venerable characters weren't involved)?

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-08, 02:08 AM
I'd let it work; but do it often enough, and you'd have Inevitables on your tail.

Immortality in general isn't really a powerful thing in D&D. Invulnerability, sure; but when's the last time you actually saw an adventurer die of old age (when time-warps and deliberately Venerable characters weren't involved)?

In neverwinter your character dies of old age... because they stop letting you control him...